ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old August 21st, 2012 (8:20 AM).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shinyabsol1 View Post
    Multiple scripts. In scripts that mention the rival's name, the gender you chose at the beginning of the game is checked, then based on that result displays a text box that uses the rival name of the opposite gender.

Wally is always Wally, regardless of gender, obviously.
    I've been looking in Advance Text, and i noticed there are actually a couple places where [RIVAL] tag is used. Where exactly is this defined?

Relevant Advertising!

Old August 21st, 2012 (10:21 AM).
    Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed

Nature: Quirky
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Edrobot View Post
      I've been looking in Advance Text, and i noticed there are actually a couple places where [RIVAL] tag is used. Where exactly is this defined?
      I think that ASM in the game actually moves different values into the [rival] buffer, even in Firered. For example, it's usually the rival's name (in Firered), but in battle, it might be the name of your Pokemon, or something else entirely. It seems to get switched around, at least in Firered. I'm not sure what the string does in Ruby or Emerald...it's possible they do nothing at all, and it's possible that they'll just buffer garbage text.

If you can, try making a simple script that just says "[rival]", and see what pops up.

I think I'm done with ROM hacking. I'll still pop in and visit, though.

Old August 21st, 2012 (9:53 PM).

So, I'm inserting mini sprites for my game, for my own custom pokemon, and what I do is, say treeco, for example, I export treeco, open it in photoshop, and draw out my new mini sprite over it, but then when I go to reinsert it, the pallet changes slightly, it keeps my same colors I used for the sprite, but basically gets rid of the shading I did, so the mini sprite doesn't look as good as I could. How can I fix this?
        Old August 21st, 2012 (11:23 PM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
          So, I'm inserting mini sprites for my game, for my own custom pokemon, and what I do is, say treeco, for example, I export treeco, open it in photoshop, and draw out my new mini sprite over it, but then when I go to reinsert it, the pallet changes slightly, it keeps my same colors I used for the sprite, but basically gets rid of the shading I did, so the mini sprite doesn't look as good as I could. How can I fix this?
          Did you add more colors to the icon, or did you use the pre-existing ones? If you used the pre-existing ones, and the editor is removing the shading, I assume it's because the program thinks they're the same color. The icons are meant to be rough sprites, anyway, and don't usually have subtle shading.

If you added more, then the solution is to use the colors from the original. The icons can only have one of three palettes, so you have to conform to one of them.

Old August 22nd, 2012 (5:57 AM).
          Chief Lunatic

Hey, everyone.

Does anybody know how to rearrange the Hoenn Pokédex in Emerald?
            The traditional Pokédex rearrangers such as Sebbe's and Team Snag'em's don't work - the Hoenn Pokedex refers to National Pokedex numbers as opposed to the in-game numbers of Pokemon (as in, 001 does not refer explicitly to Treecko, but whatever is at National Dex slot 252). So, does anyone know how to work around this? Thanks.
            Old August 22nd, 2012 (8:13 PM).

Does anyone know what program I'd use to edit the cries of Pokemon? I need one that can change the third gens.
              Old August 23rd, 2012 (2:08 AM).
              Chief Lunatic

Quote:
                Originally Posted by SpadeEdge16 View Post
                Does anyone know what program I'd use to edit the cries of Pokemon? I need one that can change the third gens.
                If you're not using Emerald, you can use Advance Cry (by Shiny Quagsire).

If you are using Emerald, you have to use Pokécry, since A-Cry doesn't work.
                Old August 23rd, 2012 (7:50 AM).
                • Crystal Tier

Does anyone know how to temporarily make the player's sprite invisible for a certain amount of time in a script without any glitches occurring and without using level scripts in FireRed? A pretty obscure request, I know, but I need it for reasons.

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                Old August 23rd, 2012 (12:11 PM).
                Memento Mori
                • Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
                Does anyone know how to temporarily make the player's sprite invisible for a certain amount of time in a script without any glitches occurring and without using level scripts in FireRed? A pretty obscure request, I know, but I need it for reasons.
                Hidden applymovement is not enough or it has to be invisible in a different way?

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
                Old August 23rd, 2012 (12:34 PM).

Is it possible to add new letters to the standard English alphabet on the nickname screen? I mean modifying the tiles to make characters like accented á, é and others available. I'm working on a translation project, and I'm not necessary a professinal when it comes to coding and "real" hacking, but it would feel a lot more comfortable to have our full alphabet included. I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask.

Is it possible via only tile edition, or would I have to do difficult coding? Because if the latter is the case, then I don't even bother trying it, unless there's a very detailed tutorial available.
                  Old August 23rd, 2012 (1:03 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2012 by redriders180.

