ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old June 19th, 2012 (7:43 AM). Edited June 19th, 2012 by Robert Conley.
GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
    [QUOTE=redriders180;7218583]The bridge tiles need to have a background byte of 00, so that they cover the hero when they walk normally under it, and not $20, block is covered by hero. The bridge itself needs to be covered in 3C movement permissions, of course. The upper part of the bridge, on both sides of the bridge, needs to have movement permissions of 10. Example in the spoiler.

Spoiler:

Did all that still getting the problem of the hero walking over instead of under.

EDIT: NEVER MIND I FIGURED OUT THE THING I WAS DOING WRONG WAS NOT BUILDING THE BLOCK WITH A BACKGROUND.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 19th, 2012 (1:15 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by KF View Post
      Thanks!

Can someone write me or explain me how to write a script for a Move Tutor that learns Surf to Pikachu ONLY and ONLY with max happiness?
      Wouldn't you be able to use the scripts of the Blast Burn/Frenzy Plant/Hydro Pump tutor, but change the values to Pikachu and Surf?

Out of curiosity, how exactly does the coding for the rival work, with how he uses different pokemon depending on the starter you choose? Curious because I kinda would like to explore the possibility of multiple 'rivals'.
      Old June 19th, 2012 (1:25 PM).
      Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
        Send a message via AIM to redriders180
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
        Wouldn't you be able to use the scripts of the Blast Burn/Frenzy Plant/Hydro Pump tutor, but change the values to Pikachu and Surf?
        The move tutors teach only certain moves, it's not like an actual variable. You have to change the move tutor data accordingly.

Quote:
        Out of curiosity, how exactly does the coding for the rival work, with how he uses different pokemon depending on the starter you choose? Curious because I kinda would like to explore the possibility of multiple 'rivals'.
        Every single possible battle is an individual battle in A-Map. The scripts check which starter you picked, and then loads the corresponding battle. In Firered, I think the "Rival" trainer class automatically loads the rival name chosen in the beginning of the game as the name of the battler. So, if you picked the name "Gary" in Oak's intro, all trainers with the trainer class "Rival" would have the name "Gary" show up after it, no matter what you set as the name.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old June 19th, 2012 (2:53 PM).
        Divider of Zero

Nature: Relaxed
          I copied and pasted the Pokecenter script word for word from a clean Fire Red ROM onto my hacked ROM and when I tried to access it in-game, it worked up to the part where she says "Thank you for waiting, we've restored your Pokemon to full health."

After that text finishes loading, the game freezes and spasms out on colors (Shown below). What is the cause of this?

Spoiler:
          Old June 19th, 2012 (4:12 PM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Teh Blazer View Post
            I copied and pasted the Pokecenter script word for word from a clean Fire Red ROM onto my hacked ROM and when I tried to access it in-game, it worked up to the part where she says "Thank you for waiting, we've restored your Pokemon to full health."

After that text finishes loading, the game freezes and spasms out on colors (Shown below). What is the cause of this?

Spoiler:
            You need to copy both level scripts for PokeCenters as well. One of them is a special that is ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED, and the other one is data for sethealingplace.

Old June 19th, 2012 (5:52 PM).

I've tried looking through the forums here, but haven't found an answer to the question, which I will pose here:

What are the maximum dimensions for over world trainer sprites in the 3rd gen games? I know they're probably different between R/S/E and FR/LG, so I might need both. However, I'm mainly concerned with Emerald, since that is the base my friend wants to use for a hack. I've volunteered to do some graphics work for her, so I would like to know before I get to creating sprites.

Sorry if I'm seeming newbish, but I really would like to know. (and yes, I'm aware that the in-battle sprite dimensions are 64x64. I need over-worlds.)

(Also yes, I've seen Metapod23's tutorial for inserting, as well as Chesu's guid to making the sprites. Neither actually seems to say the dimensions I can use.)
              Old June 19th, 2012 (7:26 PM).
              Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Draconicsoul View Post
                I've tried looking through the forums here, but haven't found an answer to the question, which I will pose here:

What are the maximum dimensions for over world trainer sprites in the 3rd gen games? I know they're probably different between R/S/E and FR/LG, so I might need both. However, I'm mainly concerned with Emerald, since that is the base my friend wants to use for a hack. I've volunteered to do some graphics work for her, so I would like to know before I get to creating sprites.

