ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Draconius GO
Closed Thread

Old October 15th, 2013 (3:17 PM).
Fluorite's back, brah
  • Gold Tier

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
You didn't repoint, so you broke some data in your game, causing glitches and corruptions
NSE asked me if I wanted to repoint and it gave me an offset so I went with it.

Relevant Advertising!

Old October 15th, 2013 (3:18 PM).
(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
  • Gold Tier

Nature: Jolly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sneasel View Post
NSE asked me if I wanted to repoint and it gave me an offset so I went with it.
You should keep track of where your data is stored and where the pointers are at.

Support me at my site!
Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
Old October 15th, 2013 (4:57 PM).
Oh Hai Thar~
  • Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
Question regarding the physical/special split.
Do I only have to manually set each attacks as physical or special with PGE or do I still have to tweak something within the ROM?

Thanks~

FC: 0061-1111-6462
TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Old October 15th, 2013 (5:22 PM).

Nature: Calm
    Im actually looking for some help.
    I want to know how to make wild pokemon appear outside of the tall grass.
    Im aiming to make a dessert route on firered similar to that of of ruby sapphire emerald.
    I have advance map.
    Thank you
    Old October 15th, 2013 (5:29 PM). Edited October 15th, 2013 by GoGoJJTech.
    • Gold Tier

Quote:
    Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
    Question regarding the physical/special split.
    Do I only have to manually set each attacks as physical or special with PGE or do I still have to tweak something within the ROM?

Thanks~
    Well for FR there's a patch that defines which is physical/special, but for rse, no, it's your own responsibility...
    While you're at it, you could update some moves like Fly, to extra power and etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoppleGang3r View Post
    Im actually looking for some help.
    I want to know how to make wild pokemon appear outside of the tall grass.
    Im aiming to make a dessert route on firered similar to that of of ruby sapphire emerald.
    I have advance map.
    Thank you
    A-MAP 1.92 PLEASE http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7781039&postcount=304
    So just copy the data of some grass tiles, and move the behavior and background bytes to your custom tile. This will make all grass pokemon appear in the desert. You just need to change the battle background, I recommend JPAN's engine since all of you hate ASM for whatever reason, IDK who ASM killed in your family but forgive it people

Support me at my site!
    Old October 15th, 2013 (6:07 PM).
    Pokémon Fuchsia
    • Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
    Can someone Pleeeeeeease send me a link to an asm tutorial that explains what it is and how to use it because I really want to learn it, but whenever I google it it just comes up with how to insert a shiny using asm and stuff like that... And a link would be best cause Ive already tried searching hackMew asm tutorials and stuff, but I cant find anything... Can someone Please please please help me?
    Old October 15th, 2013 (6:22 PM).
    Oh Hai Thar~
    • Silver Tier

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PokéMew151 View Post
    Can someone Pleeeeeeease send me a link to an asm tutorial that explains what it is and how to use it because I really want to learn it, but whenever I google it it just comes up with how to insert a shiny using asm and stuff like that... And a link would be best cause Ive already tried searching hackMew asm tutorials and stuff, but I cant find anything... Can someone Please please please help me?
    HackMew's ASM tutorial seems to be a good tutorial to start~
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=117917#ASM1

FC: 0061-1111-6462
    TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Old October 15th, 2013 (6:28 PM).

Hey thanks for the tip bro, and your right, AMv1.92 lets me do a lot more that v1.95 simply would not permit me to do.
      Old October 15th, 2013 (10:10 PM).
      (>^.(>0.0)>
      • Crystal Tier

So, this is weird... and surprisingly I can't find anyone else with the same problem.

Just doing an ordinary trainer battle, which works perfectly if I don't have the trainer box checked, and require you to talk to them manually... but if they see you and walk over like other trainers, the screen goes completely red as soon as they get to you, and the game freezes. I've looked at other trainers in game and I can't see that I'm doing anything differently. Any idea what's wrong?
      Old October 16th, 2013 (2:39 AM).
      • Gold Tier

Quote:
      Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post
      So, this is weird... and surprisingly I can't find anyone else with the same problem.

Just doing an ordinary trainer battle, which works perfectly if I don't have the trainer box checked, and require you to talk to them manually... but if they see you and walk over like other trainers, the screen goes completely red as soon as they get to you, and the game freezes. I've looked at other trainers in game and I can't see that I'm doing anything differently. Any idea what's wrong?
      You probably overwrote or deleted the loading routine for loading trainers, so you might have forgotten to repoint something along the way, and now since the routine is broken you're getting errors
      That pr your script is broken

Support me at my site!
      Old October 16th, 2013 (4:46 AM).

