ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old December 31st, 2013 (9:49 AM).

Is there an alternative to Wichu's Sprite Position Editor? When I open it, it just gives me an error and closes...

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 31st, 2013 (10:27 AM).
    The Cutest Duskull

Nature: Timid
      Okay, I'm back with more questions.
      NOTE: these all involve JPAN's hacked engine.

First, say I add some sprites to a second sprite table after inserting the sprite hack into a clean rom. How would I access these sprites for use in game on a normal map? Would Advance Map be able to access them or would it involve a script, or would hex editing be needed?

Second, the information about the swarm/roaming pokemon hack and the wild data switch was confusing. Could somebody help by providing and explaining a couple examples?

Or if there is a tutorial or tutorials that could help with both/either of these, pointing me to those would be a help too. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
      Old December 31st, 2013 (10:57 AM).

Quote:
        Is there an alternative to Wichu's Sprite Position Editor? When I open it, it just gives me an error and closes...
        Advance Sprite Position Editor.
        Old December 31st, 2013 (12:40 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by ~Pokedude~ View Post
          Advance Sprite Position Editor.
          yeah, that's the one I can't use...
          Old December 31st, 2013 (12:48 PM).
          What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by necudma View Post
            Hex editing. What is the error?

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Merak View Post
            Okay, I'm back with more questions.
            NOTE: these all involve JPAN's hacked engine.

First, say I add some sprites to a second sprite table after inserting the sprite hack into a clean rom. How would I access these sprites for use in game on a normal map? Would Advance Map be able to access them or would it involve a script, or would hex editing be needed?

Second, the information about the swarm/roaming pokemon hack and the wild data switch was confusing. Could somebody help by providing and explaining a couple examples?

Or if there is a tutorial or tutorials that could help with both/either of these, pointing me to those would be a help too. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
            1) They won't show up in A-map, however you can put in the index numbers and they will work in game. It just looks bad in A-map.

2) I believe you just set a var and then call a special, like most of his hack.

Paired with Simba
            Old December 31st, 2013 (1:28 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
              As soon as I try to open the program, I get a pop up saying "Advanced Sprite Position Editor has stopped working, windows can check online for a solution"
              I've read a lot of people have had the same problem but I didn't find a solution.
              Old December 31st, 2013 (1:38 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by necudma View Post
                As soon as I try to open the program, I get a pop up saying "Advanced Sprite Position Editor has stopped working, windows can check online for a solution"
                I've read a lot of people have had the same problem but I didn't find a solution.
                Make sure you have all of the .NET frameworks up to and including 4.0. So, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and 4.0. They all build on top of each other, and if you're missing one, an application may start and then crash. (Personally why I don't like .NET framework: they did do an all in one packager and it only runs on Windows. Otherwise it is a good framework.)

Paired with Simba
                Old December 31st, 2013 (2:31 PM).

Nature: Mild
                  I really need to find some scripters for simple conversation scripts and trainer battles things like that because my hack is like 90% done for the first BETA just no scripts and I have tried this site for like the past month posting on help boards script boards and team recruitment boards to no avail. Does anyone know of a site other that this one that has people willing to do some scripting? Because honestly I am about ready to just give up on my hack because its not going to get anywhere without some scripts
                  Old December 31st, 2013 (2:58 PM).
                  The Cutest Duskull

Quote:

1) They won't show up in A-map, however you can put in the index numbers and they will work in game. It just looks bad in A-map.

2) I believe you just set a var and then call a special, like most of his hack.
                    I'm a bit confused. Where exactly do I enter the index number of the sprite?

And after another look through the swarm/roaming pokemon special in the instruction manuel for JPAN's hacked engine, I get the level part, but I'm not sure I understand how to set the locations the pokemon will appear(grass, fishing, etc).
                    Old December 31st, 2013 (3:01 PM).

Hi! I'm new to ROMhacking and I am trying to make a hack of pokemon ruby for personal use. I was looking but couldn't find anything pertaining to this: How do I add newer generations of Pokemon into my generation III game? Is there a tool for this? If not, what's the hard way for doing it. I know that it can be done because it has been done for the popular ROM hacks. Example: Pokemon Light Platinum.
                      Old December 31st, 2013 (3:16 PM). Edited December 31st, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
                        I'm a bit confused. Where exactly do I enter the index number of the sprite?

And after another look through the swarm/roaming pokemon special in the instruction manuel for JPAN's hacked engine, I get the level part, but I'm not sure I understand how to set the locations the pokemon will appear(grass, fishing, etc).
                        1) Where you normally do. As, for sprites over 0xFF, you can use the very next unknown byte as the 0xYYFF.

2) Let me see it.

Paired with Simba
                        Old December 31st, 2013 (3:16 PM).

Nature: Mild
                          The only problem with this is you have to delete some of the pokemon that are in the game. So say you want the starley line but not the pidgey line you would take it out and put in the starly line. There are like 2 or 3 tools you will need look up advance pokemon sprite editor which will let you change the sprie and YAPE (Yet Another Pokemon Editor) will let you change the name stats and type stuff like that as well as the moves. If you have anymore questions you can just PM me
                          Old December 31st, 2013 (3:17 PM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by ps2314 View Post
                            Hi! I'm new to ROMhacking and I am trying to make a hack of pokemon ruby for personal use. I was looking but couldn't find anything pertaining to this: How do I add newer generations of Pokemon into my generation III game? Is there a tool for this? If not, what's the hard way for doing it. I know that it can be done because it has been done for the popular ROM hacks. Example: Pokemon Light Platinum.
                            Light Platinum REPLACED the old gen iii pokemon with new ones. As of right now, that is the only feasible option.

Paired with Simba
                            Old December 31st, 2013 (3:41 PM).
                            Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
                              In fire red the pokedex can be organized by the location where the pokemon lives. How would I change a pokemon's habitat so if I wanted to replace a pokemon with another, my Dialga won't be living in the ocean.
                              Old December 31st, 2013 (4:26 PM).
                              Kawaii Shoujo Duskull Kawaii Shoujo Duskull is offline
                              The Cutest Duskull

Quote:
                                1) Where you normally do. As, for sprites over 0xFF, you can use the very next unknown byte as the 0xYYFF.

2) Let me see it.
                                Ah I see. Thanks for help on that first part.

And about the instruction manual(spelled it wrong in my last post lol), I meant the document titled "Pokemon Hacked Instruction Manual" that comes with the hacked engine.
                                Here's the part I'm confused about, located under "Special 0x56 – Swarm-roaming Pokémon changer"(this is copy-pasted straight from the file.)

-------------------------
                                Variable 0x8007 lower half is the location, and the upper half is the level the pokémon is found in. Used to avoid “underwater Charizard”-like scenarios.
                                First 4 bits of the word are the location values. 0x0 does the same as 0xf, that is, the pokémon is found anywhere you want.
                                Bit 0 = grass
                                Bit 1 = surfing
                                Bit 2 = tree\rock-smash
                                Bit 3 = fishing
                                So 0x9 (1001b) would mean that the pokémon is found on grass and by fishing
                                The upper half is the level of a roaming pokémon. For instance, if you want a lv. 80 pokémon in the wild grass only, use setvar 0x8007 0x5001
                                -----------------
                                (I hope that's what you meant by "let me see it")
                                Basicly, I don't understand how to set the location of the swarm or roaming pokemon to specific areas like grass or water, or a combination of certain ones. Either I'm overthinking this or I just don't understand it.
                                Old December 31st, 2013 (5:21 PM).

Quote:
                                  Ah I see. Thanks for help on that first part.

And about the instruction manual(spelled it wrong in my last post lol), I meant the document titled "Pokemon Hacked Instruction Manual" that comes with the hacked engine.
                                  Here's the part I'm confused about, located under "Special 0x56 – Swarm-roaming Pokémon changer"(this is copy-pasted straight from the file.)

-------------------------
                                  Variable 0x8007 lower half is the location, and the upper half is the level the pokémon is found in. Used to avoid “underwater Charizard”-like scenarios.
                                  First 4 bits of the word are the location values. 0x0 does the same as 0xf, that is, the pokémon is found anywhere you want.
                                  Bit 0 = grass
                                  Bit 1 = surfing
                                  Bit 2 = tree\rock-smash
                                  Bit 3 = fishing
                                  So 0x9 (1001b) would mean that the pokémon is found on grass and by fishing
                                  The upper half is the level of a roaming pokémon. For instance, if you want a lv. 80 pokémon in the wild grass only, use setvar 0x8007 0x5001
                                  -----------------
                                  (I hope that's what you meant by "let me see it")
                                  Basicly, I don't understand how to set the location of the swarm or roaming pokemon to specific areas like grass or water, or a combination of certain ones. Either I'm overthinking this or I just don't understand it.
                                  You just don't understand bits. When someone is talking about bits, they mean binary. So, get out your windows calculator. Put it in binary mode. Now, input 0000. This is 0x0. So, if you set bit 0, you get grass, which is 1000 or 0x8. If you want surfing, set bit 1, so 0100 or 0x4. Now, you can set grass and surfing by setting bits 0 and 1: 1100 or 0xC. The last two bits for tree and fishing, respectively, work the same way. Here are some examples:

0010 = 0x2 = tree
                                  1111 = 0xF = All
                                  1101 = 0xD = grass, surf, and fishing

Any questions?

Paired with Simba
                                  Old December 31st, 2013 (5:47 PM).

