ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Draconius GO
Closed Thread

Old May 29th, 2012 (9:00 AM).

I'm working on a new Oak's Lab sequence in Firered and I'd like to have the rival randomly choose one of the nine possible starters. Is it possible for the game to execute an RNG script? If so, how would this be done? ASM?

Relevant Advertising!

Old May 29th, 2012 (9:22 AM). Edited May 29th, 2012 by miksy91.
    Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Nature: Relaxed
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Light_of_Aether View Post
      I'm working on a new Oak's Lab sequence in Firered and I'd like to have the rival randomly choose one of the nine possible starters. Is it possible for the game to execute an RNG script? If so, how would this be done? ASM?
      In GSC there is a built-in scripting code for changing the value in [insert ram address here] to a random value. If no such code exists in FireRed, you could make your own way for loading a value from certain address so that it would be more random and that way he/she wouldn't pick the same pokemon each time.

Open VBA's Memory Viewer while in Oak's lab. You're bound to found values in ram memory that are changed rapidly all the time.
      Make the game check for one of them and according to the value, make the script call for nine different subscripts.

"if < 0x1C" go to...
      "if 0x1B < ... < 0x37" go to... etc.

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
      CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
      -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
      Old May 29th, 2012 (9:40 AM).
      Heiki Hecchara‌‌
      • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Light_of_Aether View Post
      You can generate a random number in FR by simply using the command 'random' with a HEX value after it. If this line was written in a script: "random 0x2", a number will be randomly chosen ranging from 0 - 2 so there are three possible outcomes. For your situation I'd advise doing something like this:

Code:
      random 0x8
      copyvar 0x4000 0x800D 
      compare 0x4000 0x0
      if 0x1 goto @RivalRecievesBulbasaur
      compare 0x4000 0x1
      if 0x1 goto @RivalRecievesCharmander
      By copying your random result to a variable (0x4000 in this example) the game will be able to tell at a glance which Pokemon they received in the future. This is useful for when you need to make different battles based on their chosen starter by using the 'compare' command and then diverging down different paths like I've shown.
      Old May 29th, 2012 (9:48 AM). Edited May 29th, 2012 by Jambo51.
      Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
        I replaced Nidoran[m] with the pokemon starly and the gender icon for starly isn't there because Nidoran[m] is genderless.

I have a image of the problem: [Image Cut for Brevity]

I tried changing gender ratio in Yape and gender icon still wont appear.
        Hmm, Interesting. The easiest way around it would simply to not use those slots, but I assume you need Starly (etc) to be in those particular slots.

I guess there IS ASM checking the species and not showing it for those 2 then. I'll see if I can find it for you.

EDIT: Found 2 sets of checks. There may be more, though.

Change 0x49718 to 00 00 00 00. This will disable the check.
        Then change 0x1218E4 to 00 00 00 00.
        Old May 29th, 2012 (9:54 AM).
        Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
          You can generate a random number in FR by simply using the command 'random' with a HEX value after it. If this line was written in a script: "random 0x2", a number will be randomly chosen ranging from 0 - 2 so there are three possible outcomes. For your situation I'd advise doing something like this:

Code:
          random 0x8
          copyvar 0x4000 0x800D 
          compare 0x4000 0x0
          if 0x1 goto @RivalRecievesBulbasaur
          compare 0x4000 0x1
          if 0x1 goto @RivalRecievesCharmander
          By copying your random result to a variable (0x4000 in this example) the game will be able to tell at a glance which Pokemon they received in the future. This is useful for when you need to make different battles based on their chosen starter by using the 'compare' command and then diverging down different paths like I've shown.
          I'd just like to point out that random 0x2 would generate a random number between 0 and 1, not 0 and 2. The parameter is the number of possibilities, so if you specified 0x2 possibilities, that would be 0 and 1.

No disrespect to Dr. Fuji of course...I just wanna make sure more problems don't get caused.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old May 29th, 2012 (2:03 PM). Edited May 29th, 2012 by Valentin.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
            Hmm, Interesting. The easiest way around it would simply to not use those slots, but I assume you need Starly (etc) to be in those particular slots.

I guess there IS ASM checking the species and not showing it for those 2 then. I'll see if I can find it for you.

EDIT: Found 2 sets of checks. There may be more, though.

Change 0x49718 to 00 00 00 00. This will disable the check.
            Then change 0x1218E4 to 00 00 00 00.
            Thanks for helping me out. Im not really good with ASM, can i change the codes in a hex editor?
            or if not can i have a ASM link please.
            Old May 29th, 2012 (8:38 PM).
            Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Valentin View Post
              Thanks for helping me out. Im not really good with ASM, can i change the codes in a hex editor?
              That's exactly what he told you to do.