OKAY

This is mainly for gogojjtech, but I'm hoping that he will be able to answer this for me because I'm stumped.

There's that one fix for FireRed that allows the game to play 12 DS channels. I figured out, in theory, how to do the same for all games that use the Sappy engine. However! If you look through the Sappy doc you'll find this little bit here:

"However, there is many issues when changing it. When actually running the game, it often happens that the game manages to "force" it's own parameters (and ignore your changes)"

And I have found that Fire Emblem has this very same problem. By default it has 7 DS channels, and won't extend any more, much like Ruby. My question is this: has anyone ever looked into why this might be happening? Does it sound like something fixable with just hex?
        Old October 16th, 2013 (4:57 AM).
        Aussie's Toughest Mudder

Quote:
          Originally Posted by QuilavaKing View Post

I am almost certain this might be your script. Make sure that the number of pointers for trainerbattles commands match the battle type. Eg for 0x0 you have pointers for @prebattletalk, @wintext (during battle screen) and @afterbattle.

I had this problem because I was making a script like this:

#org @start
          msgbox @1 0x2
          trainerbattle 0x0 @pre @win @last
          release
          end

You dont need the message box command. If it isn't this try posting your script.
          Old October 16th, 2013 (11:27 AM). Edited October 16th, 2013 by Alice.
          (>^.(>0.0)>
          • Crystal Tier

EDIT: I'm dumb, no need for lock/faceplayer before a trainerbattle rofl.

Problem solved. lol
          Old October 16th, 2013 (11:32 AM).
          • Gold Tier

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Agro View Post
          OKAY

This is mainly for gogojjtech, but I'm hoping that he will be able to answer this for me because I'm stumped.

There's that one fix for FireRed that allows the game to play 12 DS channels. I figured out, in theory, how to do the same for all games that use the Sappy engine. However! If you look through the Sappy doc you'll find this little bit here:

"However, there is many issues when changing it. When actually running the game, it often happens that the game manages to "force" it's own parameters (and ignore your changes)"

And I have found that Fire Emblem has this very same problem. By default it has 7 DS channels, and won't extend any more, much like Ruby. My question is this: has anyone ever looked into why this might be happening? Does it sound like something fixable with just hex?
          What it could be is the RAM area, if it's full, then no extra tracks for you. Repointing the music table RAM lets the game read more DS instruments, and even allows for more tracks (16 max)

Support me at my site!
          Old October 16th, 2013 (5:24 PM).

Okay I've read up on ASM, and while I'm no means a master now, I'm fairly sure that I understand how it works, its limitations and its advantages. However, I'm still not sure how doing simple math and compare operations would help, per se, add more pokemon or change the Town Map/Pokenav map...

Are there any "intermdiate" tutorials anyone could suggest to use this simple manipulation of memory to actually do stuff in the game? (I'm quite sure I'm not "advanced" after a day or two of reading and practicing Although I could probably struggle along in most tutorials now that I understand what stuff does...)

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
            92% of teens moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
            Old October 16th, 2013 (5:29 PM).
            • Gold Tier

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Nelsyv View Post
            Okay I've read up on ASM, and while I'm no means a master now, I'm fairly sure that I understand how it works, its limitations and its advantages. However, I'm still not sure how doing simple math and compare operations would help, per se, add more pokemon or change the Town Map/Pokenav map...

Are there any "intermdiate" tutorials anyone could suggest to use this simple manipulation of memory to actually do stuff in the game? (I'm quite sure I'm not "advanced" after a day or two of reading and practicing Although I could probably struggle along in most tutorials now that I understand what stuff does...)
            Err, once you get the basics, you just need areas of RAM and ROM and you're good to start. Adding pokemon takes a lot -
            front sprite table
            backsprite table
            shiny front sprite table
            shiny backsprite table
            tm/hm compatibility
            stats
            all the pokedex limiters
            save block hacking
            icon table
            icon palette table
            egg moves table
            move compatibility

All of this would need to get repointed. Jambo51's 649 patch took 2 years, and then canceled by him. So, yeah

Support me at my site!
            Old October 16th, 2013 (5:53 PM).

