ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old April 16th, 2012 (3:35 AM).
  • Platinum Tier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai Fox View Post
Hi.

I'm currently making a hack, and have run into a problem. For reference I'm using Fire Red with JPAN's hacked Fire Red patch.

For some reason, Pallet Town has messed up Map Connections. When you go north to exit, the normal path out is blocked by the border tiles, and there are infinite trees like the rest of the border. Same goes down south where you would normally surf south.

I've looked at the map connections and they are fine and lined up properly. You can even get into Pallet Town by setting a warp to Route 1 and walking back down, but once you get in Pallet Town you get locked in again.

Anyone heard of this before?

Thank you
Check that the connection is perfect in both directions (ie, go to the route 1 map and check that side of the connection too). If they're both fine then delete and try the connection again, if that then doesn't work... your ROM may well be messed up.

I've heard this is a problem with the latest version of A-Map, I had the same problem for my hack. Best solution is starting again or starting from a backup.

Relevant Advertising!

Old April 16th, 2012 (4:49 AM).

I have two question hope can reply me.
    1)I have a scripting question.I use XSE,how to scripting player ow sprite change to another sprite.Like Pokemon Ash Gray Version.

2)How to change pokemon battle background?I dont know.
    Old April 16th, 2012 (7:00 AM).

While inserting my personal character of Skyler Gordon for my ROM and to create a tutorial, I encountered a problem... What's happened?

Spoiler:

Please help, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm doing everything correct!
      Old April 16th, 2012 (8:16 AM).
      Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by bensgraphicdesign View Post
        While inserting my personal character of Skyler Gordon for my ROM and to create a tutorial, I encountered a problem... What's happened?

Spoiler:

Please help, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm doing everything correct!
        It looks like the palette for the sprite didn't get changed. Try changing the palette in APE or NSE

Quote:
        Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
        I have two question hope can reply me.
        1)I have a scripting question.I use XSE,how to scripting player ow sprite change to another sprite.Like Pokemon Ash Gray Version.

2)How to change pokemon battle background?I dont know.
        1. ASM, or get JPANs hack engine

2. Click

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old April 16th, 2012 (8:20 AM).

Do I have to click anything after I've finished the palette in APE? I did everything and there is no 'Save'...
          Old April 16th, 2012 (10:22 AM).

Quote:
            Do I have to click anything after I've finished the palette in APE? I did everything and there is no 'Save'...
            Yeah, APE doesn't have a save button. Just make sure it's saved by closing and reopening it, and checking the same offset.

Old April 16th, 2012 (10:51 AM).

Any idea how I could change the palattes for the images of charizard/venasaur/blastoise/pikachu that appear in the ending sequence for fire red? They share the same palettes as their standard pokemon sprite counterparts which I've all changed so they look messed up. It appears that they point to a table of data and not the palette itself, so I'm having trouble finding the pointers. Thanks.

Quote:
              Just reload the palette offset you changed to check if it's saved. The "Replace" button is the save button basically.
              Old April 16th, 2012 (1:08 PM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Chaos0 View Post
                Hey guys, I need help!!
                I made an extension to Altering Cave, BUT when I tried to enter it, the screen just went black. Why is this? Any help on fixing this would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Chaos Control!! *warps away*
                May somebody please answer the above question?
                Thank you very much!!

Old April 16th, 2012 (2:07 PM).
                • Crystal Tier

Nature: Relaxed
                Quote:
                May somebody please answer the above question?
                Thank you very much!!

We're going to need more information on that, there's not really much we can help you with with that information alone. First, what type of tile did you put the warp on? Are you sure you have the right map ID? Is this the Vanilla game you're hacking, or is this a hack that someone else made that you're editing?

