ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old October 11th, 2013 (2:18 PM).

Nature: Quiet
    @ karatekid i did use 0xFF i decompiled it and it became 255 and well got the script to work with valuable help from gogojtech

Relevant Advertising!

Old October 11th, 2013 (2:53 PM).
    Crit happens...

Nature: Lonely
      Hi everyone,
      I'm having trouble with importing sprites into unLZ-GBA. I created a sprite that I want to add. It is 64x64 and indexed with 16 colors. However, when I try to import this indexed sprite into unLZ-GBA, i get the message "Error: Image is not indexed". I used GIMP to make the sprite and Irfanview to convert it into a 64x64 16 color indexed png.
      One thing I've noticed is that unLZ always exports sprites with this very dark palette. Also, the PNGs generated by unLZ are about 500 to 700 bytes, but the ones I made with Irfanview are over 2 kilobytes, even though they are both 64x64, 16 colors and indexed. Anyone else experiencing these problems?

PS: I use Linux and am running unLZ and Irfanview in Wine, if this has anything to do with it.
      Wild WEBSITE used VIRUS!
      It's super effective!
      WINDOWS fainted!
      Go for it! LINUX!
      Wild WEBSITE used VIRUS!
      It doesn't affect LINUX...
      Old October 11th, 2013 (3:12 PM).
      (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
      • Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by RemixinROMulus View Post
      Hi everyone,
      I'm having trouble with importing sprites into unLZ-GBA. I created a sprite that I want to add. It is 64x64 and indexed with 16 colors. However, when I try to import this indexed sprite into unLZ-GBA, i get the message "Error: Image is not indexed". I used GIMP to make the sprite and Irfanview to convert it into a 64x64 16 color indexed png.
      One thing I've noticed is that unLZ always exports sprites with this very dark palette. Also, the PNGs generated by unLZ are about 500 to 700 bytes, but the ones I made with Irfanview are over 2 kilobytes, even though they are both 64x64, 16 colors and indexed. Anyone else experiencing these problems?

PS: I use Linux and am running unLZ and Irfanview in Wine, if this has anything to do with it.
      Un-Lz is tricky for beginners like you. Use NSE since it's more user-friendly. Plus you obviously did not index since your file is too big and you get the error saying it's not indexed.

Support me at my site!
      Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
      Old October 11th, 2013 (4:04 PM). Edited October 11th, 2013 by Teh Blazer.
      Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
        I gave the player a pokemon but when I try to view it the screen goes black and freezes. If I view another pokemon in my party and then use the arrow buttons to try and view the given pokemon, the screen freezes and the info that should be for the pokemon is a bunch of purple blocks and no image but the other things are all right (nature, area it was given, name, etc.). Did I royally screw up something in the ROM or is there some sort of other script I have to add (like the extra level scripts you have to add to make sure pokecenters don't freeze up on you)?

And it only happens for that Pokemon that was given, not any of my other pokemon in the party.
        Old October 11th, 2013 (4:12 PM).
        Crit happens...

Quote:
          Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
          Un-Lz is tricky for beginners like you. Use NSE since it's more user-friendly. Plus you obviously did not index since your file is too big and you get the error saying it's not indexed.
          I don't believe you can edit in-battle sprites with NSE. Isn't that just for trainer sprites? If I'm wrong, please show me how. I'm pretty sure my file is indexed. I used the same method that Maco used in his tutorial. Both GIMP and Irfanview show that the PNG is 64x64, 16 colors, and indexed, but unLZ disagrees. If no one else is having this problem, it might be a Wine issue.

Took a while to post. The servers are probably going crazy with X & Y being released tomorrow!
          Wild WEBSITE used VIRUS!
          It's super effective!
          WINDOWS fainted!
          Go for it! LINUX!
          Wild WEBSITE used VIRUS!
          Old October 11th, 2013 (4:12 PM). Edited October 11th, 2013 by DrFuji.
          • Gold Tier

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
          I gave the player a pokemon but when I try to view it the screen goes black and freezes. If I view another pokemon in my party and then use the arrow buttons to try and view the given pokemon, the screen freezes and the info that should be for the pokemon is a bunch of purple blocks and no image but the other things are all right (nature, area it was given, name, etc.). Did I royally screw up something in the ROM or is there some sort of other script I have to add (like the extra level scripts you have to add to make sure pokecenters don't freeze up on you)?

And it only happens for that Pokemon that was given, not any of my other pokemon in the party.
          Well that Pokemon's sprite is royally glitched up, being not aligned or not 16 colors or not Lz-77 compressed, or simply not pointed to correctly.

Quote:
          I don't believe you can edit in-battle sprites with NSE. Isn't that just for trainer sprites? If I'm wrong, please show me how. I'm pretty sure my file is indexed. I used the same method that Maco used in his tutorial. Both GIMP and Irfanview show that the PNG is 64x64, 16 colors, and indexed, but unLZ disagrees. If no one else is having this problem, it might be a Wine issue.

