ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old February 7th, 2009 (6:56 AM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlazeTehKin View Post
    Is there a trainer editer for Pokemon Red and Pokemon Gold? Because I want to make a Pokemon hack.
    I don’t know of any trainer editing programs available for those games. However, they can be modified with a hex editor—see this trainer editing tutorial.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Viper Jay 5 View Post
    My question is kind of the same. I changed the main hero of Pokemon Red into Silver (The rival in Gold/Silver) However, I'd like to change the trainer picture itself in Pokemon Red to reflect him. It can be the exact look from Pokemon Gold. How can I copy it over without doing anything too complicated. I have a hex editor and if I knew what to find in Pokemon Gold and what to replace in Pokemon Red, I think I'd be okay.
    Gold, Silver, and Crystal use a different compression format for images, so you cannot simply copy bytes from ROM to ROM and get a usable image.

Trainer and Pokémon images can be extracted from Red, Blue, and Yellow ROMs with rbgfx.c, but there is no tool available to compress new images. Pokémon Brown gets around this by using assembly to bypass the decompression routine in the ROM, making it load uncompressed images instead.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hazzamon View Post
    I'm hacking Pokemon Blue cause my FR rom got deleted and the site I get roms from is down, so I need a program to edit Blue. Pokemap wont work on my computer (I've got vista)
    If anyone has another program I'll be grateful.
    Redmap? You can get it from Presea’s archive.
    Quote:
    Oh, I also need a Scripting program (also for Blue) and a text editor (again for Blue)
    No scripting program exists for Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow, because those games do not have a scripting engine. In‐game events must be edited in ASM.

In general, the best option for editing text is to use a table file with a hex editor.
    Quote:
    Btw, how many tools are out for Blue?
    Not many. You can do quite a lot with a hex editor, but that has a learning curve (although it is far from impossible for beginners).

I would recommend hacking Pokémon Gold instead if you’re a novice. It has a similar format to Pokémon Blue, but is organized more cleanly—and yes, it does have more tools available for it.

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
    Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
    Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 7th, 2009 (7:55 AM).
    Finally Flyin' Solo

Nature: Adamant
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
      What do you mean "copy it from that image"? What did you want to do?
      Oh never mind I figured it out.
      Old February 7th, 2009 (8:58 AM).
      Mewtwo Strikes Back
      • Crystal Tier

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Lyzo View Post
      Is there a way to use the behaviour hidden without making the game restart?
      There are different options. If you need to hide a person who is far away, then a setflag [PersonID] will work fine. If the person is in the near, then you can still use setflag but you need an hidesprite command too. And eventually a fadescreen.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by mrhiyuck View Post
      Hope this is a valid question.
      Is there any way to have another character follow you throughout a map? Through scripting, or hex editing, perhaps?
      The only way to do so would be ASM hacking. Scripting wasn't designed to support follow-me-like scripts.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Tropical Sunlight View Post
      I'll just try replacing another Pokemon, then.

How do you change this:
      Simply by editing the level script. Enable the Professional Header View, then go to the Header Tab, copy the Map Script Offset there and paste it into XSE. Check the Level Script option (the button near the Decompile one in the toolbar) and voilà.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Sunnybeam View Post
      So I'm leading a hack project. No, it doesn't have a thread on PC, but it might eventually, when we have enough done to start advertising.

There are a couple issues I need cleared up early on in the project. Here are my questions...

1. Is it possible to add a new element? If not, is it possible to overwrite the ??? type?

2. Is it possible to add new attacks?

3. Is it possible to edit the graphics used in attack animations?

4. Is it possible to add new abilities with the effects of existing abilities?

5. Is it possible to edit the screwy FRLG Pokedex system so that it reads "Kailou Dex" rather than "Kanto Dex"? For that matter, are there any Pokemon-data-editing programs that can change a Pokemon's assigned habitat?

