ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old July 27th, 2013 (9:01 PM).

Nature: Careful
    Hi, I am using JPAN's fire red hack to add more overworlds. I have also repointed the palette table and added some palettes of my own for some overworlds. This has worked up until now. When two very specific overworld sprites are right next to each other, they suddenly share the same palette. I have tried to edit the byte in the overworld data that comes after the two bytes for height, but it only seems to mess it up worse. How can i fix this so they can both appear on the screen at the same time?

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 27th, 2013 (10:18 PM). Edited July 27th, 2013 by DrFuji.
    Heiki Hecchara‌‌
    • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pokefreake View Post
    I found a rom base that I wanted to use, but the flower animations were messed up. They look fine in advance map, but in the game they only show half of the flowers.

Does anyone know whats wrong?
    The person who inserted those tiles hasn't overwritten the flower animations from the default FR frames. Tile animations overwrite whatever image you can see in Advance Map so it is impossible to edit them without using another program. You can edit the basic frames using NSE (they are in its bookmarks), or use AnimEditor if you want to change them to a far greater extent (adding/ subtracting frames, changing their position in the tileset, how fast they are etc). You will have to make your own animations for them though.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gameguru View Post
    Hi, I am using JPAN's fire red hack to add more overworlds. I have also repointed the palette table and added some palettes of my own for some overworlds. This has worked up until now. When two very specific overworld sprites are right next to each other, they suddenly share the same palette. I have tried to edit the byte in the overworld data that comes after the two bytes for height, but it only seems to mess it up worse. How can i fix this so they can both appear on the screen at the same time?
    What do you mean by "it only seems to mess up worse"? Make sure you are only editing the second half of that byte and that the sprites aren't sharing the same palette slot. If you've got any other sprites nearby that are also using the same palette slot they might also be interfering. Could you show some pictures of your sprites in-game as well as their overworld data in a hex editor?
    Old July 28th, 2013 (9:58 AM).
    Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
      Quote:
      At a guess, I'd say Ruby uses the same table format. Problem is, the table doesn't contain just the music data, it contains pointers to ASM. The ASM it points to loads the music ID.

Very basic ASM hacking skills are required to do it, but it's certainly not hard.
      Can you give me that adress? I try do it by adress from Emerald. As Emerald use that same table like Ruby.
      Old July 28th, 2013 (2:00 PM).
      What is out there?

Nature: Adamant
        Does anybody know how to remove that "badge HM check," for field moves like Flash?

Current Live Update: Build 3.0 RC 2.73 No more Flag Errors!
        Always periodically make backup saves!
        Old July 29th, 2013 (12:43 PM).

I'm trying to edit Pallet town, but some of the scripts I made are messed up. Like some of the people are in different places and I can't remove the sprites. I removed the map scripts, but the problem is still happening. Does anyone know how to fix this? I don't want to make the maps all over again .
          Old July 29th, 2013 (5:46 PM).
          For the Swarm!

Nature: Lax
            I'm trying to add in the Physical/Special split images Darthatron made for Fire Red to an Emerald rom, but I seem to have hit a wall. I've added in the actual image with TileMolester already, but as I understand it the addresses in the asm code here are for a Fire Red rom. Since I assume they aren't interchangeable with Emerald, how would I go about finding the equivalent addresses for Emerald? Also, how do I find the addresses of the bytes for the code pointers?

Original post by Darthatron:
            Spoiler:
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
            I want to find a better place to put it. Right now, the image showing if it's physical/special/status appears a frame before the rest of the screen is loaded. :\ I mean, it's not that bad. I just don't love it.

Change these bytes:
            Code:
            @0813A130: 0x2F
            @0813A17B: 0x47
            @0813A1A0: [Pointer to Routine, plus 1 (one).]
            Here's the source:
            Code:
            .align 2
            .thumb
            Start:
                push {r0-r4}
                ldr r0, .CurMoveIndex
                ldrb r1, [r0]
                lsl r1, r1, #1
                ldr r0, .Move_List
                add r0, r0, r1
                ldrh r3, [r0]
                lsl r0, r3, #1
                add r0, r0, r3
                lsl r0, r0, #2
                ldr r1, .MoveBase
                add r0, r0, r1
                ldrb r4, [r0, #10]
                lsl r0, r4, #1
                add r4, r4, r0
                lsl r4, r4, #6

ldr r0, .SplitImages
                add r0, r4
                ldr r1, .VRAM
                mov r2, #0x30
                swi #0xB

ldr r0, .SplitImages
                add r0, r4
                add r0, #0x60
                ldr r1, .VRAM
                mov r2, #0x1E
                lsl r2, #0x04
                add r1, r1, r2
                mov r2, #0x30
                swi #0xB

Finish:
                pop {r0-r4}
                ldr r4, .Some_Offset
                ldr r0, [r4]
                ldr r1, .Return_Addr
                bx r1

.align 2
            .MoveBase:        .word 0x08250C04
            .CurMoveIndex:    .word 0x0203B16D
            .Move_List:        .word 0x02003268

.VRAM:            .word 0x06001800
            .SplitImages:    .word 0xYYYYYYYY

.Some_Offset:    .word 0x0203B148
            .Return_Addr:    .word 0x0813A17C+1
            Change the .SplitImages (0xYYYYYYYY) pointer to where ever you have the images.
            The images are uncompressed. And should look like this:
            They need to be in this order. Use TileMolester or something to insert them.
            They use the same palette as the Types, which is located at 0x08E95DBC in a clean FireRed ROM.

Suggested fix by Jambo:
            Spoiler:
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
            I think I've found the code which causes the Mirror Coat/Counter bug in Fire Red.
            Change it to this, and it should hopefully fix it.
            Code:
            0801F6C2: 86 7A
            0801F908: 00 2E
            0801F90A: 41 D1
            Also, Darthatron's routine for showing the images is slightly buggy. It turns out the move index is actually DMA protected, but in a really odd way. It only gets DMA shifted after certain actions are taken within the game's overworld. Anyway - to solve this, change the parts in BOLD in Darthatron's original routine (or just copy this routine, I suppose), and then follow Darthatron's original post to insert it.

Code:
            .align 2
            .thumb
            Start:
             push {r0-r4}
             ldr r0, .CurMoveIndex
             ldrb r1, [r0]
             lsl r1, r1, #1
             ldr r0, .Move_List_Loc
             ldr r0, [r0]
             ldr r3, .number
             add r0, r0, r3
             add r0, r0, r1
             ldrh r3, [r0]
             cmp r3, #0x0
             beq Finish
             lsl r0, r3, #1
             add r0, r0, r3
             lsl r0, r0, #2
             ldr r1, .MoveBase
             add r0, r0, r1
             ldrb r4, [r0, #10]
             lsl r0, r4, #1
             add r4, r4, r0
             lsl r4, r4, #6
             ldr r0, .SplitImages
             add r0, r4
             ldr r1, .VRAM
             mov r2, #0x30
             swi #0xB 
             ldr r0, .SplitImages
             add r0, r4
             add r0, #0x60
             ldr r1, .VRAM
             mov r2, #0x1E
             lsl r2, #0x04
             add r1, r1, r2
             mov r2, #0x30
             swi #0xB 
            Finish:
             pop {r0-r4}
             ldr r4, .Some_Offset
             ldr r0, [r4]
             ldr r1, .Return_Addr
             bx r1
            .align 2
            .MoveBase:  .word 0x08250C04
            .number: .word 0x00003258
            .CurMoveIndex: .word 0x0203B16D
            .Move_List_Loc:  .word 0x0203B140
            .VRAM:   .word 0x06001800
            .SplitImages: .word 0x08YYYYYY
            .Some_Offset: .word 0x0203B148
            .Return_Addr: .word 0x0813A17D
            Long ago, the 90's Nicktoons lived together in harmony... then everything changed when the 2000's attacked. Only Avatar, the best of the new Nicktoons could save them. But when Nick needed it most, it finished. Four years passed and Mike and Bryan created a new Avatar: Legend of Korra. Although the show itself is great, it has a long way to go before it can live up to the Last Airbender. But I believe Korra can save Nickelodeon.
            Old July 29th, 2013 (6:36 PM). Edited July 29th, 2013 by karatekid552.
            What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by dd409 View Post
              I'm trying to add in the Physical/Special split images Darthatron made for Fire Red to an Emerald rom, but I seem to have hit a wall. I've added in the actual image with TileMolester already, but as I understand it the addresses in the asm code here are for a Fire Red rom. Since I assume they aren't interchangeable with Emerald, how would I go about finding the equivalent addresses for Emerald? Also, how do I find the addresses of the bytes for the code pointers?

Original post by Darthatron:

Suggested fix by Jambo:
              Porting routines isn't easy, but it is the very first thing I learned how to do with ASM. You best shot, is to go to those addresses in a clean Fire Red and a hex editor and then copy the surrounding bytes and search for them in an Emerald rom. If they are RAM addresses, then those are much tougher to locate. Try looking for groups of bytes that are the same, but with different pointers at the end.

I must say, if you have never hacked before, I highly doubt you will be able to do this. I would have a tough time.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by FrozenInfernoZX View Post
              Does anybody know how to remove that "badge HM check," for field moves like Flash?
              Find the scripts, remove the checkflags for badges. It sounds easy, but finding them can be tough.

Quote:
              I'm trying to edit Pallet town, but some of the scripts I made are messed up. Like some of the people are in different places and I can't remove the sprites. I removed the map scripts, but the problem is still happening. Does anyone know how to fix this? I don't want to make the maps all over again .
              Pallet Towns map scripts do move a lot of the person events around. Are you 100% sure they are gone, and no map scripts are present? Also, are you sure you are testing the right map? One time, I had multiple maps of the same thing, but with different scripts (for different times in the game) and I was editing one and not seeing the changes in game, because I was testing the wrong one. So, that is something to also look out for.

Paired with Simba
              Old July 29th, 2013 (6:47 PM).
              Oh Hai Thar~
              • Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
              Quote:
              Have you removed the “level scripts” on that map that changes the NPC's locations on the map?
              Spoiler:

FC: 0061-1111-6462
              TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Old July 29th, 2013 (6:50 PM). Edited July 29th, 2013 by dd409.
              For the Swarm!

Quote:
                Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                Porting routines isn't easy, but it is the very first thing I learned how to do with ASM. You best shot, is to go to those addresses in a clean Fire Red and a hex editor and then copy the surrounding bytes and search for them in an Emerald rom. If they are RAM addresses, then those are much tougher to locate. Try looking for groups of bytes that are the same, but with different pointers at the end.

I must say, if you have never hacked before, I highly doubt you will be able to do this. I would have a tough time.
                Yeah, doing something like that was my first thought. I've only dabbled in rom editing, and haven't done much with asm. Gotta learn some time I guess

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the 0x08YYYYYY addresses are for the rom itself, so if I had to guess 0x02YYYYYY is RAM and 0x06YYYYYY is VRAM? How should I go about viewing those, since opening the rom in a hex editor will only let me look at the 0x08 stuff?

EDIT: I also noticed there is a 0x00YYYYYY address in there (0x00003258)... what area does that one point, or how would I go about looking at it?

EDIT 2: It seems that 0x00YYYYYY is in the BIOS. Since the BIOS is (or at least should be) constant for any GBA game, I'm going to try leaving that one alone.
                Long ago, the 90's Nicktoons lived together in harmony... then everything changed when the 2000's attacked. Only Avatar, the best of the new Nicktoons could save them. But when Nick needed it most, it finished. Four years passed and Mike and Bryan created a new Avatar: Legend of Korra. Although the show itself is great, it has a long way to go before it can live up to the Last Airbender. But I believe Korra can save Nickelodeon.
                Old July 30th, 2013 (3:39 AM).
                Working...Don't bother me...

How to make Visual Basic 6 Runtime work under Windows 8(I'm a music maker and it's reaaaly urgent 'cause I'll need to use Sappy and it needs the VB Runtime)
                  Old July 30th, 2013 (4:17 AM).

Quote:
                    Yeah, doing something like that was my first thought. I've only dabbled in rom editing, and haven't done much with asm. Gotta learn some time I guess

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the 0x08YYYYYY addresses are for the rom itself, so if I had to guess 0x02YYYYYY is RAM and 0x06YYYYYY is VRAM? How should I go about viewing those, since opening the rom in a hex editor will only let me look at the 0x08 stuff?

EDIT: I also noticed there is a 0x00YYYYYY address in there (0x00003258)... what area does that one point, or how would I go about looking at it?

EDIT 2: It seems that 0x00YYYYYY is in the BIOS. Since the BIOS is (or at least should be) constant for any GBA game, I'm going to try leaving that one alone.
                    Actually, the 0x00003258 is not a pointer, but rather a constant number that would be added to a pointer to reach a new location or such. You never, ever call addresses in the BIOS directly. You would call SWI functions .

Paired with Simba
                    Old July 30th, 2013 (6:42 AM). Edited July 30th, 2013 by Pia Carrot.
                    Let's play a game...
                    • Silver Tier

Nature: Adamant
                    Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to have a semi-transparent textbox, and how would I go to implementing it?

EDIT: I'm using Emerald version.

Old July 30th, 2013 (8:51 AM).
                    problematic
                    • Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
                    For Emerald, is there anyway to assign individual cries to the 25 free Pokémon spaces? They currently play the Unown cry and whenever I assign a cry to two or more it becomes corrupt.
                    Old July 30th, 2013 (8:53 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
                      For Emerald, is there anyway to assign individual cries to the 25 free Pokémon spaces? They currently play the Unown cry and whenever I assign a cry to two or more it becomes corrupt.
                      Yes, but you have to repoint all of the data. That is what is causing your issues.

