ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old July 4th, 2012 (5:17 PM).

Can someone assist me with inserting a pokemon battle onto a custom map. By battle i do mean like when you find mewtwo, moltres, etc etc. I have it working up to where running away or beating it or losing all make the pokemon go away but if I catch it I can battle it again. Anybody got a quick fix?

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 4th, 2012 (6:31 PM).
    Self Proclaimed Expert

Nature: Relaxed
      Hey everyone, looks like I'm back with yet another question! While going through and test my rom, I noticed that whenever I step into tall grass the animation for it uses the old tall grass. Is there a way that I can edit this? If so, how?
      Old July 4th, 2012 (7:34 PM).

Is it possible to edit and make new types of Pokemon ?

i was thinking of bring back ??? type arceus to Pokemon black and giving it a proper name

Old July 4th, 2012 (11:13 PM).

I need some help with mapping. I changed up Veridian City a bit and everything was fine. I made it so that the connection to Route 2 was more to the right, but it was working out fine, as were the other two connections. However, when I entered the city from either the north or south entrances, some of the map tiles would mess up and change to a different tile.

(I can't link in pictures yet, but I'll attach it, so refer to that picture.

That's the northern entrance. For the southern entrance I just redrew the map tiles, and it fixed the problem. The same thing worked for the northern entrance as well, but map tiles that I drew from the secondary map tile set (tile set 7) still glitch out. Then for some reason one of the sprites gets moved to where that one is. I got rid of all the map scripts, then just added some person sprites, and it only moves the sprite over when I have 9 or more sprites.

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong?
          Attached Images
          File Type: png Untitled.png‎ (97.4 KB, 14 views) (Save to Dropbox)
          Old July 5th, 2012 (1:38 AM).
          Has a tendency to figure things out

Nature: Quirky
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by JBawls View Post
            Can someone assist me with inserting a pokemon battle onto a custom map. By battle i do mean like when you find mewtwo, moltres, etc etc. I have it working up to where running away or beating it or losing all make the pokemon go away but if I catch it I can battle it again. Anybody got a quick fix?
            do you have a checkflag/setflag command anywhere in your script? i believe you can put one at the end to prevent it from reappearing.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Scorpiopt View Post

i was thinking of bring back ??? type arceus to Pokemon black and giving it a proper name
            this question was answered for me a page back, i think.
            iirc, you can't add completely new types without some form of ASM, unless you want to overwrite another existing type.
            but i believe the ???-type still exists in BW (at least through the move Curse), so maybe there's an editor tool that will let you "bring out" the type for using.
            Old July 5th, 2012 (4:32 AM).
            Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Nara567 View Post
              Thanks for the answers. But I still have more questions. :cer_confused:

-Regarding JPAN's patch, is there a way to patch it without removing all of the scripts?
              -Regarding the FR 649 patch, when finished, would it have to be patched to a clean ROM?

-More mapping stuff; I've created several maps and set the border block to the black tile, but when I see it ingame, it's a different tile. How would I fix this?
              JPANs patch also includes a special tool that adds the ASM into a ROM hack that's already been extensively modified. The FR 649 Patch will probably have to be patched to a clean ROM, unless they make a similar tool. Most black tiles, especially in the outdoor tileset, aren't actually black, but transparent. You need to make a palette have a completely black color that isn't in the first slot to make black border blocks. Indoor Palette 5 is what Indoor maps use to make black border blocks.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by thanethane98 View Post
              Hey everyone, looks like I'm back with yet another question! While going through and test my rom, I noticed that whenever I step into tall grass the animation for it uses the old tall grass. Is there a way that I can edit this? If so, how?
              Open up NSE Classic, go to Tools>Bookmarks, and one of the bookmarks contains all in-game grass animations. NSE Classic also has Ruby's, while NSE 2.X doesn't, so if you're hacking Firered, NSE 2.X can be used instead. The frames are somewhat out of whack, and mixed with others, so just use your intuition on which order the go in.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Scorpiopt View Post

The ??? Type no longer exists, as of BW. It isn't even programmed anywhere. Curse is now a Ghost-type move. To add the ??? Type to your game, you'll need extensive ASM.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by aablmd82 View Post
              I need some help with mapping. I changed up Veridian City a bit and everything was fine. I made it so that the connection to Route 2 was more to the right, but it was working out fine, as were the other two connections. However, when I entered the city from either the north or south entrances, some of the map tiles would mess up and change to a different tile.