6. Is it possible to edit the Gengar/Nidorino fight scene in the FRLG intro?

7. Those pictures of Prof. Oak and the rival in Oak's intro - is it possible to edit them? For that matter, is it possible to change the intro beyond the text and Pokemon?

8. What is the cheapest and most plausible way to go about creating Pokemon cries?

9. Where can I get Cyclone?

10. Where can I find a ROM map, or whatever document outlines the location of certain data, for FRLG?

If anyone could answer any of these questions, I would be eternally grateful.
      1-7: Yes, everything is possible. But I guess you were more interested about how to do such things, aren't you?
      8. Using a sound editor/recorder that can produce 8bit Wave files at 11KHz.
      9. Here for example.
      10. I doubt anything like that was ever made honestly...

Quote:
      Originally Posted by ckret2 View Post
      I've got some glitchy images in my pause menu:

[...]

If this is the biggest problem my hack has, I'll be perfectly happy, since this is relatively minor, and I think that any players who are searching for ROM hacks have a pretty good knowledge of what the items in the Start menu do. Still, if it's indicative of a bigger glitch just waiting to kick in, I'd rather know now.
      What about a backup? Do you have some of them?
      The menu graphics got corrupted, maybe after inserting a tileset?

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Lyzo View Post
      I've got a glitch in my game, I'm not sure what caused it, but here goes:

It's a script that involves a battle between two team Rocket grunts, after the battle everything looks glitched.

Spoiler:

The things with circles around them shouldn't be there. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? The script goes on though... but the glitched stuff stays there.
      Got backups? If not, what about posting the script? Also, is that the only way to get the glitch? Or you've got similar problems other times perhaps? Please provide more details.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Tropical Sunlight View Post
      I change a pallete in APE, then I check in UnLZ.GBA. The pallete is corrupted. How do I fix those kind of things?

I imported a 16-color pal.

This is how it looks in UnLZ.GBA:
      Well... you should be aware of the fact not all LZ77-compressed palette use 16 colors.
      Like that Pineco, for example. In this case you need to find a 16-color palette to edit and repoint the Pineco one to the one you found. Then you edit the colors as usual and you're done.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
      I'm sorry.
      I can't compile a script.
      Help me, please.
      See my post in the Tools Factory.
      Old February 7th, 2009 (11:17 AM).
      GSC Hacker

By quoting Sunnybeam, I lead the masses, hurrah!

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Sunnybeam View Post
        Is it possible to add a new element? If not, is it possible to overwrite the ??? type?
        It is. Quite easily too (at least in FireRed). The problem lies with the Physical/Special split. By default, any new types you add past the ???-type will be Special. Is this hardcoded in ASM guys? Is it possible to adjust it?

Quote:
        Is it possible to add new attacks?
        Yes. There's a table of attacks, it's just a case of repointing the table and adding more onto the end. There's a limit of like, 200 extra attacks before it'll cap out.

Quote:
        Is it possible to edit the graphics used in attack animations?
        Yes. The problem comes with new attacks. The animations, of course, are programmed via ASM. These is so they're animated (no duh). When a new attack is added, there's no default animation. What happens?

Game go poof!

Now, any pointers to images used in the animations are in the middle of some ASM. Not useful. Can anyone shed some light on this, either to how the pointer system works for attack animations, or straight-up how to set it up so newly-added attacks will use an animation (new or old)?

Quote:
        Is it possible to add new abilities with the effects of existing abilities?
        Yes, but abilities are ASM. It's a tedious process; I personally have no clue how the abilities are organised (bar the names). The only thing one can go off on are pointers near the ability name pointers, possibly leading to the ability code.

