ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old July 10th, 2012 (9:22 PM).
Time for real life...

Nature: Careful
    Hello, I have a question. I want to add some new event pictures to my hack, but I don't know how to. If this is to much to explain, could I have a link to a tutorial please? I couldn't find any on this topic...

Thanks

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 10th, 2012 (11:02 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
      A warp at "Always [00]" will warp you, no matter if you're standing on a C movement permission, 4 movement permission, 10 movement permission...basically, if you step on it, it will warp you. A warp at talking level [03] will ONLY warp you if you're on a C movement permission.
      Okay, thank you, but now I'm confused about something else. While making a cave with warps and everything, I copied the layout of the Cerulean cave entrance on the inside, where theres the door, then they have movement permission 1 over the entrance and the warp right in front of that on a C permission, but when I tried exiting my cave, it wouldnt warp and I thought it had something to do with the talking level, I now tried putting a C permission on the exit tile itself and moving the warp onto that just like they do with the entrances, but I havent tried it yet, but I want to know why this happens. Also, how come when I enter through certain warps my character is facing the opposite direction?
      Old July 10th, 2012 (11:33 PM).
      Heiki Hecchara‌‌
      • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by FrozenInfernoZX View Post
      Thanks for the help guys! Got my world 100% finished. Now I'm just moving around the places with using the world map editor. However, the game still shows me Kanto's old place even though that spot has been moved. For instance. I am at Teajo Underpass, but the map is showing Kanto's old location? (Just happened to be on one of my new cities.) But if I recalled... Kanto never had a location in that far end portion of the map?

Does anybody know why this is occurring?
      You need to change where the routes/ cities/ dungeons appear in-game through the world map editor. If you look at Taejo Underpass in the world map editor the 'Pos X/Y' should read 0/0, whereas in your instance it should be 5/0; it is this value that determines where the player's face will appear on the map in-game. You can only apply one X/Y co-ordinate per route/ city/ dungeon because the game is unable to determine when to move the player's head depending where you are (e.g if you are on an extremely long route that takes up half the map your head won't move with you) so just choose the best position you can. You need to edit these values by hand but its easy to do and shouldn't take you too long :)

Quote:
      Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post
      Hello, I have a question. I want to add some new event pictures to my hack, but I don't know how to. If this is to much to explain, could I have a link to a tutorial please? I couldn't find any on this topic...

Thanks
      Sorry, but I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Are you referring to a full screen picture? If you are, then try reading this tutorial, otherwise you will have to better explain what you're trying to do.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
      Okay, thank you, but now I'm confused about something else. While making a cave with warps and everything, I copied the layout of the Cerulean cave entrance on the inside, where theres the door, then they have movement permission 1 over the entrance and the warp right in front of that on a C permission, but when I tried exiting my cave, it wouldnt warp and I thought it had something to do with the talking level, I now tried putting a C permission on the exit tile itself and moving the warp onto that just like they do with the entrances, but I havent tried it yet, but I want to know why this happens. Also, how come when I enter through certain warps my character is facing the opposite direction?
      That is all because you are using the wrong type of tile for the exits within the cave. If you look at an unedited Mt Moon map/ tileset you will be able too see that the tile above the entrance/ exit looks like the regular ground tile (tile 281) but is actually a different number (tile 287). When you view this tile in Advance Map's Tile Editor you can see that this is necessary as tile 287 holds a behaviour byte of 0x65 which forms an arrow pointing down when you're facing down on the tile and allows you to warp when you take a step down. Once you replace the tile above your entrance/ exit with a tile that has a behaviour byte of 0x65 and return your movement permissions and warps to what they were earlier then all of your problems should be resolved.
      Old July 11th, 2012 (4:27 AM).
      can't stump the trump

Nature: Adamant

This happened after I edited some trainers.
        How to fix this? The "Shard Version" graphic disappeared when I looked for it. Maybe Tile Molester?
        Help me out, please.
        Old July 11th, 2012 (8:34 AM).
        Time for real life...

