ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old August 4th, 2013 (6:52 PM).
Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good

Quote:
    I have no real ASM experience, but I can read up and try my hand at simplistic. How do you suggest trying to find a specific ASM script?

I've started by trying to find any kind of reference to Rain Dish in the hex. I've found an address that points to the address of text message generated when an ability causes healing in battle ("XX's YY restored its HP a little." -- there were actually two of these, but I experimentally determined the 2nd was for healing items like Leftovers).

I've also found two address containing the name RAIN DISH; experimentally the first is used in battle and on the poke inspect screens. I have no idea what the second is for, but I found an address that points to it in what seems to be a table of pointers separated by: (pointer) ?? 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 (pointer) ??, etc.

There don't seem to be any references to either of those pointers or the first instance of RAIN DISH in the hex, so that seems to be as far backwards as I can work doing that. How else should I go about it?
    Tracing the string is probably not the best way to go, as your goal is simply to rewire an ability/weather check. It'd be much simpler to look for reads of either the active weather byte or a pokemon's ability during rain. These threads might be helpful:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117917 - this is a pretty good primer on ASM editing, and the one that got me started
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=215644 - this has a bunch of RAM offsets documented that are extremely relevant to battle-related hacking

What I'd do is put a breakpoint on an active pokemon's ability, get in a battle in rain, then examine all the places it gets checked at the end of a turn and figure out which one is for comparing it with Rain Dish's ID (which you can figure out using the offsets in the second link). Alternatively, get a pokemon with Rain Dish and check out all the weather reads at the end of the turn to see where it gets compared to rain. Once you know *where* the checking is happening, it should just be a matter of experimenting with thumb to make the check accept hail+ice body as well as rain+rain dish (try replacing rain dish before expanding it to be a separate ability, it'll be much simpler and help you learn).

For reasons that have been explained elsewhere in the last couple of pages, I won't explain to you exactly how to do it- you'll need to figure out the finer steps yourself. Don't be afraid to break things- if something isn't working, try a different approach, and don't get discouraged when things don't work the first time.

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 4th, 2013 (6:58 PM).

Had a question related to Script Editing. As for the "Special 0x9D" which is "Old Man Catches Weedle" special, is there any way to edit the special so that way he catches another Pokemon, Pikachu? The offset for the special is 0x9D but where is the battlescene script where Weedle Hex might be changed to Pikachu's?
      Old August 4th, 2013 (7:06 PM).
      Crit happens.

Nature: Lax
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay View Post
        Tracing the string is probably not the best way to go, as your goal is simply to rewire an ability/weather check. It'd be much simpler to look for reads of either the active weather byte or a pokemon's ability during rain. These threads might be helpful:

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117917 - this is a pretty good primer on ASM editing, and the one that got me started
        http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=215644 - this has a bunch of RAM offsets documented that are extremely relevant to battle-related hacking

What I'd do is put a breakpoint on an active pokemon's ability, get in a battle in rain, then examine all the places it gets checked at the end of a turn and figure out which one is for comparing it with Rain Dish's ID (which you can figure out using the offsets in the second link). Alternatively, get a pokemon with Rain Dish and check out all the weather reads at the end of the turn to see where it gets compared to rain. Once you know *where* the checking is happening, it should just be a matter of experimenting with thumb to make the check accept hail+ice body as well as rain+rain dish (try replacing rain dish before expanding it to be a separate ability, it'll be much simpler and help you learn).

For reasons that have been explained elsewhere in the last couple of pages, I won't explain to you exactly how to do it- you'll need to figure out the finer steps yourself. Don't be afraid to break things- if something isn't working, try a different approach, and don't get discouraged when things don't work the first time.
        That all looks amazingly helpful, thanks! This might be a dumb question, but how do you put a breakpoint on something? I've seen people say to do that, but never how.

Also, something for after I get this figured out: how difficult would it be to add new abilities (as opposed to editing existing ones)? Would it be something doable with beginner knowledge, or would that be something more advanced?

A Gen 3 remake de-make, featuring many new encounters and Gen VI mechanics

Old August 4th, 2013 (7:39 PM).

HELP! (Firered)

I started to make my own hack, so I created some maps and inserted them into the game (in a new bank). I then made the starting house warp into one of my created maps. When I play it on the emulator though, I'm stuck in one spot when I warp to my created map and a bunch of symbols appear on screen (in text). I think this problem has something to do with my Map Connections, because I had no problem with this before I started adding connections to my map. Does anyone have any ideas (or the same problem)?
          Old August 4th, 2013 (7:51 PM).
          (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
          • Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
          Don't use advance map 1.95. Second, it may be the level script on the map. Third, make sure the warps are connected correctly.