Quote:
              Err, once you get the basics, you just need areas of RAM and ROM and you're good to start. Adding pokemon takes a lot -
              front sprite table
              backsprite table
              shiny front sprite table
              shiny backsprite table
              tm/hm compatibility
              stats
              all the pokedex limiters
              save block hacking
              icon table
              icon palette table
              egg moves table
              move compatibility

All of this would need to get repointed. Jambo51's 649 patch took 2 years, and then canceled by him. So, yeah
              1. Couldn't most or all of the above be done by moving the tables via hex to a location with more space and then adding the data you want? [/offsubject]

2. What would I have to know/do to add a "force map refresh" special to Emerald?

I believe in Jesus Christ my Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.
              92% of teens moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% who listens to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.
              Old October 16th, 2013 (5:55 PM).
              • Gold Tier

Quote:
              1. Couldn't most or all of the above be done by moving the tables via hex to a location with more space and then adding the data you want? [/offsubject]

2. What would I have to know/do to add a "force map refresh" special to Emerald?
              1: And ASM editing to let the game know that extra slots do exist, instead of looking only 80 slots (as an example)
              2: Just use the ASM from FR, being sure to change all pointers to Em ones and RAM pointers to Em ones.

Support me at my site!
              Old October 16th, 2013 (5:57 PM).

Quote:
                What it could be is the RAM area, if it's full, then no extra tracks for you. Repointing the music table RAM lets the game read more DS instruments, and even allows for more tracks (16 max)
                Yeah, I thought it might be that, but I actually had a look at the RAM and discovered something a little weird. In certain situations the game will allow 8 DS channels (title menu, battle preparations screen, battle BGM) but in others it will only allow 7, so I'm not entirely sure it's a RAM issue. I've tried repointing the RAM elsewhere and gotten the same issue.
                Old October 16th, 2013 (6:03 PM).

Quote:
                  1: And ASM editing to let the game know that extra slots do exist, instead of looking only 80 slots (as an example)
                  Ahh, hadn't thought of the fact that the game needs to know there's more after that stuff XP

Quote:
                  2: Just use the ASM from FR, being sure to change all pointers to Em ones and RAM pointers to Em ones.
                  I know I have the starting point for the code in FR (from the pointer on the specials table), but how do I know where it ends? Also, how would I change the specials table (in emerald) to add another special... is this where ASM comes into play?

Old October 16th, 2013 (6:43 PM).

Okay. Two questions.
                    1. What is the offset number for Champion Steven in Pokemon Ruby?
                    2. How would I go about scripting an event that would display a text box when the player exits the first gym after beating the gym leader?
                    Old October 16th, 2013 (7:13 PM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by gokaiblue View Post
                      Okay. Two questions.
                      1. What is the offset number for Champion Steven in Pokemon Ruby?
                      2. How would I go about scripting an event that would display a text box when the player exits the first gym after beating the gym leader?
                      1. I'm not sure, sorry :\
                      2. My best guess would be to make a level script for the town that first checks if the first badge flag is set, then displays a msgbox, and then sets another flag so that the message only appears once (make sure you check this flag also at the beginning of the script too ).

Old October 16th, 2013 (7:23 PM).

Could you give a brief example script just so I have an idea of what the script should look like?
                        Old October 16th, 2013 (8:09 PM).

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by gokaiblue View Post
                          Could you give a brief example script just so I have an idea of what the script should look like?
                          The meat of it would probably look something like this:

Code:
                          checkflag 0x(yourflag)
                          if 0x1 goto @badge
                          release
                          end

#org @badge
                          checkflag 0x807
                          if 0x1 goto @msg
                          release
                          end

#org @msg
                          (msgbox saying what you wanted...)
                          setflag 0x(yourflag)
                          Although it's getting late here, so don't copy it exactly And of course, replace "0x(yourflag)" with the flag that tells if the message has been seen already.

If you're not sure about flags, check out the flag section of diegoisawesome's XSE tutorial. Also, level scripts are added from the header page in AdvanceMap, if your forgot

Old October 17th, 2013 (3:20 AM).
                          What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
                            Quote:
                            Ahh, hadn't thought of the fact that the game needs to know there's more after that stuff XP

I know I have the starting point for the code in FR (from the pointer on the specials table), but how do I know where it ends? Also, how would I change the specials table (in emerald) to add another special... is this where ASM comes into play?
                            Where it ends.... Dude, I'm sorry to say, that part requires actually looking at the ASM and following it.

Paired with Simba
                            Closed Thread

Quick Reply