(I can't link in pictures yet, but I'll attach it, so refer to that picture.

That's the northern entrance. For the southern entrance I just redrew the map tiles, and it fixed the problem. The same thing worked for the northern entrance as well, but map tiles that I drew from the secondary map tile set (tile set 7) still glitch out. Then for some reason one of the sprites gets moved to where that one is. I got rid of all the map scripts, then just added some person sprites, and it only moves the sprite over when I have 9 or more sprites.

Anyone have any ideas what's wrong?
              Only two tilesets can appear on the screen at a given time. The only way to remedy this problem is to use gatehouses, and remove connections between then, or places tiles that appear only in Tileset 2 either six spaces away from the top or bottom of a map, or eight spaces away from the left or right of a map (This is because the GBA's screen is wider than it is tall). If you absolutely have to have those tiles there, give both maps the same tileset 2, and transfer tiles from the original tileset 2.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old July 5th, 2012 (5:01 AM).

i was going through the threads when i saw Jambo's 649 patch where he added the new abilities and i thought it would be fun to figure out how they worked so i could make my own.

Thing is, i want to know how abilities actually work in game. Like if u had a pokemon with lightning rod, do all electric moves make a check to see if a pokemon has the ability then target that pokemon? also i'm assuming that some, if not all, abilities call routines that are compiled in the ROM as well, where are these routines located and when are they called in battle? also, how are the abilities that are used outside of battle (like illuminate) work?

Old July 5th, 2012 (7:28 AM). Edited July 5th, 2012 by LugiaMZ.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                  I don't know about the Champion Vs. screen, but the elite four vs screens are controlled under the "header" tab. Changing the "Fight Type" to one of the four Elite Four settings will make the battle have a Vs Screen, I believe. But I think it only works in certain circumstances, i.e the battler you're currently battling with is an Elite Four member, with an Elite Four sprite, and possibly only one of the original "Elite Four" trainer numbers. I have some ASM in my game, however, that lets you call the Vs Screen animation at will in any trainer battle, although I don't have the ASM on hand, and I can't find the tutorial either...I think it was either erased, or put somewhere else, or I just missed it in my pass through of the tutorial section.
                  You said you have ASM in your game, then can you find the ASM code from your game? You say you can call the Vs Screen animation at will in any trainer battle mean all trainer have a own VS Screen ( Example like before battle with Brock have a big Brock face at VS Screen animation )? Or can call E4/Champion VS Screen to any trainer?

PS: Can you give me your hacked rom? if you have uploaded. I wan to try it . I guess it will nice to play.

I have many question hope have someone can reply me.

1) Have any webpage have Pokemon anime song/music at midi format?

2) I seen a tutorial( link:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=170502) It insert 80x80 pixel DP sprite to rom. I tried before but when I test at game it looks like a crashed things. But the tutorial dosen't. How do I insert 80x80 pixel Pokemon/Trainer sprite correctly?

3) After I beat the a trainer, then I make a script to rebattle with him. But I try in game I talk to him it nothing happen. How to make a same trainer battle can battle many time(Like E4)?

4) When I use PokecryGUI to import cry at Fire Red Rom, I use F3,F4,F5(The Raikou,Entei,Suicune Poke ID) to import a wave sound, then I test in game It no problem. After that I try to battle with Venesaur, Charizard, Blatoise, Pigeot. They cry sound is same the cry I imported early. How do I fix it?

5) I use Advance map, I create a person in my game, when I test in game goto near the person,

Then I open my bag,

After that I close my bag,

I became the npc that I created, but pallet is same with the npc, why? When I after battle also have a same problem. I don't want to be the npc, How do I fix this problem?

PS: Sorry for my bad english .
                  Attached Images
                  File Type: png c1.png‎ (3.3 KB, 99 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                  File Type: png c2.png‎ (3.4 KB, 99 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                  File Type: png c3.png‎ (3.3 KB, 98 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                  Old July 5th, 2012 (7:49 AM).
                  • Crystal Tier

Is the NPC's movement set to Face Down? If so, change it to No Movement.
                  Old July 5th, 2012 (9:39 AM).
                  Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
                    Quote:
                    The FR 649 Patch will probably have to be patched to a clean ROM, unless they make a similar tool.
                    They? THEY!? You are right though, the 649 patch will need to be installed on a clean ROM. It's far too interlinked to be able to split it up now.
                    Old July 5th, 2012 (10:39 AM).

Quote:
                      Only two tilesets can appear on the screen at a given time. The only way to remedy this problem is to use gatehouses, and remove connections between then, or places tiles that appear only in Tileset 2 either six spaces away from the top or bottom of a map, or eight spaces away from the left or right of a map (This is because the GBA's screen is wider than it is tall). If you absolutely have to have those tiles there, give both maps the same tileset 2, and transfer tiles from the original tileset 2.
                      Alright cool, thanks. I switched over the tileset and that worked out great, but the sprite still moves. It moves the 7th sprite on the map, and I can't figure out how to stop it.
                      Old July 5th, 2012 (11:34 AM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by LugiaMZ View Post
                        You said you have ASM in your game, then can you find the ASM code from your game? You say you can call the Vs Screen animation at will in any trainer battle mean all trainer have a own VS Screen ( Example like before battle with Brock have a big Brock face at VS Screen animation )? Or can call E4/Champion VS Screen to any trainer?

PS: Can you give me your hacked rom? if you have uploaded. I wan to try it . I guess it will nice to play.

I have many question hope have someone can reply me.

1) Have any webpage have Pokemon anime song/music at midi format?

2) I seen a tutorial( link:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=170502) It insert 80x80 pixel DP sprite to rom. I tried before but when I test at game it looks like a crashed things. But the tutorial dosen't. How do I insert 80x80 pixel Pokemon/Trainer sprite correctly?

3) After I beat the a trainer, then I make a script to rebattle with him. But I try in game I talk to him it nothing happen. How to make a same trainer battle can battle many time(Like E4)?

4) When I use PokecryGUI to import cry at Fire Red Rom, I use F3,F4,F5(The Raikou,Entei,Suicune Poke ID) to import a wave sound, then I test in game It no problem. After that I try to battle with Venesaur, Charizard, Blatoise, Pigeot. They cry sound is same the cry I imported early. How do I fix it?

5) I use Advance map, I create a person in my game, when I test in game goto near the person,

Then I open my bag,

After that I close my bag,

I became the npc that I created, but pallet is same with the npc, why? When I after battle also have a same problem. I don't want to be the npc, How do I fix this problem?

PS: Sorry for my bad english .
                        0. No, I can't find the ASM at all, it's hidden somewhere in the massive quantities of bytes in my hack, and I don't know how to find it. And my hack isn't released yet v.v
                        1. I'm sure there are. I found a midi file of the Pokemon theme song, but it was so long ago, I don't have the site. Just try googling around for what you want.
                        2. Technically speaking, that tutorial doesn't teach you how to insert 80x80 sprites...it teaches you how to resize an 80x80 sprite into a 64x64 sprite, and then insert it. Putting in ANYTHING that's 80x80 won't work, because sprites are 64x64 MAX. Just resize the 80x80 ones, and use Wichu's Sprite Editor
                        3. When a battle is completed, a flag is set, saying that trainer has been battled. From that point on, if that flag is set, scripts will skip over any trainerbattle command and go straight to what's after. If you want to clear that flag, use "settrainerflag 0xtrainer_number". XSE has it backwards...settrainerflag clears the flag, while cleartrainerflag sets the flag.
                        4. Can't help you there, I've never worked with cries.
                        5. I believe someone else has already answered that

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Jambo51 View Post
                        They? THEY!? You are right though, the 649 patch will need to be installed on a clean ROM. It's far too interlinked to be able to split it up now.
                        My apologies, Jambo >_< I thought it was a group effort

Quote:
                        Alright cool, thanks. I switched over the tileset and that worked out great, but the sprite still moves. It moves the 7th sprite on the map, and I can't figure out how to stop it.
                        Check any level scripts, to see if the movesprite2 command is in any of them. That's usually what's responsible for permanently moving OWs to different places in-game

Old July 5th, 2012 (2:06 PM).
                        The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker

Alright I've got a weird problem. I'm editing the intro animation in Emerald with May/Brendon on their bike, Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza. After Groudon and Kyogre appear their cry is played. I searched for Groudon's cry in a hex editor (95010000) and found it at (16E0C4) then changed it without a problem. But, I can't seem to find where Kyogre's cry is, I tried searching for 94010000 and others but I can't seem to find it. Can anybody help me out?

Old July 5th, 2012 (2:21 PM).

Whenever I use advance map to change wild pokemon only 1 or 2 pokemon appear at the same lvl. Why?
                            Old July 5th, 2012 (3:19 PM).

Quote:
                              Check any level scripts, to see if the movesprite2 command is in any of them. That's usually what's responsible for permanently moving OWs to different places in-game
                              I've already tried deleting all level scripts and everything, but it still moves the sprite. I don't think that that's the problem anyways because even if I change the person event number, it still moves the sprite. It also only moves the sprite when I enter the map through the north connection. If I enter through a warp, the sprite doesn't get moved there.

Oh, and when I move off the screen and back onto the screen, the sprite goes back to its normal location.
                              Old July 5th, 2012 (4:08 PM).

Quote:
                                I've already tried deleting all level scripts and everything, but it still moves the sprite. I don't think that that's the problem anyways because even if I change the person event number, it still moves the sprite. It also only moves the sprite when I enter the map through the north connection. If I enter through a warp, the sprite doesn't get moved there.

Oh, and when I move off the screen and back onto the screen, the sprite goes back to its normal location.
                                What map and bank is it? I'd like to take a closer look at what might be causing the problem.

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by Narutofan9991 View Post
                                Whenever I use advance map to change wild pokemon only 1 or 2 pokemon appear at the same lvl. Why?
                                It's possible that A-Map didn't save all the wild Pokemon data. Which version are you using?

Old July 5th, 2012 (4:28 PM).
                                Intermediate Digidestined

Nature: Calm
                                  So I'm having a little issue with Gary's overworld at the intro of Fire Red. When you choose your name, then Gary's name it shows your overworlds at the top left, right? Well I've inserted the new Player OW and it shows up just fine, then I inserted Gary's, and it shows up just fine when you're playing the actual game, but when you choose Gary's name the old OW still shows up. Is there a second sprite for Gary that I'm missing? I couldn't find it in NSE or unlz
                                  I'm Epitaph and I plan on releasing the first full-fledged Digimon hack of Pokemon Fire Red. We're getting close to the first release so come check it out in the Progressing hacks, and see how you can help us with the project.
                                  Old July 5th, 2012 (6:06 PM).

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Epitaph93 View Post
                                    So I'm having a little issue with Gary's overworld at the intro of Fire Red. When you choose your name, then Gary's name it shows your overworlds at the top left, right? Well I've inserted the new Player OW and it shows up just fine, then I inserted Gary's, and it shows up just fine when you're playing the actual game, but when you choose Gary's name the old OW still shows up. Is there a second sprite for Gary that I'm missing? I couldn't find it in NSE or unlz
                                    Gary's intro sprite is, for one reason or another, different than his OW sprite. NSE 2.X has it in bookmarks...offset is at 0x3E1980, palette at 0xE98004, and it's compressed.

Old July 5th, 2012 (6:32 PM). Edited July 5th, 2012 by JBawls.

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Darkrai Lv.1000 View Post
                                      do you have a checkflag/setflag command anywhere in your script? i believe you can put one at the end to prevent it from reappearing.
                                      Ignore my last post please I managed to correct myself by setting flags to the correct flag and person ids. Now the sprite DOES go away but not immediately after battle... If I walk out of view then its gone for good but if I don't walk away I can still rebattle... Any ideas?
                                      Old July 5th, 2012 (9:06 PM).
                                      Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
                                        Quote:
                                        Ignore my last post please I managed to correct myself by setting flags to the correct flag and person ids. Now the sprite DOES go away but not immediately after battle... If I walk out of view then its gone for good but if I don't walk away I can still rebattle... Any ideas?
                                        Use a hidesprite command and then set the flag that should work....

hidesprite 0x(person event no. in hex)

that's it! :D
                                        Old July 5th, 2012 (10:25 PM).

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by tajaros View Post

Use a hidesprite command and then set the flag that should work....

hidesprite 0x(person event no. in hex)

that's it! :D
                                          It seems I am getting the same error. Here is as it appears on xse...

