ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old August 9th, 2013 (11:01 AM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
    Hiya people~
    Just wondering something... What do people mean when they say one var can be used for an entire game? That doesn't make sense to me. How can only one var be used (for example, 0x4011) to track more than one event in a hack? If someone could please elaborate on this, it would be much appreciated

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 9th, 2013 (11:08 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
      These are all related. A-map mislabled it. Where it says Flag, it really means var. As long as the var = the value, the script will run. 04 only runs once but has a lot of limitations and 02 continually runs every frame until the var is changed. If you want the script to run each time, I would suggest using a 02 map script, with var 0x4000 and value 0. Var 4000 is temporary, so it will reset when warping. Finally, at the end of your script, for the last line, have "setvar 0x4000 0x1". This will prevent it from running every frame, and will run just when entering the map each time because the var will reset.
      This makes way more sense. Thanks a ton. I find it really interesting that Var 4000 is temporary. I don't think I would've figured that out by myself.
      Old August 9th, 2013 (11:34 AM). Edited August 9th, 2013 by karatekid552.
      What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
        Hiya people~
        Just wondering something... What do people mean when they say one var can be used for an entire game? That doesn't make sense to me. How can only one var be used (for example, 0x4011) to track more than one event in a hack? If someone could please elaborate on this, it would be much appreciated
        Your game would have to be perfectly linear. But, it would be like this:

Let's say we have 5 events.

When event 1 happens, we setvar 0x4011 0x1.

Now, before event 2 happens, we:

compare 0x4011 0x1
        if 0x0 goto @event_1_has_not_happened
        then we can run event 2 if event 1 has happened.

For event three, we can do close to the same thing:

ompare 0x4011 0x2
        if 0x0 goto @event_2_has_not_happened

Do you see? A var can hold up to 0xFFFF which is ~65,000. So, if your game is very linear (no option side quests, no events completes out of order) then yes, you could use just one var.

Quote:
        Originally Posted by XeroXen View Post
        This makes way more sense. Thanks a ton. I find it really interesting that Var 4000 is temporary. I don't think I would've figured that out by myself.
        You would have noticed if you used it for anything else.XD

Also, this will be of great service to you while scripting: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=302347

Paired with Simba
        Old August 9th, 2013 (12:26 PM).
        The Cutest Duskull

Nature: Timid
          Hello I have a problem that I can't seem to fix.

When I start xse, it says "runtime error 9, subscript out of range". I don't know what that means exactly or how to resolve it.

Also, for some reason, when I right click in the functional version of xse I have(its an earlier version), it doesn't display the menu that includes "compile" or "save" or whatever. So basicly I can't compile anything(almost forgot to mention that I can't get the "compile" button to work either.)

If anybody can help, I'd appreciate it.
          I have xse 1.0 and 1.11.

Thanks for any help in advance.
          Old August 9th, 2013 (12:36 PM).
          Drag a needle on the good today

I think that error happens when XSE does an update check. You should use Gamer2020's version of XSE.

My Favorite Song
            Old August 9th, 2013 (12:41 PM).
            The Cutest Duskull

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that right now.
              Old August 9th, 2013 (12:53 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Merak View Post
                Thanks for the tip. I'll try that right now.
                The error happens because HackMew took down his website. So when XSE opens, it does an update check and queries that server, only to return an error, which it then returns to you and won't open. This is THE most asked question on this thread and has been answered, literally, hundreds of times.

Paired with Simba
                Old August 9th, 2013 (1:04 PM). Edited August 9th, 2013 by Kawaii Shoujo Duskull.
                The Cutest Duskull

Also I hate to ask this again. Is there a list of the overworld sprites that are shown in advance map, or would somebody know where I could find one? My eyesight is pretty bad so I can't go by any images it shows.

Any help with this at all would be appreciated alot.