Quote:
        Where can I find a ROM map, or whatever document outlines the location of certain data, for FRLG?
        Hell yes. Someone make one of these, instead of another XSE or mapping tutorial.
        Cy-Chan's God-Awful Pixel Art
        Old February 7th, 2009 (4:34 PM).

can someone please tell me the script in fire red in xse where when the prof gives you the pokedex,
          it will be in the national pokedex mode already.

sorry,i'm still a beginner.

pls.answer,tnx..
          Old February 7th, 2009 (4:58 PM). Edited February 7th, 2009 by Robert Conley.
          GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
            Is there a way to make it so pokemon can be sold inside of pokemarts?
            Old February 7th, 2009 (6:36 PM).
            usually pronounced "secret 2"

Quote:
              Originally Posted by HackMew View Post
              What about a backup? Do you have some of them?
              The menu graphics got corrupted, maybe after inserting a tileset?
              I haven't inserted any tilesets; I've used the Block Editor in AdvanceMap to add a few tiles in the blank tile spaces in a few of the tilesets, the ones up at the top of the set that aren't used for anything else, but that's it. Is that enough to mess up the menu graphics? I've also been using the Overworld Editor to work on the female hero's overworld.

This one is my hack.

This one is the hack I part-time map for.

I got an Illumise?
              Pretty awesome.
              Glad I grabbed an egg I didn't recognize.
              Old February 7th, 2009 (10:28 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by hildetorr View Post
                Yes it is possible.
                But you can't do it in the acctual Pokemon Mart box.
                you have to make a seperat event
                clan, to play with casually.
                Send me a PM with your Highest Level and your PSN,
                and I'll get back to you.
                Old February 7th, 2009 (11:06 PM).
                Mimikyu is cute :3

Nature: Naive
                  Ok, I hate my virus scanner, it says Bewilded.exe, spread.exe, Pokecry.exe and Dexter.exe are all viruses. I know Dexter has or had a Trojan virus but have never heard of the other files being 'dirty'. Is it just a false positive?
                  Old February 8th, 2009 (3:05 AM).
                  Mewtwo Strikes Back
                  • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by ckret2 View Post
                  I haven't inserted any tilesets; I've used the Block Editor in AdvanceMap to add a few tiles in the blank tile spaces in a few of the tilesets, the ones up at the top of the set that aren't used for anything else, but that's it. Is that enough to mess up the menu graphics? I've also been using the Overworld Editor to work on the female hero's overworld.
                  Well... and your backups?

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by bian View Post
                  can someone please tell me the script in fire red in xse where when the prof gives you the pokedex,
                  it will be in the national pokedex mode already.

sorry,i'm still a beginner.

pls.answer,tnx..
                  Decompile the prof. script and see where it gives you the Pokédex. Then all you have to do is to make a new script and add the proper commands to enabled the National Dex.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by sky_queen3 View Post
                  Ok, I hate my virus scanner, it says Bewilded.exe, spread.exe, Pokecry.exe and Dexter.exe are all viruses. I know Dexter has or had a Trojan virus but have never heard of the other files being 'dirty'. Is it just a false positive?
                  Definitely. If you don't trust those programs you could always download the source code and recompile them by yourself (they're written in VB6, except for PokeCry). I'm pretty sure that your anitivirus would recognize them as malware anyway though.
                  Old February 8th, 2009 (3:12 AM).

Quote:
                    Definitely. If you don't trust those programs you could always download the source code and recompile them by yourself (they're written in VB6, except for PokeCry). I'm pretty sure that your anitivirus would recognize them as malware anyway though.
                    Is there anyway to stop them coming up as false positives? (I have Trend Micro Internet Security.)
                    Old February 8th, 2009 (3:24 AM).
                    Mewtwo Strikes Back
                    • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                    Is there anyway to stop them coming up as false positives? (I have Trend Micro Internet Security.)
                    Eventually, yes. But there isn't a standard procedure or something. If you like, we could try together.
                    Old February 8th, 2009 (3:40 AM).

