ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old June 9th, 2012 (2:09 PM).
» inactive

Nature: Quiet
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get a hex generator so I can get the hex values for items in FR? I'm making a gym leader and I can't get him to give the right items because I don't have the hex value for it and I'm struggling with finding one. Thank you.
    Hex is basic knowledge but well, try this.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 9th, 2012 (7:08 PM). Edited June 9th, 2012 by Sagiri.

SpadeEdge16, if you have XSE downloaded, you can search for the file "stditems.rbh" and it has a full list. It's actually a header file, for a shortcut to using them in scripts, but I tend to use it simply as documentation.

Okay, so if you saw my post before I edited it, you know that I was asking a question about 'swi #0x6' and it not working. Well, I figured out what was going on - VBA SDL H itself was interfering with it, due to a breakpoint I put there.
      Old June 9th, 2012 (9:14 PM).

My question is how to (in Emerald) change how at the beginning, Prof. Birch is talking to you, shows you the Pokemon, asks you for your name, ect. Is there any way to change what he says in there? Because I have his name and the first towns name different.
        Old June 9th, 2012 (9:23 PM).
        Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Zoroark173 View Post
          My question is how to (in Emerald) change how at the beginning, Prof. Birch is talking to you, shows you the Pokemon, asks you for your name, ect. Is there any way to change what he says in there? Because I have his name and the first towns name different.
          Try using A-text if you want to change the text.....

There's also some tools that can change what pokemon the proffessor will release like A-intro editor.

But I haven't tested it on emerald yet. (Only did it on FireRed.)

Hope this helps. :D
          Old June 9th, 2012 (9:43 PM). Edited June 9th, 2012 by Zoroark173.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by tajaros View Post
            Try using A-text if you want to change the text.....

There's also some tools that can change what pokemon the proffessor will release like A-intro editor.

But I haven't tested it on emerald yet. (Only did it on FireRed.)

Hope this helps. :D
            Thanks, but where can I download this? Can I have a link to it please. Also, did you just change your avatar right after you posted... It was a Zoroark, but now it is an eye.

EDIT: Just found it, and it doesn't work for Emerald.

EDIT 2: Problem was that I needed an Emerald ini, which I found one on the forums. It isn't complete though, but it shall serve its purpose.
            Old June 10th, 2012 (1:23 AM).
            The Faltine

An idea just struck me. Would it be possible to change FireRed's Pokedex to Ruby's? I know nothing about how it can be done, but would it be possible & practical to do it?
              Old June 10th, 2012 (1:29 AM).
              Oh Hai Thar~
              • Silver Tier

Nature: Careful
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Tropical Sunlight View Post
              An idea just struck me. Would it be possible to change FireRed's Pokedex to Ruby's? I know nothing about how it can be done, but would it be possible & practical to do it?
              It's possible, but I forgot who can help you with that, but I'm pretty sure Chaos Rush knows the guy who can rearrange the order of the PokéDex.

FC: 0061-1111-6462
              TSV: 1364(X), 0790(OR)

Old June 10th, 2012 (1:42 AM).
              Hi I'm dawg

@destinejagold

I'm pretty sure it was jambo51 but couldn't you rearrange the pokedex order with a hacking tool?
                Old June 10th, 2012 (4:08 AM).
                The Faltine

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post

It's possible, but I forgot who can help you with that, but I'm pretty sure Chaos Rush knows the guy who can rearrange the order of the PokéDex.
                  I'm sorry, I should've been more specific - I meant the Pokedex layout.
                  Old June 10th, 2012 (5:21 AM).

Hello everyone,

I'm actually on a Fire Red rom hack, and I want my new game to be able to bypass the 510 EVs limit (so every single stat can go up to 255).

Can someone help me with this?

Thank you very much.
                    Old June 10th, 2012 (7:49 AM).

Gah, this has got to be super basic, but how do you edit a script you've already made and compiled? I have XSE linked into A-map but whenever I click 'open script' it comes up looking different (with a lot of '--------------- instead of the #dynamic 0x800D etc.) and even if I write the whole thing out again with the edits I want in and press compile, it says it's compiled a thee bottom but if I then close and reopen the script the same '-------- stuff is back with no edits. I pressed 'decompile' just trying different things but it didn't do anything noticeable.

Thanks for being patient with this n00b.
                      Old June 10th, 2012 (1:08 PM).

Can someone please tell me how to edit pokemon crystal sprites, i am a newbie, I just want the charizard sprite in crystal replaced by the one from silver since it's much cooler, if someone does it for me il give £10 paypal :D
                        Old June 10th, 2012 (1:34 PM). Edited June 10th, 2012 by PokemonPurple.

I need some help...

Whenever I walk into a warp the screen just goes black and freezes, help?

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Shmixel View Post
                          Gah, this has got to be super basic, but how do you edit a script you've already made and compiled? I have XSE linked into A-map but whenever I click 'open script' it comes up looking different (with a lot of '--------------- instead of the #dynamic 0x800D etc.) and even if I write the whole thing out again with the edits I want in and press compile, it says it's compiled a thee bottom but if I then close and reopen the script the same '-------- stuff is back with no edits. I pressed 'decompile' just trying different things but it didn't do anything noticeable.

The reason the script looks different is because you compiled it...
                          Old June 10th, 2012 (2:10 PM). Edited June 10th, 2012 by tajaros.
                          Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by PokemonPurple View Post
                            I need some help...

Whenever I walk into a warp the screen just goes black and freezes, help?
                            What do you mean about this warp in A-map I assume....

Well here's your problem you might haven't inserted digits I'll just give you an example...

To warp no: 0
                            Map Bank : 0
                            Map: 0

You might have let your warp untouched but If that's not your problem you might have messed up your ROM....

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Ummm... I need help practically this is about scripting how can you a battle script continuous after losing to a battle?

Well continuing script when winning is easy how about losing?

How can you overwrite the pokecenter script\house script that will warp you there after losing to a battle?

Ex.

Does this something to do with these?

trainerbattle 0x9 0x1 0x? <- What should I put into this? well in the first battle aginst your rival the scripts continues after losing\winning the battle the code there "trainerbattle 0x9 0x1 0x3" But when you use this PROF.OAK teaches you how to battle lol.

Oh and also in wildbattle how to do this?

Wildbattle 0x? 0x1 0x? <- What should you input here? Well I think this one's more important for me to know than the trainerbattle....

Hope this doesn't include any ASM for me to understand quickly....
                            Old June 10th, 2012 (2:42 PM).

Quote:

It's because, one of the things that compiling does is that it defines the offsets. They are no longer 'dynamic' - they are actually associated to a particular offset within the ROM.

In other words, the labels you gave them, such as '@start', no longer apply. They are now numbers.

As for the lines, they are just XSE's way of separating different parts of decompiled scripts. It's not actually messed up in game.
                              Old June 10th, 2012 (4:03 PM).
                              Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
                                Quote:
                                _______________________________________________________________________________________________

Ummm... I need help practically this is about scripting how can you a battle script continuous after losing to a battle?

Well continuing script when winning is easy how about losing?

How can you overwrite the pokecenter script\house script that will warp you there after losing to a battle?

Ex.

Does this something to do with these?

trainerbattle 0x9 0x1 0x? <- What should I put into this? well in the first battle aginst your rival the scripts continues after losing\winning the battle the code there "trainerbattle 0x9 0x1 0x3" But when you use this PROF.OAK teaches you how to battle lol.
                                I think trainerbattle 0x9 is the only one that lets you continue, even if you lose, and that's with 0x3 in the ? spot. Since you don't want that, you'll need to do something with ASM

Quote:
                                Oh and also in wildbattle how to do this?

Wildbattle 0x? 0x1 0x? <- What should you input here? Well I think this one's more important for me to know than the trainerbattle....

Hope this doesn't include any ASM for me to understand quickly....
                                Are we still on the subject of not fainting? In general, the first parameter is the species, and the third parameter is the item held. So a battle with a level 5 Bulbasaur holding an Ultra Ball is:

wildbattle 0x1 0x5 0x2

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old June 10th, 2012 (4:06 PM).
                                Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                  I think trainerbattle 0x9 is the only one that lets you continue, even if you lose, and that's with 0x3 in the ? spot. Since you don't want that, you'll need to do something with ASM

Are we still on the subject of not fainting? In general, the first parameter is the species, and the third parameter is the item held. So a battle with a level 5 Bulbasaur holding an Ultra Ball is:

wildbattle 0x1 0x5 0x2
                                  Thanks but in wildbattle what i meant to say was what will I input there to make the script continue after losing...
                                  Old June 10th, 2012 (4:21 PM).
                                  Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
                                    Quote:

If you're wanting to decompile the LAST script you compiled, you can place the #clean compiler directive after the #dynamic 0xblah.

