ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old July 9th, 2012 (4:58 AM).
Glory To Arstotzka

Nature: Quiet
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kozzztya View Post
    Yes, but if I want to look at a script that uses a string of pokedex or from any menu, I can't find this in AMap.
    These strings aren't in scripts, they are stored in the ROM and directly referenced by the ASM when required.

In order to find and modify them - you should use Advance-Text to search for the string (but remember that a lot of the dex strings have buffers for the species name and such) and then modify by changing the text using hex, and/or inserting a string using XSE and repointing the old string.

If you mean the dex entries themselves, there are editors which allow for the editing of them.

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 9th, 2012 (6:02 AM). Edited July 9th, 2012 by Aquamentis.
    Touhoumon Master

Nature: Timid
      I am planning on editing the amount of trainers in the Sevii Islands in FireRed using A-Trainer, increasing their amount to match something similar to Kanto's trainer size. I already have confirmed that I have the required free space to hold the vast increase, but I would like some confirmation if this is a safe idea.

There are a lot of blank spaces that do not appear to have any usage in the main game, and often are using only level 5-pokemon for their list. I would like to know if it is safe to use these slots in A-trainer for the new trainers, since I would not be repointing the trainer table itself, just the trainers data.
      Spoiler:

*Edited to show what I mean by blank spaces (starting with the 004 trainer)
      Old July 9th, 2012 (8:38 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
        Well, if you think about it, you'll be replacing tiles one by one no matter what you do. If you want, just clear out the entire Tileset, and begin from scratch that way. You don't have to use the existing Tileset as a template either. You can also make the amount of tiles you can use larger in A-Map 1.95.
        Is there anyway just to upload a whole new one if I created one in Photoshop?
        Old July 9th, 2012 (10:13 AM).
        Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by Taji34 View Post
          Is there anyway just to upload a whole new one if I created one in Photoshop?
          First, you need to index it to sixteen colors. Edit one of the palettes between number 7 and 12 (6 and 12 if Ruby) to match those sixteen colors exactly. Export the tileset, copy the custom tileset on top, and import the tileset back in. Then you have to make all your tiles in the normal way. That's pretty much the only way to do it.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old July 9th, 2012 (3:23 PM).

[email protected] keeps popping up when I open Advance Trainer.

I read to just click 'Ignore' but all I get is Retry Cancel and Close. Retry/cancel keep bringing up the the error and close obviously closes the tool.
            Any suggestions?(Using Windows 7 if that's relevant at all)
            Old July 9th, 2012 (5:05 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by CaptBrown View Post
              [email protected] keeps popping up when I open Advance Trainer.

I read to just click 'Ignore' but all I get is Retry Cancel and Close. Retry/cancel keep bringing up the the error and close obviously closes the tool.
              Any suggestions?(Using Windows 7 if that's relevant at all)
              Judging from the error message, it seems to be a problemm with LZ77...basically, sprites are messed up. Have you replaced any sprites?

Old July 9th, 2012 (6:41 PM).

Hey guys, I've been hacking ROMs for not too long now, and I'm still learning about it, and I'm using the tutorials and everything to try and teach it to myself, and I was wondering if anyone who's really good at hacking has ever thought to create a quiz of some kind for those who are new to hacking. Because like I said, I am and as I've been learning I keep thinking that having something to test my knowledge before putting it into use would be very helpful.
                Old July 9th, 2012 (6:52 PM).
                What is out there?

Nature: Adamant
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by FrozenInfernoZX View Post
                  Does anybody know why the tiles that contain water tiles keep appearing like that? I am following MikeMatt15 tutorial where I assign those tiles those colors, but it does not appear as its normal palettes like the others in game.
                  I'm new to rom hacking.
                  Just reposting this. The attachment is in the other post.
                  I have another question. Is it possible to reorder the Pokedex? I remember somewhere that some things needs to be repointed, but I'm not entirely sure?
                  Old July 9th, 2012 (7:02 PM).