Quote:
                      Eventually, yes. But there isn't a standard procedure or something. If you like, we could try together.
                      We can try tomorrow. Got TAFE in the morning. (Which is like Uni but different.)
                      Old February 8th, 2009 (8:21 AM).
                      //

Does anyone have the offset for the Pikachu for Tile Molester? I tried to find it but could not.
                        Old February 8th, 2009 (8:36 AM).
                        Mewtwo Strikes Back
                        • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                        We can try tomorrow. :) Got TAFE in the morning. (Which is like Uni but different.)
                        All right.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by mrhiyuck View Post

Does anyone have the offset for the Pikachu for Tile Molester? I tried to find it but could not.
                        You won't find it ever using Tile Molester (or any other tile editor). That Pikachu is a LZ77 compressed image. Therefore you'll need to search it using unLZ.
                        Old February 8th, 2009 (8:42 AM).
                        //

Quote:
                          You won't find it ever using Tile Molester (or any other tile editor). That Pikachu is a LZ77 compressed image. Therefore you'll need to search it using unLZ.
                          Oh, sorry. Does anyone know the number?
                          Old February 8th, 2009 (9:01 AM).
                          Banned

Its 9am and I havent slept for a while, So excuse me if I dont search.
                            Was there a way to add new pals and tilesets?
                            Im getting so irritated adding in everything pixel by pixel.
                            Just to have to redo it.

So if there is a quick way to add/increase limit of pals. Or insert uncompressed/compressed tilesets directly that would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Edit: That ROM Map would be awsome!! XD
                            Old February 8th, 2009 (2:24 PM).
                            Sea of Dreams - Redux
                            • Silver Tier

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by HentaiHentai View Post
                            Its 9am and I havent slept for a while, So excuse me if I dont search.
                            Was there a way to add new pals and tilesets?
                            Im getting so irritated adding in everything pixel by pixel.
                            Just to have to redo it.

So if there is a quick way to add/increase limit of pals. Or insert uncompressed/compressed tilesets directly that would be much appreciated.

Thank You

Edit: That ROM Map would be awsome!! XD
                            Search up ZodiacDaGreat's tileset inserter.

Mystic still in work to let you know...
                            Old February 8th, 2009 (3:39 PM).
                            when the sky is bright

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Cy-Chan View Post
                              By quoting Sunnybeam, I lead the masses, hurrah!
                              Thank you so much~~~

Quote:
                              It is. Quite easily too (at least in FireRed). The problem lies with the Physical/Special split. By default, any new types you add past the ???-type will be Special. Is this hardcoded in ASM guys? Is it possible to adjust it?
                              Ah, that works excellently. The Light-type is very definitely Special.

Quote:
                              Yes. There's a table of attacks, it's just a case of repointing the table and adding more onto the end. There's a limit of like, 200 extra attacks before it'll cap out.
                              -pumps fist- Woot.

Quote:
                              Yes. The problem comes with new attacks. The animations, of course, are programmed via ASM. These is so they're animated (no duh). When a new attack is added, there's no default animation. What happens?

Game go poof!

Now, any pointers to images used in the animations are in the middle of some ASM. Not useful. Can anyone shed some light on this, either to how the pointer system works for attack animations, or straight-up how to set it up so newly-added attacks will use an animation (new or old)?
                              Hmmm. ASM, huh...

Quote:
                              Yes, but abilities are ASM. It's a tedious process; I personally have no clue how the abilities are organised (bar the names). The only thing one can go off on are pointers near the ability name pointers, possibly leading to the ability code.
                              ...I'm going to have to learn ASM for this thing, aren't I...?

Quote:
                              Hell yes. Someone make one of these, instead of another XSE or mapping tutorial.
                              -blinks- Quite a few people share your sentiment, it seems. I didn't expect to start such a buzz.

Right, so with these questions answered (thank you again, Cy-Chan!), a couple new ones have popped up.

1) After some looking around, I've discovered that a lot of things like type strength and attack effect are determined by long chunks of deceptively complex hex. To alter this information, one must transcript the hex and add on...how does one go about 'repointing' the game so that it refers to the new type/attack table rather than the old one?

2)Not a question, but...in addition to the ROM map idea, there should also be some sort of project to figure out what each unlzGBA image is in each game, and list it. In between the tilsets and sprites and garbled pixelarts, there are a lot of staticky messes, and I'd like to know what they're for.

