ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old November 11th, 2011 (7:18 PM).
Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Nature: Calm
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jay the penguin
    How could you allow the hero to run inside?
    could you explain on it and how to do it
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hinkage
    If you are using FR/LG, change the "Show name on entering" to 02

If you are using R/S/E, change the "Show name on entering" to 0F, and change the Type to Secret Base.
    Or you could use Hackmew's quick hex edit...

Found here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=207026

Relevant Advertising!

Old November 11th, 2011 (7:24 PM).
    Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
      So, does anybody here have an idea about making a script work on one map and then changing maps but still have the script run fluently?

Pretty much, my dilemma is that I want to recreate the script on this:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWE41apkGSo&feature=fvwrel
      from 0:50-1:06

I can make the script work until it leaves the map to Route 1, then it stops. Level scripts don't work when I force the player to move to Route 1, and script tiles don't work by the same conditions either. Do you guys ave any idea?
      Old November 12th, 2011 (8:27 AM).

So I may just be a crazy newbie, but here goes.

I'm thinking of making a hack. I already have most of the basic tools, I've read some tutorials, checked out the R&D board a bit, etc. The community and its products have all been very helpful, needless to say. However, I didn't find anything on this--maybe I didn't look hard enough, maybe no one else has had an interest, whatever.

Part of the concept for the hack involves some changes to the plot and mechanics of the Pokedex... Some or all of my questions may be outside the scope of a "Simple Questions" thread, but I'm not sure, so I'll post them here first.

1) I want the Dex to show full information (what normally displays when they're Caught) on most Pokemon and partial information (what normally displays when they're Seen) on all but the rarest Pokemon by default. However, I don't want the game to consider them Seen/Caught until they actually are, so just setting up a script to set those flags isn't enough. Any ideas how I would go about accomplishing this?

2) The player won't be able to catch legendaries, period. However, they will be encountered. (I assume setting their Catch Rate to 0 would be enough to accomplish this, but correct me if I'm wrong.) However, I want the Dex to treat them as if they were just captured once they've been KO'd, popping up with the entry and everything. Is this feasible? If so, how?
        Old November 12th, 2011 (8:57 AM).
        Come and get me

Can you put both Hoenn and Kanto(without the Sevii Islands) in one Firered/leafgreen rom?
          Old November 12th, 2011 (3:31 PM).
          Sitting by the back window

Nature: Bold
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by infersaime View Post
            Can you put both Hoenn and Kanto(without the Sevii Islands) in one Firered/leafgreen rom?
            Probably. There's enough space on there for it, I guess, but whether you'd be able to tweak in the flying spots (see: not enough in the Sevii Isles combined for Hoenn, so you need to add some or do something shifty) and stuff is what matters. You can do it, yeah.
            Old November 13th, 2011 (5:16 AM).

When I try to open some routes in Pokemon Emerald for editing in Advance Map 1.95, I get the error message "ERROR: (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): Value $DF1E0A". The value is different for each route that has this error. When I click past it, the Pokemon Encounter lists have been erased (which were what I've been editing with Advance Map).

I would imagine that this is because it's trying to reach a hex value that either doesn't exist, or is filled with stuff that can't be read properly, or something like that, but I'm relatively new to this, so I don't actually know. The only thing I've done is change the Pokemon Encounter charts, so as far as I know, I haven't done anything with scripting. Can anyone tell me what is going wrong?
              Old November 13th, 2011 (5:45 AM).
              Pokemon Balance Grey Creator

Nature: Brave
                I have a bit of an important question, this issue has been bugging me all day! Basically i inserted overworlds into a ruby rom, i changed the size of frame from 16x32 to 32x32 and for the first few it was fine but after the third overworld insertion something strange occurred! the overworlds got these streaky lines through them that only show up when the hack is played! can someone help me out please: heres a picture of the problem:
                Old November 13th, 2011 (6:23 AM).
                Pokemon Balance Grey Creator

Nature: Brave
                  i have a big problem for you and you would be a genius if you know how to fix it! basically what happened is that i inserted new overworlds into my rom, i changed the fram size from 16x32 to 32x32 and this happened: the overworlds gained streaky lines through them which are only visible when the hack is played:
                  Old November 13th, 2011 (6:33 AM).
                  Everyone currently in an argument with this member: I really suggest you stop.
                  • Gold Tier

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Krika View Post
                  When I try to open some routes in Pokemon Emerald for editing in Advance Map 1.95, I get the error message "ERROR: (ENotAPointer) AdvanceMapError(5): Value $DF1E0A". The value is different for each route that has this error. When I click past it, the Pokemon Encounter lists have been erased (which were what I've been editing with Advance Map).

I would imagine that this is because it's trying to reach a hex value that either doesn't exist, or is filled with stuff that can't be read properly, or something like that, but I'm relatively new to this, so I don't actually know. The only thing I've done is change the Pokemon Encounter charts, so as far as I know, I haven't done anything with scripting. Can anyone tell me what is going wrong?
                  Advance Map 1.95 is buggy with ANYTHING related to data.
                  Whether you're changing/removing/adding/inserting anything, A-Map 1.95 will rape it and then laugh at you for being so gullible.

Use A-Map 1.92, and you'll never have these problems. As far as I know, the only safe thing in 1.95 is map editing. In fact, if you use 1.92, and clear out the Pokemon data, then re-add it, the map will work.
                  Old November 13th, 2011 (8:33 AM).
                  • Platinum Tier
                  • PokéCommunity Daily
                  • Discord Moderoid
                  • Developer

Nature: Quirky
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by hinkage View Post
                  Advance Map 1.95 is buggy with ANYTHING related to data.
                  Whether you're changing/removing/adding/inserting anything, A-Map 1.95 will rape it and then laugh at you for being so gullible.

Use A-Map 1.92, and you'll never have these problems. As far as I know, the only safe thing in 1.95 is map editing. In fact, if you use 1.92, and clear out the Pokemon data, then re-add it, the map will work.
                  Wrong. I've gotten those problems with 1.92. If you've messed up the wild Pokemon list, you're screwed. Unless you want to hex edit it back, my advice would be to reuse the map for something that doesn't require wild Pokemon, like a town or house interior.
                  Old November 13th, 2011 (9:41 AM).
                  to measure how far we wonder

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by ryanblst View Post
                    I have a bit of an important question, this issue has been bugging me all day! Basically i inserted overworlds into a ruby rom, i changed the size of frame from 16x32 to 32x32 and for the first few it was fine but after the third overworld insertion something strange occurred! the overworlds got these streaky lines through them that only show up when the hack is played! can someone help me out please: heres a picture of the problem:
                    Make sure that the frames are inserted at offsets that end in 0, 4, 8, or C.
                    Old November 13th, 2011 (10:13 AM). Edited November 13th, 2011 by Quickster.
                    Dream or Drop?

Nature: Quiet
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
                      So, does anybody here have an idea about making a script work on one map and then changing maps but still have the script run fluently?

Pretty much, my dilemma is that I want to recreate the script on this:
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWE41apkGSo&feature=fvwrel
                      from 0:50-1:06

I can make the script work until it leaves the map to Route 1, then it stops. Level scripts don't work when I force the player to move to Route 1, and script tiles don't work by the same conditions either. Do you guys ave any idea?
                      What do you mean the script stops? I have made a level script, well technically three, that contiues across three masp without you controlling the player. Although it involved warping and not walking into the map, I believe it has the same concept. I used variables. Ill try to make a mock script and see what happens.

EDIT: Alright, so what I did was make a regular script I having my player walk two steps up along with another sprite. This would put us into the first tile of route 1. At the end of the NPC applymovement i had #raw 0x60 to hide sprite. I put another sprite, in the route 1 map, at the first tile the NPC would dissapear on, and once I entered route 1, the sprite automatically appears. There is a small point at wich both sprites are visible, but only a split second. In the tile script in Pallet Town, I set a variable for a level script to appear, and the level script in Route 1 activated right away. So it is possible, just a little gltichy in the one area. Sorry if this is hard to read, Im in a hurry. If you have questions just PM me.

But sometimes I want to come back to it...

Old November 13th, 2011 (10:58 AM).

Time for a script question!!
                        Now to try and explain it...
                        I'm not sure how so here it goes...

I'm trying to get scripts to counter-act one another.
                        It's a lot like the Ruby script where you can't exit the first village until you've been to the Rivals house and seen Professor Birch.
                        I'm trying to do the exact same thing but I can't seem to get one script to kill the other.
                        If someone could help me out here, it would be great.