Sorry if I'm seeming newbish, but I really would like to know. (and yes, I'm aware that the in-battle sprite dimensions are 64x64. I need over-worlds.)

(Also yes, I've seen Metapod23's tutorial for inserting, as well as Chesu's guid to making the sprites. Neither actually seems to say the dimensions I can use.)
                The largest I've personally used is 64x64 for overworlds, but most don't need to be that big, and can be 32x32. So the dimensions you can use are: 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, and any mixtures of the numbers (like 16x32, etc...). HOWEVER, in Fire Red there is an ingame OW (the ship, #153 I believe) that is 64x128. So I guess you can make them up to 128x128...but that's HUGE.
                Old June 19th, 2012 (7:29 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Draconicsoul View Post

I think, conventionally, 64x64 is the max for OWs also. However there's one sprite in both RSE and FRLG that is 64x128, but I don't know how that works. It might be something internally done, with ASM and tilemaps, but I dont know for sure

Old June 19th, 2012 (7:49 PM).
                  Legendary Spriter

Nature: Bold
                    hello every one i have a small problem which is i want to edit the battle background for pokemon ruby i searched a lot and a lot but i didn't find any helpful tutorial or even any tutorial to hack it please may any one help me.i want to change this:

to something like this:
                    Hacks I'm Currently Making

Join My Hacking Team(D.A.T.S)

My deviantART

Old June 19th, 2012 (7:53 PM).
                    Back to ROM hacking. :D

Nature: Adamant
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by ADLFM14 View Post
                      hello every one i have a small problem which is i want to edit the battle background for pokemon ruby i searched a lot and a lot but i didn't find any helpful tutorial or even any tutorial to hack it please may any one help me.i want to change this:

to something like this:
                      http://pkmnhackersonline.com/battle-backgrounds/

There ya go. :)
                      Old June 19th, 2012 (10:58 PM). Edited June 19th, 2012 by timebroken.

Hey guys, I've got a question about changing some sprites. I want to change a lot of different sprites in my hack, so I'm needing something faster than individually finding the sprite I want changed in unLZ. So, I'm wondering if there is some way to get a dump of all the sprites in my ROM, so I can sift through them at my own rate.

Also, when first starting the ROM, you get a message that says, "The internal battery has run dry..." etc. How would I go about changing that? (What do I need to do to change the text?)

Thanks for the help.
                        Old June 20th, 2012 (12:36 AM).
                        Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
                          Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to tajaros
                          Quote:
                          Originally Posted by timebroken View Post
                          Hey guys, I've got a question about changing some sprites. I want to change a lot of different sprites in my hack, so I'm needing something faster than individually finding the sprite I want changed in unLZ. So, I'm wondering if there is some way to get a dump of all the sprites in my ROM, so I can sift through them at my own rate.

Also, when first starting the ROM, you get a message that says, "The internal battery has run dry..." etc. How would I go about changing that? (What do I need to do to change the text?)

Thanks for the help.
                          I bet your using VBA try using NO$GBA to see if it works....

And in sprites try using WICHU's Sprite Editor but as for trainers I haven't heard of a trainer sprite editor so you'll have to do them manually in UNLZ...
                          Old June 20th, 2012 (6:28 AM).
                          Legendary Spriter

Nature: Bold
                            sorry guys i have another thing i want to ask about which is i want to know the command in this script
                            Spoiler:
                            '---------------
                            #org 0x15B596
                            lock
                            faceplayer
                            checkflag 0x4DD
                            if 0x1 goto 0x815B5BD
                            playsong 0x1C2 0x0
                            msgbox 0x8190728 0x4 '"Welcome, challenger!\nI'm SIDNEY o..."
                            trainerbattle 0x3 0x105 0x0 0x8190823
                            goto 0x815B5C7

'---------------
                            #org 0x15B5BD
                            msgbox 0x819086D 0x4 '"Well, listen to what this loser ha..."
                            release
                            end

'---------------
                            #org 0x15B5C7
                            setflag 0x4DD
                            call 0x81A0693
                            release
                            end

'---------------
                            #org 0x1A0693
                            applymovement 0xFF 0x81A0853
                            waitmovement 0x0
                            sound 0x8
                            setmaptile 0x6 0x1 0x344 0x0
                            setmaptile 0x6 0x2 0x345 0x0
                            setmaptile 0x0 0x2 0x2DE 0x1
                            setmaptile 0x1 0x2 0x2DD 0x1
                            setmaptile 0x2 0x2 0x2DE 0x1
                            setmaptile 0x3 0x2 0x2DD 0x1
                            setmaptile 0x4 0x2 0x2DE 0x1
                            setmaptile 0x8 0x2 0x2DD 0x1
                            setmaptile 0x9 0x2 0x2DE 0x1
                            setmaptile 0xA 0x2 0x2DD 0x1
                            setmaptile 0xB 0x2 0x2DE 0x1
                            setmaptile 0xC 0x2 0x2DD 0x1
                            special 0x8E
                            return

'---------
                            ' Strings
                            '---------
                            #org 0x190728
                            = Welcome, challenger!\nI'm SIDNEY of the ELITE FOUR.\pI like that look you're giving me.\nI guess you'll give me a good match.\lThat's good! Looking real good!\pAll right! You and me, let's enjoy a\nbattle that can only be staged here\lin the POKéMON LEAGUE!

#org 0x190823
                            = Well, how do you like that? I lost!\nEh, it was fun, so it doesn't matter.

#org 0x19086D
                            = Well, listen to what this loser has\nto say.\pYou've got what it takes to go far.\nNow, go on to the next room and enjoy\lyour next battle!

'-----------
                            ' Movements
                            '-----------
                            #org 0x1A0853
                            #raw 0x14 'Delay5
                            #raw 0x14 'Delay5
                            #raw 0xFE 'End of Movements

which show this picture before the battle begin:
                            Spoiler:

and thnx for helping
                            Hacks I'm Currently Making

Join My Hacking Team(D.A.T.S)

My deviantART

Old June 20th, 2012 (6:46 AM).

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                              5. The old OWs are probably still in the same location, so it's still reading it from there. Did you try placing the OW, changing the picture number to the newly added sprite, saving, and running the game to see if it would work? Just because A-map doesn't show it, doesn't mean the game won't.

7. ASM is a very hands-on process, so most of the compilers just compile the ASM to a .bin file, which you then manually insert with a hex editor. A large amount of ASM also deals with changing byte values at different locations, something that also can be done in a hex editor. You have to be willing to delve head-first into the game, and not rely on tools when it comes to ASM.
                              5)Ok, its fine.

7)If I use the .bin file open in hex editor and copy all bytes then paste into Fire Red Rom Free space after that I use XSE to callasm to the free space offset I put then it will work?

New problem

8) ASM will work with R/S/E Rom too?

9) I have a problem with battle background, I edited to grass battle background tileset and tilemap, but I can't edit the grass background palletes, how to edit it?
                              Old June 20th, 2012 (7:25 AM).

Okay, I'm back. I'm not sure about the sizes of the over world Trainers, but I'll work with that when I get to it. Need to figure out whether they're some form of tile set or not... but that is for another day, once I get these programs up and running.

See, I'm running Mac OSX 10.7.4, and am attempting to use Wine to get the programs for hacking to work, since there aren't really any tools built specially for Macs. However, I've only gotten two of them to work, Advance Map and unLZ.

I've been trying to get A-Trainer, Free Space Finder, Overworld Editor RE, and XSE to function, and have made prefixes of them with the Wine binaries as included in WineBottler. I managed to get AMap and unLZ to work through this method, but not the others listed. I'm rather new at this whole coding thing, but as I've said earlier, I have a friend I want to help as much as possible.

My question is this: Is there any way I can get these programs to run? (I've noticed one thread that says HackMew's XSE should work under Wine, but I can't get it to.)

also for some reason the buttons in Advance map are upside down as are the maps when I'm in Movement Permissions and Event mode but i'm chalking that up to my running on a mac.
                                Old June 20th, 2012 (8:11 AM).

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by ADLFM14 View Post
                                  sorry guys i have another thing i want to ask about which is i want to know the command in this script
                                  Spoiler:
                                  '---------------
                                  #org 0x15B596
                                  lock
                                  faceplayer
                                  checkflag 0x4DD
                                  if 0x1 goto 0x815B5BD
                                  playsong 0x1C2 0x0
                                  msgbox 0x8190728 0x4 '"Welcome, challenger!\nI'm SIDNEY o..."
                                  trainerbattle 0x3 0x105 0x0 0x8190823
                                  goto 0x815B5C7

'---------------
                                  #org 0x15B5BD
                                  release
                                  end

'---------------
                                  #org 0x15B5C7
                                  setflag 0x4DD
                                  call 0x81A0693
                                  release
                                  end

'---------------
                                  #org 0x1A0693
                                  applymovement 0xFF 0x81A0853
                                  waitmovement 0x0
                                  sound 0x8
                                  setmaptile 0x6 0x1 0x344 0x0
                                  setmaptile 0x6 0x2 0x345 0x0
                                  setmaptile 0x0 0x2 0x2DE 0x1
                                  setmaptile 0x1 0x2 0x2DD 0x1
                                  setmaptile 0x2 0x2 0x2DE 0x1
                                  setmaptile 0x3 0x2 0x2DD 0x1
                                  setmaptile 0x4 0x2 0x2DE 0x1
                                  setmaptile 0x8 0x2 0x2DD 0x1
                                  setmaptile 0x9 0x2 0x2DE 0x1
                                  setmaptile 0xA 0x2 0x2DD 0x1
                                  setmaptile 0xB 0x2 0x2DE 0x1
                                  setmaptile 0xC 0x2 0x2DD 0x1
                                  special 0x8E
                                  return

'---------
                                  ' Strings
                                  '---------
                                  #org 0x190728
                                  = Welcome, challenger!\nI'm SIDNEY of the ELITE FOUR.\pI like that look you're giving me.\nI guess you'll give me a good match.\lThat's good! Looking real good!\pAll right! You and me, let's enjoy a\nbattle that can only be staged here\lin the POKéMON LEAGUE!

#org 0x190823
                                  = Well, how do you like that? I lost!\nEh, it was fun, so it doesn't matter.

#org 0x19086D
                                  = Well, listen to what this loser has\nto say.\pYou've got what it takes to go far.\nNow, go on to the next room and enjoy\lyour next battle!

'-----------
                                  ' Movements
                                  '-----------
                                  #org 0x1A0853
                                  #raw 0x14 'Delay5
                                  #raw 0x14 'Delay5
                                  #raw 0xFE 'End of Movements

which show this picture before the battle begin:
                                  Spoiler:

and thnx for helping
                                  The script doesn't control the image showing up, it's controlled by the map header itself. Click on the "header" tab, and under "Fight Type", there will be a few options, four of them being "Elite Four". That's what makes the VS. sprites show up, although I don't know if they're set or not, i.e, if they will only display the E4, or the sprite of anyone you battle. I do know there's a nice tutorial around here with some ASM that makes that VS sprites occur anywhere you want, but I don't have a link, so you need to find it yourself if you want it.

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
                                  5)Ok, its fine.

7)If I use the .bin file open in hex editor and copy all bytes then paste into Fire Red Rom Free space after that I use XSE to callasm to the free space offset I put then it will work?

New problem

8) ASM will work with R/S/E Rom too?

9) I have a problem with battle background, I edited to grass battle background tileset and tilemap, but I can't edit the grass background palletes, how to edit it?
                                  7. You got it! I believe that if it's thumb code, you add one to the offset, but I could be wrong.

8. Yes, it will work on all GBA games. Of course, registers and stuff will be different from version to version, so take that into account.

9. I've tried editing the backgrounds too, and I can't find the palette anywhere, even by searching with APE. I've encountered a few palettes like this, that don't seem to exist, so I don't know the offset for the palette or anything.

Old June 20th, 2012 (8:33 AM).

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by tajaros View Post
                                    I bet your using VBA try using NO$GBA to see if it works....

And in sprites try using WICHU's Sprite Editor but as for trainers I haven't heard of a trainer sprite editor so you'll have to do them manually in UNLZ...
                                    I don't think you know what I mean. I'm wanting to dump all the sprites from my ROM, into .png files into a folder.

Also, I want to figure out how to change the text I specified. How do I find the individual scripts in the game?
                                    Old June 20th, 2012 (10:32 AM).

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by timebroken View Post
                                      I don't think you know what I mean. I'm wanting to dump all the sprites from my ROM, into .png files into a folder.

Also, I want to figure out how to change the text I specified. How do I find the individual scripts in the game?
                                      Do you mean every single sprite in the entire game? Or just specific sprites, like Pokemon and Trainers?

Use A-text to change the text, or a hex editor.

Old June 20th, 2012 (10:52 AM).

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                        Every single possible battle is an individual battle in A-Map. The scripts check which starter you picked, and then loads the corresponding battle. In Firered, I think the "Rival" trainer class automatically loads the rival name chosen in the beginning of the game as the name of the battler. So, if you picked the name "Gary" in Oak's intro, all trainers with the trainer class "Rival" would have the name "Gary" show up after it, no matter what you set as the name.

Ah, thanks, I didn't realize that the starter you choose can be used as a variable. 0_o

But I didn't realize that the rival name could be called on by the trainer class. That's pretty cool, actually.
                                        Old June 20th, 2012 (10:58 AM).

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
                                          Ah, thanks, I didn't realize that the starter you choose can be used as a variable. 0_o

But I didn't realize that the rival name could be called on by the trainer class. That's pretty cool, actually.
                                          Well, when you select, say, Bulbasaur, the script might set variable 0x4000 to 0x0. If you pick Charmander, it might set variable 0x4000 to 0x1, and so on. The script then compares 0x4000 to the possible values, and then calls the corresponding battle.

One of the "Champion" trainer classes does the same thing in Firered. I believe there are two, and the second one doesn't do this, so you can have Champions that aren't named after the rival.

Old June 20th, 2012 (12:48 PM).
                                          Self Proclaimed Expert

Hello, I'm back with another question, though this one might be a bit more complicated than my last one. I've been trying to find out how to insert new music into a rom and then have it play when you face a certain trainer. I've managed to actually get the music into the rom using tutorials on here, but I'm having trouble with actually getting it to play during a battle. Obviously, I've spent some time looking around for how to do this, but I can't seem to find anything on it. So does anybody know how I'd get a different kind of music to play when you face a certain trainer?
                                            Old June 20th, 2012 (12:51 PM).
                                            Robert Conley Robert Conley is offline

Location: The Anti Spiral Homeworld
                                              Aside from gimp or photoshop are there any good image editing software options out there? I can't afford photoshop and with gimp I keep running into palette issues. I've heard of paint.net but don't know if it's any good. I ask because so many tutorials seem to require loading and exporting palettes in photoshop and gimp doesn't seem to be able to match this abilty too well.
                                              Old June 20th, 2012 (12:56 PM).
                                              Tangrowthjelly Tangrowthjelly is offline

I kept on running into problems with unLZ so I tried using Nameless Sprite Editor. It's worked really well for inserting sprites but one day it randomly said that one of my sprites wasn't compressed and that it had ran into an error. Now it doesn't let me change it and the game freezes up when trying to use that sprite. Help please?
                                                Old June 20th, 2012 (4:06 PM).
                                                thanethane98 thanethane98 is offline
                                                Self Proclaimed Expert

Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by Robert Conley View Post
                                                  Aside from gimp or photoshop are there any good image editing software options out there? I can't afford photoshop and with gimp I keep running into palette issues. I've heard of paint.net but don't know if it's any good. I ask because so many tutorials seem to require loading and exporting palettes in photoshop and gimp doesn't seem to be able to match this abilty too well.
                                                  Irfanview should be able to handle palettes without giving you errors. Plenty of tutorials use that instead of Photoshop, actually. I'm not quite sure how well it works as an actual image editor, but it is definitely a useful tool for the things that specifically mentioned.
                                                  Old June 20th, 2012 (5:00 PM).
                                                  Robert Conley Robert Conley is offline

Location: The Anti Spiral Homeworld
                                                    Quote:
                                                    Originally Posted by thanethane98 View Post
                                                    Irfanview should be able to handle palettes without giving you errors. Plenty of tutorials use that instead of Photoshop, actually. I'm not quite sure how well it works as an actual image editor, but it is definitely a useful tool for the things that specifically mentioned.
                                                    I tried IrFanview but it can't seem to load palette files saved from VBA, which some things, changing Oak or Intro Heroes and the world map, specifically call for. At least following the tutorials on here they do.

Sponsored Links