3) Does anyone know a good site or tutorial for learning about ASM in respect to Pokemon hacks? Also, what programs are needed to implement ASM?

4) This isn't a technical matter at all, but should I go ahead and make a thread for my hack project on Pokecommunity to start recruiting more people into the team, or wait until I have as much done as I can do myself, like more of the Pokedex? (This hack uses Fakemon.)

Again, thanks for all the help, I REALLY appreciate it.

Little sister of Bay
                              Twin of SailorShadow
                              Devoted underling of Midnight Jasper
                              Old February 8th, 2009 (3:42 PM).
                              Pop Bop's Boppin' Beats

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by thrace, yo
                                ask scripting related questions in the Script Help thread

What if the script is used to reveal the answer to a simple question?

Old February 8th, 2009 (4:01 PM). Edited February 8th, 2009 by Robert Conley.
                                GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Quote:
                                  Quote:
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by hildetorr
                                  Yes it is possible.
                                  But you can't do it in the acctual Pokemon Mart box.
                                  you have to make a seperat event
                                  So how do I go about making this other event. If it has to do with scripting iam a complete noob at that so someone would have to provide me with a script for that and tell me how to change the prices.

sprite inserting:I tried following the tutorial here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=154220 to insert sprite but the "?" pokemon still shows up.not sure if i did something wrong or what but maybe somebody could make this tutorial a little simpler.

Also if anyone is really good at spriting can they make front and backsprites for FR of these fakemon just using crudely drawn pictures(the lizard and two cocoons),id do this myself but iam horiible at spriting.?and possibly help me name the first one.(in spoiler)
                                  Spoiler:
                                  Old February 8th, 2009 (7:08 PM).
                                  Finally Flyin' Solo

Nature: Adamant
                                    Quote:
                                    All right.

Yes, but is there any way to find that offset without having to sort through all the other junk in the rom? Like, does someone actually have a list of offsets for unLZ?
                                    Old February 8th, 2009 (7:19 PM).

Through Advanced Map (or a program that is good for it), how would I create a new world map?
                                      Old February 8th, 2009 (9:04 PM).

Okay, so this is a really simple question - or at least a low-level one. I'm a total novice to all this stuff, but I'd like to be able to create a playable, editable backup on my PC for some of my games, including the GBA and DS Pokemon titles. All the information I've found, though, both here and elsewhere, is either way too complex for me to understand or only gives lists of devices without giving any discernible explanation of how (or if) they work. So I need to know one main thing:

What device(s) do I need to dump my GBA and DS games onto my PC? (Note that I still want to keep the original cartridges unaltered. Also, the cheaper, the better, as long as it still works - general performance issues like writing speed aren't important.)

I'm a total novice at all of this, so... yeah. A super-technical explanation of pros and cons is going to go way over my head at this point; I just need to know what to get and be sure that it'll all work. ;
                                        Old February 8th, 2009 (11:54 PM).
                                        TloS FTW!!!

I have a problem with giving a sprite to the 25 empty slots in emerald...

The sprite simply doesn't work for me...
                                          I still encounter a "??" sprite called Togekiss (the one i'm trying to insert).

This is what I do:

First I have my Togekiss sprite.
                                          It has 64x64 pixels and 16 colours.

Next, I go to unLZ, import the sprite, and click on "Write to Rom".
                                          I only tick the "Image" box, since that's what i'm only caring for now.
                                          I enter my empty offset in the "image offset" box in unZL (The offset is 00E5D080).
                                          Now i click on "OK" in unLZ.

Next I open my rom in PEP, i go to the first questionmark (called Togekiss).
                                          Now I enter E5D080 in the top box, called "Sprite offset".
                                          I hit the save button, open the rom, and I still encounter a Togekiss with the ?? sprite.

What am I doing wrong!?

Also, something completely else, what is the number in unLZ for the badges in emerald?
                                          There's a topic about that, but they give only the frontier symbol offsets.

Quick Reply