Download a hex editor and change data in those two offsets he mentioned.

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
              CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
              -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
              Old May 30th, 2012 (12:06 AM).

Hello everybody!

I was recently playing a non-hacked version of Leaf Green. Just while messing around with some AR/GS coding, I lost the option to select "POKEMON" from the start menu. I'm guessing I turned off a flag that I didn't mean to.

Do you guys think I can go in on advance map or something and just flip it back?
                If so, some pointers would be nice. I've done some hacking before but never any games of this Generation.

Thanks guys,
                ~Zach
                Old May 30th, 2012 (2:22 AM).

Trying out this FR base rom but the height levels are messed up any idea what can be wrong?

base by TB Pro, Kyledove, Saurav, Alistair
                  Attached Images
                  File Type: png crap.PNG‎ (7.4 KB, 3 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                  File Type: png jesus.PNG‎ (8.5 KB, 3 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                  File Type: png PALLET TOWN.png‎ (80.3 KB, 3 views) (Save to Dropbox)

Youtube Channel.
                  Old May 30th, 2012 (2:44 AM).
                  Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                  • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by sonic99 View Post
                  Hello everybody!

I was recently playing a non-hacked version of Leaf Green. Just while messing around with some AR/GS coding, I lost the option to select "POKEMON" from the start menu. I'm guessing I turned off a flag that I didn't mean to.

Do you guys think I can go in on advance map or something and just flip it back?
                  If so, some pointers would be nice. I've done some hacking before but never any games of this Generation.

Thanks guys,
                  ~Zach
                  You should be able to get that start menu option back by making a script in XSE with the command 'setflag 0x828'. Interact with that script n-game and the option will reappear.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by vanillagfx View Post
                  Trying out this FR base rom but the height levels are messed up any idea what can be wrong?

base by TB Pro, Kyledove, Saurav, Alistair
                  In your first picture, the tile behaviours don't appear to be correct. Open the tileset editor in advance map, select the tile that is obscuring the player's head, open the 'background byte' selection bar and scroll down to/ select "Block is covered by hero".

As for the second picture, you shouldn't use the Movement Permission 0 throughout your map - C is the standard permission for regular ground.
                  Old May 30th, 2012 (5:55 AM).
                  Order Must Be Restored

Hey Everyone, I have a Question about using Unlz.gba for introduction hacking.

I've looked through tutorials and I see the number to edit the fire red hero in Unlz.gba is 341 & clicking the black/white box. However, when I go to that number in my rom, he does not appear. In an un-edited fire red rom, I went to 349(it wasn't in 341 in this one either) and I saw the fire red hero there. So what gives? All I did in my Edited rom was add pokemon and change a few maps/created scripts.

My question is, do the number for the introduction hero sprite change? I never tried to change the hero before until now in my edited rom, so I don't understand why it was not in 341 or 349.
                    Is there any way for me to find it so I can change it? It's pretty much one of the very few things preventing me from releasing a beta of my rom and I would appriciate any help in finding where it is in unlz.gba. Thank You.
                    Old May 30th, 2012 (5:59 AM).
                    Oh Hai Thar~
                    • Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by DarkRisingGirl View Post
                    Hey Everyone, I have a Question about using Unlz.gba for introduction hacking.

I've looked through tutorials and I see the number to edit the fire red hero in Unlz.gba is 341 & clicking the black/white box. However, when I go to that number in my rom, he does not appear. In an un-edited fire red rom, I went to 349(it wasn't in 341 in this one either) and I saw the fire red hero there. So what gives? All I did in my Edited rom was add pokemon and change a few maps/created scripts.

My question is, do the number for the introduction hero sprite change? I never tried to change the hero before until now in my edited rom, so I don't understand why it was not in 341 or 349.
                    Is there any way for me to find it so I can change it? It's pretty much one of the very few things preventing me from releasing a beta of my rom and I would appriciate any help in finding where it is in unlz.gba. Thank You.
                    You said you "added" POKéMON and change a few maps.
                    That would mean that you have assigned the new inserted graphics to your ROM, and they are now holding new numbers instead of their default.
                    If you haven't touched the main character yet, then I am sure it's still there, but you'll have to find it for yourself.

In my current hack (Ruby hack), I replaced the old PKMN with new poses, and of course, I need to repoint them.
                    Repointing them can change the images' order in Unlz-GBA.
                    So, before, Bulbasaur was around 800+, but now, he moved in 200+ or so.

Just look for the one you're looking for.

