ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old February 9th, 2009 (12:33 AM).
GSC Hacker

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunnybeam View Post
    Ah, that works excellently. The Light-type is very definitely Special.
    It's a bit messy (the nice-refined version is very comfortably sitting on my hard drive...), but I have a patch for FireRed that adds a Sound-type, in my signature. If you want to use it as a base, go ahead.

Quote:
    ...I'm going to have to learn ASM for this thing, aren't I...?
    Don't overdo it; I'd imagine you'd have to be quite comprehensive in ASM to make/edit abilities (barring say, Pick Up).

Speaking of Pick Up, I'll look about sometime and see if I can't decipher something, at least concerning that. Can't be too hard...

Quote:
    -blinks- Quite a few people share your sentiment, it seems. I didn't expect to start such a buzz.
    ROM Maps are useful. XSE tutorial Ver.209 is not.

Quote:
    1) After some looking around, I've discovered that a lot of things like type strength and attack effect are determined by long chunks of deceptively complex hex. To alter this information, one must transcript the hex and add on...how does one go about 'repointing' the game so that it refers to the new type/attack table rather than the old one?
    Ahah, check out my signature, guide to repointing. The first section covers the ins-and-outs of GBA pointers.

Hex isn't that complex; it's just a series of numbers that tells different things. Attack effects are pre-programmed into the game, so it's just a case of changing that "00" (Normal Hit) to another number (for Quick Attack, etc...) I've also done a guide on this, again, in my signature.

Quote:
    2)Not a question, but...in addition to the ROM map idea, there should also be some sort of project to figure out what each unlzGBA image is in each game, and list it. In between the tilsets and sprites and garbled pixelarts, there are a lot of staticky messes, and I'd like to know what they're for.
    That's what a ROM Map is, mind you, since images are part of the ROM. There's a few things about that have UNLZ addresses.

Quote:
    3) Does anyone know a good site or tutorial for learning about ASM in respect to Pokemon hacks? Also, what programs are needed to implement ASM?
    http://sfc.pokemon-inside.net is the best I've found (Mastermind_X is uber awesome). You'll need a debugger (VBA-SDL-H) and a compiler (HAM, devKitARM). The normal VisualBoyAdvance can be useful too, for finding addresses and what-not.

I'd suggest getting a mastery over everything else first. If you find hex hard, then the ARM architecture will probably rape you. I'd also suggest messing with Z80-8080 first (GBC architecture). Despite the harder-to-use pointer system, the routines themselves are far less confusing, due to limited commands.

Quote:
    4) This isn't a technical matter at all, but should I go ahead and make a thread for my hack project on Pokecommunity to start recruiting more people into the team, or wait until I have as much done as I can do myself, like more of the Pokedex? (This hack uses Fakemon.)
    My suggestion is to not make a team. People don't learn anything if they rely on other people to do it for them. After making 20-or-so maps or scripts, numerous hex edits and several hundred sprites, I promise you'll go "huh... guess I could do it after all".

I'd actually abstain from making a thread. I've got several things going, but because of that "NEED RELEASE NAO", I'm able to research things more, find limitations, and learn how to do more things.

If you ever need help, don't hesitate to ask. Hells, I like your moxy, go ahead and friend me, eh.

Quote:
    Again, thanks for all the help, I REALLY appreciate it.
    No problem.
    Cy-Chan's God-Awful Pixel Art

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 9th, 2009 (5:51 AM).
    The Faltine

Quote:
      Originally Posted by HackMew View Post
      Well... you should be aware of the fact not all LZ77-compressed palette use 16 colors.
      Like that Pineco, for example. In this case you need to find a 16-color palette to edit and repoint the Pineco one to the one you found. Then you edit the colors as usual and you're done.
      Any suggestions?
      Where could I find a 16-color pallete? Free space?
      Old February 9th, 2009 (5:56 AM).
      Finally Flyin' Solo

Nature: Adamant
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Tropical Sunlight View Post
        Any suggestions?
        Where could I find a 16-color palete? Free space?
        Well, you could simply go to the Pineco thats already there, and use its palette offset, or you could create your own pallette by editing the colors in APE
        OR when you input the new Pineco, export both the palette AND image to empty offsets (use FSF), and voila, you are done!
        Old February 9th, 2009 (7:38 AM).

Does anybody know how to edit the intro clip of Fire red, any program or something.
          Thanks...
          Old February 9th, 2009 (8:39 AM).
          Italian Asm Hacker

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Royvalkema View Post
            Does anybody know how to edit the intro clip of Fire red, any program or something.
            Thanks...
            I don't know if there are some programs, but that intro is animated via ASM...