Quote:
          Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
          Sorry, but I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Are you referring to a full screen picture? If you are, then try reading this tutorial, otherwise you will have to better explain what you're trying to do.
          Sorry, what I mean is, overworld sprites. When you are walking around in the game and you come across an item, it is represented by a Pokeball sitting on the ground. I want to change how the Pokeball looks - like turn it into a chest or something.
          Old July 11th, 2012 (8:44 AM). Edited July 11th, 2012 by FrozenInfernoZX.
          What is out there?

Quote:
            Originally Posted by DrFuji View Post
            You need to change where the routes/ cities/ dungeons appear in-game through the world map editor. If you look at Taejo Underpass in the world map editor the 'Pos X/Y' should read 0/0, whereas in your instance it should be 5/0; it is this value that determines where the player's face will appear on the map in-game. You can only apply one X/Y co-ordinate per route/ city/ dungeon because the game is unable to determine when to move the player's head depending where you are (e.g if you are on an extremely long route that takes up half the map your head won't move with you) so just choose the best position you can. You need to edit these values by hand but its easy to do and shouldn't take you too long
            Thanks! I got the cities and routes to display correctly now (however, some routes display a few tiles lower than their actual coordinates, so I have to adjust accordingly.) However, for special places, no matter what coordinate I put, it still display it in that spot you see there in my screenshot. Really weird. I also noticed that when I save a special place coordinate, it will auto match to whatever the route's coordinate is. So I figured that they have to share the same coordinate if the special place is on the same route, but I checked Fire Red's original map and saw that special places and routes can have two separate coordinates. Have you ever had such an unusual experience with the world map editor? Is it an Advance Map bug? If so, are there any alternate programs I can use? Thanks.

Also, based upon the map situations of some other users on this page, my Taejo Region have replaced Kanto, thus messing up the other 3 maps. So when it's time for me to create my sub region and Kanto extended map, would it mess up my Taejo Region map?
            Attached Images
            File Type: png Taejo Region Map.png‎ (7.0 KB, 7 views) (Save to Dropbox)
            Old July 11th, 2012 (9:44 AM).
            Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
              Quote:
              Thanks! I got the cities and routes to display correctly now (however, some routes display a few tiles lower than their actual coordinates, so I have to adjust accordingly.) However, for special places, no matter what coordinate I put, it still display it in that spot you see there in my screenshot. Really weird. I also noticed that when I save a special place coordinate, it will auto match to whatever the route's coordinate is. So I figured that they have to share the same coordinate if the special place is on the same route, but I checked Fire Red's original map and saw that special places and routes can have two separate coordinates. Have you ever had such an unusual experience with the world map editor? Is it an Advance Map bug? If so, are there any alternate programs I can use? Thanks.

Also, based upon the map situations of some other users on this page, my Taejo Region have replaced Kanto, thus messing up the other 3 maps. So when it's time for me to create my sub region and Kanto extended map, would it mess up my Taejo Region map?
              In the original games, the map head would move along the route as you moved along the route as well. Since you're changing the coordinates, the head just stays in one place. I have a theory that that might be why A-map asks you to "Change Routines" before editing the map. Anyway, I don't know if it's a bug or not, but it has happened to me before, without any real problems. You might just have to leave them as the same X/Y coordinate, like I did.

All four region maps use the exact same tiles, so if you replace those tiles, you mess up the other maps. So as long as you keep the current tiles the exact same throughout all four maps, you'll won't have any mess ups. If you need to edit the map tiles, the best thing you can do is replace tiles you definitely do not use, or add more tiles to the bottom of the image by making it bigger.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old July 11th, 2012 (11:19 AM).

Hello I have a quick question. I'm planning changing the overworld sprites of pokemon on ruby version such as zigzagoon, or pikachu into other pokemon such as Dialga, or Uxie. However the width and height of the current sprites are too small to fit the new sprites. I'm using nse to change the sizes and I just wanted to know are there any problems that could occur from changing the size from a 16x16 to a 32x32 or a 64x64 to fit the new sprites?
                Old July 11th, 2012 (12:15 PM). Edited July 11th, 2012 by FrozenInfernoZX.
                What is out there?