Quote:
                  The error happens because HackMew took down his website. So when XSE opens, it does an update check and queries that server, only to return an error, which it then returns to you and won't open. This is THE most asked question on this thread and has been answered, literally, hundreds of times.
                  Ah. Okay. I should have looked back for that, it does seem like something that would get alot of attention.
                  lol Sorry for adding to the number of times that question's been asked.
                  Old August 9th, 2013 (2:00 PM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
                    Athenian, use pokemon game editor's attack editor.
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
                    You know that Pokemon Game editor's Attack editor can change animations, effects, descriptions, power, accuracy, whether it's Status, physical, or special. This whole thing would have been faster with it...
                    Sorry to make a third post about this, but I thought I should point out that I actually DID try using that tool. It ruined my ROM the first time, unexpectedly, and I lost a day of fairly trivial work. Good thing I backup semi-regularly. I want to warn anyone using that tool to back up their ROMs more than usual. I know it's good practice in general, but that tool has NO mercy, and won't warn you if you're about to screw something up.

After experimenting, I found that the tool ONLY screws up if I try to modify animations with it. It can modify anything else fine, but the format it uses for animations makes NO sense to me at all, even after sifting through several tutorials. It just has this long string of hex numbers that it claims are a pointer, but they look nothing like any pointer I've ever seen, and are WAY too long to be a pointer. Attempting to mess with them in any way screws up the ROM.

I should also note that move descriptions can't be directly edited in PGE. I tried. You have to edit them in a hex editor, either by overwriting the existing description, or by writing a new description in free space and repointing to it. That's all it can do.

I did find that PGE could be used to edit how the attack works, the effects of it, etc. My issue was simply that I had no way of editing animations. There was, in fact, a reason I went to all that trouble. I have no idea if there was some kind of documentation of those weird numbers it was giving me, and what their function was, but it was not readily available, and not clear what ANY of that was for. I'm smart enough to know that they were NOT pointers, whatever they were.
                    Old August 9th, 2013 (2:05 PM).
                    (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
                    • Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
                    You most likely have an old version of PGE, or the INI is screwed around. Trust me, if it was the newest one you wouldn't have this error anymore

Support me at my site!
                    Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
                    Old August 9th, 2013 (2:24 PM). Edited August 9th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
                      Sorry to make a third post about this, but I thought I should point out that I actually DID try using that tool. It ruined my ROM the first time, unexpectedly, and I lost a day of fairly trivial work. Good thing I backup semi-regularly. I want to warn anyone using that tool to back up their ROMs more than usual. I know it's good practice in general, but that tool has NO mercy, and won't warn you if you're about to screw something up.

After experimenting, I found that the tool ONLY screws up if I try to modify animations with it. It can modify anything else fine, but the format it uses for animations makes NO sense to me at all, even after sifting through several tutorials. It just has this long string of hex numbers that it claims are a pointer, but they look nothing like any pointer I've ever seen, and are WAY too long to be a pointer. Attempting to mess with them in any way screws up the ROM.

I should also note that move descriptions can't be directly edited in PGE. I tried. You have to edit them in a hex editor, either by overwriting the existing description, or by writing a new description in free space and repointing to it. That's all it can do.

I did find that PGE could be used to edit how the attack works, the effects of it, etc. My issue was simply that I had no way of editing animations. There was, in fact, a reason I went to all that trouble. I have no idea if there was some kind of documentation of those weird numbers it was giving me, and what their function was, but it was not readily available, and not clear what ANY of that was for. I'm smart enough to know that they were NOT pointers, whatever they were.
                      The reason PGE did work was because the offset for attack animations is bad in the ini. Once you repair that, it works. As gogojjtech said, the newest version fixed this, I believe.

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Merak View Post
                      Also I hate to ask this again. Is there a list of the overworld sprites that are shown in advance map, or would somebody know where I could find one? My eyesight is pretty bad so I can't go by any images it shows.

Any help with this at all would be appreciated alot.
                      This is something you just have to familiarize yourself with. I have done A LOT of work with OWs, so now when I need one, I already have an idea of where it is. Also, in the time it takes you to look through your list, if you had one, it would take you just as much time, if not more, to look through the OWs in A-map.

Paired with Simba
                      Old August 9th, 2013 (3:02 PM).

Okay, I think I have one more question for today.