Support me at my site!
          Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
          Old August 4th, 2013 (8:06 PM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
            Don't use advance map 1.95. Second, it may be the level script on the map. Third, make sure the warps are connected correctly.
            Thanks! I checked the level script and saw that there were random things there so I deleted them. Now it doesn't happen anymore.

Why shouldn't you use advance map 1.95?

Finally, another problem that just arose is when I enter a new area (on my own created map) I can't go back! So, in other words, Map A and Map B are two created maps that I have made. I travel from Map A to Map B (Using connections) and it works fine, but then I can't get back to Map A! An invisible force blocks my way or something...
            Old August 4th, 2013 (8:08 PM).
            SuperScarlet!

Is there an easy to understand tutorial on how to change the world map in fire red BPRE?
              I tried a few, but they didn't work out for me
              Old August 4th, 2013 (8:09 PM).
              What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by atangerine View Post
                Thanks! I checked the level script and saw that there were random things there so I deleted them. Now it doesn't happen anymore.

Why shouldn't you use advance map 1.95?

Finally, another problem that just arose is when I enter a new area (on my own created map) I can't go back! So, in other words, Map A and Map B are two created maps that I have made. I travel from Map A to Map B (Using connections) and it works fine, but then I can't get back to Map A! An invisible force blocks my way or something...
                LOTS and lots of bugs. It was an unfinished beta version.

Paired with Simba
                Old August 4th, 2013 (8:11 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                  LOTS and lots of bugs. It was an unfinished beta version.
                  Which one would you recommend using then? And do you know a solution to my map connections problem? Thanks in advance.
                  Old August 4th, 2013 (8:16 PM).
                  • Gold Tier

Map connections need to be set up on each map. So set it up on map B as well.
                  Use advance map 1.92.

Support me at my site!
                  Old August 4th, 2013 (8:17 PM).

Quote:
                    Map connections need to be set up on each map. So set it up on map B as well.
                    I did do that. Still doesn't work for whatever reason =/
                    Old August 4th, 2013 (8:42 PM).
                    Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good

Quote:
                      That all looks amazingly helpful, thanks! This might be a dumb question, but how do you put a breakpoint on something? I've seen people say to do that, but never how.

Also, something for after I get this figured out: how difficult would it be to add new abilities (as opposed to editing existing ones)? Would it be something doable with beginner knowledge, or would that be something more advanced?
                      In VBA-SDL-H, the commands are bt, bpr, bpw, to break on thumb execution, read, and write respectively. IIRC you can see all the commands with h- if that doesn't work try help, ?, etc.

Adding new abilities instead of replacing them is to my knowledge just a matter of repointing the ability name and description table. Abilities are just bytes- the only reason they do things is because there are special cases to handle them.

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
                      Old August 4th, 2013 (8:57 PM).
                      • Gold Tier

Does Jpan's Vba-h2 work on anyone else's computers?

Support me at my site!
                      Old August 4th, 2013 (10:04 PM).
                      Crit happens.

Nature: Lax
                        Quote:
                        Does Jpan's Vba-h2 work on anyone else's computers?
                        Yeah, I found a user guide here:
                        VisualBoyAdvance for Hackers

To get it to open a rom, drag and drop the rom onto it. F11 brings up the debug prompt, c exits the debug prompt.

A Gen 3 remake de-make, featuring many new encounters and Gen VI mechanics

Old August 4th, 2013 (10:16 PM). Edited August 4th, 2013 by karatekid552.
                        What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
                          Quote:
                          Which one would you recommend using then? And do you know a solution to my map connections problem? Thanks in advance.
                          Use 1.92, and to fix map connections, just delete them all and retry. This works fairly often.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by DoesntKnowHowToPlay View Post
                          In VBA-SDL-H, the commands are bt, bpr, bpw, to break on thumb execution, read, and write respectively. IIRC you can see all the commands with h- if that doesn't work try help, ?, etc.

Adding new abilities instead of replacing them is to my knowledge just a matter of repointing the ability name and description table. Abilities are just bytes- the only reason they do things is because there are special cases to handle them.
                          Isn't the whole game just bytes?XD

Paired with Simba
                          Old August 4th, 2013 (11:28 PM).
                          Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Does anyone know in XSE with buffernumber 0x(number) LAST_RESULT how many different buffers can be stored in 1 script?
                            Old August 5th, 2013 (12:46 AM). Edited August 5th, 2013 by AtecainCorp..
                            Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
                              Ok.
                              FOR FIRE RED.
                              1. Where is Located ASM pointer of CRIES and DEX ENTRIES.

For Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
                              2. Where is located World Map routine?

Ok.
                              FOR FIRE RED.