Quote:
                  In the original games, the map head would move along the route as you moved along the route as well. Since you're changing the coordinates, the head just stays in one place. I have a theory that that might be why A-map asks you to "Change Routines" before editing the map. Anyway, I don't know if it's a bug or not, but it has happened to me before, without any real problems. You might just have to leave them as the same X/Y coordinate, like I did.

All four region maps use the exact same tiles, so if you replace those tiles, you mess up the other maps. So as long as you keep the current tiles the exact same throughout all four maps, you'll won't have any mess ups. If you need to edit the map tiles, the best thing you can do is replace tiles you definitely do not use, or add more tiles to the bottom of the image by making it bigger.
                  Thing is, all special places show up at the (0,0) coordinate no matter what I do. Maybe I'll try an older Advance Map =/
                  Since I have to reuse the same tiles to make a new sub-region (sounds hard, is it really?) I wonder how Liquid Crystal is able to fit 2 full regions and the orange islands, impressive. Can I make an "extended" Kanto? since my region is north of Kanto hence route 25 extended route, but how would I be able to use Kanto since it needs to use the same tiles as my Taejo Region map? Am I understanding this correctly? So my subregion to the west of Taejo would be a "rearranged Taejo map." I'm sorry, I'm new to pokemon hacking and I'm not exactly sure how some things work. I'm learning though
                  Old July 11th, 2012 (3:29 PM).

I'm sure this probably has been asked somewhere before, but I wouldn't even know where to begin searching for it. How do I directly access the beginning script (with Oak asking you questions) in FireRed so I can edit it directly, instead of through Advance Text or something?

Basically, I want to be able to remove the gender select and name input events entirely, so that it's like some other RPGs which give you a more distinct main character.
                    Old July 11th, 2012 (4:19 PM).

Quote:
                      Thing is, all special places show up at the (0,0) coordinate no matter what I do. Maybe I'll try an older Advance Map =/
                      Since I have to reuse the same tiles to make a new sub-region (sounds hard, is it really?) I wonder how Liquid Crystal is able to fit 2 full regions and the orange islands, impressive. Can I make an "extended" Kanto? since my region is north of Kanto hence route 25 extended route, but how would I be able to use Kanto since it needs to use the same tiles as my Taejo Region map? Am I understanding this correctly? So my subregion to the west of Taejo would be a "rearranged Taejo map." I'm sorry, I'm new to pokemon hacking and I'm not exactly sure how some things work. I'm learning though Thanks for the help.
                      You mean no matter what you do to the X/Y coordinates, they snap back to 0,0? I can't remember if you said if the towns are doing the same thing, since the XY coordinates need to be specified independently of which path goes where on the map.

I think you kind of got the idea. Of course, don't forget that you aren't limited in the amount of tiles you get...basically, you can add more to that current total. Additionally, it's more efficient if you make all the maps you need at the same time, and you can take the tiles from all three, put them into one tileset, make all the tilemaps using that one tileset, and you're good. Otherwise, you'll just have to work with a "rearranged Taejo map".

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by HaydenSane View Post
                      I'm sure this probably has been asked somewhere before, but I wouldn't even know where to begin searching for it. How do I directly access the beginning script (with Oak asking you questions) in FireRed so I can edit it directly, instead of through Advance Text or something?

Basically, I want to be able to remove the gender select and name input events entirely, so that it's like some other RPGs which give you a more distinct main character.
                      This is not a script-controlled event, it's an ASM-controlled event. You need to use a hex editor and an assembler/disassembler to edit them.

Old July 11th, 2012 (4:36 PM).

I have Hex Workshop, but honestly no idea how to use it. Any advice on where to start learning this stuff?
                        Old July 11th, 2012 (7:59 PM).
                        Time for real life...

Hello, I have another question. How do I make the world map appear? Like when you "talk" to the map in any PokeCenter? Thanks.
                          Old July 11th, 2012 (8:14 PM).
                          What is out there?