Took a while to post. The servers are probably going crazy with X & Y being released tomorrow!
          You have windows 7 paint? If so it automatically un-indexes PNGs. Us mspaint XP. Other than that NSE opens any image you throw at it, you just need a pointer, or use the plugin.

Support me at my site!
          Old October 11th, 2013 (4:24 PM).
          Crit happens...

Quote:
            You have windows 7 paint? If so it automatically un-indexes PNGs. Us mspaint XP. Other than that NSE opens any image you throw at it, you just need a pointer, or use the plugin.
            I use Linux, so I don't have paint. I used GIMP instead to make my sprites. Just found a tutorial for NSE. Man, that's so much easier! Is there any way to have NSE switch to a different in-game palette?, because I don't want to go through the whole process of making a custom palette.
            Wild WEBSITE used VIRUS!
            It's super effective!
            WINDOWS fainted!
            Go for it! LINUX!
            Wild WEBSITE used VIRUS!
            Old October 11th, 2013 (4:26 PM).
            • Gold Tier

Quote:
            I use Linux, so I don't have paint. I used GIMP instead to make my sprites. Just found a tutorial for NSE. Man, that's so much easier! Is there any way to have NSE switch to a different in-game palette?, because I don't want to go through the whole process of making a custom palette.
            1: Making a pal is easy and only 40 bytes if it's uncompressed.
            2: In the Navigate pane jump to an offset for an image and one for a pal. Simple. In NSE classic this is in "offset"

Support me at my site!
            Old October 11th, 2013 (4:45 PM).
            Crit happens...

@gogojjtech Thanks sooo much for your help! You're awesome!
              Wild WEBSITE used VIRUS!
              It's super effective!
              WINDOWS fainted!
              Go for it! LINUX!
              Wild WEBSITE used VIRUS!
              Old October 11th, 2013 (5:37 PM).
              What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Misledangel View Post
                @ karatekid i did use 0xFF i decompiled it and it became 255 and well got the script to work with valuable help from gogojtech
                I know for a fact that would not decompile that way, ever. lol

Paired with Simba
                Old October 11th, 2013 (9:50 PM).
                Divider of Zero

I tried to open up the Attack Editor but it gave me the error "InvalidArgument=Value of '255' is not valid for 'SelectedIndex'. Parameter name: SelectedIndex".

What do?
                  Old October 12th, 2013 (6:44 AM).

So i just applied Jpan engine, i just realized that the patch clear out every script in my ROM, including PokemonCenter script, any help for making a pokemon center script? i'd only know special 0x1 (which is used for healing your party) but there should be a command to make a pokemon center animation, any help? i'm not really asking for a script, but i'd be really glad if someone give me an example script
                    Old October 12th, 2013 (6:59 AM).

Nature: Quiet
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                      I know for a fact that would not decompile that way, ever. lol
                      hahaha your right i just rechecked i did fix it :p maybe posted the wrong decomplied anyways used your tile script tutorial to fix the issue so thanx to u too
                      Old October 12th, 2013 (8:01 AM).
                      • Gold Tier

Quote:
                      I tried to open up the Attack Editor but it gave me the error "InvalidArgument=Value of '255' is not valid for 'SelectedIndex'. Parameter name: SelectedIndex".

What do?
                      You should use PGE's attack editor. 2 this only happens if you repointed the tables. If you did, then change the INI to match, and reopen the tool. Next you will get that error, but it's all fine since it's not reading correctly until you create a move there. But it's fine. I added all moves up to gen 4, and I got that error every day. But it's fine AS LONG AS YOU REPOINT THE MOVE TABLES.

Support me at my site!
                      Old October 12th, 2013 (8:41 AM).
                      Divider of Zero

Quote:
                        You should use PGE's attack editor. 2 this only happens if you repointed the tables. If you did, then change the INI to match, and reopen the tool. Next you will get that error, but it's all fine since it's not reading correctly until you create a move there. But it's fine. I added all moves up to gen 4, and I got that error every day. But it's fine AS LONG AS YOU REPOINT THE MOVE TABLES.
                        I was using PGE's attack editor and tried to open up a clean Fire Red ROM in it and still got the same error. That's normal, right?
                        Old October 12th, 2013 (8:50 AM).
                        • Gold Tier

Quote:
                        I was using PGE's attack editor and tried to open up a clean Fire Red ROM in it and still got the same error. That's normal, right?
                        No, not normal. You must download the ini again, there's probably an issue, or you have FR 1.1

Support me at my site!
                        Old October 12th, 2013 (10:05 AM).

Nature: Quirky
                          I made my CMD administrator, moved "comdlg32.ocx" to System32 directory and I clearly see it there...so why do I keep getting this error message "The module "comdlg32.ocx" failed to load. Make sure binary is stored at specified root or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files ."

