ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old June 5th, 2012 (1:12 PM).
Green Oak

Nature: Relaxed
    Hey guys. Does a learning move modifier for GSC exist? I really need to find one. D:

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 5th, 2012 (1:24 PM).

I have two problems with my Fire Red Rom.
      First, when I add my new pokemon into the game as starters and I leave my house for the first time, the screen goes black and freezes. I've checked without my new Pokemon in the game and it doesn't freeze until I put them in. Why is this happening?
      Second, when I insert a trainer into Advance Map, I try to save it and it won't let me. I used Advance Trainer to make a new trainer, gave it a new script and used that script offset for the trainer, and it won't let me save my work on Advance Map. How do I fix this?
      Old June 5th, 2012 (2:12 PM).

Hi everyone! I'm really new into ROM hacking. Actually, I don't know much about it (I'm not even sure if my post is in the right section), but how hard can it be to translate a game into another language? Apparently, the tool Advance Text works like a charm. But my language always likes to be unique, and the case is the same when we come to writing it.

Therefore, I can write some letters without problem (ö, ü, á, é, ó), but some of them can't seem to work. I can understand why ő and ű are not supported, but what about í? It is used in at least the Spanish version as well.

So my question is: how can I get the letters Ő/ő, Ű/ű and Í/í show up in the translation? Please don't forget that I'm still a noob, so most likely I wouldn't understand too deep technical stuff.

(Also, a bonus point is given if you can find out which language I'm talking about.)
        Old June 5th, 2012 (2:25 PM).
        • Crystal Tier

How would one go about changing which flag activates which HM? Or, how does one change which order the badges appear in the trainer card?
        Old June 5th, 2012 (2:46 PM).

I'm trying to include a charmander give away script into my game....
          Anyway that isn't the problem.....
          When I receive the charmander it is called "Kachu" and this is the same when I try to modify the wild pokemon.
          For bulbasaur there isn't even a name.....

What could be the problem? am I using an outdated version?
          Old June 5th, 2012 (3:13 PM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
            Now seems like a great time to boot up your backup. It seems you messed up something inside your game that controls warping or something.
            I was worried someone would say that. I've made significant other progress on the hack, but I suppose my backup will have to do. Could size incompatibilities between maps be an issue? I would just really like to know what went wrong.
            Old June 5th, 2012 (3:27 PM).
            Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by YogiBerra View Post
              I was worried someone would say that. I've made significant other progress on the hack, but I suppose my backup will have to do. Could size incompatibilities between maps be an issue? I would just really like to know what went wrong.
              If you want, just open up the broken and fixed versions of the game, and transfer the maps and scripts between them. I'm not sure what went wrong, but I guess adding the map messed up the warping capabilities, somehow. I don't think its the size, because I've changed the size of many maps without a hitch so far.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
              How would one go about changing which flag activates which HM? Or, how does one change which order the badges appear in the trainer card?
              For Cut, Rock Smash, and Strength, all you'd have to do is open up the scripts associated with the OW, and change which flag it checks for. In regards to Surf, Fly, Waterfall, and Dive, the flags are checked in ASM, so they would have to be changed in ASM accordingly. I don't know where or how to go about doing that, however. For changing the badges, there's a picture of every badge in a line somewhere in UNLZ.gba. It shouldn't be too hard to find. All you'd have to do is export it, rearrange it, and re-import it to change which badge appears where. Although I have a nagging feeling you mean you want to change which badge appears in which slot, i.e. make the ThunderBadge appear in the first slot, but keep the capabilities of it setting the able-to-fly flag which can only be done in the third spot. As for that, I don't know how to do it either. Much luck!

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old June 6th, 2012 (1:38 AM).
              » inactive

Nature: Quiet
                I need vbalCbEx6.ocx in order to run Sappy. I wonder if anyone can send me a private message or something since the official download from vbaccelerator is not longer aviable.
                Old June 6th, 2012 (1:46 AM).
                • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                For Cut, Rock Smash, and Strength, all you'd have to do is open up the scripts associated with the OW, and change which flag it checks for. In regards to Surf, Fly, Waterfall, and Dive, the flags are checked in ASM, so they would have to be changed in ASM accordingly. I don't know where or how to go about doing that, however. For changing the badges, there's a picture of every badge in a line somewhere in UNLZ.gba. It shouldn't be too hard to find. All you'd have to do is export it, rearrange it, and re-import it to change which badge appears where. Although I have a nagging feeling you mean you want to change which badge appears in which slot, i.e. make the ThunderBadge appear in the first slot, but keep the capabilities of it setting the able-to-fly flag which can only be done in the third spot. As for that, I don't know how to do it either. Much luck!
                Haha yeah, I figured it wouldnt be as straightforward as changing a few bytes. oooh well.
                Old June 6th, 2012 (5:16 AM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by MadThrasher View Post
                  Hi everyone! I'm really new into ROM hacking. Actually, I don't know much about it (I'm not even sure if my post is in the right section), but how hard can it be to translate a game into another language? Apparently, the tool Advance Text works like a charm. But my language always likes to be unique, and the case is the same when we come to writing it.