FC: 0061-1111-6462
                    TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Old May 30th, 2012 (6:20 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
                      You should be able to get that start menu option back by making a script in XSE with the command 'setflag 0x828'. Interact with that script n-game and the option will reappear.

In your first picture, the tile behaviours don't appear to be correct. Open the tileset editor in advance map, select the tile that is obscuring the player's head, open the 'background byte' selection bar and scroll down to/ select "Block is covered by hero".

As for the second picture, you shouldn't use the Movement Permission 0 throughout your map - C is the standard permission for regular ground.
                      I'd like to add that this flag must be given by a npc rather than a tile. Stumbled upon this problem a while ago so I thought I'd share :p
                      Old May 30th, 2012 (6:36 AM).
                      Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                      • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Mallowigi View Post
                      I'd like to add that this flag must be given by a npc rather than a tile. Stumbled upon this problem a while ago so I thought I'd share :p
                      Nope, it can be activated either way.
                      Old May 30th, 2012 (11:25 AM).
                      Order Must Be Restored

`
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post

You said you "added" POKéMON and change a few maps.
                        That would mean that you have assigned the new inserted graphics to your ROM, and they are now holding new numbers instead of their default.
                        If you haven't touched the main character yet, then I am sure it's still there, but you'll have to find it for yourself.

In my current hack (Ruby hack), I replaced the old PKMN with new poses, and of course, I need to repoint them.
                        Repointing them can change the images' order in Unlz-GBA.
                        So, before, Bulbasaur was around 800+, but now, he moved in 200+ or so.

Just look for the one you're looking for.
                        It worked! I looked thru all of the numbers & it was 448. Thank you So Much!
                        Old May 31st, 2012 (5:33 AM).

i was redirected here by and admin/mod for my request.

I am brand friggin new, and honestly, only joined to get help with hacking.

I can do just about everything except script. Making people talk is easy. There's like a thousand youtube videos on it.

My request is: Can anyone sit down with me and teach me script from the ground up.

I have been working on a completely new gen of pokemon and have been working on replacing pokemon in the pokedex with them. However, i want to have my own story events at the beginning.

I am also working on a digimon spin-off lol. It'll be awesome. I haven't found a decent digimon ROM hack yet, so i want mine to be perfect!

That's about it.
                          Old May 31st, 2012 (7:12 AM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by hughrock View Post
                            i was redirected here by and admin/mod for my request.

I am brand friggin new, and honestly, only joined to get help with hacking.

I can do just about everything except script. Making people talk is easy. There's like a thousand youtube videos on it.

My request is: Can anyone sit down with me and teach me script from the ground up.

I have been working on a completely new gen of pokemon and have been working on replacing pokemon in the pokedex with them. However, i want to have my own story events at the beginning.

I am also working on a digimon spin-off lol. It'll be awesome. I haven't found a decent digimon ROM hack yet, so i want mine to be perfect!

That's about it.
                            When you say "new gen", do you mean you're hacking a newer gen, i.e. Gen V or Gen IV, or are you "creating" your own gen, i.e adding completely nonexistant and designed by you Pokemon and region and everything, by hacking a Gen III or lower game? If it's the latter, I'd be glad to help you, so long as it's Gen III. Anything higher (or lower) I cant help you with, because I don't know how to script with it. Send me a PM if you need a scripting teacher for Gen III, otherwise, I won't be able to help.

Old May 31st, 2012 (9:13 AM).
                            • Crystal Tier

So it appears removeitem doesn't work for Key Items. How would one go about removing a key item?
                            I'm using FireRed, if that is of any consollation.
                            Old May 31st, 2012 (9:16 AM).

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
                              So it appears removeitem doesn't work for Key Items. How would one go about removing a key item?
                              I'm using FireRed, if that is of any consollation.
                              I just did a very quick test, and I was able to use removitem to remove both the Good Rod, which is a sort of minor item, and the TM Case, which is a sort of major item, and it worked fine. What are you trying to remove?

Edit: I was able to answer your question 3 minutes after you asked that...I think that's concrete proof I spend way to much time here...meh XD

Old May 31st, 2012 (9:36 AM).
                              • Crystal Tier

...nevermind, I made an extremely dumb mistake...

...that is, I left out the removeitem command. Ehe... Yeeeeeeah...

Thanks for the help anyway, aha... ^^'
                              Old May 31st, 2012 (1:58 PM).