'---------------
                                          #org 0x1624F5
                                          special 0x187
                                          compare LASTRESULT 0x2
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x81A7AE0
                                          special 0x188
                                          lock
                                          faceplayer
                                          checksound
                                          cry 0x96 0x2
                                          preparemsg 0x8177F9F '"Mew!"
                                          waitmsg
                                          waitcry
                                          pause 0x14
                                          playsong 0x2 0x2
                                          waitkeypress
                                          setwildbattle 0x96 0x5 0x0
                                          setflag 0x807
                                          special 0x138
                                          waitstate
                                          clearflag 0x807
                                          special2 LASTRESULT 0xB4
                                          compare LASTRESULT 0x1
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8162558
                                          compare LASTRESULT 0x4
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8162561
                                          compare LASTRESULT 0x5
                                          if 0x1 goto 0x8162561
                                          setflag 0x232
                                          waitfanfare
                                          end

'---------------
                                          #org 0x1A7AE0
                                          release
                                          end

'---------------
                                          #org 0x162558
                                          clearflag 0x232
                                          goto 0x4169236

'---------------
                                          #org 0x162561
                                          setvar 0x8004 0x96
                                          goto 0x81A9236

'---------------
                                          #org 0x1A9236
                                          fadescreen 0x1
                                          hidesprite 0x96
                                          fadescreen 0x0
                                          bufferpokemon 0x0 0x8004
                                          msgbox 0x81A63C4 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"The [buffer1] flew away!"
                                          release
                                          end

'---------
                                          ' Strings
                                          '---------
                                          #org 0x177F9F
                                          = Mew!

#org 0x1A63C4
                                          = The [buffer1] flew away!
                                          Old July 5th, 2012 (11:04 PM).

Nature: Careful
                                            I'm back with more questions. ; All of these are on a FR ROM.

So, I'm making maps and test them out in the game, and click the world map. However, instead of saying that I was on Four Island, where I was, it told me I was in the Tanoby Ruins. It would also explain why there's a picture of them every time I enter a map of the sort. I don't exactly know when this happened. Could someone help?

Another one, tying into one I asked before. I'm using JPAN's hacked engine for the walking script, but I don't know how to set the number of steps needed to activate an event. After 500 steps, I want a message to appear.

Third question, is there a way to split where you start depending on gender, similar to RSE?
                                            Old July 6th, 2012 (1:19 AM).
                                            Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
                                              Quote:
                                              It seems I am getting the same error. Here is as it appears in XSE..

Script cut for brevity
                                              The setflag 0x807 is more important than you think it is. There is a level script associated with every such legendary wild battle. Look for it in Articuno and Zapdos' locations. You'll see a script which executes when flag 0x807 is set which is after the completion of the battle.
                                              Old July 6th, 2012 (5:05 AM).
                                              I know who you are.

Hey guys.

Here's what is up. I want to know how to make a script run when you step on a certain tile? I want to make events that run like, when you attempt to leave a certain area a message appears, and an applymovement turns the player around and sends them back a space. Thing's like that. I want tovknow this so I can script events without the player having to talk to someone.

I use Pokescript. That would be preferable please BUT XSE is also ok, although it is not my prefferred method. Thanks!

Demo coming soon!
                                                Old July 6th, 2012 (5:45 AM).
                                                Dark Energy is back in action! ;)

Location: A small country in the North
                                                  Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by DaleH771 View Post
                                                  Hey guys.

Here's what is up. I want to know how to make a script run when you step on a certain tile? I want to make events that run like, when you attempt to leave a certain area a message appears, and an applymovement turns the player around and sends them back a space. Thing's like that. I want tovknow this so I can script events without the player having to talk to someone.

I use Pokescript. That would be preferable please BUT XSE is also ok, although it is not my prefferred method. Thanks!
                                                  See how trigger events are programmed, as simple as that. Trigger events occur when stepping on a tile where the event is programmed to be and it points to a similar kind of script people events do when they're talked to.

If AdvanceMap can't do what you're looking for, you're going to have to repoint the event data to blank space yourself (with a hex editor) and add the wanted trigger events in there.

Fixing bugs in a ROM hack
                                                  CP of encountered pokemon in GO

Learn how to hack GB/C games:

Check my GameBoy/Color hacking videos in Youtube
                                                  -The video set uses Pokemon Silver (U) rom for demonstrations
                                                  Closed Thread

Quick Reply