I also watch anime sometimes. Just a little.
                Old April 16th, 2012 (4:27 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by machomuu View Post
                  We're going to need more information on that, there's not really much we can help you with with that information alone. First, what type of tile did you put the warp on? Are you sure you have the right map ID? Is this the Vanilla game you're hacking, or is this a hack that someone else made that you're editing?
                  I am hacking a real emerald (U). Basically, in an unhacked emerald, you go into a really boring altering cave, find a bunch of zubats, and leave depressed. What I did was I edited the altering cave by putting a bunch of mazes, and extending the dimensions. You still enter in the cave the same way as you would in an un-hacked Emerald. I also tried creating a ladder tile in littleroot with a warp tile, but the screen blacked out as well. I'm pretty sure I have the right map ID (24.106). If there's anything else left unclear, please ask.

Old April 16th, 2012 (8:54 PM).

Quote:
                    I am hacking a real emerald (U). Basically, in an unhacked emerald, you go into a really boring altering cave, find a bunch of zubats, and leave depressed. What I did was I edited the altering cave by putting a bunch of mazes, and extending the dimensions. You still enter in the cave the same way as you would in an un-hacked Emerald. I also tried creating a ladder tile in littleroot with a warp tile, but the screen blacked out as well. I'm pretty sure I have the right map ID (24.106). If there's anything else left unclear, please ask.

The numbers need to be hex, so 24.106 would be 18.6A
                    So try warp 0x18 0x6A
                    Old April 16th, 2012 (11:54 PM).

Can somebosy give addresess for emerland backsprites? Namely backsprites of main characters and Wally) I found three of Wallies backsprites manually throught NSE 2.0 but I'm unable to locate others(
                      Old April 17th, 2012 (4:33 AM).
                      Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Teomat View Post
                        Can somebosy give addresess for emerland backsprites? Namely backsprites of main characters and Wally) I found three of Wallies backsprites manually throught NSE 2.0 but I'm unable to locate others(
                        Why don't you use one of these tools to find them ?

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                        CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                        -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                        Old April 17th, 2012 (4:53 AM).

Well... becose I didn't know about them) I used TileMolester through but it mess trainers backsprites...
                          Old April 17th, 2012 (7:12 AM).
                          • Platinum Tier

Ironically I have a problem I previously helped answered, except this time my solution won't work

A-Map connection problems again.

Spoiler:

Here, you can see the correction is fine (and I have deleted and remade it twice).

By following the 'connection offset' in A-Map I found the hex coding for the connection, which is:

(0071D9E3)

...04 00 00 00 FD FF FF FF 03 13 01 00 00 00 D7 D9 71 08 FF...

Strangely the connection offset actually points to the 01 in bold. Should it be pointing to the 04 (although the D7 D9 71 08 seems to point to 04)? I tried changing the offset in A-Map however it corrected itself back.

Is there any way to tweak this so my connection actually shows up? I'm fed up with this happening to me
                          Old April 17th, 2012 (8:33 AM). Edited April 17th, 2012 by redriders180.

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post
                            Ironically I have a problem I previously helped answered, except this time my solution won't work

Spoiler:

Here, you can see the correction is fine (and I have deleted and remade it twice).

By following the 'connection offset' in A-Map I found the hex coding for the connection, which is:

(0071D9E3)

Strangely the connection offset actually points to the 01 in bold. Should it be pointing to the 04 (although the D7 D9 71 08 seems to point to 04)? I tried changing the offset in A-Map however it corrected itself back.

Is there any way to tweak this so my connection actually shows up? I'm fed up with this happening to me

I don't know if this is the reason, but I think the Pokemon games don't like connections with odd numbers, i.e. the -3.

Quote:
                            ...04 00 00 00 FD FF FF FF 03 13

I'm wondering if this part is the one that controls the connection. 04 could be direction, 00 00 the Zero Out, FD is -3 in hex, 03 is obviously 3 in hex, and 13 is 19 in hex, which matches up with the pictures. So, I guess either change the offset to an even number, and if that doesn't work...*shudders*

Old April 17th, 2012 (1:45 PM).