What do I need to do to solve this problem? I have a HP Windows 8 if that matters.

This is for one of my Pokemon editing programs, but it doesn't work without it!

1. Find a way to extend the life of a cell

2. Become a Sorcerer and become the greatest one alive!

3. Live in the Pokemon World! (Red, Ash, and Oak have not grown one bit)

100% REAL DEAL FO' REAL
                          Old October 12th, 2013 (3:13 PM).
                          • Gold Tier

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Mr_Stranger View Post
                          I made my CMD administrator, moved "comdlg32.ocx" to System32 directory and I clearly see it there...so why do I keep getting this error message "The module "comdlg32.ocx" failed to load. Make sure binary is stored at specified root or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files ."

What do I need to do to solve this problem? I have a HP Windows 8 if that matters.

This is for one of my Pokemon editing programs, but it doesn't work without it!
                          This usually happens with ordinary windows OS'
                          So you get comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx and follow this tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBC8L0glP68
                          Links: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0f4awp2dtlb920u/COMCTL32.OCX
                          https://www.dropbox.com/s/rsa0kxj4n2xio2m/COMDLG32.OCX

Support me at my site!
                          Old October 12th, 2013 (3:28 PM).

Well, I looked around but I can't find a tutorial on how to change the beginning of Emerald (too many tutorials for FR/LG and not enough for R/S/E but especially not enough for E... /rant)

Ideally, I'd like to make it just like in all the other games where you just spawn in a room rather than having a truck drive through my town, but does anyone have anything to point me in the right direction?

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
                            92% of teens moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
                            Old October 12th, 2013 (3:57 PM).
                            • Gold Tier

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Nelsyv View Post
                            Well, I looked around but I can't find a tutorial on how to change the beginning of Emerald (too many tutorials for FR/LG and not enough for R/S/E but especially not enough for E... /rant)

Ideally, I'd like to make it just like in all the other games where you just spawn in a room rather than having a truck drive through my town, but does anyone have anything to point me in the right direction?
                            https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqxx4tbe9fh5tfv/Advance%20IntroEd.zip
                            Advance Intro Ed
                            This tool allows you to determine what item starts in your PC, To remove the truck shaking ASM, to determine the map you spawn on, and the Pokemon released by the professor in the intro

Support me at my site!
                            Old October 12th, 2013 (4:11 PM). Edited October 12th, 2013 by Nelsyv.

Quote:
                              https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqxx4tbe9fh5tfv/Advance%20IntroEd.zip
                              Advance Intro Ed
                              This tool allows you to determine what item starts in your PC, To remove the truck shaking ASM, to determine the map you spawn on, and the Pokemon released by the professor in the intro
                              This looks fantastic! Am I just stupid, or is it not in the toolbox forum?

EDIT: Double Post
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I used that tool and made it spawn me in this little room:

And when I made a new file, everything else worked fine except the spawn room looks like this:

On the new file, if I leave the room after first spawning and come back, it looks just like it's supposed to. Any idea why that's happening, and how I can fix it? Or is it an error with Advance IntroED?

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
                              92% of teens moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
                              Old October 12th, 2013 (4:51 PM).
                              • Gold Tier

Quote:
                              This looks fantastic! Am I just stupid, or is it not in the toolbox forum?

So I used that tool and made it spawn me in this little room:

And when I made a new file, everything else worked fine except the spawn room looks like this:

On the new file, if I leave the room after first spawning and come back, it looks just like it's supposed to. Any idea why that's happening, and how I can fix it? Or is it an error with Advance IntroED?
                              It's RSE's horrible game engine and ASM. Just use setmaptile and force map refresh (don't know which special in RSE it is)

Support me at my site!
                              Old October 12th, 2013 (4:54 PM).

Quote:
                                It's RSE's horrible game engine and ASM. Just use setmaptile and force map refresh (don't know which special in RSE it is)
                                ... *blank stare* I should do what?

Old October 12th, 2013 (4:59 PM).
                                • Gold Tier

Quote:
                                ... *blank stare* I should do what?
                                "setmaptile"
                                It's a scripting command that sets a map tile
                                So you could change the tiles on the map
                                The problem is you need to refresh the map, and the only way is through a "special"
                                Also a scripting command that calls an ASM routine from a table
                                In RSE the specials are different from FR So GL finding it

Support me at my site!
                                Old October 12th, 2013 (5:11 PM).

Quote:
                                  "setmaptile"
                                  It's a scripting command that sets a map tile
                                  So you could change the tiles on the map
                                  The problem is you need to refresh the map, and the only way is through a "special"
                                  Also a scripting command that calls an ASM routine from a table
                                  In RSE the specials are different from FR So GL finding it
                                  Okay, so I...
                                  1. Make a script that activates when you step on it
                                  2. That script calls the "special"
                                  3. The "special" refreshes the map?

Closed Thread
                                  Quick Reply

Sponsored Links