ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old February 8th, 2010 (8:36 AM).
Learning

Nature: Adamant
    I'm afraid I'm hopeless with pallettes, you should've seen how I mutilated NiKa's Gardevoir OW the first time I inserted it :\
    Anyway, I have two more questions to throw out there:
    1. Just to verify, all I need to do to hide a sprite before the character enters that map in question is set the sprite's Person ID to a flag number, then set that flag before entering the map, right? For example, I've got a sprite on Route 11 with a Person ID of 0201, so if I setflag 0x201 on a different map, will he be hidden when I go to Route 11?
    2. Anyone know the offset for the Vs. Seeker script? I'm going to try to hunt down the vs. seeker move pose value, because logically, it has to be there somewhere. This isn't even that important, just some random thing I'm going to try.

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 8th, 2010 (1:36 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Zootster View Post
      For some reason I can't use the bike in any of the new maps I've made. I made sure that their types were set to Village/City/Route/etc, and I've even gone as far as to make the header of one of my towns identical to that of Viridian City (where the bike works), but still no luck. Help would be greatly appreciated.
      same problem ......................................
      Old February 8th, 2010 (3:47 PM).
      Learning how to make mistakes

check the behavior byte on the tiles you used.

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
        Old February 8th, 2010 (3:56 PM).
        Knows your age

Nature: Calm
          Anyone know how to set off that beep when an exclamation point, question mark ect. goes off?
          Old February 8th, 2010 (4:05 PM).
          Mocha City Gym Leader

Nature: Careful
            Okay, So i know how to create a new map you open any random map and then go 'file' create new map. (something along those lines). Correct me if I'm wrong. Okay So Now I've Gone and made this beautiful map. Now what my problem is, is i want to insert that map into its own header not the header of the one I chose the random map out of. I.E. I Choose the town map from PALLET Town and then i go to 'file' create my new map. Then what happens is it puts it into The PALLET Town Header and changes the name to PALLET Town? Anyone get what I'm getting at anyway I Haven't found anything yet thats being of any help so some help would be great.

Thanks, Burning Citadel
            Old February 8th, 2010 (4:40 PM).
            Yours truly
            • Crystal Tier

Nature: Lonely
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by trebornosliw View Post
            I'm afraid I'm hopeless with pallettes, you should've seen how I mutilated NiKa's Gardevoir OW the first time I inserted it :\
            Anyway, I have two more questions to throw out there:
            1. Just to verify, all I need to do to hide a sprite before the character enters that map in question is set the sprite's Person ID to a flag number, then set that flag before entering the map, right? For example, I've got a sprite on Route 11 with a Person ID of 0201, so if I setflag 0x201 on a different map, will he be hidden when I go to Route 11?
            2. Anyone know the offset for the Vs. Seeker script? I'm going to try to hunt down the vs. seeker move pose value, because logically, it has to be there somewhere. This isn't even that important, just some random thing I'm going to try.
            1. Yup
            2. I don't believe that the Vs. Seeker uses a script in the sense that you could reprogram it with something along the lines of XSE. If I had to guess, I would say that ASM would be required. Also, what's the "move pose value"?

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Septile View Post
            Anyone know how to set off that beep when an exclamation point, question mark ect. goes off?
            Right before you put the applymovement command, plug in the following command + parameter:

Code:
            sound 0x15
            The "beep" that plays when the exclamation box appears does not inherently accompany the movement and must be added manually with the above command.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Burning Citadel View Post
            Okay, So i know how to create a new map you open any random map and then go 'file' create new map. (something along those lines). Correct me if I'm wrong. Okay So Now I've Gone and made this beautiful map. Now what my problem is, is i want to insert that map into its own header not the header of the one I chose the random map out of. I.E. I Choose the town map from PALLET Town and then i go to 'file' create my new map. Then what happens is it puts it into The PALLET Town Header and changes the name to PALLET Town? Anyone get what I'm getting at anyway I Haven't found anything yet thats being of any help so some help would be great.

Thanks, Burning Citadel
            I'm not quite sure what you mean by this but are you asking if it's possible to make a new map and then insert it under, say, Viridian City?

Brother of Vrai
            Old February 8th, 2010 (4:54 PM).
            Awesome Guy Extrordinaire

Quote:
              Originally Posted by 558122_DG View Post
              check the behavior byte on the tiles you used.
              It's 00, though it's the same on premade maps where the bike works....