I'm hacking Pokemon Ruby using Pokescript.
                        (If you only know how to do it in XSE, please dumb it down a bit as I only use XSE to view the script in A-Map and configure parts of the script).

Scripts:
                        #org $findprofoak
                        setvar 5004 0x0
                        checkflag 0x201
                        if b_false goto $notdone

#org $notdone
                        lock
                        message $gotolab
                        $gotolab 1 =(No time for sightseeing,\nBetter go to Professor Oak's lab)
                        boxset 6
                        applymovement 0xFF $tolab
                        pausemove 0
                        release
                        end

#org $tolab
                        #raw 0x9
                        #raw 0xFE
                        This is the script that stops the player from going to a certain area.

#org $profnothere
                        lock
                        setvar 5005 0x1
                        message $nothere
                        $nothere 1 =(Professor Oak doesn't seem to be here,\nbetter ask his assistants)
                        boxset 6
                        setflag 0x201
                        release
                        end
                        This is the script that supposed to allow the player access to the next area.
                        What am I doing wrong?

Also, can someone tell me how to do the Spoiler thing? I have no idea how to do it lol
                        I'm new to any kind forums.
                        Old November 13th, 2011 (5:09 PM).

Quote:
                          Also, can someone tell me how to do the Spoiler thing? I have no idea how to do it lol
                          I'm new to any kind forums.
                          [spoiler]Text[/spoiler]

Copy and paste that exactly as it appears.

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Nate VonGrimm View Post
                          Scripts:
                          Spoiler:
                          Code:
                          #org $findprofoak
                          setvar 5004 0x0
                          checkflag 0x201
                          if b_false goto $notdone
                          PROBLEM EXPLAINED BELOW.

#org $notdone
                          lock
                          message $gotolab
                          $gotolab 1 =(No time for sightseeing,\nBetter go to Professor Oak's lab)
                          boxset 6
                          applymovement 0xFF $tolab
                          pausemove 0
                          release
                          end

#org $tolab
                          #raw 0x9
                          #raw 0xFE

This is the script that stops the player from going to a certain area.

Spoiler:
                          Code:
                          #org $profnothere
                          lock
                          setvar 5005 0x1
                          message $nothere
                          $nothere 1 =(Professor Oak doesn't seem to be here,\nbetter ask his assistants)
                          boxset 6
                          setflag 0x201
                          release
                          end

This is the script that supposed to allow the player access to the next area.
                          What am I doing wrong?
                          My suspicion is that your script breaks because there's no "end" at the part I added red text to -- you don't do anything after you check the flag, to handle the possibility of it being true. Depending on how PKSV compiles that, I would expect the game to reach the end of $findprofoak, and then continue right to the start of $notdone since there's nothing to separate them. This would result in $notdone being executed regardless of the result of checkflag.

"Release" and "end" at the end of $findprofoak should fix it.
                          Old November 13th, 2011 (7:50 PM).

Quote:
                            My suspicion is that your script breaks because there's no "end" at the part I added red text to -- you don't do anything after you check the flag, to handle the possibility of it being true. Depending on how PKSV compiles that, I would expect the game to reach the end of $findprofoak, and then continue right to the start of $notdone since there's nothing to separate them. This would result in $notdone being executed regardless of the result of checkflag.

"Release" and "end" at the end of $findprofoak should fix it.
                            Found the issue. I over looked the whole process and realized that I was trying to clear a flag that I hadn't even set to begin with. I have now figured that instead of clearflag, I needed setflag. It's working fine now. Thanks for the help and thanks for telling me how to do Spoiler!
                            Old November 14th, 2011 (11:45 AM).
                            Intermediate Digidestined

I have an idea, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it or if it can be done. I want to use the daycare system to make a fusion system. I thought maybe I could use the "breeding only" form of evolution, but I'm not finding a full explanation of this term. However, if that works is there a way to add egg groups to the game? I'll keep checking this out, but any help would be fantastic.
                              I'm Epitaph and I plan on releasing the first full-fledged Digimon hack of Pokemon Fire Red. We're getting close to the first release so come check it out in the Progressing hacks, and see how you can help us with the project.
                              Old November 15th, 2011 (8:17 PM).