Ok, so I got a bit fed up with not being able to use my bicycle. What I did on my original hack is that I deleted all the maps in the header (using the -x amount of maps) and then inserted new maps as I worked. In that method it did not work.
                              Then I tried to use an original rom, insert an extra map (3.66), point the warp in your own house to that map and use my bicycle there. That didnt work either.
                              Then I thought: Maybe it's the map. Maybe there is something wrong with something I did and I am not able to ride the bike. So I saved a few original maps (Pallet Town 3.0, 4.0 and 4.1), deleted all the original maps and inserted these 3, adjusted the warps correctly. Again: I could not ride the bike. So it's not the map. But it's not me deleting some of the maps, because that didnt work either. Creating a whole new map and inserting it had the same effect: No bike. Apparently the moment I insert a new map in an original rom, I can not use the bike in that new map. After inserting the map, I cán still use it in the old maps. I even adjust the map connections from Pallet Town to the new map, hopped on my bike in Pallet Town and rode ín the new map where I could just ride along.

I have no idea what causes this. No new map is able to handle my bike skills. I'm stumped. Anyone an idea?
                              Old April 17th, 2012 (8:21 PM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Sllew View Post
                                The numbers need to be hex, so 24.106 would be 18.6A
                                So try warp 0x18 0x6A
                                I'm not quite sure I understand. What are hex numbers? and I tried entering it, but Advance Map doesnt accept letters in map bank and map...

Old April 17th, 2012 (8:26 PM).

Quote:
                                  I'm not quite sure I understand. What are hex numbers? and I tried entering it, but Advance Map doesnt accept letters in map bank and map...

Advance Map doesn't accept hex, it only uses decimals.

Old April 17th, 2012 (9:39 PM).
                                  Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by SwiftSign View Post

Spoiler:

(0071D9E3)

I haven't worked with map connections in 3rd gen games, ever, but what might be the problem is your -3 right there.
                                    How bytes work is that when a value smaller than 00 is reached, it warps back to FF and starts counting down. So try putting FD in decimal there (253).

At least this is the way I've to calculate part of the connection data in GSC games.

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                                    CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                                    -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                                    Old April 18th, 2012 (1:20 AM).

sorry if you found this OOT
                                      my advance map won't load poke fire red
                                      why?
                                      Old April 18th, 2012 (4:29 AM).

Hey there,

I'm new to this forum so I hope this is the right place to post it:

On my personal research to reverse the mechanics in the Pokemon games I discovered that in the ROMs there is no place where the data is stored, which Pokemon learns which move on which level. Or I am just too stupid to find it...
                                        I assumed it would be stored in the base data structure of each Pokemon, but it isn't in. Accordingly, I can't find lists of possible egg-moves or TMs that can be learnt.

I hope someone, who discovered that problem already can help me out, finding the data structure for that. I hope it is not calculated by some algorhithms, that need to be extracted from the ROMs.

PS: I know that I can find that data on several wiki pages on bulbapedia. That is not the point, I want to know how the data is stored in the ROM. Thank you!
                                        Old April 18th, 2012 (5:09 AM).

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                          Advance Map doesn't accept hex, it only uses decimals.
                                          That's what I thought. So why am I being told the I gotta use hex? In any case, my warp to altering cave still doesn't work >.>

Old April 18th, 2012 (5:50 AM).

Quote:
                                            That's what I thought. So why am I being told the I gotta use hex? In any case, my warp to altering cave still doesn't work >.>

I would start by opening up the header tab, going to professional view, and looking at every offset listed there, excluding any level scripts. All offsets there should end in 0, 4, 8, or C. If they don't, that's your problem.

Old April 18th, 2012 (12:38 PM). Edited April 18th, 2012 by Chaos0.

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                              I would start by opening up the header tab, going to professional view, and looking at every offset listed there, excluding any level scripts. All offsets there should end in 0, 4, 8, or C. If they don't, that's your problem.
                                              I checked it, and my map script offset is $0023B177. So I guess that's the problem. Should I change the last 7 to a 0,4,8, or C?
                                              Thanks in advance.

*warps back* EDIT: All the other offsets are ending in the good numbers. And when I tried changing the last # to a 0, it gave my an error message that said: Value $14146314 is not a pointer!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply