• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Breeding Question

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
Years
I'm trying to breed a team with the right egg moves and the right natures, which is going to be an excruciatingly long and difficult process. What I wanted to ask is: if I breed an egg in one game and then trade the egg to another, will it reduce the step count needed to hatch the egg while running around in the second game?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
  • Age 52
  • Utah
  • Seen Jul 27, 2010
This should be asked in the Breeding Section. Hopefully a mod will move it there.

To answer your quesiton, the only way to reduce the number of steps for the egg to hatch is to trade the egg to Emerald and then have a Poke with the Flame Body/Magma Armor in your party. Its ability will cut the number of steps needed to hatch an egg by nearly half. Plus, the path from Route 118 to Verdanturf is straight, so it is much easier to ride your Mach Bike back and forth. I have also calculated that it takes roughly 250 steps for a full rotation from the DC, to Route 118, to Verdanturf, to the DC. That is 1000 steps for every 4 full rotations.

Ichida

Years
Sorry, I'm still new, I don't know where everything is. ^^;;

The thing is: I want to train in Emerald, so I want to hatch in LeafGreen. I guess I'll have to train in LeafGreen, just to speed up the progress.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
Years
  • Age 52
  • Utah
  • Seen Jul 27, 2010
No, you want to breed in Emerald. It has many extra elements added to the breeding process that the other games just don't have. I have outlined the most important above. Mach Bike + Mauville route + Slugma + Everstone + Ditto = EASY breeding. Go to the Breeding section and read a bit there and you will find out what I am talking about.

Ichida

Years
*nod nod*

Would this work?

Breeding the egg in Emerald, then ride around until it reaches the "About to hatch!" message, then trade it to LeafGreen and hatch it, then trade back for the boosted experience.

Ichida

Years
Excellent. I tried it with a Meditite and it's working. Weeeee~ Team optimization wo getto ze!

VanirElf

Dragon Trainer
Years
boosted experience will only level you up faster but it's EV training that's important, and you can do that in either game.

since you can already trade with emerald I suggest you go get u'r macho brace in leafgreen if you haven't already.
it's in viridian gym, you have to use the item finder where Geovani was standing. it doubles the amount of ev's earned in battle.

EV training is WAY more important than level training.

Ichida

Years
*nod*

I'm currently doing EV training for my team, with Macho Brace equipped. Doing some speed training in Altering Cave~

And yes, I have three Macho Braces, kyahaha.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
Years
I'll give you a few tips, since I am the resident Breeding Expert around here:

Get your nature sorted first. I got a box full of Ditto all with different Natures, which is the easiest way of doing it. Strap on an Everstone with the nature you want, and breed til you get a female (if you're after egg moves as well).

It's already mentioned, but you can use a Pokemon with either Flame Body or Magma Armor to speed up the time the egg takes to hatch. If you're planning to hatch eggs in Leaf Green as well, this helps you get some trainer stickers for egg hatching, if you like that sort of thing.

A few EV training places for Emerald:

HP: Rusturf Tunnel, gives only Whismur (1 point)
Attack: Inside Mt Pyre, gives Shuppet (1 point). Duskull appears rarely, just run away from them.
Defence: Magma Base, gives Geodude (1 point), Graveller (2 points) and Torkoal (2 points).
Speed: Either use Altering Cave for Zubat (1 point), or the grass in Route 118. This gives Zigzagoon (1 point), Linoone (2 points), Wingull (1 point), Electrike (1 point), Manectric (2 points). Kecleon also appears rarely, but just run from these.
Sp Att: Route 113, gives Spinda (1 points), and Slugma (1 point). Skarmory appears rare here, run from these.
Sp Def: Inside Abandoned Ship, in the dive point. This gives Tentacool (1 point) and Tentacruel (2 points). A lot of water routes also just have these two, but often you'll find Wingull as well.

Back