Therefore, I can write some letters without problem (ö, ü, á, é, ó), but some of them can't seem to work. I can understand why ő and ű are not supported, but what about í? It is used in at least the Spanish version as well.

So my question is: how can I get the letters Ő/ő, Ű/ű and Í/í show up in the translation? Please don't forget that I'm still a noob, so most likely I wouldn't understand too deep technical stuff.

(Also, a bonus point is given if you can find out which language I'm talking about.)
                  OK, so I found a character table for them and got Í/í to work. Meanwhile, I figured out that there are many, many useless letters to replace with Ő/ő and Ű/ű. So now the only question I have: how do I edit the tiles for these letters? What tools do I need? I haven't been able to find information related to this. Thanks in advance!
                  Old June 6th, 2012 (9:56 AM).
                  ASM is my life now...

Nature: Timid
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Midnight Bear View Post
                    Okay, so I've been learning some asm recently, and, I must say - people make it out to be a lot harder than it really is. It's a bit annoying to remember the syntax, but using it is easy, or at least, far easier than I was expecting.

But, I do have a little question - does pushing registers actually set the value in the register to zero? That may be a silly question, but as far as I can tell, all it does is put the data into the stack.

The reason why I ask is that, I have a routine that actually requires pushing the registers in the middle of it (parts of it need manipulating a lot of registers at once), and I didn't want to have to have a ton of lines of "sub rx,rx,rx" if I don't need them.
                    Nope. Pushing a register keeps the value intact, it only stores it in the stack.
                    To clear a register, there's a clean, fast way that don't waste cycles, that is by doing
                    LSL rX, rX, #0x20
                    or
                    MOV rX, #0
                    This way you clear the register content.

~Sonic1

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
                    Old June 6th, 2012 (4:33 PM).
                    Heiki Hecchara‌‌
                    • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by MadThrasher View Post
                    OK, so I found a character table for them and got Í/í to work. Meanwhile, I figured out that there are many, many useless letters to replace with Ő/ő and Ű/ű. So now the only question I have: how do I edit the tiles for these letters? What tools do I need? I haven't been able to find information related to this. Thanks in advance!
                    This tutorial shows you how to change the font of letters, but you should be able to use to completely change the letters as well.
                    Old June 7th, 2012 (8:05 AM).

Quote:
                      I don't know what method you use, But I just open A-map, click the purple puzzle piece, then go to Picture>Save Tileset 1. Save it somewhere, open it in paint, add the graphics you need, making sure the COLORS MATCH THE ORIGINAL, then put it back in A-map with Picture>Load Tileset 1.

I recommend A-Map 1.95 for this process, since whenever I use A-Map 1.92, it exports the tileset in a strange file type.
                      Thanks for reply , now I knew how to do it. But now I have a new problem. I using Pokemon Fire Red Rom , I need to create 2 region at the same rom. So, I use Kanto region to made 1, then I want to use Map no 2( The Island 1/2/3 world map) , The map only have a few town and route. Example I use Pallet Town create into the Map no 2 , but I test at the Pallet Town open worldmap in VBA, hero head also at the Pallet Town at Kanto map , I only know how to changing a town/route Pos X/Y
                      in the map , how do I change hero head to the Map no 2 Pallet Town when i open worldmap at game? Thanks ~
                      Old June 7th, 2012 (8:30 AM).
                      Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
                        Quote:
                        Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
                        Thanks for reply , now I knew how to do it. But now I have a new problem. I using Pokemon Fire Red Rom , I need to create 2 region at the same rom. So, I use Kanto region to made 1, then I want to use Map no 2( The Island 1/2/3 world map) , The map only have a few town and route. Example I use Pallet Town create into the Map no 2 , but I test at the Pallet Town open worldmap in VBA, hero head also at the Pallet Town at Kanto map , I only know how to changing a town/route Pos X/Y
                        in the map , how do I change hero head to the Map no 2 Pallet Town when i open worldmap at game? Thanks ~ :)
                        I think you're talking about connection settings, assuming I understand what you're saying...

In a-map 1.92 I believe one of the pictures (next to show sprite, etc...) is the connection settings. It's self explanatory from there, you just change where you want the map to connect to.
                        Old June 7th, 2012 (12:39 PM).

I'm trying to change the music for a trainer battle. However, there doesn't seem to be any indication of what song plays with trainers, no matter what theme plays. How would one go about this sort of change?
                          Old June 7th, 2012 (4:51 PM).
                          Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
                            Quote:
                            Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
                            in the map , how do I change hero head to the Map no 2 Pallet Town when i open worldmap at game? Thanks ~
                            I understand...you're wanting to change what map appears when you open the World Map. I had a similar problem, since my game has multiple regions, and the best way to do it is with a hex editor, I'm afraid. I'll link to a tutorial you'd find useful, but I'll sum up what you can do to avoid using it.