Okay, I now understand what the problem that occurring with the routes, not so much the special places. My edited routes listed from Routes 49 - Routes 74 are all replaced Kanto routes. The game somehow still technically thinks that it's the original routes, therefore, the locator icon adjusts accordingly. My Route 73 is literally divided in half. If I walk over to the other half of the route, (lets say it contains 24 tiles and I pass over to the 13th tile) the locator icon moves over one 8x8 box to the right. However, for my Route 50, the locator moves in a range of 3 boxes on the map up or down while walking from the north end to the south end or vice versa. In that case the locator gives me wrong locations on the map and overlaps to other routes on the world map. Does anybody know why this occurs? The locator basicaly start at its coordinated position and moves "accordingly" to it's Kanto routes as if it is hard coded?

As for speacial areas, by (0,0) coordinate, I meant that it appears on the map that way in the far upper left corner no matter what coordinate I had set it in the world map editor. Cities with special locations are perfect, but not routes.

And as for the addition of subregions and Kanto incorporated into my game, I fully understand what you mean now redriders180. Thanks alot.
                            Old July 11th, 2012 (8:53 PM).

Quote:
                              Okay, I now understand what the problem that occurring with the routes, not so much the special places. My edited routes listed from Routes 49 - Routes 74 are all replaced Kanto routes. The game somehow still technically thinks that it's the original routes, therefore, the locator icon adjusts accordingly. My Route 73 is literally divided in half. If I walk over to the other half of the route, (lets say it contains 24 tiles and I pass over to the 13th tile) the locator icon moves over one 8x8 box to the right. However, for my Route 50, the locator moves in a range of 3 boxes on the map up or down while walking from the north end to the south end or vice versa. In that case the locator gives me wrong locations on the map and overlaps to other routes on the world map. Does anybody know why this occurs? The locator basicaly start at its coordinated position and moves "accordingly" to it's Kanto routes as if it is hard coded?

As for speacial areas, by (0,0) coordinate, I meant that it appears on the map that way in the far upper left corner no matter what coordinate I had set it in the world map editor. Cities with special locations are perfect, but not routes.

And as for the addition of subregions and Kanto incorporated into my game, I fully understand what you mean now redriders180. Thanks alot.
                              I have an image here so you understand what's going wrong:
                              Spoiler:

The values I circled in red dictate the position your face will appear on when you're on a certain map. They DON'T get automatically updated when you change the routes themselves. You have to enter them in manually, and one at a time. And each route only gets one XY pair, so try and place them in the middle of the route.

The values I circled in green are the coordinates of the cursor, for easy reference. They're the same in this case, because I went in and changed all the values. When I go to this route and open the world map, my head'll show up at (5,3) on the world map.

I'm assuming this is your problem. Also, disregard the glitchy map...it doesn't show up right in the World Map editor >_<

More info: Although, the problem of the routes shifting has never been an issue for me. I'm wondering if it's somehow linked to the map tiles themselves, since I changed them completely.

Old July 11th, 2012 (10:49 PM). Edited July 11th, 2012 by FrozenInfernoZX.
                              What is out there?

That wasn't the problem, I think I know what it is now. This explains why my Route 50 locator moved along the route's path. Some of my routes are "opposed." Meaning that I overwrote routes that were either horizontal or vertical with their opposition. So my vertical Route 73 was created over a route that was originally horizontal. That's why the locator moved left to right when I crossed half of the route from left to right. The game was still reading it as a horizontal route. So I changed the map type to indoor and then the locator stayed in its coordinated place at all times. So, in order for me to have the locator smoothy move along the routes, I need to overwrite original horizontal routes with horizontal routes. Is it possible to change a map from "horizontal" to "vertically" (vice-versa) without having to overwrote the correct map? What I mean is not by resizing, but the direction the game reads the route.
                                Old July 12th, 2012 (12:23 AM). Edited July 12th, 2012 by redriders180.

Quote:
                                  That wasn't the problem, I think I know what it is now. This explains why my Route 50 locator moved along the route's path. Some of my routes are "opposed." Meaning that I overwrote routes that were either horizontal or vertical with their opposition. So my vertical Route 73 was created over a route that was originally horizontal. That's why the locator moved left to right when I crossed half of the route from left to right. The game was still reading it as a horizontal route. So I changed the map type to indoor and then the locator stayed in its coordinated place at all times. So, in order for me to have the locator smoothy move along the routes, I need to overwrite original horizontal routes with horizontal routes. Is it possible to change a map from "horizontal" to "vertically" (vice-versa) without having to overwrote the correct map? What I mean is not by resizing, but the direction the game reads the route.
                                  I just found something that may hopefully help you. If you go to 0x3F21AC in a hex editor, it appears that those four bytes correspond to the width and height of Route 1. The next four bytes are for Route 2, then the next is Route 3, and so on and so forth. Strangely, this goes in Route-numberical order, i.e. Route 1 -> Route 25, and not in index order (Index order is Route 4, Route 10, Route 1, Route 2...). Maybe editing those bytes will help your map work the right way?

Edit: I just realised the table itself starts at 0x3F2178. The first eleven sets of four bytes correspond to the width and height of each town, and is always 01 00 01 00, since each map is usually 1x1. The next two entries are four Route 4 and Route 10, and are ALSO 01 00 01 00. It took me a bit, but there are two Route 4s and two Route 10s in the index, because both of these spots are flyable. The next entries then go in index order.

Double Edit: I'm sorry if I'm not being very clear, its late and rational thought isn't coming to me. I also don't know the limits of your knowledge, or even if you know what "index order" is. If you open up any map in A-Map, and go to the header tab, at the top, there's a dropdown with the maps name on it. Click the dropdown, and scroll to the top of the list. That is the first entry in the index. In a normal Firered rom, it's "Pallet Town". The next entry is "Viridian City", followed by Pewter, Cerulean, Lavender, Vermillion, Celadon, Fuschia, Cinnabar, Indigo Plateau, Saffron, Flyable spot for Route 4, Flyable spot for Route 10, Route 1, Route 2, Route 3......Route 25, Viridian Forest.........Power Plant, One Island, Two Island....Celadon Dept. This is basically the order that all map-related data goes. Your index will probably have different names, since you're game is in a different region, so I recommend making a list of all the names in index order, and using that to consult with while you edit the above data.

Old July 12th, 2012 (12:35 AM).
                                  What is out there?

Quote:
                                    I just found something that may hopefully help you. If you go to 0x3F21AC in a hex editor, it appears that those four bytes correspond to the width and height of Route 1. The next four bytes are for Route 2, then the next is Route 3, and so on and so forth. Strangely, this goes in Route-numberical order, i.e. Route 1 -> Route 25, and not in index order (Index order is Route 4, Route 10, Route 1, Route 2...). Maybe editing those bytes will help your map work the right way?

Edit: I just realised the table itself starts at 0x3F2178. The first eleven sets of four bytes correspond to the width and height of each town, and is always 01 00 01 00, since each map is usually 1x1. The next two entries are four Route 4 and Route 10, and are ALSO 01 00 01 00. It took me a bit, but there are two Route 4s and two Route 10s in the index, because both of these spots are flyable. The next entries then go in index order.
                                    Oh thanks! I wonder if any of those bytes correspond to which way the map is read, either vertically or horizontally. I'll check it out! Thanks!
                                    Old July 12th, 2012 (12:46 AM).

Quote:
                                      Oh thanks! I wonder if any of those bytes correspond to which way the map is read, either vertically or horizontally. I'll check it out! Thanks!
                                      I believe that they do. The first thirteen entries are 01 00 01 00, and the entry for Route 1 is 01 00 02 00...which corresponds to one tile wide, and two tiles tall, meaning it's vertical. So the first byte is the width of the route, and the third byte is the height of the route. Meaning if you changed Route 1's data from 01 00 02 00 to 02 00 01 00, the route would then be two tiles wide and one tile tall, or a horizontal route. Additionally, if you changed it to 02 00 02 00, the route would be a square.

Old July 12th, 2012 (1:36 AM). Edited July 12th, 2012 by FrozenInfernoZX.
                                      FrozenInfernoZX FrozenInfernoZX is offline
                                      What is out there?

02 00 02 00 as in the locator head would be locked in just one tile on the map, correct? Like all cities are, not matter how big the city may be.

EDIT - Woow, awesome it worked! I changed my starting town (just to test it) and the town became a vertical map! Thanks man, I appreciate for your findings and discoveries!