Paired with Simba
                      Old July 30th, 2013 (9:57 AM).

Quote:
                        Pallet Towns map scripts do move a lot of the person events around. Are you 100% sure they are gone, and no map scripts are present? Also, are you sure you are testing the right map? One time, I had multiple maps of the same thing, but with different scripts (for different times in the game) and I was editing one and not seeing the changes in game, because I was testing the wrong one. So, that is something to also look out for.
                        Yes i'm using the right map. It's the only one I edited so far :p.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
                        Have you removed the “level scripts” on that map that changes the NPC's locations on the map?
                        Yes i've removed those and it's still happening.
                        Old July 30th, 2013 (10:24 AM).

Quote:
                          Yes i'm using the right map. It's the only one I edited so far :p.

Yes i've removed those and it's still happening.
                          A video would be nice. Use bandicam or something and show us what is in A-map and the nwhat it looks like in game.

Paired with Simba
                          Old July 30th, 2013 (10:41 AM).
                          problematic
                          • Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
                          Quote:
                          Yes, but you have to repoint all of the data. That is what is causing your issues.
                          So how would I re point the data? The method I'm trying doesn't seem to be working but rather still using the same cries for the empty spaces.
                          Old July 30th, 2013 (2:02 PM).

*facepalm* I figured out the problem... I was using a save state instead of starting from the beginning to test it out so it didn't remove the map scripts. Thanks everyone!
                            Old July 30th, 2013 (9:35 PM).
                            For the Swarm!

Does anyone have a copy of the IPS for Wichu's Emerald decapitalization patch? The only link in existence is his link to 2Shared, which it seems is dead; I've looked, and it seems like no one else on the entirety of the internet has it hosted somewhere else.
                              Old July 31st, 2013 (7:12 AM). Edited July 31st, 2013 by AtecainCorp..
                              Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
                                Karatekid552? Can you give me adress to CRY ASM Pointer? Without Adress I do not do anything. You said that you know that routine adress.

Quote:
                                Does anyone have a copy of the IPS for Wichu's Emerald decapitalization patch? The only link in existence is his link to 2Shared, which it seems is dead; I've looked, and it seems like no one else on the entirety of the internet has it hosted somewhere else.
                                You do not need this Patch to Decapitalization. Only what you need is ITEM and Pokemon Editors.
                                Old July 31st, 2013 (7:21 AM).

Quote:
                                  I uploaded it here for you.
                                  http://www.sendspace.com/file/1ywgq5
                                  Old July 31st, 2013 (7:33 AM).

Hi, when I use open script in advance map, the script is always different from the one I made from before. Is there anyway to convert it back to normal or will I need to save all my scripts for future editing?

Thanks in advance =)
                                    Old July 31st, 2013 (7:34 AM). Edited July 31st, 2013 by takeKopter.

Nature: Gentle
                                      Quote:
                                      while the others may say you don't need this, it does save your time. check the attachment. (i found it on may last year, the link's dead now lol)
                                      EDIT: what? it's already answered :s

now i want to ask noob question:
                                      in hackmew's free space finder, what do i do with "skip interval"? do i have to fill it the same as the "needed bytes"? or just leave it 0? thanks
                                      Attached Files
                                      File Type: ips Pokemon Fire Red-Prepped IPS.ips‎ (21.6 KB, 0 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                      Old July 31st, 2013 (8:01 AM).

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by innovationz View Post
                                        Hi, when I use open script in advance map, the script is always different from the one I made from before. Is there anyway to convert it back to normal or will I need to save all my scripts for future editing?

Thanks in advance =)
                                        I'm not sure if XSE has this function, but in pksv you can save your script so you can edit it later. You can also keep a text document or something.
                                        Old July 31st, 2013 (8:09 AM). Edited July 31st, 2013 by dd409.
                                        For the Swarm!

Quote:
                                          I uploaded it here for you.
                                          I appreciate it, but that looks like the Fire Red one. I'm looking for the one he made for Emerald.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found an Emerald decap done by dkp in the Rom Hacking Resources thread.

[QUOTE=Ksiazek Bartlomiej;7760974]Karatekid552? Can you give me adress to CRY ASM Pointer? Without Adress I do not do anything. You said that you know that routine adress.

You do not need this Patch to Decapitalization. Only what you need is ITEM and Pokemon Editors.
                                          Closed Thread

Quick Reply