ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old June 22nd, 2013 (4:34 AM).
  • Crystal Tier

They all share map footers. You can see the map footers in the Professional view (ctrl+h) of the header tab in advance map.

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 22nd, 2013 (5:21 AM).
Mew!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Midnight Bear View Post
    I don't really do much (or, really, any) mapping, so I apologize if this is obvious.

Okay, there are some maps - I'll call them "linked maps", because I don't know of the real term (or if one even exists) - that share all of their map tiles, but with different map banks, events, people and warps. Some examples are Pokemon Centers and regular houses. I know they do this because any changes made to the map of one show up in the others.

How do these so-called linked maps work? Is there any way to delink them? Or to link together new maps?
    the pokecenter is just a map that has been made several times... you can alter each one if you like

same with the regular house maps... its just been made exactly the same repeatedly... they are not the same or "linked" in any way, they just were made to look the same.

you can change the pokecenters tileset to match a cave if you want... make the varidian pokecenter have a surfable lake in the middle... it wont hurt the other pokecenters...
    Old June 22nd, 2013 (6:21 AM).
    Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by LocksmithArmy View Post
      the pokecenter is just a map that has been made several times... you can alter each one if you like

same with the regular house maps... its just been made exactly the same repeatedly... they are not the same or "linked" in any way, they just were made to look the same.

you can change the pokecenters tileset to match a cave if you want... make the varidian pokecenter have a surfable lake in the middle... it wont hurt the other pokecenters...
      The Pokécentres one isn't true, at least. If you modify the map data of a Pokécentre, it's reflected in all other (linked) Pokécentres.

This is because they all share a single footer, which in turn means that they all share ONE set of map data.

By manually setting a footer equal to another footer, you can easily create these "linked" maps, and by extension, you can easily "unlink" the maps by creating a virtually identical footer which simply points to a separate set of map data (it can share everything else).
      Old June 22nd, 2013 (7:34 AM).

Okay, thank you. That makes sense.

To be honest, I was expecting something more like a table of map banks and numbers that share a map. But this is actually even simpler to expand / edit.
        Old June 22nd, 2013 (2:35 PM). Edited June 22nd, 2013 by XxAtlazxX.

Nature: Hasty
          Alright. I've come to a huge halt in my hacking. I've built a city from the ground up, completely deleted all other maps. Now Gogojjtech recommended to use SMCA for that was my original problem. But now the program wont work. I place the bank and map level i want to spawn but no matter what i do it just wont let me start the game after giving the rival his name. Could this program have corrupted my game ROM or am I just plain stupid?

p.s.
          It does the same with Emerald.

OK iv'e made some progress. Apparently switching the music lets me spawn!!! I am annoyed now. Well anyways its hard to know what is what in the music section for it doesn't displays the name of the song its like it's glitched or something. Now the next problem. It still wont function for my Emerald .gba.

[Update]
          Ok so i get myself to start spawn now but now it wont even let me warp out of my house. The game freezes with the song playing in the background but the screen remains black.

Alright so iv'e notice something, every time I save I must change the music on every map otherwise it freezes the game. Is there something I can do to prevent this from happening EVERY single time?
          Old June 22nd, 2013 (10:20 PM).
          so much fail...

Nature: Modest
            does A-map support 7-digits now? I mean, if i hack emerald and prevent sound corruption... i would be forced to use a 32mb rom, so that'd be quite a letdown. Not that it's a problem as A-map just supposedly makes things easier (things A-map can do may still be done through other tools), and i can also just choose to ignore the sound corruption.

But still... better knowing than not.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
            Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
            Old June 23rd, 2013 (12:23 AM).

I want to modify the wild Zigzagoon battle that occurs in Pokémon Emerald after you choose a Pokémon from Professor Birch's bag. I've looked at the script in XSE, and "wildbattle" is NEVER invoked. It seems like the entire scenario between checking the bag and the end of the battle is dealt with by something called "special 0x9F", and will require specific instructions to modify. I want to invoke a trainer battle with a Team Aqua grunt here instead of encountering a wild Zigzagoon.

I have tried adding "trainerbattle" to the script the bag uses, but the best result I can get by that method is fighting a trainer immediately AFTER fighting the wild Zigzagoon.

It seems a lot like the problem I had with "special 0xD6" and changing the Ralts into an Abra and the Pokémon Wally was given into an Absol with Taunt.

