ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old March 4th, 2012 (8:22 AM). Edited March 4th, 2012 by Quickster.
Dream or Drop?

Nature: Quiet
    Hi, Im using JPANs engine to add new palettes but I can not get current sprites to load them. They look fine in OE:RE but keep there original palettes in VBA. Is there something in hex that tells the game to loads the sprite pointer table from a certain location? Im stumped. The hero can load the new palette but no other sprite can. Help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I found a solution. -.-
    But, when I try loading two OWs, each with their own custom palette, only one loads. Any solutions to that?
    EDIT2: Even with an OW with an original palette, it cant load both at the same time. If I walk away so one is not visible then walk back, the palette loads. But If both are on the screen, they wont load.
    EDIT3: I guess I figured it out, with the whole palette slot thing.!

But sometimes I want to come back to it...

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 4th, 2012 (3:19 PM). Edited March 5th, 2012 by GoGoShinyDunsparce.
    And Flounderp too!

Nature: Lax
      EDIT: Thanks to redriders and chrunch for your advice! As an extra question, is it possible to replace some of the current Trainer overworlds with Pokemon ones, and is it possible to, for example, remove the Secret Base system and use its space for something else?

I've just started learning this hacking business, currently getting to grips with Advanced Map before I move on to scripting. I have two basic questions at this stage:

1. How would I go about entering an overworld sprite for say a Lickitung into an Emerald ROM? There are several pkmn overworld sprites available in the Person Event Picture list in AM, but only a very limited number of them (e.g. Wingull, Zigzagoon). In short, I'd like to be able to put any Pokemon I like into the world, wandering around an area.

2. I've read several times in this thread that adding too much additional data to a ROM can cause it not to patch successfully - if that is the case then how can I make additional regions available in the late game (sth. like the Sevii Islands or Kanto in GSC, but bigger)? I'm planning a 3-region adventure...

Thanks in advance, hopefully when I learn more I can help out on this thread as well.
      Old March 4th, 2012 (4:25 PM).
      Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by GoGoShinyDunsparce View Post
        I've just started learning this hacking business, currently getting to grips with Advanced Map before I move on to scripting. I have two basic questions at this stage:

1. How would I go about entering an overworld sprite for say a Lickitung into an Emerald ROM? There are several pkmn overworld sprites available in the Person Event Picture list in AM, but only a very limited number of them (e.g. Wingull, Zigzagoon). In short, I'd like to be able to put any Pokemon I like into the world, wandering around an area.

2. I've read several times in this thread that adding too much additional data to a ROM can cause it not to patch successfully - if that is the case then how can I make additional regions available in the late game (sth. like the Sevii Islands or Kanto in GSC, but bigger)? I'm planning a 3-region adventure...

Thanks in advance, hopefully when I learn more I can help out on this thread as well.
        For your first question, I have to say that you can't have EVERY Pokemon as an overworld in emerald, simply because of the way the game is programmed. There are only 255 possibly OWs, with repointing, and 244 of them are already used in Emerald. There is the possibility of rewriting the code to make emerald work similar to J-Pans hack engine for firered, which uses an unused byte to expand the number of possible OWs, but that's high-level stuff.

For your second question, Emerald is the Gen III rom with the least amount of free space...even the quest to put all 649 Pokemon in it was disbanded because of the space issue. The only way to have three regions is to expand the Rom to 32MB, doubling its size. But be warned, because some tools don't work well with an expanded ROM, but luckily A-map does. expanded roms also can't be patched with Lunar IPS, because the limit is 16mb for an IPS file.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old March 4th, 2012 (10:42 PM).
        • Gold Tier

Quote:

1) It's not possible in emerald. not enough space for OWs (like redriders180 said, only 255), and not nearly enough palletes available, because most likely you'd need a seperate one for each Pokemon.

2) Emerald doesn't have much free space, you won't be able to put 3 regions in, sorry.

It'd probably be easier for you to switch to FR and use JPAN's patch, because it expands the space for overworlds and FR has a lot more free space in which you -might- be able to fit three regions in.
        Old March 5th, 2012 (1:09 AM).
        Toast Engineer

Nature: Bold
          Hey all I'm trying to make the title screen for the hack I'm trying to make. It's a Digimon hack of firered. I can do everything like change the sprite, background except I'm having trouble changing the logo, I want to put the digimon logo in where it says pokemon. I can't quite get this right. One attempt I had it in correctly, I just couldn't find the palette to change the logo.
          If someone could please help me I would be very grateful
          Thanks.

I support these hacks
          Old March 5th, 2012 (9:12 AM). Edited March 5th, 2012 by Mana.
          • Platinum Tier

Anyone any idea what causes or how to fix this problem?

Nothing has been changed on the map since it was last working except for movement permissions and connections .

[Fixed thanks to Spherical Ice]
          Old March 5th, 2012 (9:15 AM).
          Highlight my signature :)

^hmm... I am going to take a stab in the dark and say get a new rom...
            Old March 5th, 2012 (9:33 AM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post

Nothing has been changed on the map since it was last working except for movement permissions and connections .
              I had that. I believe something was wrong with the script for me. Try changing the script on that position. Or save it as a new .gba file (dont overwrite, create a new file). Maybe that works.
              Old March 5th, 2012 (9:38 AM).
              • Crystal Tier

Quote:

Nothing has been changed on the map since it was last working except for movement permissions and connections :S.
              Is this a level script? If so, in Advance Map go to the Header tab, go to Professional View (Ctrl + H), copy the offset in the Map Script Offset box, paste it in the Offset box in XSE, then press the Spanner Button (it says Level Script), the press the Screwdriver Button (it says Decompile). In this script, go to the part that looks similar to this (this was just taken from a sample level script in my hack, so don't expect the pointers or variables to be the same):

'---------------
              #org 0x80293B
              #raw 0x2
              #raw pointer 0x8802F5F
              #raw 0x0

'---------------
              #org 0x802F5F
              #raw word 0x7002
              #raw word 0x0
              #raw pointer 0x8802F6A
              #raw word 0xFFFF

If you see the #raw word 0xFFFF part, change it to #raw word 0x0, then compile this new script and replace the offset in the Map Script Offset box, save your map, test it and see if it works. If not, sorry!

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
              Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
              Old March 5th, 2012 (9:46 AM).

^He is probably right... sorry
                Old March 5th, 2012 (4:17 PM).
                • Platinum Tier

I swear everything is out to get me today...

Why won't this connection work? I can go From top to bottom, but as soon as I'm in the bottom map the connection then fails and you can't go back to the top. They are perfectly aligned.

If you then go in to a building (bottom map) and go back to the connection you can't even see the other map, it just becomes border tiles.

Hating on A-Map
                Old March 5th, 2012 (5:43 PM).
                Dream or Drop?

Nature: Quiet
                  Quote:

Why won't this connection work? I can go From top to bottom, but as soon as I'm in the bottom map the connection then fails and you can't go back to the top. They are perfectly aligned.

If you then go in to a building (bottom map) and go back to the connection you can't even see the other map, it just becomes border tiles.

Hating on A-Map
                  Hmm, Im not too familiar with The newer A-Map, but have you tried going to the bottom map and editing the connections?

But sometimes I want to come back to it...

Old March 6th, 2012 (1:29 AM).
                  • Platinum Tier

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Quickster View Post
                  Hmm, Im not too familiar with The newer A-Map, but have you tried going to the bottom map and editing the connections?
                  I've deleted and remade the connection loads, it's just so annoying how it only works one way
                  Old March 6th, 2012 (1:33 AM).
                  On vacation

Quote:
                    I've deleted and remade the connection loads, it's just so annoying how it only works one way
                    Hm... not sure, but sometimes the connection data of a map gets lost randomly. Does it give an error every time you open this map? I dunno, maybe try insterting the map in another map number or bank, it's probably that slot that's corrupted.

Thank you The Blueprint !!!
                    Old March 6th, 2012 (2:07 AM).
                    • Gold Tier

Quote:

Hating on A-Map
                    A-Map 1.95 is still in beta, so it's slighty buggy. I suggest maybe trying with A-Map 1.92?
                    Old March 6th, 2012 (5:07 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
                      Hey, i'm newbie here... can anyone tell me how to use the season tool by Prime-Dialga for Pokemon Fire Red? :D
                      Old March 6th, 2012 (6:42 AM).

Quote:

Hating on A-Map
                        I'm just taking a stab in the dark, but it might have to do with the offsets being odd numbers. It might just be me, but usually when i make the offsets odd numbers, glitchy stuff happens.

Old March 6th, 2012 (11:24 AM).
                        No0b, but getting there.

Does anyone know the HGSS tile size (In pixels), the biggest OW I can find is 23 pixels across but i'm not sure...

ROM Hacking was getting frustrating for me. I've now stopped productions and writing the game from scratch in HTML 5.

That means it will be playable in the browser, and across multiple devices such as the iPod touch.
                          Old March 6th, 2012 (1:04 PM). Edited March 6th, 2012 by GoGoShinyDunsparce.
                          And Flounderp too!

Nature: Lax
                            Okay, here I go again with two more basic questions:

Is it possible to implement a shared double battle (such as the one alongside Steven in the Space Center in Emerald) in a LeafGreen hack?

This one may sound silly, but can you reassign ROM data space from one type of data to another - so, for example, say I wanted to remove 100 pokemon from my Emerald ROM altogether and free up their data; could I use that extra room to add additional maps?

Thanks in advance.
                            HoscoFelix (GGSD)

PS
                            Spoiler:
                            Where can I go to ask advice on the design side of things (map looks, ideas, pokemon inclusion/exclusion), rather than the actual hacking process?
                            Old March 6th, 2012 (6:40 PM).

So, I created two stairs (one up, one down) in Advance Map. The same stairs as in the Celadon Mansion and exactly the same location of the warp tile (directly before the stairs), the same movement permissions around the stairs (1's and C's), yet, when I want to go use the warp, it just behaves as an obstacle instead of stairs. I just walk against the stairs, I don't go up (or down).

How do I fix this?
                              Old March 6th, 2012 (7:03 PM).
                              Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                              • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
                              So, I created two stairs (one up, one down) in Advance Map. The same stairs as in the Celadon Mansion and exactly the same location of the warp tile (directly before the stairs), the same movement permissions around the stairs (1's and C's), yet, when I want to go use the warp, it just behaves as an obstacle instead of stairs. I just walk against the stairs, I don't go up (or down).

How do I fix this?
                              You need to use the correct sort of tile in order to use stairs. If you look at the bottom floor of Celadon Mansion the tile that is on the same space as the warp is different to all of the other tiles that look like it nearby - Instead of being tile 0x282, it is tile 0x2F1. It is necessary to have this tile as it provides the warp functionality, which you can see because it has a behaviour byte of 0x6C. There are four of these sorts of tiles which accommodate for you going up and to the right (0x6C), up and to the left (0x6D), down and to the right (0x6E) as well as down and to the left (0x6F).

Anyway, just make an extra tile which has the correct behaviour byte and place it next to the stairs :)
                              Old March 6th, 2012 (7:08 PM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
                                You need to use the correct sort of tile in order to use stairs. If you look at the bottom floor of Celadon Mansion the tile that is on the same space as the warp is different to all of the other tiles that look like it nearby - Instead of being tile 0x282, it is tile 0x2F1. It is necessary to have this tile as it provides the warp functionality, which you can see because it has a behaviour byte of 0x6C. There are four of these sorts of tiles which accommodate for you going up and to the right (0x6C), up and to the left (0x6D), down and to the right (0x6E) as well as down and to the left (0x6F).

Anyway, just make an extra tile which has the correct behaviour byte and place it next to the stairs
                                I have no idea where to find those 0x282 things, but the part I did understand explained enough. I changed one tile because the shade wasn't to my liking and that ruined my entire stairs apparently. Thank you!

Edit: I did find the 0x6C, 0x6D things, which makes my life sooooo much easier. Again, thanks!
                                Old March 6th, 2012 (7:22 PM).
                                Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                                • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
                                Quote:
                                Okay, here I go again with two more basic questions:

Is it possible to implement a shared double battle (such as the one alongside Steven in the Space Center in Emerald) in a LeafGreen hack?

This one may sound silly, but can you reassign ROM data space from one type of data to another - so, for example, say I wanted to remove 100 pokemon from my Emerald ROM altogether and free up their data; could I use that extra room to add additional maps?

Thanks in advance.
                                HoscoFelix (GGSD)

PS
                                Spoiler:
                                Where can I go to ask advice on the design side of things (map looks, ideas, pokemon inclusion/exclusion), rather than the actual hacking process?
                                It is possible, but simply extracting ASM from R/S/E and placing it in FR/LG won't be a guarantee that it will work. You will definitely have to tinker with it or code it from the ground up, which will be difficult since ASM is the most advanced form of Pokemon hacking.

Ehh... You could probably do that, but it could definitely be troublesome, especially when you're working with tools which could become garbled when they try to read the data. It would be far easier to just work with what you have. Besides, deleting 100 or so Pokemon wouldn't really provide that much free space in the end, plus it won't result in one large block of free space, but several smaller ones dotted throughout the ROM.

We have a map rating and review thread, as well as a storyline one, but unfortunately there really isn't a place to get a general consensus on a variety of things. The closest thing I can think of that would fit what you're asking for (apart from the two previous threads I linked) would be the ROM Hacking Discussions thread if you phrased things in a way so that it could become a starting point for a discussion and not necessarily pertain solely to you and your circumstances.

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Rumille View Post
                                I have no idea where to find those 0x282 things, but the part I did understand explained enough. I changed one tile because the shade wasn't to my liking and that ruined my entire stairs apparently. Thank you!

Edit: I did find the 0x6C, 0x6D things, which makes my life sooooo much easier. Again, thanks!
                                No problem, I'm glad it all worked out :)

You can see the number of the tile (0x282) by hovering your mouse over a tile on the map or in the side bar. Its number should appear in the bottom left corner of Advance Map, along with its X and Y coordinates.
                                Old March 6th, 2012 (8:49 PM).

I have just two questions:

1) Does anyone know what the largest value a variable can hold is?

2) Do the 0x8000 family of variables retain their value when a script is called to completion, or is everything erased? Essentially, are the 0x8000 family of variables permanent or not?

Old March 6th, 2012 (8:52 PM).

How would I go about making sprites for Pokemon Gold and Crystal?

Quick Reply