How do I make a sprite invisible by default, similar to how Professor Oak's sprite is invisible in Pallet Town until you trigger the script making him visible. The way I'm doing it right now is tacky and doesn't really work.

Thanks in advance.
                        Old August 9th, 2013 (3:57 PM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by XeroXen View Post
                          Okay, I think I have one more question for today.

How do I make a sprite invisible by default, similar to how Professor Oak's sprite is invisible in Pallet Town until you trigger the script making him visible. The way I'm doing it right now is tacky and doesn't really work.

Thanks in advance.
                          Set the flag in the person ID of that Event in a 03 map script in the players bedroom. Then clear the flag and use showsprite when you want it to appear.

Paired with Simba
                          Old August 9th, 2013 (4:08 PM).
                          Hacker

Nature: Serious
                            Quote:
                            Probably ASM hacking. You will have to see how that is loaded.
                            What is the offset of the script you found?

The A-text offset for the for the "water is dark..." is 1A556E (in hex)

For the script of the entire thing, is 1A6AC8.

'---------------
                            #org 0x1A6AC8
                            special 0x187
                            compare LASTRESULT 0x2
                            if 0x1 goto 0x81A6B0C
                            checkattack 0x39
                            compare LASTRESULT 0x6
                            if 0x1 goto 0x81A6B0C
                            bufferpartypokemon 0x0 LASTRESULT
                            setanimation 0x0 LASTRESULT
                            lockall
                            msgbox 0x81A556E MSG_YESNO '"The water is dyed a deep blue[.]\n..."
                            compare LASTRESULT 0x0
                            if 0x1 goto 0x81A6B0B
                            msgbox 0x81A55A5 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"[buffer1] used SURF!"
                            doanimation 0x9
                            releaseall
                            end

'---------------
                            #org 0x1A6B0C
                            end

'---------------
                            #org 0x1A6B0B
                            releaseall
                            end

'---------
                            ' Strings
                            '---------
                            #org 0x1A556E
                            = The water is dyed a deep blue[.]\nWould you like to SURF?

#org 0x1A55A5
                            = [buffer1] used SURF!
                            Old August 9th, 2013 (4:29 PM). Edited August 9th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by rockmanmegaman View Post
                              The A-text offset for the for the "water is dark..." is 1A556E (in hex)

For the script of the entire thing, is 1A6AC8.

'---------------
                              #org 0x1A6AC8
                              special 0x187
                              compare LASTRESULT 0x2
                              if 0x1 goto 0x81A6B0C
                              checkattack 0x39
                              compare LASTRESULT 0x6
                              if 0x1 goto 0x81A6B0C
                              bufferpartypokemon 0x0 LASTRESULT
                              setanimation 0x0 LASTRESULT
                              lockall
                              msgbox 0x81A556E MSG_YESNO '"The water is dyed a deep blue[.]\n..."
                              compare LASTRESULT 0x0
                              if 0x1 goto 0x81A6B0B
                              msgbox 0x81A55A5 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"[buffer1] used SURF!"
                              doanimation 0x9
                              releaseall
                              end

'---------------
                              #org 0x1A6B0C
                              end

'---------------
                              #org 0x1A6B0B
                              releaseall
                              end

'---------
                              ' Strings
                              '---------
                              #org 0x1A556E
                              = The water is dyed a deep blue[.]\nWould you like to SURF?

#org 0x1A55A5
                              = [buffer1] used SURF!
                              I think here, since no pokemon can surf naturally, the checkflag may be in the HM itself. Hmm, let me try some things.

Edit: there is an ASM routine just before the script that checks the flag. Let me find an easy way to negate it for you.

Okay, this will fix the overworld surfing, but you still won't be able to surf from the menu:

Go to 0x6D59C and paste-write "01 00 00 00" in a hex editor.
                              Then, jump up to 0x6D572 and paste-write "00 00 00 00".

That will enable surf on the overworld. A different routine checks from the menu that I haven't found.

Paired with Simba
                              Old August 9th, 2013 (4:30 PM). Edited August 9th, 2013 by Xcisor.

Having some issues with advance map, when I goto edit a script tile and put in playsound 0x13B 0x0, after I compile the data and re-open the script, all of my playsound commands change to playsound 0x0 0x0 and will go silent during gameplay? Any reason they won't register when I compile the scripts?

EDIT:

I figured this one out. When compiling a playsound in PKSV and Advancemap, type the identifier twice: playsound 0x13B 0x13B and it will prevent it from turning into 0x0's and should make the soundfile play in game!

Also: Shout out to karatekid552 for being such a dedicated haxtutor!
                                Old August 9th, 2013 (4:41 PM).
                                Hacker

Quote:
                                  I think here, since no pokemon can surf naturally, the checkflag may be in the HM itself. Hmm, let me try some things.

Edit: there is an ASM routine just before the script that checks the flag. Let me find an easy way to negate it for you.
                                  Thank you, I really appreciate it.
                                  Old August 9th, 2013 (5:18 PM). Edited August 9th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by rockmanmegaman View Post
                                    Thank you, I really appreciate it.
                                    As you can see, I fixed the overworld. I also just found the check for ALL badges in the menu, so let me find a fix for that.

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND, to remove badge checks from ALL HMs on the POKEMON MENU:

Go to 0x124620 and paste-write "01 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00". And that is all.:D

Paired with Simba
                                    Old August 9th, 2013 (9:40 PM).
                                    Hacker

Quote:
                                      As you can see, I fixed the overworld. I also just found the check for ALL badges in the menu, so let me find a fix for that.

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND, to remove badge checks from ALL HMs on the POKEMON MENU:

Go to 0x124620 and paste-write "01 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00". And that is all.:D
                                      Thank you! Thank you!
                                      You're a life saver!
                                      Old August 10th, 2013 (6:37 AM).
                                      SacredMurathJohn SacredMurathJohn is offline
                                      ROM Hacking

Nature: Hasty
                                        Is there a way to use daily flags in Firered?

Play as a TEAM ROCKET GRUNT
                                        Now BETA 0.3 available.
                                        Old August 10th, 2013 (7:30 AM).
                                        Satoshi Ookami Satoshi Ookami is offline
                                        Memento Mori
                                        • Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by SacredMurathJohn View Post
                                        Is there a way to use daily flags in Firered?
                                        What do you mean by daily flags?
                                        If you mean day events, then you need Day & Night System for that.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                                        Old August 10th, 2013 (7:34 AM).
                                        SacredMurathJohn SacredMurathJohn is offline
                                        ROM Hacking

Nature: Hasty
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post
                                          What do you mean by daily flags?
                                          If you mean day events, then you need Day & Night System for that.
                                          I mean the events happening once-a-day like lottery in R/S/E.

Play as a TEAM ROCKET GRUNT
                                          Now BETA 0.3 available.
                                          Old August 10th, 2013 (8:03 AM).

hey guys, im trying to edit the background for my hack, and ive been following the tutorial, but when i get to the part where you have to load the two pallets into APE keeps saying theres a runtime error and then crashing every time i try to load my new pallet. How do i fix this?
                                            Old August 10th, 2013 (8:11 AM). Edited August 10th, 2013 by karatekid552.
                                            karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                                              hey guys, im trying to edit the background for my hack, and ive been following the tutorial, but when i get to the part where you have to load the two pallets into APE keeps saying theres a runtime error and then crashing every time i try to load my new pallet. How do i fix this?
                                              The one that you save in VBA? Save it as a paintstop palette, not a windows palette. That will fix it.

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by SacredMurathJohn View Post
                                              I mean the events happening once-a-day like lottery in R/S/E.
                                              FRLG don't have native RTC, so there aren't any daily flags. You have to create new one manually using ASM and an RTC for FR.

Paired with Simba
                                              Old August 10th, 2013 (10:13 AM).
                                              AtecainCorp. AtecainCorp. is online now
                                              Rejishan awake...

Location: Takoabe Town (Region Thonsu)
                                                Nature: Hardy
                                                How fix broken Attack Table in Pokemon Ruby? I have strange failure. Some Attacks when I use them restaring my game. Someone can help me slove that problem?

Quick Reply