I'm sure this is fairly simple to fix, and that someone has done it before... I just have not seen a solution to this problem posted anywhere.
              Old June 23rd, 2013 (5:49 AM).

karatekid552, Do you have a link to the beta download for the trainer editor?
                Old June 23rd, 2013 (7:34 AM). Edited June 23rd, 2013 by karatekid552.
                What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by pokefreake View Post
                  karatekid552, Do you have a link to the beta download for the trainer editor?
                  Not at the moment. The latest version right now is over 9 days old and I know that Jambo has done a lot more to it since then.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
                  I want to modify the wild Zigzagoon battle that occurs in Pokémon Emerald after you choose a Pokémon from Professor Birch's bag. I've looked at the script in XSE, and "wildbattle" is NEVER invoked. It seems like the entire scenario between checking the bag and the end of the battle is dealt with by something called "special 0x9F", and will require specific instructions to modify. I want to invoke a trainer battle with a Team Aqua grunt here instead of encountering a wild Zigzagoon.

I have tried adding "trainerbattle" to the script the bag uses, but the best result I can get by that method is fighting a trainer immediately AFTER fighting the wild Zigzagoon.

It seems a lot like the problem I had with "special 0xD6" and changing the Ralts into an Abra and the Pokémon Wally was given into an Absol with Taunt.

I'm sure this is fairly simple to fix, and that someone has done it before... I just have not seen a solution to this problem posted anywhere.
                  Without using ASM to hack to the special, you would need to completely script a new intro that does not use it. For example, you could pull a Red and have the three pokeballs lying on the ground. Or, you could do something like I did once and have it so when you press A in front of the bag, three pokeball OWs appear and (using movement commands) "bounce" out of the bag and land in the positions you want them to.

Paired with Simba
                  Old June 23rd, 2013 (2:58 PM).
                  Saint

Nature: Calm
                    Couldn't really find the answer anywhere else so, I was wondering how to change the options that the Badge Man in Cerulean City gives, I wanted to change each badge to a different Pokémon.
                    Old June 23rd, 2013 (3:30 PM).

Is Advance Text really malicious? If it is how would I edit the opening in Fire Red?
                      Old June 23rd, 2013 (5:00 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by pokefreake View Post
                        Is Advance Text really malicious? If it is how would I edit the opening in Fire Red?
                        Your anti-virus (and any virus protection for that matter) is crap when it comes to tools for rom hacking. It is not malicious.

Paired with Simba
                        Old June 23rd, 2013 (5:06 PM).
                        (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
                        • Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
                        I know I usually help with answering q's around here, but I have not been able to successfully edit a worldmap for FR. The two tuts I found on here didn't help me or my fellow friend, and I'm at a loss. I did find the tileset, since it's different for jpan's hack and a normal rom.
                        Here's My worldmap, by NikNaks

I haven't found the raw or pallet either. Plus editing the town locations may be harder, or simply by editing bytes. I don't know. I just need simple instructions to help me get on the correct path.

Support me at my site!
                        Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
                        Old June 23rd, 2013 (6:21 PM). Edited June 24th, 2013 by pokefreake.

So I downloaded Advance Text. I got the missing file, and missing ini's, but now I have an error. It says "Run=time error '13' Type mismatch"
                          Also are there ini's for Fire Red or Ruby? I found one for Emerald, but not these. It doesn't matter if they are complete. I just need to be able to edit the intro with it.

Edit: Ok I used a different download and it worked. (thanks gogojjtech!) Now I think the download might be the cause of the problem I've had with Advance Trainer. Can someone give me a working download link for Advance Trainer?
                          Old June 24th, 2013 (5:14 AM).

I finally have the time to realize my project! This being said, I have one basic question:

I want to create an adult version (not meaning anything sexual, drugrelated, eg.) focusing on storyline, monologs, dialogs and relations between characters and also between characters and pokemon. The only way I can see realizing that, would be making the game very linear and onedimensional.

Do you guys think the community would be open for a very linear Pokemongame, meaning that the usual Pokemon experience will change totally, for the sake of having an actual story, plot and depth ? I'm not very sure if something comparable has already been tried as there are so many hacks around.. is there a very succesful example of anything that I want to do myself ?

The thing is, I really want to know some opinions before getting into such an out-of-the-box project. I plan to significally change the metrics of the game, in order to try something completely new.

What do you think ?
                            Old June 24th, 2013 (8:11 AM).
                            Self Proclaimed Expert

Nature: Relaxed
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Impergator View Post
                              I finally have the time to realize my project! This being said, I have one basic question:

I want to create an adult version (not meaning anything sexual, drugrelated, eg.) focusing on storyline, monologs, dialogs and relations between characters and also between characters and pokemon. The only way I can see realizing that, would be making the game very linear and onedimensional.

Do you guys think the community would be open for a very linear Pokemongame, meaning that the usual Pokemon experience will change totally, for the sake of having an actual story, plot and depth ? I'm not very sure if something comparable has already been tried as there are so many hacks around.. is there a very succesful example of anything that I want to do myself ?

The thing is, I really want to know some opinions before getting into such an out-of-the-box project. I plan to significally change the metrics of the game, in order to try something completely new.

What do you think ?
                              That may be something for the Quick Storyline Thread in the Progressing Hacks section, but I'm not sure. I might as well give my opinion though, so here goes. It depends on how linear you intend to make it. If you're planning on having it be so linear that you decide every Pokemon the player gets for them then yeah, that's kind of taking away from what makes Pokemon so great. But if you simply mean linear in storyline progression, then that's practically already done in the games, and should be fine.

Also, if you're looking for a hack with a good storyline, people keep mentioning Pokemon Dark Rising. I haven't played it personally, so I don't know for sure, but it might be a good thing to look at.
                              Old June 24th, 2013 (12:39 PM). Edited June 24th, 2013 by XxAtlazxX.

Alright guys lol. Here's another question. Is it possible to have download a corrupt version of AM 1.92? Every time that i feel things are going my way something happens!! and its very frustrating. So iv'e recreated a map about FOUR times and its a huge city. All because either because the main city gets corrupted or because the tileset gets corrupted. Literally i had a beautiful city done i was finishing the inside of a store when all of a sudden i get this message:
                                ACCESS OF VIOLATION AT ADDRESS 004CCB2A in Module 'AdvanceMap.exe' Read of Address 00000041:

What is this? My map is all black now and i can't even change the tileset. The back files that I had now also get this message I just don't get it. Ok, how does advance map 1,92 look? Does it have the square outline? or it doesnt. because iv'e downloaded two already one has it the other doesn't but they both say 1.92 in the properties.
                                Old June 24th, 2013 (2:57 PM).
                                • Gold Tier

It's not Am's problem, it's kind of yours. You repointed to non-free space somewhere along the line thus corrupting the map footer.

Support me at my site!
                                Old June 24th, 2013 (3:10 PM).

Hey all, I'm having a little trouble with the intro text. I'm using Advance Text to edit the intro text, but when I ran the game in vba, it showed a bunch of random letters and accents and whatnot after you enter the player's name. So I went into A-Text and looked at that part of the intro and this is what was there:

Spoiler:

Code:
                                  Right[...]
                                  So your name is [PLAYER]. I thought
                                  that sounded familar!Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]=Ê1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É;ÊË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]7É9É9É9É[&H78]Ê[U]Ê9É9É9É[&H78]Ê[U]Ê9É9É9É?ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]7ÉYÉ"É"É[&H80]Ê[&H81]Ê"É"É"É[&H80]Ê[&H81]Ê"ÉbÉcÉ?ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]7ÉVÉWÉ[&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32]-[&H32]D[&H32]·[&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H63][&H33]jÉkÉ?ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]7ÉdÉeÉ[&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][...][&H32][f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32][...][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H6B][&H33]rÉsÉ?ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30][&HA0]É0É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1ÉäÉ[&H8E][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]CÉ[f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32]CÉ[&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]ÜÉ1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É2É3É7É8É9É9É9É9É[&H7E]Ê[&H85]Ê[&H7F]Ê[&H5F]Ê9É9É9É\c[&H06][&H8E][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]KÉ[f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32]KÉ[&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]

É9É9É9É[&H5F]Ê[&H7E]Ê[&H85]Ê[&H7F]Ê9É9É9É9É!É?É7É"ÉôÊôÊôÊ"É[&H86]Ê[&H84]Ê[&H87]Ê[&H67]ÊôÊôÊôÊÇÊ[&H8E][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]SÉ[f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32]SÉ[&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]ÂÊôÊôÊôÊ[&H67]Ê[&H86]Ê[&H84]Ê[&H87]Ê"ÉôÊôÊôÊ'É?É7É[&H90][&H32][&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H87][&H32][&H8E][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H91][&H32]?É7É[&H8E][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]?É7É[&H8E][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]?É&Ê[BL][&H33][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H88][&H33][&H89][&H33][&H8A][&H33][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32]+Ê[&H31]Ê1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É[&H83]Ê0É1É1[&H32]1É2É[&H82]Ê1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É[&H32]Ê[&H39]Ê9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]'É8É\c[&H06]D[&H32]

É!É'É9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32][&H3A]Ê[&H41]Ê"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É'É"ÉÇÊD[&H32]ÂÊ'É'É"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32][&H42][&H33]ËÇË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]'É[&H90][&H32]-[&H32]D[&H32]·[&H32][&H91][&H32]'ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]'É[&H87][&H32][f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32][&H86][&H32]'ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]CÉ[&H87][&H32][f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32][&H86][&H32]CÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]4É[&H87][&H32]t[&H32]u[&H32]v[&H32][&H86][&H32]4ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30].ÉË[&H30][&H90][&H30][&H91][&H30][&H92][&H30]Ë[&H30].ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]À[Lv]  Æ É ÂÁ      Ì[&H8C]àË    Áñ  [&H18] Ì  Á              Ê Ê Â ÂÇï Ê Â ÁÇÑ Ú Â  Â[&H18]     ÂÆ Â     [&H1F] Ê     [&H62][&H8C]àËÌ Ê         ÁÈ Á'[&H3E][&H72]Ëp[&H3E][&H72]ËÏ[&H3F][&H72]ËÏ[&H3F][&H72]Ë

So I made a backup of my rom and deleted all of that text and opened the game in vba again. Now, the intro works properly, but it corrupted one of my maps. Does anyone know a way to fix this without corrupting a map?

ROMs I Support:
                                  Old June 24th, 2013 (3:33 PM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Sky93 View Post
                                    Hey all, I'm having a little trouble with the intro text. I'm using Advance Text to edit the intro text, but when I ran the game in vba, it showed a bunch of random letters and accents and whatnot after you enter the player's name. So I went into A-Text and looked at that part of the intro and this is what was there:

Spoiler:

Code:
                                    Right[...]
                                    So your name is [PLAYER]. I thought
                                    that sounded familar!Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]=Ê1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É;ÊË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]7É9É9É9É[&H78]Ê[U]Ê9É9É9É[&H78]Ê[U]Ê9É9É9É?ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]7ÉYÉ"É"É[&H80]Ê[&H81]Ê"É"É"É[&H80]Ê[&H81]Ê"ÉbÉcÉ?ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]7ÉVÉWÉ[&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32]-[&H32]D[&H32]·[&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H63][&H33]jÉkÉ?ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]7ÉdÉeÉ[&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][...][&H32][f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32][...][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H6B][&H33]rÉsÉ?ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30][&HA0]É0É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1ÉäÉ[&H8E][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]CÉ[f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32]CÉ[&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]ÜÉ1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É2É3É7É8É9É9É9É9É[&H7E]Ê[&H85]Ê[&H7F]Ê[&H5F]Ê9É9É9É\c[&H06][&H8E][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]KÉ[f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32]KÉ[&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]

É9É9É9É[&H5F]Ê[&H7E]Ê[&H85]Ê[&H7F]Ê9É9É9É9É!É?É7É"ÉôÊôÊôÊ"É[&H86]Ê[&H84]Ê[&H87]Ê[&H67]ÊôÊôÊôÊÇÊ[&H8E][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]SÉ[f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32]SÉ[&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]ÂÊôÊôÊôÊ[&H67]Ê[&H86]Ê[&H84]Ê[&H87]Ê"ÉôÊôÊôÊ'É?É7É[&H90][&H32][&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H87][&H32][&H8E][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H87][&H32][&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H71]Ê[&H91][&H32]?É7É[&H8E][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]?É7É[&H8E][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32][&H86][&H32]?É&Ê[BL][&H33][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H88][&H33][&H89][&H33][&H8A][&H33][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32][&H9F][&H32]+Ê[&H31]Ê1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É[&H83]Ê0É1É1[&H32]1É2É[&H82]Ê1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É1É[&H32]Ê[&H39]Ê9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]'É8É\c[&H06]D[&H32]

É!É'É9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32]9[&H32][&H3A]Ê[&H41]Ê"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É"É'É"ÉÇÊD[&H32]ÂÊ'É'É"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32]"[&H32][&H42][&H33]ËÇË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]'É[&H90][&H32]-[&H32]D[&H32]·[&H32][&H91][&H32]'ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]'É[&H87][&H32][f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32][&H86][&H32]'ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]CÉ[&H87][&H32][f][&H32]L[&H32]$[&H32][&H86][&H32]CÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]4É[&H87][&H32]t[&H32]u[&H32]v[&H32][&H86][&H32]4ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30].ÉË[&H30][&H90][&H30][&H91][&H30][&H92][&H30]Ë[&H30].ÉË[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]Ë[&H30]À[Lv]  Æ É ÂÁ      Ì[&H8C]àË    Áñ  [&H18] Ì  Á              Ê Ê Â ÂÇï Ê Â ÁÇÑ Ú Â  Â[&H18]     ÂÆ Â     [&H1F] Ê     [&H62][&H8C]àËÌ Ê         ÁÈ Á'[&H3E][&H72]Ëp[&H3E][&H72]ËÏ[&H3F][&H72]ËÏ[&H3F][&H72]Ë

