• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Booster box suggestions

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Aug 2, 2019
My son, 8, has been collecting Pokemon cards for the last year or so. He probably has a few hundred cards now. He's expressed interest in actually learning how to play the game, and I'd like to get him a booster box to potentially have more complete/compatible sets.

So, the question is: Is there a certain booster box I should or should not buy as an absolute beginner?

Any other related insight you'd like to give is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for the help folks. It's truly appreciated!

Years
My son, 8, has been collecting Pokemon cards for the last year or so. He probably has a few hundred cards now. He's expressed interest in actually learning how to play the game, and I'd like to get him a booster box to potentially have more complete/compatible sets.

So, the question is: Is there a certain booster box I should or should not buy as an absolute beginner?

Any other related insight you'd like to give is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much for the help folks. It's truly appreciated!

As absolute beginners, your best bet is buying one of the theme decks that exist, like the Let's Play! Pikachu and Let's Play! Eevee ones, at least as far as learning to play goes. Those should be fairly easy decks to learn how to play with.

If you plan on attending leagues, buy a booster box of Unbroken Bonds, and then buy cards for your league decks going forward as singles. Sets are very large now (over 200 cards in each) so it's a lot harder to pull what you need for a deck in a booster pack now, so unless you're attached to the feeling you get from opening booster packs, you're financially better off buying singles to play. You may also want to consider buying the box of 450 energy cards, as you will need energy to run decks, and that's one of the more cost effective ways to get energy, since you only get 1 energy card per booster pack.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today

Its probably best to get him on the Trading Card Game Online app so he can learn the ropes without any investment in physical product that would likely not be very usable beyond teaching him early on.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 19, 2019
I thought it would be good for the energies as well. As for playing the game thought it could be a good base to get started. Though I am new.

Years
The problem is, Elite Trainer Boxes aren't decks. They're just a storage box with 8 boosters, 40 energy cards, themed card sleeves, and themed counters and tokens. You can't build a functional deck from 8 booster packs as the cards will be too random and haphazard and you'll get maybe enough of 1 evolution line to actually use any of the evolved Pokemon you pull.

They're good value if you've got a deck or two already and are looking to get sleeves, counters, tokens, and a storage box alongside several booster packs, though.

Source: have bought tons of Elite Trainer Boxes over the years I've been collecting.

Last edited:
Back