Sorry for my bad English... I'm Italian
            Anybody that is a GBA ASM hacker is cool!
            I'm a GBA ASM hacker --> I'm cool :D

Made Day-Night Routine! You can find the thread HERE
            Old February 9th, 2009 (10:39 AM). Edited February 9th, 2009 by Lyzo.
            On vacation

Nature: Bold
              FIXED

Spoiler:
              I've got a mapping glitch... :S
              I have two maps that connect to each other... but one of them is smaller than the other, so I need connection offsets to make them connect correctly. I did that, and it works. But now everytime I walk from the first map(which is bigger) to the second map and back it's glitched up.

Pics:
              Spoiler:

So first I walk from the first map to the second one.

Then I'm there and everythings still fine.

I walk back and then some things are double!

So it's probably a connection problem, although I wouldn't know what...

My connection settings for the first map are:
              Direction: Up
              Offset: 38
              Map Bank:3
              Map no:20
              Zero Out:$0000

My connection settings for the second map are:
              Direction: Down
              Offset:-41
              Map Bank:3
              Map no:19
              Zero Out:$0000

If someone could help me that would be great! Thanks in advance!

Thank you The Blueprint !!!
              Old February 9th, 2009 (1:07 PM).
              Pokemon Bright Gold

Can someone link me a guide for scripting a triggered event like when you get stopped leaving the starter town before taking a pokemon in gold version.
                Old February 9th, 2009 (1:40 PM).
                GSC Hacker

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by BigSteve View Post
                  Can someone link me a guide for scripting a triggered event like when you get stopped leaving the starter town before taking a pokemon in gold version.
                  Bah, you need no guide! Download PKSV, and just check out New Bark's trigger script.

Ho-hum, I don't suppose anyone wants to make an auto-event repointer for Gold/Silver? That would be nice.
                  Cy-Chan's God-Awful Pixel Art
                  Old February 9th, 2009 (6:45 PM).
                  usually pronounced "secret 2"

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by HackMew View Post
                    Well... and your backups?
                    The earliest backup I've got has one map (which includes two modified tiles), half an edited female overworld sprite, and a changed title screen cry with the TS Cry Changer. Any earlier than that and I'm working with the FireRed rom I started with.

This one is my hack.

This one is the hack I part-time map for.

I got an Illumise?
                    Pretty awesome.
                    Glad I grabbed an egg I didn't recognize.
                    Old February 9th, 2009 (7:24 PM).
                    GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
                      Quote:
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by hildetorr
                      Is there a way to make it so pokemon can be sold inside of pokemarts?
                      Yes it is possible.
                      But you can't do it in the acctual Pokemon Mart box.
                      you have to make a seperate event
                      So how do I go about making this other event. If it has to do with scripting iam a complete noob at that so someone would have to provide me with a script for that and tell me how to change the prices.

sprite inserting:I tried following the tutorial here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=154220 to insert sprite but the "?" pokemon still shows up.not sure if i did something wrong or what but maybe somebody could make this tutorial a little simpler or possibly provide me with images of how everything is supposed to look inside of UNLZ.gba and PEP to make the sprites appear correctly in the game.

Also
                      if anyone is really good at spriting can they make front and backsprites for FR of these fakemon just using crudely drawn pictures(the lizard and two cocoons),id do this myself but iam horiible at spriting.?and possibly help me name the first one.(in spoiler)
                      Spoiler:

So can anyone help me with these questions?
                      Old February 9th, 2009 (7:41 PM). Edited February 10th, 2009 by nemesish.
                      Azure Trainer

2 questions:
                        -Can I add new trainers and items by repointing?

-Help with indexing. Every time i decrease the colors to 16, I always get BLACK as the first color (the transparent one) and NEVER other color. Why? Can anybody help me?
                        Finally learned how to.

Pokemon Raptor - Pokemon Island - Pokemon Rejuvenation - Pokemon Zeta/Omicron/Insurgence

Hacks I support:
                        Eccentric Emerald - Emerald Omega - Fire Red 251+ - Pokemon Liquid Crystal
                        Old February 9th, 2009 (7:52 PM).
                        usually pronounced "secret 2"

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by hildetorr View Post
                          So how do I go about making this other event. If it has to do with scripting iam a complete noob at that so someone would have to provide me with a script for that and tell me how to change the prices.

sprite inserting:I tried following the tutorial here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=154220 to insert sprite but the "?" pokemon still shows up.not sure if i did something wrong or what but maybe somebody could make this tutorial a little simpler or possibly provide me with images of how everything is supposed to look inside of UNLZ.gba and PEP to make the sprites appear correctly in the game.

Also
                          if anyone is really good at spriting can they make front and backsprites for FR of these fakemon just using crudely drawn pictures(the lizard and two cocoons),id do this myself but iam horiible at spriting.?and possibly help me name the first one.(in spoiler)
                          Spoiler:

So can anyone help me with these questions?
                          Now, why does someone HAVE to provide you with a script? Nobody is obligated to make a script for you. You don't get into rom hacking if you want everyone to do the work for you; if you're starting your own project, it's going to be YOUR project, meaning you'll be doing most of the work. If you need to script, I recommend you use diegoawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial. I'm a noob at this too, and at least for me this is the best scripting tutorial. If it doesn't work for you, look around the Documents and Tutorials forum, there are plenty of other tutorials.

As for spriting, I'd suggest going to the Pixel Art forum and see if someone there would sprite those. However, they don't owe you anything either, so don't expect everyone all at once to jump up and help you.

This one is my hack.

This one is the hack I part-time map for.

I got an Illumise?
                          Pretty awesome.
                          Glad I grabbed an egg I didn't recognize.
                          Old February 10th, 2009 (5:49 AM).
                          TloS FTW!!!

I have a problem with giving a sprite to the 25 empty slots in emerald...

The sprite simply doesn't work for me...
                            I still encounter a "??" sprite called Togekiss (the one i'm trying to insert).

This is what I do:

First I have my Togekiss sprite.
                            It has 64x64 pixels and 16 colours.

Next, I go to unLZ, import the sprite, and click on "Write to Rom".
                            I only tick the "Image" box, since that's what i'm only caring for now.
                            I enter my empty offset in the "image offset" box in unZL (The offset is 00E5D080).
                            Now i click on "OK" in unLZ.

Next I open my rom in PEP, i go to the first questionmark (called Togekiss).
                            Now I enter E5D080 in the top box, called "Sprite offset".
                            I hit the save button, open the rom, and I still encounter a Togekiss with the ?? sprite.

What am I doing wrong!?

Also, something completely else, what is the number in unLZ for the badges in emerald?
                            There's a topic about that, but they give only the frontier symbol offsets.

And last, how can I change the Battle intro's of Trainers?
                            I want to change the Big team aqua sign that shows when battling a grunt, into a Team rocket logo.
                            Is there a way to do that?
                            Old February 10th, 2009 (6:20 AM).
                            Common

Nature: Serious
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Jerros View Post
                              I have a problem with giving a sprite to the 25 empty slots in emerald...

The sprite simply doesn't work for me...
                              I still encounter a "??" sprite called Togekiss (the one i'm trying to insert).

This is what I do:

First I have my Togekiss sprite.
                              It has 64x64 pixels and 16 colours.

Next, I go to unLZ, import the sprite, and click on "Write to Rom".
                              I only tick the "Image" box, since that's what i'm only caring for now.
                              I enter my empty offset in the "image offset" box in unZL (The offset is 00E5D080).
                              Now i click on "OK" in unLZ.

Next I open my rom in PEP, i go to the first questionmark (called Togekiss).
                              Now I enter E5D080 in the top box, called "Sprite offset".
                              I hit the save button, open the rom, and I still encounter a Togekiss with the ?? sprite.

What am I doing wrong!?
                              What I'm afriad you do not understand is that with Emerald, there are two sprites for each Pokemon: a 64x128 size sprite which has the two frames for battle animation, and the usual 64x64 sprite shown in the Pokedex/Pokepic box. I'm pretty sure that the only thing you are editing is the Pokedex pic, which doesn't matter because ?? does not have a Pokedex entry.

That is what you're doing wrong.

Berries Grow, Birds Fly, Sun Shines, and Brotha...I Splash People.
                              Old February 10th, 2009 (1:04 PM).
                              GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
                                sprite inserting:I tried following the tutorial here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=154220 to insert sprite but the "?" pokemon still shows up.not sure if i did something wrong or what but maybe somebody could make this tutorial a little simpler or possibly provide me with images of how everything is supposed to look inside of UNLZ.gba and PEP to make the sprites appear correctly in the game.I am using a Firered rom if that helps.
                                Old February 10th, 2009 (8:12 PM).
                                C(++) Developer.
                                • Silver Tier

Nature: Timid
                                I can't seem to figure out the search function to well so sorry if it's been asked before. How the crud do you use pokecry to insert pokecries? I can export just fine(as far as i know, i've managed to accidentally do it many times by pushing "Dump")
                                i can't figure it out. I really don't know how to use it and there doesn't appear to be a readme.