So I made a backup of my rom and deleted all of that text and opened the game in vba again. Now, the intro works properly, but it corrupted one of my maps. Does anyone know a way to fix this without corrupting a map?
                                    Change the repoint address in the .ini file to some free space that you will only use for A-Text. Try reserving some space at like 0xB00000 or something for it and don't allow anything else to be written there.

Paired with Simba
                                    Old June 24th, 2013 (3:56 PM).

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                                      Change the repoint address in the .ini file to some free space that you will only use for A-Text. Try reserving some space at like 0xB00000 or something for it and don't allow anything else to be written there.
                                      Okay I tried that, and now it's doing the same thing, but the messed up text isnt showing in A-Text.

ROMs I Support:
                                      Old June 24th, 2013 (4:09 PM).

Re-point!! what is that? I don't understand and iv'e looked through the TUT page but nothing explains what it means by re-point. I always just select the first one on the list when inserting a new map, is that whats causing all the problems? Also the method I use to delete all the maps is by simply placing a "-5" on the zero bank. This deletes all other maps, could this method be messing up the game as well?
                                        Old June 24th, 2013 (5:33 PM).
                                        • Gold Tier

Dude, you need stuff to go into FREE SPACE.
                                        This means DO NOT OVERWRITE OLD DATA.
                                        So in a hex editor find tons of FF's, which is FREE space. Anything else is USED BY THE GAME. Overwriting old data will CORRUPT your game. I think this is obvious, but of course there are newbies. To repoint in a hex editor, take your offset.
                                        789ABC
                                        then split into 3
                                        78 9A BC
                                        then swap
                                        BC 9A 78
                                        then add 08 for "in the ROM"
                                        BC 9A 78 08
                                        This tells the game "load from here." How else is it going to know what to do?
                                        Keep these tips in mind for anything computer related, overwriting old data is BAD

Support me at my site!
                                        Old June 24th, 2013 (5:34 PM). Edited June 24th, 2013 by molivious.
                                        so much fail...

Nature: Modest
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by XxAtlazxX View Post
                                          Re-point!! what is that? I don't understand and iv'e looked through the TUT page but nothing explains what it means by re-point. I always just select the first one on the list when inserting a new map, is that whats causing all the problems? Also the method I use to delete all the maps is by simply placing a "-5" on the zero bank. This deletes all other maps, could this method be messing up the game as well?
                                          "Re-pointing", in other terms, redirects or tells the program/game to "start/end reading here!"

For example, If you have made a line of code that was too big for it's current space, it would tend to "overlap" one or two other lines of coding in the game. In this case, it creates a huge mess (or bug) within your game. This is where you try to start finding new space -- bigger+unused space, where your new line of code would fit perfectly without affecting other parts of the game.

Now when you find that new space, you want to tell the program to use that space... and telling the program to use that space is, yup, you've guessed it, repointing.

Once you find a free space, all you basically have to do is replace an old/previous "number" (like the one mentioned by sky) to the newly found free space "number". If there are multiple of those old numbers, you will have to repoint ALL of those numbers into the new one unless you would want to have more problems in the future.

It is also possible to overwrite a bunch of lines in the original game's data. However, the new data must have exactly the same size or length as the old one... so basically, you have to replace a sentence with a sentence just as long. No more, no less. Haven't done much into hacking the GBA roms, but that's the general idea.

Squish, squish, squish. Goes the bug under your foot.
                                          Squish, squish, squish. I'm telling you not to look.
                                          Old June 24th, 2013 (5:44 PM). Edited June 24th, 2013 by XxAtlazxX.

LOL. I just got Mind raped. Yes you are correct, I am a complete NOVICE. I have never hacked before in my life, I know nothing about computer programming or software engineering. This is my very first attempt to hack, and let me tell you its confusing lol. But as frustrating as it is, it's fun it honestly is. Which is why ask all these questions because I want to learn where i couldn't from the TUT. Again I really appreciate all the replies and help you guys are giving me.

Oh, and what HEX editor do you guys recommend?
                                            Closed Thread

Quick Reply