Quote:
                    Just reposting this. The attachment is in the other post.
                    I have another question. Is it possible to reorder the Pokedex? I remember somewhere that some things needs to be repointed, but I'm not entirely sure?
                    I have more experience in regards to your Pokedex question...it's quite a hassle, actually. There's a program called "Sebbe's Pokedex Editor 2008" that has the easiest interface, but the names are preprogrammed...basically, if you changed the names of something, it doesn't show up in this program. There's another program, the name of which escapes me, that has a less-than-optimal interface, but it'll display names that have been changed.

ADDITIONALLY, some other things need to be edited. When you change the order with these programs, it just changes the order of the names. Pokedex data, such as entries, height, weight, and species name DO NOT GET CHANGED. Meaning, if you moved Quilava to slot one on the dex, it would display Bulbasaur's dex entry, and it would be called the SEED Pokemon. Take this into account if you decide to edit...I ended up changing the order of pretty much everything in the Dex, and now I have to restore all the Dex stuff.

Old July 9th, 2012 (11:37 PM). Edited July 9th, 2012 by amcolash.

Well, I posted this as a thread a bit ago, but I suppose that my question is more than simple but apparently not a full thread worthy. Either way, I have had quite a few problems with making a new custom world map, and the 3 or 4 tutorials I have followed have all resulted in some type of error. I was wondering if anyone was successful with replacing the world map because it has just given me a headache!!! Here is an example of what is happening, and the other problem is that my sevii islands are being messed up. Thanks for the help

Problems with the side changer and close buttons:

Sevii Islands with the green background:

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                      Hey guys, I've been hacking ROMs for not too long now, and I'm still learning about it, and I'm using the tutorials and everything to try and teach it to myself, and I was wondering if anyone who's really good at hacking has ever thought to create a quiz of some kind for those who are new to hacking. Because like I said, I am and as I've been learning I keep thinking that having something to test my knowledge before putting it into use would be very helpful.
                      That is a great idea come to think about it. I know very little but I have done a bit of hex and do understand the concepts. There are quite a few who don't even know what hex is and use only tools!

Quote:
                      Does anybody know why the tiles that contain water tiles keep appearing like that? I am following MikeMatt15 tutorial where I assign those tiles those colors, but it does not appear as its normal palettes like the others in game.
                      Make sure that you change the tileset palette numbers in NTME when you are making the tileset. You are lucky that yours looks like it is basically working - mine is not

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Nara567 View Post
                      So, I'm making maps and test them out in the game, and click the world map. However, instead of saying that I was on Four Island, where I was, it told me I was in the Tanoby Ruins. It would also explain why there's a picture of them every time I enter a map of the sort. I don't exactly know when this happened. Could someone help?
                      For this, you will need to edit the map in Advance Map. I am assuming that you chose to edit the names of one of the Ruins to be your own? This is what I did to get 6/7 new spots in the game rather simply. Just open the world map editor and then make sure to change the location. I also found that the game will only update your location on the world map when you are outside (not in a cave). Good luck!

Old July 10th, 2012 (7:45 AM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by amcolash View Post
                        Well, I posted this as a thread a bit ago, but I suppose that my question is more than simple but apparently not a full thread worthy. Either way, I have had quite a few problems with making a new custom world map, and the 3 or 4 tutorials I have followed have all resulted in some type of error. I was wondering if anyone was successful with replacing the world map because it has just given me a headache!!! Here is an example of what is happening, and the other problem is that my sevii islands are being messed up. Thanks for the help

Problems with the side changer and close buttons:

Sevii Islands with the green background:
                        It looks like, for the most part, everything is working. I've been able to change the World Map for my games...kinda. NTME seems to be somewhat glitchy, because there is always six or seven tiles at the bottom right corner that seem to stay transparent not matter what. In a more extreme case, it's ended up looking like this:
                        Spoiler:

Although I don't have a clue what causes it :\

Anyway, your world map itself looks great, except for that white square. But in regards to your second question...have you changed the TILES of the World Map? Since the layout of the map is still exactly in the same shape as the original islands, I'm inclined to say that it's incredibly unlikely a glitched map would have the same shape as the original. Kanto and the Sevii Islands all use the exact same world map tiles, so if you change one, you change them all. Although, it looks like you used the same tiles...