This will clean the last script you compiled from the ROM before inserting the current one in its place. I'm pretty sure it only works with the last script you compiled though, and only if you compiled it this time you opened XSE (although that may be wrong).

The only other way's to find it in a hex editor and simply blank the length of the script you want to remove with 0xFFs.

Quote:
                                    Thanks but in wildbattle what i meant to say was what will I input there to make the script continue after losing...
                                    You can't. Wildbattle simply is not designed to allow for you losing and NOT whiting out. However, there may be a little trick open to you. There is an actual script hidden in the background of the game which executes the actual whiting out when it is required. In theory, you could put an ASM routine there to "catch" the loss with a certain variable set. Or potentially, hack the result routines to make the game think you won the battle, when you actually lost.

One thing is for sure, you would HAVE to heal the Pokémon on your team before you continued, since there are checks in the game which execute every 6 steps (or so) which white you out if your entire team has fainted.
                                    Old June 10th, 2012 (4:29 PM).
                                    Hi I'm dawg

@jambo51

thanks but how about in trainerbattle how can make the script continue after losing without using the oak battle tutorial?
                                      Old June 10th, 2012 (6:33 PM).

Thanks so much for your explanations, guys! Is there really no way to edit scripts once you compile them though, or even re-use the offset? I'm probably missing something...
                                        Old June 10th, 2012 (6:42 PM).
                                        Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                                          Thanks so much for your explanations, guys! Is there really no way to edit scripts once you compile them though, or even re-use the offset? I'm probably missing something...
                                          You can re-edit them in changing text and everything ex.

Here's a decompiled script....

Quote:
                                          '---------------
                                          #org 0x162EFE
                                          trainerbattle 0x0 0xA4 0x0 0x817973A 0x817975F
                                          msgbox 0x8179777 0x6 '"I dislike you."
                                          end

'---------
                                          ' Strings
                                          '---------
                                          #org 0x17973A
                                          = Get Lost!

#org 0x17975F
                                          = This isn't fair.

#org 0x179777
                                          = I dislike you.
                                          Then just replace the offsets with pointers and remove the unecessary text like

'---------
                                          ' Strings
                                          '---------
                                          '---------------
                                          '"I dislike you."
                                          etc....

For me editing scripts is really easy don't know what's your problem...
                                          It's maybe because your a begginer right?
                                          Old June 10th, 2012 (6:53 PM).
                                          DarkCharizard77 DarkCharizard77 is offline

how would i add a whole new sprite to the game, i want the sprite to be like a second rival so how will i make it appear in differnet locations.

P.S this is for Fire Red
                                            Old June 10th, 2012 (7:01 PM).
                                            Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
                                              Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by DarkCharizard77 View Post
                                              how would i add a whole new sprite to the game, i want the sprite to be like a second rival so how will i make it appear in differnet locations.

P.S this is for Fire Red
                                              First, you need to add an overworld sprite of your choice for the rival. Use OWE to do that. Then in Advance Map simply add a new person event and change the picture number to the one of your new OW. lastly, add scripts to involve him as your rival.
                                              Old June 10th, 2012 (7:07 PM).
                                              Hi I'm dawg

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by DarkCharizard77 View Post

P.S this is for Fire Red
                                                I'll prefer if you use NamelessSpriteEditor(NSE) just download it on google then after that load your ROM and you can see Sprites there and just edit them all with your hearts desire...

Then you can put them in the game By simple opening A-map and then add new person event and select the sprite no. and whala!

There's your sprite... :D
                                                Old June 10th, 2012 (7:10 PM).
                                                PokemonPurple PokemonPurple is offline

Can someone help me? I'm using A-Map, and I want to warp to a cave, but it just makes the screen black and freezes it.
                                                  Closed Thread

Quick Reply