Okay I'm having alot of trouble with this pokemart script..

#dynamic 0x80000
                                #org @start
                                lock
                                faceplayer
                                pokemart @values
                                release
                                end

#org @values
                                #raw word 0x2
                                #raw word 0x5
                                #raw word 0xD
                                #raw word 0xE
                                #raw word 0xF
                                #raw word 0x10
                                #raw word 0x11
                                #raw word 0x12
                                #raw word 0x15
                                #raw word 0x16
                                #raw word 0x17
                                #raw word 0x18
                                #raw word 0x0
                                #raw word 0x0
                                #raw word 0x0

I mean the script seems fine to me but when I was testing after I buy something or sell something it chages the heros sprite and position after ending the conversation.
                                It even leaves my original hero sprite.

What do you think is the problem?

My Hack!
                                Visit the thread!
                                Old November 16th, 2011 (12:27 PM). Edited November 16th, 2011 by south69_dallas.

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by shinyabsol1 View Post
                                  Find the trainer you want to change in A-Map. Click on their sprite, then click "open script". This will open that trainer's script in xse.

Now look at the trainerbattle command in the script you just opened. The second hex number after it is the trainer's ID, which corresponds with the numbers in the "trainer selection" box of A-Trainer.

I think you can do the rest.
                                  what is a hex number? thanks for the help

Also,is there a quicker way to edit maps? im currently clicking the left part of the tree setting it then the middle the the right the the left top etc etc, so to create a 100 trees its like 600 mouse clicks
                                  Old November 16th, 2011 (3:48 PM).
                                  Pokemon DarkJasper!?

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by south69_dallas
                                    what is a hex number? thanks for the help
                                    Hexidecimal is a number system with a base of 16. Hackmew's Comprehensive Scripting Guide (which comes with XSE) has a section ("Math" Lesson) that explains it in full. Read that.

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by south69_dallas
                                    Also,is there a quicker way to edit maps? im currently clicking the left part of the tree setting it then the middle the the right the the left top etc etc, so to create a 100 trees its like 600 mouse clicks
                                    To copy a lot of tiles for pasting: hold ctrl, then right click and drag to select the tiles you want. Now you can paste whole trees instead of doing it tile by tile!
                                    Old November 16th, 2011 (4:58 PM).

awesome....thanks.....that makes mapping alot easier...il find the guide later but thanks for the direction...im toying with firered ive only done to viridian forest and thats wo changing alot of scripts sigh like 4hrs work i changed an item on a signpost and wow had delete the sign cuz the sign made it very glitchy. The smallest change can freeze the game up didnt know that. Anyways thanks again
                                      Old November 16th, 2011 (5:53 PM).

Nature: Mild
                                        Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
                                        Not in an overly easy way, no. You can either implement some ASM code to store the level of a pokemon in a variable then use a script to display it, or you can do it ALL in a script. The ASM code is a much better option.

ASM Code option:
                                        Code:
                                        .align 2
                                        .thumb

start:

push {r0-r3, lr}

ldr r0, Var_8004		/*load the pointer of variable 0x8004 into r0*/
                                        		ldrh r1, [r0]			/*load the value of variable 0x8004 into r1*/

cmp r1, #0x5			/*compares the value of r1 to 0x5*/
                                        		bgt quit				/*if greater than 0x5, goto quit label*/

mov r0, #0x64			/*set the value of r1 to 0x64*/
                                        		mul r1, r0				/*multiply by r1 (0x64) to 'move' to that pokemon slot*/

ldr r2, Party_Pointer	/*load the pointer for party data into r2*/
                                        		add r2, #0x54			/*move to where the level is stored*/
                                        		add r2, r1				/*add the value of r1 to r2*/

ldrb r3, [r2]			/*load the level byte into r0*/

quit:

ldr r1, Var_800D		/*load the pointer for variable 0x800D into r1*/
                                        		strh r3, [r1]			/*store the (halfword) level value into var 0x800D*/

pop {r0-r3, pc}

Party_Pointer: .word 0x02024284
                                        Var_8004: .word 0x020370c0
                                        Var_800D: .word 0x020370d0
                                        Script option:
                                        Code:
                                        #dynamic 0x800000

#org @Pokemon1
                                        setvar LASTRESULT 0x0000
                                        copybyte 0x020370d0 0x020242D8
                                        return
                                        end