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by MadThrasher View Post
                    Is it possible to add new letters to the standard English alphabet on the nickname screen? I mean modifying the tiles to make characters like accented á, é and others available. I'm working on a translation project, and I'm not necessary a professinal when it comes to coding and "real" hacking, but it would feel a lot more comfortable to have our full alphabet included. I hope you understand what I'm trying to ask.

Is it possible via only tile edition, or would I have to do difficult coding? Because if the latter is the case, then I don't even bother trying it, unless there's a very detailed tutorial available.
                    I made a little headway on this, but I was only able to research about half of it.

There's a data array which starts at 0x3E22D0, which looks like this:

Code:
                    D5 D6 D7 D8 D9 DA 00 AD DB DC DD DE DF E0 00 B8 E1 E2 E3 E4 E5 E6 E7 00 E8 E9 EA EB EC ED EE 00 BB BC BD BE BF C0 00 AD C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 00 B8 C7 C8 C9 CA CB CC CD 00 CE CF D0 D1 D2 D3 D4 00 A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 00 00 00 A6 A7 A8 A9 AA 00
                    This seems like complete nonsense, but it actually dictates what letters are typed when you click a spot. Every zero in that array is a blank space on the keyboard, as read from left to right, and with this, most of the keyboard can be rearranged, although the letters stay in the same place (Basically, you can make it so pressing "A" would type in "E" if you changed BB to BF). Another thing...the first group of letters are actually the lowercase letters. The next group is the uppercase, and the final groups is the special characters.

Simply fill in each 00 with the hex value of the letter to be replaced. I changed the one of the 00s to a B9, yielding this:

Spoiler:

Of course, this isn't all that helpful if it can't display the letters you want, but its a start :\

Old August 23rd, 2012 (2:19 PM).
                    • Crystal Tier

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Ash493 View Post

Hidden applymovement is not enough or it has to be invisible in a different way?
                    ahahaha, thanks dude i completely forgot about that :D

thanks again!

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                    Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                    Old August 23rd, 2012 (3:19 PM).
                    Banned

Nature: Sassy
                      Hi now, in RUBY I've been trying to change the "HOENN" you see when looking at a regular world map. I successfully edited the pokenav "HOENN" at unLZ number 1598, but I can't seem to find just the regular map "HOENN" anywhere in unLZ. Is there a certain number for that or do I have to edit it a certain way?
                      Old August 23rd, 2012 (4:51 PM).

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by The_Show View Post
                        Hi now, in RUBY I've been trying to change the "HOENN" you see when looking at a regular world map. I successfully edited the pokenav "HOENN" at unLZ number 1598, but I can't seem to find just the regular map "HOENN" anywhere in unLZ. Is there a certain number for that or do I have to edit it a certain way?
                        You probably can't find it because it's just plain text . It's stored at 0x42C5B5, I believe.

Old August 23rd, 2012 (5:52 PM).

I cant seen to figure out how to make a working map in Pokemon Crystal
                          Old August 23rd, 2012 (6:49 PM).

Nature: Bold
                            Ok so this is like the 3rd this has happened. When I step on my warp it doesn't warp me. I have the Behavior Byte on 67 for a regular warp and I even tried with 61. My warp leads to another map (like every warp) but it won't warp me! Please Help!
                            Old August 24th, 2012 (11:26 AM).
                            Chief Lunatic

Is there any way to repoint cries or footsteps for the 25 Pokemon between Celebi and Treecko? Thanks.
                              Old August 24th, 2012 (11:40 AM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                I made a little headway on this, but I was only able to research about half of it.

There's a data array which starts at 0x3E22D0, which looks like this:

Code:
                                D5 D6 D7 D8 D9 DA 00 AD DB DC DD DE DF E0 00 B8 E1 E2 E3 E4 E5 E6 E7 00 E8 E9 EA EB EC ED EE 00 BB BC BD BE BF C0 00 AD C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 00 B8 C7 C8 C9 CA CB CC CD 00 CE CF D0 D1 D2 D3 D4 00 A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 00 00 00 A6 A7 A8 A9 AA 00
                                This seems like complete nonsense, but it actually dictates what letters are typed when you click a spot. Every zero in that array is a blank space on the keyboard, as read from left to right, and with this, most of the keyboard can be rearranged, although the letters stay in the same place (Basically, you can make it so pressing "A" would type in "E" if you changed BB to BF). Another thing...the first group of letters are actually the lowercase letters. The next group is the uppercase, and the final groups is the special characters.