EDIT 2 - So if I changed that 3rd byte to a 03 the town would become a one tile horizontal 3 tile vertical map?

EDIT 3 - Tried it on Route 49, success! Thanks again man!
                                        Old July 12th, 2012 (4:58 AM).
                                        SacredMurathJohn SacredMurathJohn is offline
                                        ROM Hacking

Nature: Hasty
                                          How can I change the badge sprites? When I attemp to change it, the pallette messes up.
                                          Old July 12th, 2012 (8:20 AM).

Sorry, is there a way or a tutorial that explain how to animate a door? I changed the tilesets of my rom and I added a new house, but I don't know how to animate its door... Thanks!
                                            Old July 12th, 2012 (8:33 AM). Edited July 12th, 2012 by redriders180.
                                            redriders180 redriders180 is offline

Quote:
                                              02 00 02 00 as in the locator head would be locked in just one tile on the map, correct? Like all cities are, not matter how big the city may be.

EDIT - Woow, awesome it worked! I changed my starting town (just to test it) and the town became a vertical map! Thanks man, I appreciate for your findings and discoveries!

EDIT 2 - So if I changed that 3rd byte to a 03 the town would become a one tile horizontal 3 tile vertical map?

EDIT 3 - Tried it on Route 49, success! Thanks again man!
                                              There is actually one map in-game that uses an 02 00 02 00...That route with the Dotted Hole. I don't know if there's a limit to the numbers (besides the size of the map itself) or not, since I don't know if it does raw calculations or comparing with ASM. For example, I have a map in my game that's 02 00 04 00, which no map in the original game shares. So oddly-shaped routes should be your only "limitation"

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by SacredMurathJohn View Post
                                              How can I change the badge sprites? When I attemp to change it, the pallette messes up.
                                              I tried to change the sprites using the other colors on the badges palette, but it just crashed the game whenever I loaded the Trainer Card. Or, perhaps you used the wrong palette. Are you able to show a picture of what's happening?

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by ~[BlackHole] View Post
                                              Sorry, is there a way or a tutorial that explain how to animate a door? I changed the tilesets of my rom and I added a new house, but I don't know how to animate its door... Thanks!
                                              There is a program called "Door Manager" that can be downloaded somewhere on the first page of the Tutorial page (If I remember right, it's on a thread called _______s Toolbox, although I don't know who the _______ is). It works for both Ruby and Firered, although Ruby obviously has more frames to edit.

Old July 12th, 2012 (11:08 AM).

I have two questions, which I hope will be pretty simple to answer.

First, how would I go about changing the coordinates at which the player respawns after whiting out? I know how to change the map and the map bank, but I want to change the coordinates and also what the game says. This is specifically for the first healing spot in the Player's house. I want him to respawn in his bed, and use different text than the mom text, I just don't know where these things are located.

Secondly, I edited Route 1 in my hack, but kept the same tilesets and dimensions, however whenever I step from Route 1 into Viridian City (which is currently not edited) the tiles at the end of Route 1 that I just stepped off off (about the last fifth of the map or so) all change to random tiles like water or the sides of a mountain or something, but then if I walk farther down the route and they go out of sight, when I come back they're back to normal. My question is just how to fix it so that this doesn't happen anymore.
                                                Old July 12th, 2012 (11:55 AM). Edited July 12th, 2012 by amcolash.

Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by CrystalStatic View Post

Thanks
                                                  You may also want to look at this tutorial to figure out about the pictures shown when going into certain places.

Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by SacredMurathJohn View Post
                                                  You will need to change the sprites in the same palette, or repoint the palette for the badges

Quote:
                                                  Originally Posted by YogiBerra View Post
                                                  First, how would I go about changing the coordinates at which the player respawns after whiting out? I know how to change the map and the map bank, but I want to change the coordinates and also what the game says. This is specifically for the first healing spot in the Player's house. I want him to respawn in his bed, and use different text than the mom text, I just don't know where these things are located.
                                                  For this, you must change the flying data and healing locations. I have not had too much success with this, but here is a tutorial on the subject. Good luck!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply