ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #20251    
Old January 2nd, 2012 (9:32 PM).
redriders180's Avatar
redriders180 redriders180 is offline
Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
     
    Join Date: Jun 2010
    Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
    Gender: Male
    Nature: Quirky
    Posts: 540
    Yay, another question from me. Basically, I'm making some deep mud in my game, and I need it to look like the player is half under the mud. I set the behavior byte to "Hero halfway underwater", which looks fine, except the rectangle covering the lower half of the player is blue. How can I change the color of this?
    __________________


    I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.



    Relevant Advertising!

      #20252    
    Old January 2nd, 2012 (11:24 PM).
    Truality Truality is offline
    Left for good
       
      Join Date: Aug 2011
      Gender: Male
      Posts: 1,007
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
      Could someone here give me a link to a tutorial or something along that line that teaches me about the wonderful world of Hex Editing? I just figured out how important it was...
      I would recommend this one. There's more to learn by yourself than with a measly tutorial when it comes to hediting, though.

      Quote:
      Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
      Yay, another question from me. Basically, I'm making some deep mud in my game, and I need it to look like the player is half under the mud. I set the behavior byte to "Hero halfway underwater", which looks fine, except the rectangle covering the lower half of the player is blue. How can I change the color of this?
      Test it on a new ROM and mess with palettes? If you're talking about FRLG, the palettes 6 and 9 have a lot of blue blocks, and palette 7 has a really tinting one. Just saying.
      __________________
      This is my December . . .
        #20253    
      Old January 2nd, 2012 (11:38 PM).
      MTH13007 MTH13007 is offline
         
        Join Date: Jan 2012
        Gender: Male
        Posts: 2
        Ok, so I searched all of the posts with unLZ gba in them and didn't find anything related to my issue. Lead me in the right direction if I was mistaken.

        But I'm rather new to hacking, and right now I'm doing a couple basic hacks in Pokémon Ruby. Mostly just adding in my own pokémon here and there. I've already replaced the sprites for a few and have that method down. Or so I thought..

        Right now I'm trying to add in my own pokémon in one of the free Hex offsets in the game but I'm having major issues.


        1: While working on one of my roms, unLZ must have crashed or something because now every single sprite in the rom shows up as a big black square inside unLZ (they're fine in-game). I can no longer work off this rom, or any rom with the same name (I copied a pre-crash version of the file to the folder I'm working in and replaced the broken one, but the same error occurred until I changed the name.) This may be because I tried to add a sprite to one of the "??" spaces on unLZ. But like I said, I deleted the file I did that with and still have the problem on the replacement.

        2: With a second rom I'm working with, I'm trying to add an evolution to Mawile using a free Hex offset. But the sprite isn't cooperating. When I import it, the image is fine on the top half, but the bottom is all random pixels. Secondly, the sprite imports itself to the next two sprites after it for some reason. All the sprites I'm working with have already been indexed to 16 bit... I'm at a loss here.

        I'm running Windows 7 64 bit (Yes I know that's a problematic OS). And I can provide some screens if needed.

        Any suggestions??
          #20254    
        Old January 3rd, 2012 (1:00 AM).
        DrFuji's Avatar
        DrFuji DrFuji is offline
        Heiki Hecchara‌‌
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Sep 2009
        Location: Downia-upside
        Age: 24
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Jolly
        Posts: 1,328
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by MTH13007 View Post
        Ok, so I searched all of the posts with unLZ gba in them and didn't find anything related to my issue. Lead me in the right direction if I was mistaken.

        But I'm rather new to hacking, and right now I'm doing a couple basic hacks in Pokémon Ruby. Mostly just adding in my own pokémon here and there. I've already replaced the sprites for a few and have that method down. Or so I thought..

        Right now I'm trying to add in my own pokémon in one of the free Hex offsets in the game but I'm having major issues.


        1: While working on one of my roms, unLZ must have crashed or something because now every single sprite in the rom shows up as a big black square inside unLZ (they're fine in-game). I can no longer work off this rom, or any rom with the same name (I copied a pre-crash version of the file to the folder I'm working in and replaced the broken one, but the same error occurred until I changed the name.) This may be because I tried to add a sprite to one of the "??" spaces on unLZ. But like I said, I deleted the file I did that with and still have the problem on the replacement.

        2: With a second rom I'm working with, I'm trying to add an evolution to Mawile using a free Hex offset. But the sprite isn't cooperating. When I import it, the image is fine on the top half, but the bottom is all random pixels. Secondly, the sprite imports itself to the next two sprites after it for some reason. All the sprites I'm working with have already been indexed to 16 bit... I'm at a loss here.

        I'm running Windows 7 64 bit (Yes I know that's a problematic OS). And I can provide some screens if needed.

        Any suggestions??
        UNlz can be a bit iffy at times when it comes to editing sprites. Try using Wichu's Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor as it can change the Pokemon effortlessly and even synchronise the normal/ shiny palettes being used.
        __________________
          #20255    
        Old January 3rd, 2012 (2:27 AM). Edited January 3rd, 2012 by jdthebud.
        jdthebud's Avatar
        jdthebud jdthebud is offline
        Engineering Solutions
        • Crystal Tier
         
        Join Date: Oct 2010
        Location: Washington, USA
        Gender: Male
        Nature: Lax
        Posts: 3,627
        Okay, I just want to try something simple for Emerald. I would like to change the names of May, Brendan, and Wally. Is there a way to do that? I couldn't find anything here that dealt with that specifically, and everything I looked at for editing trainers just talked about sprites and stuff.

        EDIT: I was able to change the trainer names with A-Trainer, but I'm not sure how to change the names in dialogue, as A-Text, which I think should be able to do that, isn't working for me with Emerald, the text that comes up has symbols and stuff, and apparently all that's there is the start up to Route 102, which kind of surprised me, considering how long Emerald has been around.
        __________________
          #20256    
        Old January 3rd, 2012 (2:54 AM).
        armanr armanr is offline
           
          Join Date: Aug 2011
          Gender: Male
          Posts: 7
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Darthatron View Post
          There is no tool to do this. You would have to edit the games engine with ASM, which is no easy task.
          Thanks. Is it possible to modify existing abilities (make iron fist do 1.5X instead of 1.2X)? Also is it possible to alter frenzy plant/grass pledge etc. move tutor to teach more moves?
            #20257    
          Old January 3rd, 2012 (4:54 AM).
          SKRoy SKRoy is offline
          Pokémon Hacker
             
            Join Date: Mar 2010
            Gender: Male
            Posts: 66
            I made a script:

            #dynamic 0x800000

            #org @start
            lock
            faceplayer
            msgbox @1 0x6
            cry 0x246 0x0
            wildbattle 0x246 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
            fadescreen 0x1
            fadescreen 0x0
            hidesprite 0x4
            setflag 0x200
            release
            end

            #org @1
            = LARVITAR: Lar lar!

            When I talk to the Larvitar in the game the whole game freezed (I don't know how to say that in good English, but I think you understand me). How can I fix this?!
              #20258    
            Old January 3rd, 2012 (8:50 AM).
            MTH13007 MTH13007 is offline
               
              Join Date: Jan 2012
              Gender: Male
              Posts: 2
              Thanks a lot for the reference! It seems to have done all I needed it to!
                #20259    
              Old January 3rd, 2012 (9:15 AM).
              redriders180's Avatar
              redriders180 redriders180 is offline
              Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                 
                Join Date: Jun 2010
                Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Quirky
                Posts: 540
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Truality View Post
                I would recommend this one. There's more to learn by yourself than with a measly tutorial when it comes to hediting, though.

                Test it on a new ROM and mess with palettes? If you're talking about FRLG, the palettes 6 and 9 have a lot of blue blocks, and palette 7 has a really tinting one. Just saying.
                I tried using APE to search for the specific blue that the rectangle is, but it found many pallates, and I don't want to mess them up. What do you mean by Pallate 6, 9, and 7? What are their offsets?

                Quote:
                Originally Posted by SKRoy View Post
                I made a script:

                #dynamic 0x800000

                #org @start
                lock
                faceplayer
                msgbox @1 0x6
                cry 0x246 0x0
                wildbattle 0x246 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
                fadescreen 0x1
                fadescreen 0x0
                hidesprite 0x4
                setflag 0x200
                release
                end

                #org @1
                = LARVITAR: Lar lar!

                When I talk to the Larvitar in the game the whole game freezed (I don't know how to say that in good English, but I think you understand me). How can I fix this?!
                Your problem is:
                Code:
                ...
                cry 0x246 0x0
                wildbattle 0x246 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
                ...
                When a number begins with "0x", That means the number is in hex. 0x246 is a hexidecimal number, that equals 582 in our normal counting system. Since there arent 582 Pokemon, this explains the freezing. Just replace "0x246" with 0xF6 (0xF6 is 246 in hex)

                Edit: I don't know if your version of XSE does this, but you can also input numbers in decimal by not typing in the "0x". For example:
                Code:
                ...
                cry 246 0
                wildbattle 246 5 0 0 0 0
                ...
                __________________


                I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                  #20260    
                Old January 3rd, 2012 (10:06 AM).
                SKRoy SKRoy is offline
                Pokémon Hacker
                   
                  Join Date: Mar 2010
                  Gender: Male
                  Posts: 66
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                  I tried using APE to search for the specific blue that the rectangle is, but it found many pallates, and I don't want to mess them up. What do you mean by Pallate 6, 9, and 7? What are their offsets?



                  Your problem is:
                  Code:
                  ...
                  cry 0x246 0x0
                  wildbattle 0x246 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
                  ...
                  When a number begins with "0x", That means the number is in hex. 0x246 is a hexidecimal number, that equals 582 in our normal counting system. Since there arent 582 Pokemon, this explains the freezing. Just replace "0x246" with 0xF6 (0xF6 is 246 in hex)

                  Edit: I don't know if your version of XSE does this, but you can also input numbers in decimal by not typing in the "0x". For example:
                  Code:
                  ...
                  cry 246 0
                  wildbattle 246 5 0 0 0 0
                  ...
                  Thanks it works!
                  Now I have another problem, wich is bigger... I'm making a hack... I have a big problem. I have done a few things and I was trying some things out in the game. But when I want to the start menu (the menu with pokédex, pokemon, bag, save etc.) the whole game freeze.... How can I fix this?
                    #20261    
                  Old January 3rd, 2012 (10:22 AM).
                  MissDigitalis's Avatar
                  MissDigitalis MissDigitalis is offline
                     
                    Join Date: Dec 2011
                    Gender: Female
                    Posts: 115
                    I had a few questions here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6994516&postcount=409
                    and here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=6994776&postcount=75
                    __________________

                      #20262    
                    Old January 3rd, 2012 (10:37 AM).
                    SKRoy SKRoy is offline
                    Pokémon Hacker
                       
                      Join Date: Mar 2010
                      Gender: Male
                      Posts: 66
                      I'm making a hack, but I have a big problem. I have done a few things and I was trying some things out in the game. But when I want to the start menu (the menu with pokédex, pokemon, bag, save etc.) the whole game freeze.... How can I fix this?
                        #20263    
                      Old January 3rd, 2012 (10:39 AM).
                      MissDigitalis's Avatar
                      MissDigitalis MissDigitalis is offline
                         
                        Join Date: Dec 2011
                        Gender: Female
                        Posts: 115
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by SKRoy View Post
                        I'm making a hack, but I have a big problem. I have done a few things and I was trying some things out in the game. But when I want to the start menu (the menu with pokédex, pokemon, bag, save etc.) the whole game freeze.... How can I fix this?
                        What have you done to the game so far?


                        It's always good to have a back up file every time you do an edit so you can go back if you mess something up.
                        __________________

                          #20264    
                        Old January 3rd, 2012 (11:14 AM).
                        AustinWolff's Avatar
                        AustinWolff AustinWolff is offline
                        has left
                           
                          Join Date: Aug 2011
                          Location: LA, California
                          Age: 19
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Brave
                          Posts: 100
                          hello! I have a question about tile molester alternate:

                          Spoiler:
                          When I click the button "paste from" I choose my tile map I made in NTME for my ruby world map, but when I choose it, it says "Error Loading Bitmap Null"


                          any help?
                          __________________
                          I have left. Feel free to disable my account.
                            #20265    
                          Old January 3rd, 2012 (11:51 AM).
                          colcolstyles's Avatar
                          colcolstyles colcolstyles is offline
                          Yours truly
                          • Crystal Tier
                           
                          Join Date: May 2008
                          Location: The Bay Area
                          Gender: Male
                          Nature: Lonely
                          Posts: 1,584
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by jdthebud View Post
                          Okay, I just want to try something simple for Emerald. I would like to change the names of May, Brendan, and Wally. Is there a way to do that? I couldn't find anything here that dealt with that specifically, and everything I looked at for editing trainers just talked about sprites and stuff.

                          EDIT: I was able to change the trainer names with A-Trainer, but I'm not sure how to change the names in dialogue, as A-Text, which I think should be able to do that, isn't working for me with Emerald, the text that comes up has symbols and stuff, and apparently all that's there is the start up to Route 102, which kind of surprised me, considering how long Emerald has been around.
                          Try this post.

                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by AustinWolff View Post
                          hello! I have a question about tile molester alternate:

                          Spoiler:
                          When I click the button "paste from" I choose my tile map I made in NTME for my ruby world map, but when I choose it, it says "Error Loading Bitmap Null"


                          any help?
                          Why are you using Tile Molester to insert a tile map? Tile Molester is for editing & inserting graphics. Tile maps are not graphics (more like data/metadata) and can be inserted with a hex editor or even unLZ if it needs to be compressed.
                          __________________

                          Brother of Vrai
                            #20266    
                          Old January 3rd, 2012 (12:02 PM).
                          Truality Truality is offline
                          Left for good
                             
                            Join Date: Aug 2011
                            Gender: Male
                            Posts: 1,007
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                            I tried using APE to search for the specific blue that the rectangle is, but it found many pallates, and I don't want to mess them up. What do you mean by Pallate 6, 9, and 7? What are their offsets?
                            You don't need offsets. I was referring to the palettes shown in the palette editor on A-Map (from Block editor).
                            __________________
                            This is my December . . .
                              #20267    
                            Old January 3rd, 2012 (2:48 PM).
                            Itcheeee's Avatar
                            Itcheeee Itcheeee is offline
                            All Hail Shadow
                               
                              Join Date: Dec 2011
                              Location: Space Colony Ark
                              Gender: Female
                              Posts: 527
                              Alright, I can't find this asked before. I want to have one Pokemon of the same species look different, but through breeding the Pokemon look normal. Example, lets say the Spiky-eared Pichu. Lets say you would encounter it, and catch it. However if you breed it (I know Pichu cannot breed, but *if* you could I'm saying, in my hack I'm using another Pokemon I do not wish to reveal yet who is breed-able), you would get normal Pichu and the Spiky-eared Pichu would still register in the dex as a Pichu. Hopefully you get what I'm saying here, and, is this possible to do in Firered? Basically have a certain Pokemon look different in one area (even if only one can be encounter-able, that's all I need anyways) but if you breed it the Pokemon would be normal unlike the parent? I know this has worked in HGSS, but I need this to work in Firered. Thanks for any answers or suggestions, I'm new at hacking but eager to get working on my new hack =)
                                #20268    
                              Old January 3rd, 2012 (3:30 PM).
                              SKRoy SKRoy is offline
                              Pokémon Hacker
                                 
                                Join Date: Mar 2010
                                Gender: Male
                                Posts: 66
                                I'm making a hack, but I have a big problem. I have done a few things and I was trying some things out in the game. But when I want to the start menu (the menu with pokédex, pokemon, bag, save etc.) the whole game freeze.... How can I fix this?
                                  #20269    
                                Old January 3rd, 2012 (3:51 PM).
                                redriders180's Avatar
                                redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                                Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jun 2010
                                  Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Quirky
                                  Posts: 540
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Truality View Post
                                  You don't need offsets. I was referring to the palettes shown in the palette editor on A-Map (from Block editor).
                                  I also failed to mention I'm hacking Firered. Pallates 7 and 9 change depending on the map.

