ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old October 29th, 2013 (6:19 PM).

Does anyone know how to point to a custom item script in GSC? If there's an actual pointer, it would help. I did see an ASM pointer in an item editor I was using, but I want to change it to use a new address. The pointer is only 2 bytes from what I saw.

The Vocaloids battling with Pokemon? What could go wrong?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI8YOOHlEXQ
    Po pi po! (Pokemon Gold music import)
    Check out my channel for more!

Relevant Advertising!

Old October 29th, 2013 (11:24 PM).
    Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Nature: Relaxed
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Airikita View Post
      Does anyone know how to point to a custom item script in GSC? If there's an actual pointer, it would help. I did see an ASM pointer in an item editor I was using, but I want to change it to use a new address. The pointer is only 2 bytes from what I saw.
      You could always try to locate the routine that uses the items and either transfer all the item code & data to a new rom bank (I did a similar thing with my own hack - I transfered the whole code related to trainers and their pokemon data into a different rom bank), or just try to modify the routine so that a new rom bank would be determined for the item data (more complicated way probably).

If you want to go for the first option, try to trace back the code with BGB's debugger, or just by using Gameboy Asssembly Editor. Though I'm not entirely sure what you asked here, but if you really want to make room for items' scripts, moving the whole data to a different part of the rom is not such a bad idea.

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
      CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
      -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
      Old October 30th, 2013 (12:29 AM).
      Divider of Zero

In Advance Map there is a wild pokemon option for grass, water, fishing, and trees.

Is it possible for a hacker to use the "tree data" to create a second tile of grass with different pokemon in it than normal grass, like how dark grass was different from regular grass?
        Old October 30th, 2013 (2:28 AM).
        ROM HACKER

Nature: Timid
          Whenever I try to load the Viridian City map on advance map it either freezes or gives me loads of error messages all at once and forces me to quit the program. Does anyone know why it happens?
          Old October 30th, 2013 (3:11 AM). Edited October 30th, 2013 by karatekid552.
          What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
            In Advance Map there is a wild pokemon option for grass, water, fishing, and trees.

Is it possible for a hacker to use the "tree data" to create a second tile of grass with different pokemon in it than normal grass, like how dark grass was different from regular grass?
            If I remember right, the Tree data is mislabeled and is really for Rock-Smash rocks. Anything is possible, but what you are asking is to write a new behavior byte for your new title that creates a random battle. This us very possible, and can be done easily with JPAN's engine, in which you could script it.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Charles Dupiau View Post
            Whenever I try to load the Viridian City map on advance map it either freezes or gives me loads of error messages all at once and forces me to quit the program. Does anyone know why it happens?
            If this is for just this one map, well first: does it play in game? Most likely, you corrupted it. A-map tends to have more of a tolerance for corruption, as maps that won't load in game will still load in A-map. However, if it is really bad, then A-map won't load it at all.

Paired with Simba
            Old October 30th, 2013 (5:36 AM).
            Pianoist

Nature: Serious
              I got a problem. A real bad one.
              When we started from a "Clean Rom" to another and started scripting and mapping.
              Just today, after I finished off mapping. I restarted my rom and tested the events from the start.
              But when I tried to go outside my starting map it hangs, I keep doing it and still hangs. When I checked the a-map and went to the starting map, It says "Invalid map footer" also my A-map is set to the latest version, am I doing something wrong? Me and my girl---friend just mapped seven maps and changed almost everything of the appearance and it looks original. This happened to me before, my hack's progress is good, so I'll appreciate a explanation and prevention or even a cure (lol) so yeah, help?
              Old October 30th, 2013 (7:14 AM).
              Divider of Zero

Quote:
                Originally Posted by kaedearagaki View Post
                I got a problem. A real bad one.
                When we started from a "Clean Rom" to another and started scripting and mapping.
                Just today, after I finished off mapping. I restarted my rom and tested the events from the start.
                But when I tried to go outside my starting map it hangs, I keep doing it and still hangs. When I checked the a-map and went to the starting map, It says "Invalid map footer" also my A-map is set to the latest version, am I doing something wrong? Me and my girl---friend just mapped seven maps and changed almost everything of the appearance and it looks original. This happened to me before, my hack's progress is good, so I'll appreciate a explanation and prevention or even a cure (lol) so yeah, help?
                I'll get to it before gogojjtech and karatekid22 so they don't beat you over the head with it since they have repeated it many times by now. Advancemap 1.95 is still called a Beta for a reason, it's very buggy and occasionally messes up maps and corrupts data.

I'm not too sure about Advancemap fixes, but you can try to open up Advancemap 1.92 and port over the same map over the corrupted data via the "Insert Map" thing at the top. Of course if Advancemap 1.95 won't let you see the map, you'd have to recreate the map unless you saved an earlier stage of it.
                Old October 30th, 2013 (8:00 AM).

Quote:
                  I'll get to it before gogojjtech and karatekid22 so they don't beat you over the head with it since they have repeated it many times by now. Advancemap 1.95 is still called a Beta for a reason, it's very buggy and occasionally messes up maps and corrupts data.