Quote:
                                When you say "new gen", do you mean you're hacking a newer gen, i.e. Gen V or Gen IV, or are you "creating" your own gen, i.e adding completely nonexistant and designed by you Pokemon and region and everything, by hacking a Gen III or lower game? If it's the latter, I'd be glad to help you, so long as it's Gen III. Anything higher (or lower) I cant help you with, because I don't know how to script with it. Send me a PM if you need a scripting teacher for Gen III, otherwise, I won't be able to help.
                                Sorry. I meant "recreate" gens 3 and below.

Also, i attempted to IM you from your profile page, but it gives me a URL ERROR
                                Old May 31st, 2012 (11:55 PM).
                                Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
                                  I'm at a loss as to using the feature in jpan's hacked engine to change where you end up when you whiteout, can anyone explain how to set this up?
                                  Old June 1st, 2012 (6:23 AM). Edited June 1st, 2012 by redriders180.

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by itman View Post
                                    I'm at a loss as to using the feature in jpan's hacked engine to change where you end up when you whiteout, can anyone explain how to set this up?
                                    JPANs hack engine no longer provides use to the "sethealingplace" command, using three variables instead. All you have to do is use setvar on three variables, and you'll whiteout in any place you want. The variables are set up like this:

Variable 0x405A is the map and bank, laid out like 0xMMbb, with MM being the map number and bb being the bank number, in hex of course. For example, if you want to white out at map 5, in bank 6, you would use setvar 0x405A 0x0506. Or, if you wanted to white out at map 3, in bank 7, you would use setvar 0x405A 0x0307.

Variable 0x405B is the X coordinate of where you wipe out, as seen in Advance Map.

Variable 0x405C is the Y coordinate of where you wipe out, as seen in Advance Map.

All you have to do is set those variables in a level script in a Pokemon Center or any other place you want to wipe out at. Because of this, Variables 0x405A, 0x405B, and 0x405C shouldn't be used at all in other scripts.

Old June 1st, 2012 (2:04 PM). Edited June 1st, 2012 by YogiBerra.

Hello. I am making a hack of Pokemon FireRed and I have just started. I began with trying to add a new floor into the player's house in Pallet Town. So basically, instead of the player going downstairs and coming in the first floor of the house, they would come down to a hallway with another staircase at the end that takes them all the way downstairs.

So I inserted the new map by clicking the "Insert Map" shortcut at the top and I changed the size to suit my needs and then did all the mapping, changed the movement permissions, put all of my new warps in (Warps are the only events in the new map) and I linked the warp between the bottom of the stairs here, and the top of the stairs up in the player's room. I'm almost positive that everything is linked correctly and I've tried several different tile behaviors on the top and bottom of the stairs, but I'm still getting the problem.

The problem is that when I go down the stairs, I get a black screen, as if the map didn't load. The music still plays, but I'm pretty sure I can't move (even though I couldn't see if I could). I have tried linking the player's room (which is currently unchanged, though I plan to change it) to the bottom floor (which is also unchanged, but it will be changed again) and that works, but going to the created floor does not. Everything links up right in Advance Map and everything, but just not when I play through it in VBA.

Thank you to anybody who can help, I'm sorry about my long-windedness but I wanted to give as much information as possible. If you have any questions or if I should make a new topic or move this or anything, don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks again!

Edit: I am using Advance Map by the way, I forgot to mention that.
                                      Old June 1st, 2012 (4:18 PM).

Alright, I've searched the thread and I don't think my particular issue has been asked about before.

Information about what I'm using:
                                        FireRed Rom (English)
                                        VisualBoyAdvance
                                        Pokemon Editor (From the GBA Pokemon Game Editor by Gamer2020 and 0xRH) (I've also attempted YASE with no luck).
                                        A-Starter
                                        A-Trainer

Issue:
                                        I am unable to change how some pokemon evolve. To describe my issue, I am will use an Eevee.
                                        I used A-Starter to change one of my starters to an Eevee, and set my starter to hold a Moon Stone.
                                        I then used Pokemon Editor to change Eevee to evolve into Umbreon with a Moon Stone, and Espeon with a Sun Stone.

I immediately upon entering game attempt to use the Moon Stone to evolve Eevee. It begins the animation for evolution, but then halts and declares "...huh?" and I am returned to the item inventory screen.

I attempted to solve this myself by using a clean FireRed ROM, making the change to an Eevee Starter, and then use YASE to attempt the changes; this time fully deleting the evolution options for Eevee, and then reattaching them with the appropriate flags in YASE. Again, I start the ROM from a clean save and attempt immediately, before facing my rival; same issue occurs.

I continue the save file and attempt after I receive the Pokedex, as well.

Can someone please advise me of what I've done wrong, or suggest any possible fixes?
                                        Closed Thread

Quick Reply