ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old December 29th, 2010 (8:17 AM). Edited December 29th, 2010 by miksy91.
Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Nature: Relaxed
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hi-Techneon View Post
    But it's something special. Even if you delete all scripts, including the script headers, you'll still get the same effect.
    Script Header has nothing to do with the with the scripts that are loaded when talked to people
    If you deleted the "script headers" (only one exists for each map), the game would freeze when entered to the map of which script header you deleted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hi-Techneon View Post
    So, as far as I know, the only way to get a way around it is to spawn at a different map.
    That's it, that's because the script is very likely loaded from the script header of the "inside the truck" map.

It's obvious it can only affect the map where the script is set in, I mean, you clearly can't make a script happen in map X but still happen in map Y.
    A different script should be set in map Y to make it work.

Script Header is a structure that tells the game how the map is load.
    Script Header explanation made by Tauwasser (in G/S/C).

Spoiler:

In every secondary (second) map header there is a so-called “script pointer” which points to the script header. It that structure that allows the game to have e.g. one-time only events on a map or first enter events or permanent changes to the map or permanent script calls.

Structure:

[[Number1 of pointers] Number1 * [2byte pointer to script][00][00]][[Number2 of pointers] Number2 * [Number][2byte pointer to script]]

The first part (bold and in parentheses) and the second part (italic and bold in parentheses) differ greatly in function.

The first part requires the map to be in the table at 25:4000, the trigger table, because the triggers and first part scripts can only be controlled by a number which needs to be somewhere in ram.
    The second part requires not any special values to be in the ram but it is checked differently often and on different times.

First part:

The first part uses the trigger numbers to decide which pointer to take. In addition to that the script is so often repeatedly executed until another trigger event is activated by De-/activate trigger events.

Scripts of the first part are customarily ended with the Return code2, but the pointer in the header point to a Priority jump1, so the sophisticated functions wait.

Second part:

The scripts of the second part get executed according to their number at different times while the map is loaded.

Number

Status of map
    Checks as (as number x.)

Map data has already been loaded to ram, tileset and sprites still missing
    Map change (3), Loading (2), Map connection (3),After Battle (1)

Map data, tileset and sprites are all loaded
    Map change (5),

Neither map data not tilesets nor sprites are loaded
    Map change (2), Loading (1), Map connection (2)

Map data and tileset loaded, sprites still missing
    Map change (4), Loading (3),Sprite reload (1), Map connection (4), After battle (2)

Map change (1), Map connection (1)

Scripts of the second part are usually ended with the Return code1, or else they interrupt the sophisticated functions.

So basicly, if that truck script was in G/S/C, the First part of the script header (of the map where the truck script would be) would tell the game to load the truck script and you could go there to modify it.
    And, it's highly likely there is also such a thing as script header for all the maps in 3rd gen pokemon games too.

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
    CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
    -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations

Relevant Advertising!

Old December 29th, 2010 (8:24 AM).
    I'm Russia, Fear Russia

Nature: Lonely
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by siper x View Post
      okay, my problem is that some of my warps aren't working, and when i delete them and make new ones, the still don't work. (i've checked, double checked, and triple checked and they are set at the right mao and bank) instead of going to the map i want, it goes to a different member of the eliet 4. any ideas?
      still not answered. i checked everything said on previos pages.

Blood brother to Kroso
      Old December 29th, 2010 (10:43 AM).
      Osnap

Nature: Adamant
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by adhdguitar View Post
        Then you just compile them, since they're already at the offset they were before. However, with pre-existing scripts, you can't make them any longer than they were before, or you'll cause major problems.

To find pre-existing scripts, use A-Map, go to the Trigger or Person Event you want to edit, and click "Open Script." You should also take the time to set XSE as the default script editor for A-Map.
        I've done all this. I took a random man and changed just what he says to "Hey" and still nothing. It worked in the past. It makes me sad panda.
        Old December 29th, 2010 (10:56 AM).

Nature: Rash
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by miksy91 View Post
          Script Header has nothing to do with the with the scripts that are loaded when talked to people
          If you deleted the "script headers" (only one exists for each map), the game would freeze when entered to the map of which script header you deleted.