                                  Additionally, the hero halfway underwater is a sprite, and not tile related at all. If I could locate this sprite, perhaps I could recolor it as well.
                                  __________________


                                  I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                                    #20270    
                                  Old January 3rd, 2012 (6:31 PM).
                                  Darthatron's Avatar
                                  Darthatron Darthatron is offline
                                  巨大なトロール。
                                  • Silver Tier
                                   
                                  Join Date: Jan 2006
                                  Location: Melbourne, Australia
                                  Age: 25
                                  Gender: Male
                                  Nature: Modest
                                  Posts: 1,152
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by armanr View Post
                                  Thanks. Is it possible to modify existing abilities (make iron fist do 1.5X instead of 1.2X)? Also is it possible to alter frenzy plant/grass pledge etc. move tutor to teach more moves?
                                  Both of these things are possible with the use of ASM. But there are no tools to do these specific things.
                                  __________________
                                  あなた は しきしゃ です
                                  わたし は ばか です
                                    #20271    
                                  Old January 3rd, 2012 (9:15 PM).
                                  movieguy12 movieguy12 is offline
                                     
                                    Join Date: Mar 2006
                                    Nature: Adamant
                                    Posts: 65
                                    Question, if I were to replace all 386 pokemon in Pokemon ruby with 386 fakemon, would I be able to trade them to pearl and they keep their sprites? So for example let's say in ruby I replace bulbsaurs sprite/name with (for argument sake lets just say bob) lol. Now would since it's not really bob anymore persay, could I transfer bob to pearl and it still look like Bob and not bulbsaur? Hope this makes sense...
                                      #20272    
                                    Old January 3rd, 2012 (9:35 PM).
                                    Missingyep Missingyep is offline
                                       
                                      Join Date: Jul 2010
                                      Posts: 275
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by movieguy12 View Post
                                      Question, if I were to replace all 386 pokemon in Pokemon ruby with 386 fakemon, would I be able to trade them to pearl and they keep their sprites? So for example let's say in ruby I replace bulbsaurs sprite/name with (for argument sake lets just say bob) lol. Now would since it's not really bob anymore persay, could I transfer bob to pearl and it still look like Bob and not bulbsaur? Hope this makes sense...
                                      Nope. They'll show up as real Pokemon in Pearl.
                                        #20273    
                                      Old January 3rd, 2012 (9:39 PM).
                                      movieguy12 movieguy12 is offline
                                         
                                        Join Date: Mar 2006
                                        Nature: Adamant
                                        Posts: 65
                                        Aw man. Right on. Is there any way to replace pearl pokemon yet?
                                          #20274    
                                        Old January 3rd, 2012 (11:41 PM).
                                        Truality Truality is offline
                                        Left for good
                                           
                                          Join Date: Aug 2011
                                          Gender: Male
                                          Posts: 1,007
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                          I also failed to mention I'm hacking Firered. Pallates 7 and 9 change depending on the map.

                                          Additionally, the hero halfway underwater is a sprite, and not tile related at all. If I could locate this sprite, perhaps I could recolor it as well.
                                          How is it not tile-related if it's a behavior type? What are the behavior bytes on the tile you altered this to?
                                          __________________
                                          This is my December . . .
                                            #20275    
                                          Old January 3rd, 2012 (11:58 PM).
                                          redriders180's Avatar
                                          redriders180 redriders180 is offline
                                          Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
                                             
                                            Join Date: Jun 2010
                                            Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                                            Gender: Male
                                            Nature: Quirky
                                            Posts: 540
                                            Quote:
                                            Originally Posted by Truality View Post
                                            How is it not tile-related if it's a behavior type? What are the behavior bytes on the tile you altered this to?
                                            It's tile related, but the rectangle itself is a sprite. The behavior byte is $28 $00, Hero halfway
                                            underwater.

                                            Edit: I know it's a sprite because it shows up in VBA's OAM viewer, which shows all the sprites currently on the screen.
                                            __________________


                                            I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.


                                            Closed Thread
                                            Quick Reply

                                            Sponsored Links
                                            Thread Tools

                                            Posting Rules
                                            You may not post new threads
                                            You may not post replies
                                            You may not post attachments
                                            You may not edit your posts

                                            BB code is On
                                            Smilies are On
                                            [IMG] code is On
                                            HTML code is Off

                                            Forum Jump


                                            All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:07 PM.