I'm not too sure about Advancemap fixes, but you can try to open up Advancemap 1.92 and port over the same map over the corrupted data via the "Insert Map" thing at the top. Of course if Advancemap 1.95 won't let you see the map, you'd have to recreate the map unless you saved an earlier stage of it.
                  But... He never said he was using 1.95....

However, if he was, I wouldn't be surprised by the results.

Paired with Simba
                  Old October 30th, 2013 (9:15 AM).

Hello everyone, I has a problem need to ask... After I assemble my .s file to my rom, and I started play my rom, the in game song that I assemble voice was loudly than other original song voice... How can I fix it? Thanks

PS: Sorry for my bad english...
                    Old October 30th, 2013 (10:40 AM).
                    Divider of Zero

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                      But... He never said he was using 1.95....

However, if he was, I wouldn't be surprised by the results.
                      Well, he said he was using the latest version and I assumed that meant 1.95. :/
                      Old October 30th, 2013 (2:52 PM). Edited October 30th, 2013 by Feaw.

Is there currently a way to edit moves in pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver?
                        PPRE is very bugged in this regard, so it won't work, and I've searched a lot for this, but no results.

And does anyone know the offset to edit type effectiveness in Heart Gold and Soul Silver?
                        I found this thread:
                        http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83674

But it only supports up to Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, so if anyone knows the offset for HG/SS, I can do the rest myself (doubt there's an editor for this, but I know my way around a hex editor).

Thanks .

EDIT:

seems like I've found the place, but it's kinda a jumbled mess... not everything seems to align properly, still trying to figure out;
                        http://gyazo.com/af33d5d469ec90f9c129ba75d6e24ada
                        Guess I'll just share this in the meantime until I can figure it out, or until I become stuck and need help.

EDIT:
                        okay, so it doesn't list neutral damage outputs, in which case I will need to let it point to some free space where i can add more of these. I've tried to figure out how to repoint this, but I don't seem to get it, so can anyone help me with this please?
                        Old October 30th, 2013 (6:47 PM).
                        Pianoist

Nature: Serious
                          Quote:
                          Well, he said he was using the latest version and I assumed that meant 1.95. :/
                          Yes, I am using the latest version.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
                          Hello everyone, I has a problem need to ask... After I assemble my .s file to my rom, and I started play my rom, the in game song that I assemble voice was loudly than other original song voice... How can I fix it? Thanks

PS: Sorry for my bad english...
                          About that, you should read gogojtech's tutorial http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=301027
                          Old October 31st, 2013 (2:51 AM).

Quote:
                            Yes, I am using the latest version.
                            Okay, then I will give you my speech:

LATEST VERSION != STABLE VERSION

1.95 is an unfinished, open beta. It has bugs. It has issues. It says that right on the download page.

1.92 is a stable version with only one or two bugs that never cause too many issues. It also can do almost everything 1.95 can. 1.95 has only 3 new features: tileset adding (which can be done by hand), bucket fill (which, if you are using, your maps will be boring), and a "replace all of same type" bucket fill (only useful feature). Just use 1.92.

Paired with Simba
                            Old October 31st, 2013 (4:45 AM).
                            Banned

I will tell you why 1.92 sucks sometimes:

>saving tilesets as independend bitmap (.dib), sucks to open with paint.
                              >palettes are not RGB but RBG which can **** up tileset-porting.
                              >levelscripts on more than one map can bug by having same variable and script-offset.
                              >No "Fill" or "Magic wand" function

I suggest you to use the different versions, depending on what you want to do.
                              Old October 31st, 2013 (9:42 AM).

Quote:
                                About that, you should read gogojtech's tutorial http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=301027
                                Finally I fixed this problem, thanks you very much~
                                Old October 31st, 2013 (10:04 AM).
                                Gaijin Trainer

Nature: Timid
                                  I'm a bit lost on my Patinum translation/minor hacking , someone could help me please?
                                  For the charcater names I find some on the text file I got with TheNewPokeText (Pl_msg.narc) and I think isn't all there, Like for Cynthia and Cyrus to show in battle as example, the sabe with some trainer classes, I found a few but not all of them are there, maybe they are on another file, not on the Pl_msg.narc?(And about the msg.narc that are text from D/P, the platinum make any use of this file or is just a leftover?)

Another idea is for an extra on the translation, but could be usefull for someone that want to play the platinum nowadays: I want to hide some of the event key itens, for the darkrai event, shaymin event and and stufs, as example, I want to hide the Oak's letter on a corner in the Rowan's laboratory, if the player go and press A, will find the item there, just a example of what I want to do, locating it as a common item in a pokeball too
                                  Old October 31st, 2013 (11:20 AM).

Hi, how do you play pokemon hacks? How do you save on them and get them? I know nothing about them and really want to play them, can you please help me? I will be so happy if you do!
                                    Old October 31st, 2013 (12:12 PM).
                                    • Gold Tier

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Mewpika View Post
                                    Hi, how do you play pokemon hacks? How do you save on them and get them? I know nothing about them and really want to play them, can you please help me? I will be so happy if you do! :)
                                    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=73966
                                    Old October 31st, 2013 (1:55 PM).
                                    Divider of Zero

I know I saw them here recently but for the life of me, I can't seem to find the offsets to the mom and pokecenter script that activate when the player's pokemon faint. Can anybody remind me what they are?
                                      Old October 31st, 2013 (9:24 PM).
                                      Former Pokemon League Champion

Nature: Gentle
                                        hi ive been searching everywhere for this but i have a few questions

1 is there a way to edit the new game intro where prof birch tells you about your adventure and how you moved to littleroot town

2.is there a way to edit the script that is used when you leave the truck where your mom tells you about the town and makes you go to your room and set the clock and all that i clicked the sprite of mom at the door but it doesnt mention that just about getting a pokemon from birch and getting the running shoes(cuz if im gonna have a diff map im starting in i dont want mom to tell me about riding in the truck)

3. is there a way to change the map you start in instead of the truck( yes i ahve the starting map chooser but what i mean is can i change the map without it affecting the script

4. also i noticed that after extensively modifying my pokemon hack rom the music in the background changes slightly like a beep instead of another instrument is this fixable?

also if you can pm me your answers i very seldom post in threads and when i do i tend to forget so if you could thanks in advance

Old October 31st, 2013 (9:27 PM).
                                        Winter Wonderland Winter Wonderland is offline
                                        Puts the fun in dysfunctional

Nature: Quirky
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by JordanB500 View Post

1 is there a way to edit the new game intro where prof birch tells you about your adventure and how you moved to littleroot town

2.is there a way to edit the script that is used when you leave the truck where your mom tells you about the town and makes you go to your room and set the clock and all that i clicked the sprite of mom at the door but it doesnt mention that just about getting a pokemon from birch and getting the running shoes(cuz if im gonna have a diff map im starting in i dont want mom to tell me about riding in the truck)

3. is there a way to change the map you start in instead of the truck( yes i ahve the starting map chooser but what i mean is can i change the map without it affecting the script

4. also i noticed that after extensively modifying my pokemon hack rom the music in the background changes slightly like a beep instead of another instrument is this fixable?

also if you can pm me your answers i very seldom post in threads and when i do i tend to forget so if you could thanks in advance
                                          1. Probably easiest way is using the A-text tool.
                                          2. Of course. Use XSE and take a look at diegoisawesome's scripting tutorial. Scripting is used to make events come to life inside of games. Without it, you just have maps.
                                          3. I'm not qualified to answer this
                                          4. Or this.

Some say the world will end in fire,
                                          Some say in ice.
                                          From what I've tasted of desire
                                          I hold with those who favor fire.
                                          But if it had to perish twice,
                                          I think I know enough of hate
                                          To say that for destruction ice
                                          Is also great
                                          And would suffice.
                                          Robert Frost, Fire and Ice.

Play Me Casually | The Leola Project

Old November 1st, 2013 (4:16 AM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                            Quote:

1) A-text, hex editor, XSE. Your pick.

2) It is in the header for that map. Those types of scripts are called "level scirpts" or "map scripts" and tend to run when you enter or warp into a map. You should read the level scripting tutorial here.

3) Yes. You need to use a combination of SMCA (Start Map Chooser Advance) and Truck Remover (to remove the truck moving animation at the beginning).

4) I know nothing of music hacking.

Paired with Simba
                                            Old November 1st, 2013 (7:23 AM).
                                            Former Pokemon League Champion

Nature: Gentle
                                              my reply to your answers,
                                              1. i know what to use just not the offset of the script /text

2. i opened the script for the map and it does tell how the event is started by moving into the map itself but it doesnt show any actual text unless its in an offset not used in the map itself

3. same as above it doesnt affect the script to start in another map but it makes it awkward

4. it has nothing to do with modifying the music its just that when you use advance map to edit a lot of things or use multiple tools the music sounds out of tune of course changing the music for a certain area while not considred music hacking might also be the cause as ive used many different themes for diff areas

and one extra question

5. is it possible to edit an item to make it open up the pc just an idea

Old November 1st, 2013 (10:06 AM).
                                              Drag a needle on the good today

Quote:
                                                It's most likely because you overwrote 00 bytes where the voicegroups are located. I'm assuming that you're hacking Emerald, so be sure to use FF bytes for free space. It is fixable but you will have to erase data that you placed in the 0x600000s. Open up a clean Emerald ROM in a hex editor and copy the data from 0x600000-0x6FFFFF and paste write it in your modified Emerald ROM at 0x600000.

My Favorite Song
                                                Old November 1st, 2013 (10:08 AM).

@chrunch

I've seen that before and it didn't help that much. I have a problem with my games. When I got them in VBA and saved then came back to play it it was very glitchy and slow. How do I get that to stop happening? I put it on Flash 128K. Can someone here help me with that and please explain patching files because I heard that you need to do that for some hacks. Thanks.
                                                  Closed Thread

Quick Reply