Old July 10th, 2012 (10:31 AM).
                        Pokemon Black Chasm Director

Im having some trouble uploading new tiles to tilesets and if someone isnt to busy they could walk me through the processes.
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Need a:
                          Spriter
                          Exeperienced DNS
                          Scripter
                          Mapper
                          Tile editor/maker/insertor
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Please PM me if interested!
                          Old July 10th, 2012 (11:01 AM).

Quote:
                            Judging from the error message, it seems to be a problemm with LZ77...basically, sprites are messed up. Have you replaced any sprites?
                            I have, but I tried opening my back up before I added the sprite, and the base untouched Fire red rom I have and I still get the same message.
                            Old July 10th, 2012 (1:44 PM).
                            Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
                              Hello, I have a question. How would I go about adding 4th gen Pokemon to a Fire Red hack? I know it might be to much to explain, but I could not find a tutorial for it. Can someone please link me a tutorial? If not, how would I go about doing this?
                              Old July 10th, 2012 (3:11 PM).
                              Glory To Arstotzka

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
                                Hello, I have a question. How would I go about adding 4th gen Pokemon to a Fire Red hack? I know it might be to much to explain, but I could not find a tutorial for it. Can someone please link me a tutorial? If not, how would I go about doing this?
                                You don't. You can replace existing Pokémon, but you can't add new ones. Well, not without a lot of effort, hex editing and ASM hacking. Sorry.
                                Old July 10th, 2012 (3:21 PM).

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
                                  As for not being able to find a tutorial...I found four tutorials on the first page of the tutorial page alone. Try this, this, this, or this one

Edit: The above tutorials are for replacing the 25 ?????????? sprites, or even other Pokemon. Not for adding additional ones.

Old July 10th, 2012 (3:42 PM).

Forgive me for not combing through the hundreds of pages to see if anyone has asked this before xD

Does anyone know the maximum size one can make a map in Advance Map? Also, if you made a map at or around maximum size could the ROM handle it without any issues? No lagging or glitching, etc.
                                    Old July 10th, 2012 (4:04 PM). Edited July 10th, 2012 by Robert Conley.
                                    GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley

Nature: Docile
                                      Is there a way to create a new tilemap for the logo on the title screen of firered? I've found tutorials for replacing the logo, and for normal positioning it works, but when I try to position a logo to be directly under, with a little overlap, of the Pokemon text it messes up.

never mind, I figured it out!
                                      Old July 10th, 2012 (4:10 PM).

I've become very intrigued about hacking Gen II games, and I was thinking about poking around them, mostly for fun, and without the intent of making a fully-fledged hack. But I was just curious...I've seen plenty of tutorials on how to convert a pointer to two or three byte form, but how does one do the reverse? Going backwards with the formula I currently have isn't an option...reverse modulus is impossible.

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by avolonsaber View Post
                                        Forgive me for not combing through the hundreds of pages to see if anyone has asked this before xD

Does anyone know the maximum size one can make a map in Advance Map? Also, if you made a map at or around maximum size could the ROM handle it without any issues? No lagging or glitching, etc.
                                        I believe that the max size a map can be is 0xFFFF by 0xFFFF...or 65535 x 65535 tiles. I don't know specifically if that ungodly amount of tiles would cause problems, but I don't think it will. Then again, I don't know why a map would be that size anyway.

Anyway, the Gen III games, much like in Gen IV and V, don't load the entire map at once. It loads little sections of the map at a time, a little larger than the screen's size. When you move, the map is shifted in whatever direction you move. So, if you move Left, the map shifts left, and the tiles that are on the right literally vanish as they go off the screen. Because of this, I don't think there's a lag problem.

Old July 10th, 2012 (4:18 PM).

Quote:
                                          I believe that the max size a map can be is 0xFFFF by 0xFFFF...or 65535 x 65535 tiles. I don't know specifically if that ungodly amount of tiles would cause problems, but I don't think it will. Then again, I don't know why a map would be that size anyway.

Anyway, the Gen III games, much like in Gen IV and V, don't load the entire map at once. It loads little sections of the map at a time, a little larger than the screen's size. When you move, the map is shifted in whatever direction you move. So, if you move Left, the map shifts left, and the tiles that are on the right literally vanish as they go off the screen. Because of this, I don't think there's a lag problem.
                                          I doubt I'll need to make one that big, haha. That's good to know, though...
                                          Thanks
                                          Old July 10th, 2012 (5:42 PM). Edited July 10th, 2012 by amcolash.

Quote:
                                            It looks like, for the most part, everything is working. I've been able to change the World Map for my games...kinda. NTME seems to be somewhat glitchy, because there is always six or seven tiles at the bottom right corner that seem to stay transparent not matter what. In a more extreme case, it's ended up looking like this:
                                            Spoiler:

Although I don't have a clue what causes it :\

Anyway, your world map itself looks great, except for that white square. But in regards to your second question...have you changed the TILES of the World Map? Since the layout of the map is still exactly in the same shape as the original islands, I'm inclined to say that it's incredibly unlikely a glitched map would have the same shape as the original. Kanto and the Sevii Islands all use the exact same world map tiles, so if you change one, you change them all. Although, it looks like you used the same tiles...
                                            Thank you for the response. I have not found a way yet to fix that block of mine, but a while ago I found that to fix the bottom few tiles, you must add 16 bytes of 00 to your raw tileset. So basically, I just add "00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000" at the end of this RAW file before importing into unLZ. There are apparently a lot of bugs with NTME, but I have not been able to try other tile editors yet. Also, if you don't mind, could you send me your RAW and tilemap in a PM so I can see where I am going wrong?

Finally, for the messed up tiles, I believe this is because I am using slightly different tiles from the ones in FR, so they may be in a different order so they are messing up the other map. Do I need to order them in such a way so that they match the original tilemap?

Edit: I realized that I was messing up the tiles because all 4 maps (Kanto and the 3 sevii islands) use the same tiles, but they use different tile maps! Ooops

Old July 10th, 2012 (7:47 PM).

I'm definitely sure I'm asking a question that everyone knows, but what's the difference between having a warp at level "always 00" and "talking level 03"?
                                              Old July 10th, 2012 (8:19 PM).
                                              redriders180 redriders180 is offline

Location: Path of Victory, Tunod
                                                Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                                                I'm definitely sure I'm asking a question that everyone knows, but what's the difference between having a warp at level "always 00" and "talking level 03"?
                                                A warp at "Always [00]" will warp you, no matter if you're standing on a C movement permission, 4 movement permission, 10 movement permission...basically, if you step on it, it will warp you. A warp at talking level [03] will ONLY warp you if you're on a C movement permission.

Old July 10th, 2012 (8:30 PM).
                                                Darkrai Lv.1000 Darkrai Lv.1000 is offline
                                                Has a tendency to figure things out

Location: On an island with Hakaze
                                                  can anyone tell me if there's anything extending/expanding does besides make the ROM bigger?

i want to hack with an extended ROM for the extra space, but are there any downsides?
                                                  Old July 10th, 2012 (8:59 PM).
                                                  FrozenInfernoZX FrozenInfernoZX is offline
                                                  What is out there?

Nature: Adamant
                                                    Thanks for the help guys! Got my world 100% finished. Now I'm just moving around the places with using the world map editor. However, the game still shows me Kanto's old place even though that spot has been moved. For instance. I am at Teajo Underpass, but the map is showing Kanto's old location? (Just happened to be on one of my new cities.) But if I recalled... Kanto never had a location in that far end portion of the map?

Does anybody know why this is occurring?
                                                    Attached Images
                                                    File Type: png Taejo Region TBA.png‎ (7.3 KB, 12 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                                                    Closed Thread

Quick Reply