★ full metal.

I like to push it,
                                and push it,
                                until my luck is over.
                                Old February 13th, 2009 (5:55 PM).
                                Pokemon Bright Gold

Can someone tell me why I get this error in my textbox? the text is meant to say "This Charmander is yours." with 'is yours' being on the second line

Old February 13th, 2009 (6:19 PM).

Crystal Question
                                    Is it possible to make trainers [especially Gym Leaders] being able to battle over and over again?
                                    Old February 13th, 2009 (6:26 PM).

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by BigSteve View Post
                                      Can someone tell me why I get this error in my textbox? the text is meant to say "This Charmander is yours." with 'is yours' being on the second line

http://i44.tinypic.com/w05r3k.png
                                      What values of text are you inserting and how are you doing so? PKSV? Text editing tool? Hex editor with table?
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by EkshtrimSama View Post
                                      Crystal Question
                                      Is it possible to make trainers [especially Gym Leaders] being able to battle over and over again?
                                      Yes, with the use of scripting.

If you want me, please contact me by email. [email protected]

If you want to hack Pokémon RBY or GSC, read, read, and read some more. This has tons of valuable information.

Pokémon Red disassembly project

Rules that should be rethought: 25charlimit, bumping.
                                      Bad posts are bad posts, regardless of how many words are in them or how old the thread is.
                                      Good posts are good posts, regardless of how old the thread is—and brevity is underrated.
                                      Old February 14th, 2009 (4:57 AM).
                                      Rom Hacker.

Nature: Brave
                                        In my hack when i receive my first pokemon using this script, i get the pokemon and everything goes fine except when i open the menu the Pokemon option isnt there, even tho i have a pokemon. Could someone please take a look and maybe fix it up for me?

Spoiler:
                                        #org $start
                                        checkflag 0x200
                                        if b_true goto $done
                                        message $1
                                        boxset 5
                                        compare LASTRESULT 0x1
                                        if b_true goto $take
                                        message $2
                                        boxset 6
                                        release
                                        end

#org $take
                                        givepokemon 133 5 0
                                        fanfare 0x13E
                                        message $3
                                        boxset 4
                                        waitfanfare
                                        #raw 0x68
                                        setflag 0x200
                                        message $4
                                        boxset 5
                                        compare LASTRESULT 0x1
                                        if b_true gosub $name
                                        message $5
                                        boxset 6
                                        release
                                        end

#org $name
                                        call 0x1A74EB
                                        return

#org $done
                                        message $6
                                        boxset 6
                                        release
                                        end

#org $1
                                        $1 1 = \c\h01\h05GALLIUM: WOW!\nYou shouldn't sneak up on people.\pThats okay...\nSo what can I do for you? \pYou want a POKéMON?\nWell.. \pSorry, what was your name?\nOkay \v\h01... \pAt the moment I only have one left.\nDo you want it?

#org $2
                                        $2 1 = \c\h01\h05GALLIUM: Very well then...

#org $3
                                        $3 1 = \c\h01\h02You received a EEVEE!

#org $4
                                        $4 1 =\c\h01\h02Would you like to rename EEVEE?

#org $5
                                        $5 1 = \c\h01\h05GALLIUM: That is EEVEE.\nThe EVOLUTION POKéMON.

#org $6
                                        $6 1 = \c\h01\h05GALLIUM: Now head out on your\nadventure young one. \pGood luck!.

When the world is in its final moments..
                                        Where will you be?
                                        Old February 14th, 2009 (5:29 AM).
                                        Im comin' home...
                                        • Silver Tier

Nature: Gentle
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by kebbles View Post
                                        In my hack when i receive my first pokemon using this script, i get the pokemon and everything goes fine except when i open the menu the Pokemon option isnt there, even tho i have a pokemon. Could someone please take a look and maybe fix it up for me?

Spoiler:
                                        #org $start
                                        checkflag 0x200
                                        if b_true goto $done
                                        message $1
                                        boxset 5
                                        compare LASTRESULT 0x1
                                        if b_true goto $take
                                        message $2
                                        boxset 6
                                        release
                                        end

#org $take
                                        givepokemon 133 5 0
                                        setflag 0x828
                                        fanfare 0x13E
                                        message $3
                                        boxset 4
                                        waitfanfare
                                        #raw 0x68
                                        setflag 0x200
                                        message $4
                                        boxset 5
                                        compare LASTRESULT 0x1
                                        if b_true gosub $name
                                        message $5
                                        boxset 6
                                        release
                                        end

#org $name
                                        call 0x1A74EB
                                        return

#org $done
                                        message $6
                                        boxset 6
                                        release
                                        end

#org $1
                                        $1 1 = \c\h01\h05GALLIUM: WOW!\nYou shouldn't sneak up on people.\pThats okay...\nSo what can I do for you? \pYou want a POKéMON?\nWell.. \pSorry, what was your name?\nOkay \v\h01... \pAt the moment I only have one left.\nDo you want it?

#org $2
                                        $2 1 = \c\h01\h05GALLIUM: Very well then...

#org $3
                                        $3 1 = \c\h01\h02You received a EEVEE!

#org $4
                                        $4 1 =\c\h01\h02Would you like to rename EEVEE?

#org $5
                                        $5 1 = \c\h01\h05GALLIUM: That is EEVEE.\nThe EVOLUTION POKéMON.

#org $6
                                        $6 1 = \c\h01\h05GALLIUM: Now head out on your\nadventure young one. \pGood luck!.
                                        This SHOULD be in the script help thread, but I'll help you out...
                                        A few things, you should not use flag 0x200, the flags you should use start from 0x1000 and end at 0x3FFF
                                        XSE is better, you should at least try it.
                                        Finally, I edited your script open the spoiler and look at the changes I made in bold
                                        That should work, if you are using Fire Red or Leaf Green, if not, change the 0x828 to 0x800 for Ruby Version or Sapphire Version, and if you are using Emerald Version, you need to use 0x860 instead! Easy Peasy!
                                        Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
                                        Greetings Warden
                                        of Superjail Penitentiary
                                        Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
                                        ╠══User Info══╣
                                        Username:
                                        0m3GA ARS3NAL
                                        Sex: Male ♂
                                        Race: Caucasian
                                        Quote:
                                        "What is this
                                        I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
                                        ╠══End of File══╣
                                        Awaiting user input...

>
                                        Old February 14th, 2009 (6:00 AM).
                                        TloS FTW!!!

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by WaterSplash View Post
                                          What I'm afriad you do not understand is that with Emerald, there are two sprites for each Pokemon: a 64x128 size sprite which has the two frames for battle animation, and the usual 64x64 sprite shown in the Pokedex/Pokepic box. I'm pretty sure that the only thing you are editing is the Pokedex pic, which doesn't matter because ?? does not have a Pokedex entry.

That is what you're doing wrong.

Thanks, I think I understand.

But what do I have to do in order to encounter a nice Togekiss or something?
                                          Just change my sprite to a 64x128 one?
                                          Do you mean "doubbeling" the sprite (like "8" instead of "o" (with the "o" being the pokémon's pic)), or just using a bigger sprite?
                                          And can I still do this in PEP? Or do I have to use another way?

Thank you anyway!
                                          Old February 14th, 2009 (6:18 AM).

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by IIMarckus View Post
                                            What values of text are you inserting and how are you doing so? PKSV? Text editing tool? Hex editor with table?Yes, with the use of scripting.
                                            Can I have some more info on that please?
                                            Old February 14th, 2009 (6:27 AM).
                                            0m3GA ARS3NAL 0m3GA ARS3NAL is offline
                                            Im comin' home...
                                            • Silver Tier

Nature: Gentle
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by nemesish View Post
                                            2 questions:
                                            -Can I add new trainers and items by repointing?

-Help with indexing. Every time i decrease the colors to 16, I always get BLACK as the first color (the transparent one) and NEVER other color. Why? Can anybody help me?
                                            Finally learned how to.
                                            Well yes, of course you can, Hackmew's A-Trainer will repoint the trainer data for you if you want to add new trainers, or expand the current ones. And with a bit of repointing magic, you can also make tonns of new items... but you know, there are a bunch of unused items in a ROM, namely Fire Red & Leaf Green... and editing the data is not so hard either, you just need to know the item layout... you can even make new items using ASM, but I am still learning all that junk from HackMew so yeah...
                                            tl;dr? Yes you can.
                                            Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
                                            Greetings Warden
                                            of Superjail Penitentiary
                                            Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
                                            ╠══User Info══╣
                                            Username:
                                            0m3GA ARS3NAL
                                            Sex: Male ♂
                                            Race: Caucasian
                                            Quote:
                                            "What is this
                                            I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
                                            ╠══End of File══╣
                                            Awaiting user input...

>
                                            Old February 14th, 2009 (2:06 PM).

I'm trying to insert a new palette but the rom is being weird. When it's loaded into the game, the colors change to something completely different. Here's a picture.

Spoiler:
                                              Closed Thread

Quick Reply