ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old June 16th, 2009 (9:39 AM).
lol --

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goodies View Post
    You just make a new trainer with the sprite, music and Pokémon etc. And then change the script to have that trainer ID. That should work.
    Thanks! It's working now.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 16th, 2009 (12:53 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by 0m3GA ARS3NAL View Post
      For what reason are you translating the Japanese one when the game exists in so many languages!
      Silly Silly person!
      I explained it before and that's not an answer!

Translating because the fire red version I'll be messing with will barely be fire red anymore by the time the japanese are done with it (new game mechanics and new storyline).

Someone mentionned something about transfering the patches or data or whatever but since he didn't really explain I can't really even begin to imagine what he meant.
      Old June 16th, 2009 (1:10 PM).
      More cowbell~
      • Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by SynjoDeonecros View Post
      I'm using various .png files I got online, mostly ones created for Hoenn and GBA-style Kanto and Johto maps; a lot of them came from this forum. As for what I'm trying to do with it, I'm just trying to create maps for the new region I created for a fanfic project I'm working on. All of the tile map editors I've tried using either have a tile limit so low, it's impossible for me to do anything with them, or they require the tilemaps to be of a ridiculous extension, like .xtv or something else I can't reproduce. And most of them end up crashing on me for no reason while I'm using them; I was trying to make a worldmap on Tile Mapper, for example, and it froze up when I tried saving my progress for a second time, forcing me to shut it down and lose everything, and for some reason, it refuses to load the map file I DID manage to save.

I'm not doing anything drastic with them, I'm just using them in the way they were intended. I dunno why they're crashing on me, except maybe that they hate being used on Vista. I'd like to try and solve the problem I'm having with File Mapper, since I really like how you can grid the tilesets yourself and resize them any way you wish, meaning I don't have to worry about missized tilemaps, but any workable tilemapper would be fine.

Edit: Looking back at Tile Mapper, it looks like I can export my maps as .png files, like I wanted, so all I really need is someone with experience with the program that can help me fix its tendency to crash and not upload any of the map files it creates.
      Well there is an alternative. Make the tilemap with a hex editor
      Old June 16th, 2009 (6:37 PM).
      Newb

Nature: Hasty
        Okay, well still wrestling with code and didn't think this was serious enough or relative too much to the script help.

Anyways, for some reason as I put more and more code into my stuff things get buggy. But not to the point where I can't play, just to the point where anyone would look and be like, "Man a newb made this crap".

The main problem currently is:
        Start Menu in Pokemon (FR) has this weird static bar going across the DESCRIPTION text (blue) bar. Also, when I use some commands like GIVE, strange ASCII text scrolls over it. It doesn't hurt the game's integrity or action, just looks dumb.

Any solutions or tips?

Epic-Nerd-Fail
        Spoiler:
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Number Prince View Post
        And Dark Prince, remember to ignore this guy. He's no good, doesn't have an avatar.
        Spoiler:
        Related Note, I understand, we're all nerds, honestly. But this kid, took to failure.
        Spoiler:
        This also means I cannot have an avatar in the future just so I can stick to my guns. Oh lordy internet! Why must you be so harsh?!
        Old June 16th, 2009 (6:40 PM).

Okay so I'm having the hardest time with P.E.T. Whenever I try to change trainer pics or Pokemon, I get a Run-time error telling me that I'm missing a directory path to a bitmap. Is there a bitmap directory I can download somewhere, or what can I do to alleviate this problem?
          Old June 16th, 2009 (8:24 PM).
          Accept no Imitations!

Nature: Bold
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Reign2010 View Post
            Okay so I'm having the hardest time with P.E.T. Whenever I try to change trainer pics or Pokemon, I get a Run-time error telling me that I'm missing a directory path to a bitmap. Is there a bitmap directory I can download somewhere, or what can I do to alleviate this problem?
            I think you have to download rsball and export all the images. Then you put them in the same folder. Thats probably why it says that.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by [BlackEyedHacker] View Post
            Okay, well still wrestling with code and didn't think this was serious enough or relative too much to the script help.

Anyways, for some reason as I put more and more code into my stuff things get buggy. But not to the point where I can't play, just to the point where anyone would look and be like, "Man a newb made this crap".

The main problem currently is:
            Start Menu in Pokemon (FR) has this weird static bar going across the DESCRIPTION text (blue) bar. Also, when I use some commands like GIVE, strange ASCII text scrolls over it. It doesn't hurt the game's integrity or action, just looks dumb.

Any solutions or tips?
            Don't take this as an official answer but I think maybe you went over freespace? idk like I said dont use this as your final answer.

Old June 16th, 2009 (8:36 PM).
            Newb

Can you elaborate on freespace? I am guessing you mean, went over the size alotted by my rom?
              This sounds like it would be some what correct. I know something is overlapping and causing Hex's to clash and bytes to go crazy which causes these random glitches..

Epic-Nerd-Fail
              Spoiler:
              Quote:
              And Dark Prince, remember to ignore this guy. He's no good, doesn't have an avatar.
              Spoiler:
              Related Note, I understand, we're all nerds, honestly. But this kid, took to failure.
              Spoiler:
              This also means I cannot have an avatar in the future just so I can stick to my guns. Oh lordy internet! Why must you be so harsh?!
              Old June 16th, 2009 (8:49 PM).

Omg. Thank you so much! You've been such a great help!
                Old June 16th, 2009 (9:24 PM).
                Accept no Imitations!

Nature: Bold
                  Quote:
                  Can you elaborate on freespace? I am guessing you mean, went over the size alotted by my rom?
                  This sounds like it would be some what correct. I know something is overlapping and causing Hex's to clash and bytes to go crazy which causes these random glitches..
                  well In fire red I think free space is 00. (correct me if I'm wrong.
                  For ruby I'm 100% sure its FF.
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Reign2010 View Post
                  Omg. Thank you so much! You've been such a great help!
                  No problem. I assume that worked?

Old June 16th, 2009 (9:35 PM).
                  Im comin' home...
                  • Silver Tier

Nature: Gentle
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Gamer2020 View Post
                  well In fire red I think free space is 00. (correct me if I'm wrong.
                  For ruby I'm 100% sure its FF.

No problem. I assume that worked?
                  FF is Fire Red

I would know, since I am a Fire Red Hacker...

Don't ever overwrite 00 in Fire Red... BAD move, lol.
                  Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
                  Greetings Warden
                  of Superjail Penitentiary
                  Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
                  ╠══User Info══╣
                  Username:
                  0m3GA ARS3NAL
                  Sex: Male ♂
                  Race: Caucasian
                  Quote:
                  "What is this
                  I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
                  ╠══End of File══╣
                  Awaiting user input...

>
                  Old June 16th, 2009 (9:38 PM).
                  Newb

Quote:
                    FF is Fire Red

I would know, since I am a Fire Red Hacker...

Don't ever overwrite 00 in Fire Red... BAD move, lol.
                    Well it's not freespace then, because I leave it on default of FF...

Man, this is bothering me.

XSE sometimes also compiles stuff wierdly, adding and removing things. And usually adding things to make things crash in a flashy way.

Epic-Nerd-Fail
                    Spoiler:
                    Quote:
                    Spoiler:
                    Spoiler:
                    Old June 16th, 2009 (10:38 PM).
                    Hacker in Training

Nature: Relaxed
                      Alright, so I took screen shots of my problem to help, but I can't post the link yet. Thus I'll try my best to explain.

The Idea:
                      I'm working on re-doing PKMN Ruby while learning what I still need to learn about hacking. Using Advance Map I created a map that's an extension of the Petalburg Woods. Transportation between the two maps is supposed to be done via warps.

The Problem:
                      I set the map up, I've fixed warp events on both maps, and have checked that the corresponding warp#/map bank/map numbers are all correct and set the movement permissions as needed. However, when I go to test in game my character just moves over the area where the warp is set as if it were a normal area.

I've tried everything I know of. Not sure what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                      Old June 16th, 2009 (10:48 PM). Edited June 16th, 2009 by [BlackEyedHacker].
                      Newb

Strange I am having the same problems. It's strange, when I use the GOTO button in AM, it takes me where I had defined. But in game, it does nothing. I am on the verge of pulling the vista card. [Vista Card=The ultimate blame card for anything, blame vista x32/x64.].

Epic-Nerd-Fail
                        Spoiler:
                        Quote:
                        Spoiler:
                        Spoiler:
                        Old June 17th, 2009 (12:08 AM).
                        Im comin' home...
                        • Silver Tier

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Exon View Post
                        Alright, so I took screen shots of my problem to help, but I can't post the link yet. Thus I'll try my best to explain.

The Idea:
                        I'm working on re-doing PKMN Ruby while learning what I still need to learn about hacking. Using Advance Map I created a map that's an extension of the Petalburg Woods. Transportation between the two maps is supposed to be done via warps.

The Problem:
                        I set the map up, I've fixed warp events on both maps, and have checked that the corresponding warp#/map bank/map numbers are all correct and set the movement permissions as needed. However, when I go to test in game my character just moves over the area where the warp is set as if it were a normal area.

I've tried everything I know of. Not sure what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                        It depends on the tile you set the warp... Certain tiles have certain warp functionality, for instance, the pokemon center stairs... you can place a regular warp on them, and the stairs automatically move.

What kind of warp is it?
                        (In front of door, leaving house, leaving cave, pokemon center stairs, regular stairs... you know...)
                        Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
                        Greetings Warden
                        Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
                        ╠══User Info══╣
                        Username:
                        0m3GA ARS3NAL
                        Quote:
                        "What is this
                        I don't even..."

M/O: Often acts out to get attention, but recently has changed that. Has been studying up on hacking information and hopes to participate in more advanced hacking discussion.
                        ╠══End of File══╣
                        Awaiting user input...

>
                        Old June 17th, 2009 (12:34 AM).
                        Newb

Quote:
                          It depends on the tile you set the warp... Certain tiles have certain warp functionality, for instance, the pokemon center stairs... you can place a regular warp on them, and the stairs automatically move.

What kind of warp is it?
                          (In front of door, leaving house, leaving cave, pokemon center stairs, regular stairs... you know...)
                          I think he is doing it on an open tile, that it's supposed to transport him from one map to another. Like is it possible to do it from any tile or does the tile have to have certain properties?

Epic-Nerd-Fail
                          Spoiler:
                          Quote:
                          Spoiler:
                          Spoiler:
                          Old June 17th, 2009 (2:08 AM).
                          Im comin' home...
                          • Silver Tier

Quote:
                          I think he is doing it on an open tile, that it's supposed to transport him from one map to another. Like is it possible to do it from any tile or does the tile have to have certain properties?
                          The tile has to have certain properties.
                          So your best bet would be make a replica of the tile, and add the specifications needed to it.

(If you needed an open tile to war, not surrounded by anything, you would go into the Block Editor in A-Map, and make a replica of the tile you wanna warp on. Then you set all 4 boxes to say...

61 | 00
                          00 | 00

(That is if the warp's top layer is supposed to cover the player, if your tile has 2 layers, and you want the player to cover both of them, you would use;

61 | 00
                          00 | 02
                          Simple enough?)

So yeah, just do that and viola, you got a working warp tile! (Remember to use that tile for the warp, and the regular version for the rest of the area.)

It isn't hard making specific warps either, most of the options to choose from are commented out.
                          Jailbot OS Ver 1.1.2
                          Greetings Warden
                          Awaiting user input...

>Display User_Info
                          ╠══User Info══╣
                          Username:
                          0m3GA ARS3NAL
                          Quote:
                          "What is this
                          I don't even..."

╠══End of File══╣
                          Awaiting user input...

>
                          Old June 17th, 2009 (6:19 AM).
                          Mewtwo Strikes Back
                          • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                          XSE sometimes also compiles stuff wierdly, adding and removing things. And usually adding things to make things crash in a flashy way.
                          XSE always compile everything right. It's just your fault. You can't decompile a script, add some commands and then happily recompile. "But..." No, you can't. Direct recompile is only applicable when you just edit/remove stuff (e.g. you change some parameters). In any other case you need to repoint the script somewhere else using dynamic labels.
                          Old June 17th, 2009 (6:37 AM).

how do you change grass animations in pokemon emerald (or ruby)?

favorite pokemon:
                            zangoose
                            charizard
                            seviper

my favorite hack is pokemon ruby destiny reign of legends.

the sprite below is credited all to pokehacklucario.(which is me)its name is charphlosion.
                            Old June 17th, 2009 (7:08 AM).
                            More cowbell~
                            • Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by pokehacklucario View Post
                            how do you change grass animations in pokemon emerald (or ruby)?
                            Use a Tile Viewer e.g. Tile Molester or Tile Layer Pro
                            Old June 17th, 2009 (11:01 AM).
                            guahh my dog is so cute
                            • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
                            For my hack, I'm replacing many of the usual pokemon elements with other stuff.

For instance the thing I need.

I need to findout how to change how the pokeball looks when you throw it to capture and send out your pokemon. Anybody know how to do it?

This is really needed for my hack, becuase without, things realy don't click.
                            Old June 17th, 2009 (11:39 AM).
                            Beginning ROM Hacker

Could somebody please help me out on this? My original post is buried 5 pages back and I have no solution yet. I can't go on with my hack without an answer.
                              Spoiler:
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by RaycrowX View Post
                              I've been trying to insert some maps into my ROM (FireRed) to replace the Safari Zone, but have been having no luck. It always seems to overwrite some of my maps with the map that I just inserted, and I can't seem to be able to fix it. Originally I thought it was the map footer, because I was getting the "Invalid pointer to map footer." on the map after the one I just inserted. But I fixed it using this tutorial. So now a couple maps after the one I just inserted are blank, but I don't care about that, since I was going to replace them anyways. My problem is that when I enter the map before the one I just inserted it warps me to a spot on the one I just inserted. It's something like this:

Obviously that's not where it's supposed to warp me to. It's not even the right map. I think it's overwriting stuff, but I don't know how to fix it. It looks fine in A-map. This is really important to know before doing other stuff because right now it seems I can't insert any maps. Can anybody help me?
                              Quote:
                              Thanks, ~Watermelon, but I re-checked the warps and all the warps are correct. That's not even the problem because it is warping me to the wrong map. The weird thing is that all the events are still there. When I walk into a map that is supposed to be a small cave with a couple of sprites in it, it warps me to another one of my maps, but still includes the sprites. They are at the right coordinates but on another map. And I am warped to what I think are the right coordinates on that other map. I've included another screenshot so you can see what I mean.

Now obviously they are not supposed to be there. Correct events, wrong map. That's why I think it's overwriting something. Maybe like the map header or footer or something, because it looks fine in AdvanceMap.
                              Old June 17th, 2009 (12:18 PM).
                              Oh god the bees
                              • Silver Tier

Nature: Naive
                              Quote:
                              Could somebody please help me out on this? My original post is buried 5 pages back and I have no solution yet. I can't go on with my hack without an answer.
                              On the glitched Safari Zone map, go into the Header menu, press Ctrl+H to go into advance header mode, then find free space in your rom, depending on how big it is (1000 bytes to be safe). Then take this offset, go down to the Map offset box, and paste in there. Then click, Save changes and reload map. Then test it out!

My other resources:
                              My Website
                              diegoisawesome's MEGA-HUGE XSE Scripting Tutorial
                              diegoisawesome's Miscellaneous Finds
                              The Ruins of Alph Puzzles
                              Diego's Miscellaneous Patches
                              GBA Intro Manager
                              The Secret Sauce: Triple-Layer Tiles
                              Old June 17th, 2009 (7:27 PM).
                              Hacker in Training

Nature: Relaxed
                                Quote:
                                The tile has to have certain properties.
                                So your best bet would be make a replica of the tile, and add the specifications needed to it.

(If you needed an open tile to war, not surrounded by anything, you would go into the Block Editor in A-Map, and make a replica of the tile you wanna warp on. Then you set all 4 boxes to say...

61 | 00
                                00 | 00

(That is if the warp's top layer is supposed to cover the player, if your tile has 2 layers, and you want the player to cover both of them, you would use;

61 | 00
                                00 | 02
                                Simple enough?)

So yeah, just do that and viola, you got a working warp tile! (Remember to use that tile for the warp, and the regular version for the rest of the area.)

It isn't hard making specific warps either, most of the options to choose from are commented out.
                                Thanks a lot! Thinks are working almost 100% correctly. There's still some minor stuff to do here and there but those things I'll figure out on my own.

-Yay-

Anyways, I have 2 more questions and I'll stop bothering you all for a while. (hopefully)
                                Q1- What tile am I supposed to use as the border for the insides of buildings. I tried using block editor and turning a tile completely black to match the other "borders" that are on the in-game maps i.e. Pokemon Centers, Day Care, every other building in the game nearly....but it doesn't work. I'm not completely sure on how to make this look right.

The truly important Q2- Alright, so I've added a second map to the game. However, whenever I try to go to the map via the warp that's set up, the ROM crashes. I'm thinking that I need to find free space on the ROM like diegoisawesome told RaycrowX but I'm not entirely sure. Is this the case? And if so, how would I find the free space?
                                I was also thinking that I might need to expand the ROM itself to add space and everything would be fine, but again, I'm not sure on this and don't quite know how to do that either if needed...

Thanks once again.
                                -Exon-

(Maybe I should just stick to Mapping/Spriting lol)
                                Old June 17th, 2009 (8:51 PM). Edited June 18th, 2009 by Kalsard.
                                Looking for time travellers.

Nature: Calm
                                  um -post above-
                                  Try reinserting the map in, that happens to me sometimes.
                                  Q: If I wanted to edit a set healing place, how would I start, like set healing place 1 is your mum, how would you change that, position, map bank and script of talking?

Also does anyone know of the offsets for the intro script, or how to edit the rival scene (I dont want to name a rival, kind of like Ruby), does advance text work?
                                  Thanks

"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion."

Old June 17th, 2009 (11:41 PM).
                                  Rom Hacker

i have a question. how do you add new overworlds to pokemon emerald
                                    Closed Thread

Quick Reply