Old August 5th, 2013 (2:16 AM).
                              Drag a needle on the good today

Nature: Relaxed
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Ksiazek Bartlomiej View Post
                                Ok.
                                FOR FIRE RED.

1. Don't know, I don't hack FireRed

2. I'm not sure what you mean, but if you want to change the map, then here are some examples.

Yellow is the most recent and up to date. Somewhere in the comments, someone explained how to edit the Pokédex world map.
                                Green has a couple attachments that you may find helpful.

My Favorite Song
                                Old August 5th, 2013 (3:29 AM).
                                Focus.

Nature: Calm
                                  Quote:
                                  I did do that. Still doesn't work for whatever reason =/
                                  Hmm...Is your offset something other than 0? Then the number has to be positive on one map and negative on the other. So for example if your offset on your first map is 2, then it has to be -2 on the other. Also, make sure there's only one connection for each direction.

Old August 5th, 2013 (3:36 AM).
                                  U MAD BRO?

Hi again-What is the easiest way to edit existing scripts (like dialogue scripts) aside from Advance Text (The PC is shared so despite not being a virus it may get picked up as one, causing alarm to others). Can PKSV do it? Thanks.
                                    Old August 5th, 2013 (3:57 AM).

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by uliekztrollface? View Post
                                      Hi again-What is the easiest way to edit existing scripts (like dialogue scripts) aside from Advance Text (The PC is shared so despite not being a virus it may get picked up as one, causing alarm to others). Can PKSV do it? Thanks.
                                      Any script editor can do it. I'll explain how:

Spoiler:
                                      Example script:
                                      Code:
                                      #dynamic 0x012344
                                      #org 0x012348
                                      lock
                                      faceplayer
                                      msgbox 0x012354 0x4
                                      fanfare 0x12
                                      waitfanfare
                                      closeonkeypress
                                      release
                                      end

#org 0x012354
                                      = A wild fanfare appeared!

Note: this is not a real script.
                                      Using XSE or any other script editor, create a new text script.

Example:
                                      Code:
                                      #dynamic 0x653253
                                      #org @example
                                      msgbox @msg 0x6
                                      end

#org @msg
                                      = Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.
                                      Now, using the offset that you just compiled your new text script into, paste it over the old script.

Code:
                                      #dynamic 0x012344
                                      #org 0x012348
                                      lock
                                      faceplayer
                                      msgbox 0x653253 0x4
                                      fanfare 0x12
                                      waitfanfare
                                      closeonkeypress
                                      release
                                      end
                                      And the script will turn into this:

Code:
                                      #dynamic 0x012344
                                      #org 0x012348
                                      lock
                                      faceplayer
                                      msgbox 0x653253 0x4
                                      fanfare 0x12
                                      waitfanfare
                                      closeonkeypress
                                      release
                                      end

#org @msg
                                      = Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.
                                      Remember, you can do that with any section of a script, not just text.

My Favorite Song
                                      Old August 5th, 2013 (4:01 AM). Edited August 5th, 2013 by uliekztrollface?.
                                      uliekztrollface? uliekztrollface? is offline
                                      U MAD BRO?

Thanks, but the flags and stuff are part of the Elite Four's scripts aren't they(I was hoping to change an E4 dialogue but I don't know how to set the correct flags to make them rematchable). Changing the script offset would mean no rematches unless I set the flag (which I can't really do because of my lacking experience)
                                        I'd also have to put in the battle start script wouldn't I...
                                        Btw I'm hacking Ruby
                                        Old August 5th, 2013 (4:43 AM).

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by uliekztrollface? View Post
                                          Thanks, but the flags and stuff are part of the Elite Four's scripts aren't they(I was hoping to change an E4 dialogue but I don't know how to set the correct flags to make them rematchable). Changing the script offset would mean no rematches unless I set the flag (which I can't really do because of my lacking experience)
                                          I'd also have to put in the battle start script wouldn't I...
                                          Btw I'm hacking Ruby
                                          Well, the E4 are already rematchable, aren't they? How do you want the rematch system to work?

My Favorite Song
                                          Old August 5th, 2013 (4:49 AM).
                                          uliekztrollface? uliekztrollface? is offline
                                          U MAD BRO?

The E4 are rematchable but surely if I edit a member to just have talking script with no special flags then I can't rematch said member? Or is it that the E4 all have one flag applying for all of them? Thanks and sorry for my noobish questions xD
                                            I just want to make sure they are still rematchable after editing dialogue...
                                            Old August 5th, 2013 (4:51 AM).

As long as you edit the dialogue only, then there will be no problem. Just remember to repoint all of the new text.

My Favorite Song
                                              Closed Thread

Quick Reply