That's it, that's because the script is very likely loaded from the script header of the "inside the truck" map.

It's obvious it can only affect the map where the script is set in, I mean, you clearly can't make a script happen in map X but still happen in map Y.
          A different script should be set in map Y to make it work.

Script Header is a structure that tells the game how the map is load.
          Script Header explanation made by Tauwasser (in G/S/C).

Spoiler:

In every secondary (second) map header there is a so-called “script pointer” which points to the script header. It that structure that allows the game to have e.g. one-time only events on a map or first enter events or permanent changes to the map or permanent script calls.

Structure:

[[Number1 of pointers] Number1 * [2byte pointer to script][00][00]][[Number2 of pointers] Number2 * [Number][2byte pointer to script]]

The first part (bold and in parentheses) and the second part (italic and bold in parentheses) differ greatly in function.

The first part requires the map to be in the table at 25:4000, the trigger table, because the triggers and first part scripts can only be controlled by a number which needs to be somewhere in ram.
          The second part requires not any special values to be in the ram but it is checked differently often and on different times.

First part:

The first part uses the trigger numbers to decide which pointer to take. In addition to that the script is so often repeatedly executed until another trigger event is activated by De-/activate trigger events.

Scripts of the first part are customarily ended with the Return code2, but the pointer in the header point to a Priority jump1, so the sophisticated functions wait.

Second part:

The scripts of the second part get executed according to their number at different times while the map is loaded.

Number

Status of map
          Checks as (as number x.)

Map data has already been loaded to ram, tileset and sprites still missing
          Map change (3), Loading (2), Map connection (3),After Battle (1)

Map data, tileset and sprites are all loaded
          Map change (5),

Map change (2), Loading (1), Map connection (2)

Map data and tileset loaded, sprites still missing
          Map change (4), Loading (3),Sprite reload (1), Map connection (4), After battle (2)

Map change (1), Map connection (1)

Scripts of the second part are usually ended with the Return code1, or else they interrupt the sophisticated functions.

So basicly, if that truck script was in G/S/C, the First part of the script header (of the map where the truck script would be) would tell the game to load the truck script and you could go there to modify it.
          And, it's highly likely there is also such a thing as script header for all the maps in 3rd gen pokemon games too.
          Oh, then I probably used the wrong term.

VDex:
          White:
          Old December 29th, 2010 (12:25 PM).

Nature: Quiet
            Ok, I have another question lol. Sometimes when I try to compile a script in XSE, it gives me the error message 'Subscript out of range.' What does that mean?
            Old December 29th, 2010 (3:17 PM).
            ~Fedoras~

Nature: Quirky
              @Hi-Techneon & colcolstyles: The post has already fallen back, but still want to say thanks. I guess I've figured out what I'm going to do.

I have another quick question. I looked a bit, but I really have no idea how to go about finding it out. What's the color limit for a tile? I would assume 8, but I want to make sure.

[Tools for lazy hackers] Flight Spot Editor // pkEditor - A Script Generator
              (Warning: May be loud...) // Consolation Prizes by Phoenix
              Old December 29th, 2010 (4:09 PM). Edited December 29th, 2010 by pokeguy9000.
              Ghost Ralts

Nature: Impish
                How do i set it up so i can edit pre-existing scripts? I have added pokescript to a-map as my chosen script editor but when i click "open script" on an event pokescript open and reads :

Quote:
                WELCOME TO POKESCRIPT
                Copyrite Pokewitch Inc
                http://members.westnet.com.au/comhloiche

Invalid Command : c:\documents
                that :\ is supposed to read : \ (without and space)
                what have i done wrong?
                its just really annoying because i have to recompile and add scripts if i correct them
                Old December 29th, 2010 (4:34 PM).
                ~Fedoras~

@pokeguy9000: Yeah, I haven't been able to get that to work either. While I do use Pokescript for writing scripts, I end up using XSE for editing the preexisting scripts. If you didn't know, XSE is quite similar to Pokescript, but it does have a few changes here and there. (I guess XSE is more widely used... but eh, I started with Pokescript so I've stuck with it. XD)

It'd be cool if someone actually had an answer to the question, though. Just saying.

(Just in case my previous question gets overlooked, what's the color limit for a tile? I would assume 8, but I want to make sure.)

[Tools for lazy hackers] Flight Spot Editor // pkEditor - A Script Generator
                  (Warning: May be loud...) // Consolation Prizes by Phoenix
                  Old December 29th, 2010 (4:56 PM). Edited December 29th, 2010 by pokeguy9000.
                  Ghost Ralts

Yes it would be good
                    Also, now that i am using XSE would you please tell me how to edit the pre-existing scripts?
                    Thanks
                    Old December 29th, 2010 (5:27 PM).
                    kevin del rey
                    • Silver Tier

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by pokeguy9000 View Post
                    Yes it would be good
                    Also, now that i am using XSE would you please tell me how to edit the pre-existing scripts?
                    Thanks
                    You would need to find the offset for your script, and decompile it in the offset box near the top-right of the XSE tool.
                    Old December 29th, 2010 (5:50 PM).
                    Ghost Ralts

Quote:
                      You would need to find the offset for your script, and decompile it in the offset box near the top-right of the XSE tool.
                      Ive found the offset (i think) but XSE won't allow me to put anything in the "offset" box
                      I've tried a few things to fix this but, because of my very limited knowledge, i have been unsucessful
                      What do i need to do in order to paste the offset box?
                      Old December 29th, 2010 (6:19 PM).
                      Beauty Queen

I'm having a problem with Advance Text. Several times, I have found an area where I KNOW there is text, where when I boot up the rom there IS text, but when I try to edit it in AT the box is blank. >.<

1. Has anyone else encountered this?
                        2. Does anyone know why this is happening?
                        3. Can I fix this, or must I just leave those parts alone and work around them?

(I have restarted AT & reloaded the rom several times, it doesn't change. The rom is FR, if it matters.)
                        Ultimate Fire Type Challenge: Johto, 10 Badges
                        Lyrics Challenge: Kanto, 1 Badge
                        Nuzlocke Challenge: Kanto, 0 Badges
                        Monochrome Challenge: Hoenn, 5 Badges
                        Old December 29th, 2010 (8:57 PM).

So I'm working on a rom using leaf green as the base. What I need is a fully functioning thief ball. I'm sure this sounds pretty obvious, but I might as well just say it. I need it to be able to steal other trainers pokemon.

Any suggestions?

Also... I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times before, but is there any true way to increase the pokedex size to keep ALL the entries and add new ones. Someone has to be working on a way to make that possible.
                          Old December 30th, 2010 (1:21 AM).

Nature: Rash
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by MysticFlames View Post
                            @Hi-Techneon & colcolstyles: The post has already fallen back, but still want to say thanks. I guess I've figured out what I'm going to do.

I have another quick question. I looked a bit, but I really have no idea how to go about finding it out. What's the color limit for a tile? I would assume 8, but I want to make sure.
                            If I'm right, then every pallete has 16 colors. Tiles use palettes, so I guess they use 16 colors aswell, but I might be wrong.

VDex:
                            White:
                            Old December 30th, 2010 (4:19 AM).
                            This username is already in use's Avatar
                            This username is already in use This username is already in use is offline

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by This username is already in use View Post
                              Does anyone know where I can find the trainer's head/icon thing on the pokenav map in emerald? I've scanned through UNLZ several times to no avail and it's driving me mad! Thanks
                              Nobody knows? Okay maybe someone can answer me this instead: What determines the pallete of reflections in R/S/E? I found out shadows and thought balloons are the last two colours of the OW sprite's palette, but I suspect the reflections use a different palette.
                              Old December 30th, 2010 (6:22 AM). Edited December 30th, 2010 by jota_rdk.
                              Spanish hacker [Javi4315]

Nature: Timid
                                Where it is in un unlz.gba?

Greetings!!

EDIT: In fire red

My tutorials:

Old December 30th, 2010 (6:59 AM).
                                New starter today

In Pokémon FireRed, is there a way to change the message speed? I need a speed that is between mid and fast, but I can't find anything about it. So does somebody know if it is possible? If so, how?

Old December 30th, 2010 (12:55 PM).

Nature: Careful
                                    I'm here with another question.

One of my warps won't work at all. I'm pretty sure everything is working right..
                                    Old December 30th, 2010 (1:35 PM).
                                    Banjora Marxvile Banjora Marxvile is offline
                                    hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!

Nature: Bashful
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Nara567 View Post
                                      I'm here with another question.

One of my warps won't work at all. I'm pretty sure everything is working right..
                                      That is a problem, but as is the lack of detail. It is hard to tell without any specific details. But, I have an idea:

First of all - Did you check the Tile's behaviour in Block Editor to see if it can allow you to use the warp?

Temmie vibrates intensely.

awwAwa cute!! (pets u)

OMG!! humans TOO CUTE (dies)

can't blame a BARK for tryin'...

RATED TEM OUTTA TEM.

Old December 30th, 2010 (2:46 PM).
                                      Pokewatcher & Collector

N00b alert: I am trying to hack LeafGreen, but I can't figure out how to fix the palette of the title screen sprite (I'm using Arceus). I don't really know how to use APE and I don't have the palette offsets for it anyways. Please help!!!

Lost to the sands of time.

Old December 30th, 2010 (3:07 PM).

Hi,

I'm really new to hacking and I've got a major problem.

The scripts I write don't save. Here's what I do:

-Create an NPC in AM, the find a free offset and put it in 'Script offset'.
                                          -I open XSE (tried clicking on the button in AM, and openning it as admin).
                                          -I write the script, giving the #dynamic 0x(Offset) either the same and a different free offset.
                                          -I than compile the script, trying to click on copy in the pop-up, and tried not to click on it.
                                          -I close XSE, either saving or not the .rbc file.
                                          -I open up the script again: No changes made (for an already existing script) or nothing at all.

In case you ask, yes I saved the map, even before openning the script. My OS is Vista.

Please help.

Kathoros
                                          Old December 30th, 2010 (3:45 PM).

Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by Kathoros View Post
                                            Hi,

I'm really new to hacking and I've got a major problem.

The scripts I write don't save. Here's what I do:

-Create an NPC in AM, the find a free offset and put it in 'Script offset'.
                                            -I open XSE (tried clicking on the button in AM, and openning it as admin).
                                            -I write the script, giving the #dynamic 0x(Offset) either the same and a different free offset.
                                            -I than compile the script, trying to click on copy in the pop-up, and tried not to click on it.
                                            -I close XSE, either saving or not the .rbc file.
                                            -I open up the script again: No changes made (for an already existing script) or nothing at all.

In case you ask, yes I saved the map, even before openning the script. My OS is Vista.

Please help.

Kathoros
                                            i dont kno the problem but try this method.

1.open your rom in XSE(file>open>.GBA) then write you script.
                                            2. find an free offset using FSF
                                            3. add the offset to the #dynamic 0x(offset) part in your script.
                                            4.compile it
                                            5.take the offset given to #org @start, or watever name you gave it.
                                            6.put that offset in the NPC script offset area
                                            7. try it out

that should work.
                                            Old December 30th, 2010 (4:12 PM).

When ever I do a level script, the script starts the first time I enter the map. I was wondering if there was a way to make a level scripts start at a specific time? Or if there was a way to start it only if certain conditions have been met.
                                              Old December 30th, 2010 (5:17 PM).
                                              pokemon1412 pokemon1412 is offline

Nature: Calm
                                                I would ask about Battle Frontier editing...

How to change banned pokemon list?
                                                I believe there is a table for that banned pokemon list...
                                                Old December 30th, 2010 (5:30 PM).

Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by Johto_legend View Post
                                                  i dont kno the problem but try this method.

1.open your rom in XSE(file>open>.GBA) then write you script.
                                                  2. find an free offset using FSF
                                                  3. add the offset to the #dynamic 0x(offset) part in your script.
                                                  4.compile it
                                                  5.take the offset given to #org @start, or watever name you gave it.
                                                  6.put that offset in the NPC script offset area
                                                  7. try it out

that should work.
                                                  It worked! Thanks a LOT for your help.

Happy New year's eve everyone!
                                                  Closed Thread

Quick Reply