Old February 8th, 2010 (5:50 PM).
              Learning

Nature: Adamant
                @Colcolstyles: Thanks. By move pose value, I meant the value required to initiate frame 9 of the standard OW sprite, namely, the vs. seeker pose, but what you said is basically what I was expecting :\
                Old February 9th, 2010 (7:27 AM).

I switched blue/gary's ow with red in firedred using the overworld editor.
                  I also switched made sure his palette was switched from 05 or 06 or w/e it was to 00 so retain his color without affecting any other trainer using that palette.

Now, when I see red in prof. oaks lab, his sprite is that of red's and the purple border he and leaf have are gone, but his edges are some weird purple color. Where did I go wrong?
                  Old February 9th, 2010 (4:46 PM).

I haven't seen anything about this, but does anyone know how to manipulate the shinyness? I would like to make wild encounters have a 1:400 or so chance of being shiny, rather than the 1:8,000 or whatever the exact number is. Is this possible to do?
                    Old February 9th, 2010 (6:18 PM). Edited February 9th, 2010 by Ps:hi.
                    mr.MEGA HACK

Nature: Brave
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by icychill66 View Post
                      I haven't seen anything about this, but does anyone know how to manipulate the shinyness? I would like to make wild encounters have a 1:400 or so chance of being shiny, rather than the 1:8,000 or whatever the exact number is. Is this possible to do?
                      The only way that I know is

Spoiler:
                      to go into pokepic and export the shiny, and regular pictures, swap them with paint, import them back to pokepic, compress it to the rom, then try that.
                      Old February 9th, 2010 (6:39 PM).

but that is just simply changing the sprites of pokemon. I'm wondering how to actually change the frequency of them appearing in the wild.
                        Old February 9th, 2010 (11:55 PM).
                        hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Nature: Bashful
                          Quote:
                          but that is just simply changing the sprites of pokemon. I'm wondering how to actually change the frequency of them appearing in the wild.
                          It may require some ASM knowledge. So... Basically, to any "hacker" that is new, it isn't possible, but if you ask ASM hackers, they say use ASM. As well as others.

Basically. ASM knowledge is needed.

Temmie vibrates intensely.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old February 10th, 2010 (1:45 AM).
                          learning the ropes...

Sorry for a long post below, I wanted to explain what I did clearly.

I've been trying to replace a Pokemon sprite in Fire Red with a revamped version of the Yellow Version Charmander I made. I coloured and indexed the file in photoshop, the revamped sprite is 64x64 pixels and uses the same transparent colour as the original (a light-brown colour).

When I import using Hackmew's unLZ, I tick all three boxes, and allocate the new sprite to an empty space suggested by Free Space Finder.

The intended new sprite and the result in-game:
                            Spoiler:

I've read many guides for this, and I've searched all over google and this thread for three days with no luck. Thanks in advance for the help.
                            Old February 10th, 2010 (2:26 AM).
                            Mewtwo Strikes Back
                            • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                            The actual chances are 1/8192. Manipulating the shininess is not a good idea, anyway. You would have to ASM hack a lot of routines, and traded shinies would not be shiny any more. The closest thing you can get is through the Shinyzer and some level scripts: with a bit of randomness, you could increase the chances of finding a shiny.

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Ps:hi View Post
                            The only way that I know is

Spoiler:
                            to go into pokepic and export the shiny, and regular pictures, swap them with paint, import them back to pokepic, compress it to the rom, then try that.
                            Changing all the sprites is not that smart... it would have been definitely better to just replace the palette pointers, eventually. But anyway, doing that would result in all Pokémon looking shiny, even if they aren't.

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Maco View Post
                            Sorry for a long post below, I wanted to explain what I did clearly.

I've been trying to replace a Pokemon sprite in Fire Red with a revamped version of the Yellow Version Charmander I made. I coloured and indexed the file in photoshop, the revamped sprite is 64x64 pixels and uses the same transparent colour as the original (a light-brown colour).

When I import using Hackmew's unLZ, I tick all three boxes, and allocate the new sprite to an empty space suggested by Free Space Finder.

The intended new sprite and the result in-game:
                            Spoiler:

I've read many guides for this, and I've searched all over google and this thread for three days with no luck. :( Thanks in advance for the help.
                            What offsets did you use?
                            Old February 10th, 2010 (3:19 AM).
                            learning the ropes...

0800000 (sprite) and 0800010 (palette). These were the first values to pop up in Free Space Finder.
                              A tutorial told me to separate the 2, and have the palette coming after.
                              Old February 10th, 2010 (4:16 AM). Edited February 10th, 2010 by ryu15.

Hi, do you know how can I change Lucas' name if I chosen Dawn as character in Pokemon Platinum? I want him to be named Diamond. Doable?
                                EDIT: ^$#^#!&!!!!!!! damn... what a fail
                                Old February 10th, 2010 (5:25 AM). Edited February 10th, 2010 by icychill66.

Ok, changing shinyness probability doesn't sound like the best thing to do, now. However, forgive my noobness..., I keep seeing this ASM thing coming up. I've tried to figure out what it is, but I don't know what it stands for. Could someone please tell me:
                                  1. What is ASM?
                                  2. What does it do?
                                  3. Where can I learn how to do it?

thanks

Sorry, for the double post, but I just remembered that ASM stands for assembly language! haha anyways, I still would like to know how to learn to ASM hack the game.
                                  Old February 10th, 2010 (6:21 AM). Edited February 10th, 2010 by Ps:hi.
                                  mr.MEGA HACK

Nature: Brave
                                    I have this weird problem...

Whenever I do at least 3 hacks, and I test it out, The games sound gets all glitch y,
                                    Then most of the time the game freezes.

Help?
                                    Old February 10th, 2010 (7:45 AM).
                                    Mewtwo Strikes Back
                                    • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                                    0800000 (sprite) and 0800010 (palette). These were the first values to pop up in Free Space Finder.
                                    A tutorial told me to separate the 2, and have the palette coming after.
                                    Well... The difference between the two offsets is too small. The sprite is inserted at 0x800000, while the palette is inserted just 16 bytes after, which is definitely not enough. Not to say you don't need to change the palette offset at all because you can just overwrite it. Reinsert it again, this time using the old palette offset and if you did it correctly, everything should be fine.

Quote:
                                    Sorry, for the double post, but I just remembered that ASM stands for assembly language! haha anyways, I still would like to know how to learn to ASM hack the game.
                                    You might want to use the search function; I've got some tutorials in my Knowledge thread. The link is my signature.
                                    Old February 10th, 2010 (11:13 AM). Edited February 10th, 2010 by Maco.
                                    learning the ropes...

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by HackMew View Post
                                      Well... The difference between the two offsets is too small. The sprite is inserted at 0x800000, while the palette is inserted just 16 bytes after, which is definitely not enough. Not to say you don't need to change the palette offset at all because you can just overwrite it. Reinsert it again, this time using the old palette offset and if you did it correctly, everything should be fine.
                                      I've had some success with replacing the palette and inserting the image in some free space, but the transparency colour isn't working and there are 5 random dots where the black colour has turned to white along the outline (sign of too many colours when indexed?):
                                      Spoiler:
                                      Old February 10th, 2010 (11:24 AM).
                                      Banjora Marxvile Banjora Marxvile is offline
                                      hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Nature: Bashful
                                        Quote:
                                        When I do just replace the old sprite, I get the "Compressed size is too big" error. I'm thinking maybe I have more than 16 colours in the image, although I did specify 16 colours when indexing in photoshop. Perhaps I'm not doing that right?
                                        No. Which tutorial is it?

Anyway, you tried the image BEFORE the pallette? No, the Pallette needs to be 2 lines above the Image, NOT the image before the pallette, so instead of 0800000 (sprite) and 0800010 (palette), it should go: 0800000 (pallette HEX) and 0800010 (Sprite HEX).

Temmie vibrates intensely.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old February 10th, 2010 (11:28 AM).
                                        Mewtwo Strikes Back
                                        • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Deviation View Post

Anyway, you tried the image BEFORE the pallette? No, the Pallette needs to be 2 lines above the Image, NOT the image before the pallette, so instead of 0800000 (sprite) and 0800010 (palette), it should go: 0800000 (pallette HEX) and 0800010 (Sprite HEX).
                                        Well, why repointing the palette at all?
                                        Old February 10th, 2010 (11:37 AM).
                                        Knows your age

Nature: Calm
                                          I've got a question. Does anyone know how to hide all of the sprites? (Besides the player, of course!) Because I'm making a hack and there's 8 people I want to hide, and only 3 disappear.
                                          Old February 10th, 2010 (11:41 AM).
                                          Mewtwo Strikes Back
                                          • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Septile View Post
                                          I've got a question. Does anyone know how to hide all of the sprites? (Besides the player, of course!) Because I'm making a hack and there's 8 people I want to hide, and only 3 disappear.
                                          Do you need to hide them just temporarily?

Quick Reply