Which map appears is based on the name (yes, name) of the current route you're on. Anything with an index from 0x58 to 0x8E ("Pallet Town" to "Power Plant") Automatically end up showing Map 1. It's down in the programming that, if the index is less than or equal to 0x8E, display map 1. For the other maps, it uses a list, making Maps 2-4 easier to customize. Tutorial for the above is here, courtesy of Mastermind X

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old June 7th, 2012 (6:13 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
                              I'm fairly new to ROM hacking, so forgive me if this is a simple question, but is there a way to change the criteria of the stars on the Trainer Card? For example, if I wanted it to give you a star for finding a certain set of items instead of the Pokémon Contests in Pokémon Emerald, could I do that?
                              Old June 7th, 2012 (9:20 PM).
                              Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
                                Quote:
                                Originally Posted by dragonfyre173 View Post
                                I'm fairly new to ROM hacking, so forgive me if this is a simple question, but is there a way to change the criteria of the stars on the Trainer Card? For example, if I wanted it to give you a star for finding a certain set of items instead of the Pokémon Contests in Pokémon Emerald, could I do that?
                                That would require ASM as far as I know. Since you're new to rom hacking I would suggest understanding how to script and getting comfortable with hex first. :)
                                Old June 8th, 2012 (2:31 AM).

I've been making my game for a while now, using FR and I just started importing my new Pokemon into the game (I've done it before without any problems) but after I import them and try to open that same Rom on Advance Map, it says "ERROR: (EHeaderError) Error on getting Tileset Header, MapBankHeader seems to be corrupted." and I can understand what that means, I just don't understand why this happens after I import my Pokemon. Can someone please help?
                                  Old June 8th, 2012 (3:11 AM).
                                  » inactive

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                                    I've been making my game for a while now, using FR and I just started importing my new Pokemon into the game (I've done it before without any problems) but after I import them and try to open that same Rom on Advance Map, it says "ERROR: (EHeaderError) Error on getting Tileset Header, MapBankHeader seems to be corrupted." and I can understand what that means, I just don't understand why this happens after I import my Pokemon. Can someone please help?
                                    You probably took a wrong offset by mistake and screwed up your ROM. Fixing this can be both, difficult and time consuming so I suggest to take a clean one and do it again.
                                    Old June 8th, 2012 (3:22 AM).
                                    Typhlosion Lv 99 Typhlosion Lv 99 is offline

Nature: Bashful
                                      hey everyone,i hacking firered. I spent allday to hacking that rom.When i test my hack,it works fine.But,a problem started.The game reset itself when my character was walking.I dont know how to fix it.I am stress!!i dont want to start my hack from scratch again!.I hope someone can fix it.Sorry for my bad english.
                                      Old June 8th, 2012 (3:58 AM).
                                      » inactive

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Typhlosion Lv 99 View Post
                                        hey everyone,i hacking firered. I spent allday to hacking that rom.When i test my hack,it works fine.But,a problem started.The game reset itself when my character was walking.I dont know how to fix it.I am stress!!i dont want to start my hack from scratch again!.I hope someone can fix it.Sorry for my bad english.
                                        I already told you in another post but well, better start from a fresh ROM and re-insert your stuff again. Be careful with offsets and already existing content and you'll be fine. Oh and by the way, finding and fixing the problem which causes the game to freeze will probably take more time than restarting your project.
                                        Old June 8th, 2012 (4:16 AM). Edited June 8th, 2012 by Jambo51.
                                        Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Slike View Post
                                          I'm trying to change the music for a trainer battle. However, there doesn't seem to be any indication of what song plays with trainers, no matter what theme plays. How would one go about this sort of change?
                                          If you're on FR, the reason there's no indication is that there is no table. FR only has 6 or 7 bits of battle music, and so, assigns the music using ASM. There's 2 ways around it:
                                          1 - Use Mastermind_X's var music switching hack (it works, but is useless for switching more rapidly since you can't put a setvar at the start of a trainerbattle script).
                                          2 - You can use one of my routines which creates a table which allows definitions of regional music and trainer class based music (so you could define Team Rocket to have a battle theme, for example).

While we're at it, it's also possible to define more custom encounter music. I'll add the code in question to this post when I get to my PC.

Hope this helps.
                                          Old June 8th, 2012 (4:22 AM).
                                          destinedjagold destinedjagold is offline
                                          Oh Hai Thar~
                                          • Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Typhlosion Lv 99 View Post
                                          Like Rokou stated, you must have overwritten an existing data in the ROM that causes the glitch.
                                          But more details to the glitch might be helpful.
                                          Were you walking and about to enter a new map?
                                          Were you walking and then you stepped on a script tile?

FC: 0061-1111-6462
                                          TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Old June 8th, 2012 (5:16 AM).
                                          Typhlosion Lv 99 Typhlosion Lv 99 is offline

Nature: Bashful
                                            so,you are destinedjagold?i am fan of your hack,Ruby Destiny Rescue Ranger.That the best hack!
                                            Mm,back to the problem.the problem happen when player walking normally (not when enter map or anything else).That also happen to my Emerald hack.
                                            Closed Thread

Quick Reply