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Luxray1 View Post
                                    I really need to find some scripters for simple conversation scripts and trainer battles things like that because my hack is like 90% done for the first BETA just no scripts and I have tried this site for like the past month posting on help boards script boards and team recruitment boards to no avail. Does anyone know of a site other that this one that has people willing to do some scripting? Because honestly I am about ready to just give up on my hack because its not going to get anywhere without some scripts
                                    PKSV has a script generator that can do both of those with minimal effort.
                                    Old December 31st, 2013 (7:11 PM).
                                    Kawaii Shoujo Duskull Kawaii Shoujo Duskull is offline
                                    The Cutest Duskull

Quote:
                                      You just don't understand bits. When someone is talking about bits, they mean binary. So, get out your windows calculator. Put it in binary mode. Now, input 0000. This is 0x0. So, if you set bit 0, you get grass, which is 1000 or 0x8. If you want surfing, set bit 1, so 0100 or 0x4. Now, you can set grass and surfing by setting bits 0 and 1: 1100 or 0xC. The last two bits for tree and fishing, respectively, work the same way. Here are some examples:

0010 = 0x2 = tree
                                      1111 = 0xF = All
                                      1101 = 0xD = grass, surf, and fishing

Any questions?
                                      Huh. That's actually pretty simple. I think I've got it down now.
                                      Thanks, this helps a lot, and with more than just this issue.
                                      Old December 31st, 2013 (7:12 PM).
                                      Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
                                      • Crystal Tier

im trying to figure out this "0EF clears party, erasing all pokemon. And this definitely erases them, as the code clearly only fills the places with 0's" but for emerald not fire red or ruby... how would i go about finding what special that is in emerald?

/// Pokémon: Discovery
                                      /// Pokémon: Fat Kid
                                      /// Tile Insertion Tutorial For AdvanceMap
                                      /// Pokémon Emerald Specials Resource Thread
                                      /// Pokémon Emerald Decapitalization Patch
                                      /// Emerald Titlescreen Cloud Removal Tutorial
                                      /// Tutorial For Fixing Any ROM-related Bug
                                      Old December 31st, 2013 (7:16 PM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Le pug View Post
                                        im trying to figure out this "0EF clears party, erasing all pokemon. And this definitely erases them, as the code clearly only fills the places with 0's" but for emerald not fire red or ruby... how would i go about finding what special that is in emerald?
                                        It would be easier to write your own routine. Very easy actually.

Paired with Simba
                                        Old December 31st, 2013 (7:36 PM).
                                        ふゆかい

Nature: Quiet
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Kensuke View Post
                                          Are there any good spriting tutorials?
                                          like making fakemon or recoloring?
                                          what software should I use?
                                          I use Paint.NET is it going to help me?
                                          No. Not that I have known. There isn't. You just gotta enhance your skills if you're not that good yet.
                                          But the harder you try, the better the results.

Old December 31st, 2013 (7:50 PM).

I've been learning how to script recently, and I'm having trouble with Hackmew's preprocessing directives in xse (I'm trying to use the #clean, #erase directives so I can delete scripts I've already compiled)
                                            Problem is, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with these directives. Am I supposed to decompile the compiled script, add the directive somewhere, and compile it again, or am I supposed to do something else? Nothing I've done is working so far. I managed to delete my script by filling it in with FF's on my hex editor, but I want to use the directives too, to make things easier.
                                            Old December 31st, 2013 (8:16 PM).
                                            karatekid552 karatekid552 is offline

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by pikapoke33 View Post
                                              I've been learning how to script recently, and I'm having trouble with Hackmew's preprocessing directives in xse (I'm trying to use the #clean, #erase directives so I can delete scripts I've already compiled)
                                              Problem is, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with these directives. Am I supposed to decompile the compiled script, add the directive somewhere, and compile it again, or am I supposed to do something else? Nothing I've done is working so far. I managed to delete my script by filling it in with FF's on my hex editor, but I want to use the directives too, to make things easier.
                                              Let's say you compile a Dynamic script. Then you edit, and compile again. #Clean will erase the old the old script and the new one will take its place. If you close XSE, the #Clean is cleared and won't work next time. You must have the same script open the whole time.

Paired with Simba
                                              Old January 1st, 2014 (1:05 AM).
                                              Crit happens.

Nature: Lax
                                                I managed to figure out my last question on my own, but now I have another that's got me stumped. In Emerald, does anyone know where to find the images for the type icons used while inspecting TMs? They're different from the ones displayed when looking at Poke info.

I've been through all 10k unLZ deep-scanned images (which took longer than I'd care to admit), and I didn't see any sign of them anywhere. Looking at the VBA memory viewer they all seem to use the same palette, so I'm thinking they're probably all stored together somewhere.

A Gen 3 remake de-make, featuring many new encounters and Gen VI mechanics

Old January 1st, 2014 (3:51 AM).
                                                ~Pokedude~ ~Pokedude~ is offline

As far as i know, this is only one image in the ROM, which gamefreak changes it's color
                                                  depending on the type of the attack.
                                                  Closed Thread
                                                  Quick Reply

Sponsored Links