#org @Pokemon2
                                        setvar LASTRESULT 0x0000
                                        copybyte 0x020370d0 0x0202433C
                                        return
                                        end

#org @Pokemon3
                                        setvar LASTRESULT 0x0000
                                        copybyte 0x020370d0 0x020242A0
                                        return
                                        end

#org @Pokemon4
                                        setvar LASTRESULT 0x0000
                                        copybyte 0x020370d0 0x02024404
                                        return
                                        end

#org @Pokemon5
                                        setvar LASTRESULT 0x0000
                                        copybyte 0x020370d0 0x02024468
                                        return
                                        end

#org @Pokemon6
                                        setvar LASTRESULT 0x0000
                                        copybyte 0x020370d0 0x020244CC
                                        return
                                        end
                                        Hope that helps.
                                        I still remain somewhat confuzzled as to the operations occurring here. Are both options independent of each other?
                                        If so, what is LASTRESULT referencing in the script option?

In either case, with the level of the pokemon loaded into variable, it is then possible to run a compare function and split the script dependent on the value the variable was set to, yes?
                                        Old November 16th, 2011 (8:38 PM).

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Cold Ivory View Post
                                          I still remain somewhat confuzzled as to the operations occurring here. Are both options independent of each other?
                                          If so, what is LASTRESULT referencing in the script option?
                                          They're completely independent. LASTRESULT is another name for Variable 0x800D, and in the script version, you're basically copying the data from the Pokemon section of RAM, to the RAM address used to store LASTRESULT's value. Think of it as a roundabout "setvar". (The "setvar" before the "copybyte" command works because LASTRESULT is a two-byte value. Copybyte only changes one byte. Setvar deals with the byte that Copybyte misses.)

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Cold Ivory View Post
                                          In either case, with the level of the pokemon loaded into variable, it is then possible to run a compare function and split the script dependent on the value the variable was set to, yes?
                                          Yes. Just your standard compare/comparevar and if statements.
                                          Old November 16th, 2011 (9:40 PM).

Nature: Mild
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by DavidJCobb View Post
                                            They're completely independent. LASTRESULT is another name for Variable 0x800D, and in the script version, you're basically copying the data from the Pokemon section of RAM, to the RAM address used to store LASTRESULT's value. Think of it as a roundabout "setvar". (The "setvar" before the "copybyte" command works because LASTRESULT is a two-byte value. Copybyte only changes one byte. Setvar deals with the byte that Copybyte misses.)

Yes. Just your standard compare/comparevar and if statements.
                                            Awesome, thanks!

Where am I messing up here, then?

#org @start
                                            lock
                                            faceplayer
                                            checkflag 0x6C
                                            if 0x1 goto @other
                                            setvar LASTRESULT 0x0000
                                            copybyte 0x020370d0 0x020242D8
                                            compare 0x800D 0x5
                                            if 0x1 goto @weak
                                            compare 0x800D 0x7
                                            if 0x1 goto @strong
                                            msgbox @fight 0x6
                                            release
                                            end

It seems to go right from faceplayer to release.
                                            Perhaps I'm copying the wrong bytes? (I'm using Ruby)
                                            Old November 17th, 2011 (10:47 AM).

Hello

Im trying to hack pokemon fire red for my personal use, and i was thinking about create some other islands with legendaries from other versions. What i want to know is the way to go to them with tickets like we go to birth island or navel rock. I also want to obtain rainbow/mystic... tickets without cheats (finding them on the wild or someone giving them to me) and make the sailor on virmilion recognise them. I've tryed this and he only recognise the tri-pass.

Thanks in advance
                                              Old November 17th, 2011 (3:28 PM).
                                              Devinsparce Devinsparce is offline

Nature: Adamant
                                                Hey guys. I have a couple of questions that have been asked before, but I couldn't seem to find any clear answers. Let me know if any of you have an idea how to accomplish these. Thanks in advance! - Devinsparce

I am working with Fire Red

1. After you press start at the intro, the game explains the controls. How can I completely remove this section.

2. After it shows you the controls, before Professor Oak comes on screen, there is a preface with Pikachu in the corner. I would like to either (1) get rid of pikachu, or (2) remove this part all together.

Thanks again everyone!

Quick Reply