Of course, this isn't all that helpful if it can't display the letters you want, but its a start :\
                                Thanks very much, this helped a lot! Although the problem you mentioned still remains... It would be nice if there was any kind of solution for this, and I'll try searching for this problem (though I doubt I'll find anything), but still, it's a huge improvement!
                                Old August 24th, 2012 (12:15 PM).
                                Espada Cuarta

Quote:
                                  I can't see how that would be a ROM issue, it looks a lot like a write issue and it is decidedly not random text. What does it look like in game, when you run the script? It could also be a read issue by XSE, or at least until you answer that question. I find it weird that it seems to write spaces, at times, correctly. If it were me, I would say to myself, 'Hmm, weird,' and then go redownload XSE from a different place than the first one and then retry. If I still had problems, then I would try getting a new ROM, but I can't imagine why that would help. Of course, every once in a while the solutions that make no sense at all somehow work.

I Googled XSE \h3F and somebody had a vaguely similar problem and someone suggested it might be due to dynamic pointers that used spaces. I am not sure if you used dynamic pointers or not, and even if you did they decided that that did not fix the issue, but that could be an issue (of course, I can't imagine that XSE would let you compile with too many arguments since it has never let me compile with too few) and it is too easy to fix to skip.
                                  Well, it's not just XSE that has this problem. When I load my ROM into Item Editor all the items and their descriptions are random letters.

Also, in game the person that has the script doesn't say anything and the battle just starts.
                                  Old August 24th, 2012 (7:52 PM).

Okay so I looked around before I asked this. I want to be able to

Completely change Sprites (into ones I made)
                                    Change Text
                                    Change Pokemon Sprites.
                                    Change Trainer Sprites
                                    Change Pokemon Name, Evolutions, abilities etc.
                                    Change Music

All the answers I've found were to Pokemon FRLG or SRE But I need a rom hacking program that would do this to Platinum. I looked into PPRE but it doesn't change Music or Sprites.
                                    Old August 25th, 2012 (12:49 PM). Edited August 25th, 2012 by RetroRoller.
                                    Trailer Trash

Nature: Modest
                                      See the little messed up characters beneath the ' in this picture?

How do I get rid of it. I'm almost certain I didn't write over any hex values concerning the ' character.

Edit: I know the reflection tile error beneath the player, I fixed it after I screencapped this error.

I map for the Source SDK and dabble in ROM Hacking hmu.
                                      Old August 25th, 2012 (2:51 PM).
                                      Chief Lunatic

I have a problem with Advance Trainer! In Emerald, I made a new Trainer at slot 357 and called him Billy. I tested him in-game and everything worked except for the fact that instead of him being called 'YOUNGSTER BILLY' he was called 'YOUNGSTER ?????' Does anybody know the cause or the solution to this problem?

Also, how exactly does the 'money rate' work in A-Trainer because that seems rather buggy to me...
                                        Old August 25th, 2012 (6:17 PM).

First, my question. Has anyone done any research on the Pokemon animations themselves in Emerald? I don't mean editing the frames, but how the frames are displayed, i.e "1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1", instead of "1-2-1-2-1-2", or something similar.

I don't really want to modify any "animation scripts" (if they're anything like battle animations) or anything...I'm mostly looking for a way to transfer a pre-existing animation for a certain Pokemon, like how you can copy a pointer from the move animation tables to another spot to give custom moves already existing animations.

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by RetroRoller View Post
                                          See the little messed up characters beneath the ' in this picture?

How do I get rid of it. I'm almost certain I didn't write over any hex values concerning the ' character.

Edit: I know the reflection tile error beneath the player, I fixed it after I screencapped this error.
                                          It's possible that you accidentally overwrote part of apostrophe image. The images are uncompressed, and can be found only in TileMolestor, since the text is 2BPP, and imaging programs like NSE only do 4 and 8 BPP. I don't have the offset on-hand, but I think there are tutorials that discuss changing the font that have it.

Old August 25th, 2012 (9:03 PM).
                                          PokemonMasters PokemonMasters is offline
                                          Always Remember Forever&After

Nature: Calm
                                            Anyone know how to change the azumarill in the intro for ruby?

+ForeverDash on PC's Battle Server | Pair | VM/PM |Partner In Crime
                                            Old August 26th, 2012 (2:44 AM).
                                            Chief Lunatic

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by redriders180 View Post
                                              First, my question. Has anyone done any research on the Pokemon animations themselves in Emerald? I don't mean editing the frames, but how the frames are displayed, i.e "1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1", instead of "1-2-1-2-1-2", or something similar.

I don't really want to modify any "animation scripts" (if they're anything like battle animations) or anything...I'm mostly looking for a way to transfer a pre-existing animation for a certain Pokemon, like how you can copy a pointer from the move animation tables to another spot to give custom moves already existing animations.
                                              Unfortunately, I am in the same predicament - not much has been found out about Emerald animations and I'm vaguely aware that modifying them requires ASM know-how.
                                              I can give you a really simple workaround that I use to give my Pokémon the desired animations (to a certain extent). Say you want to replace Farfetch'd or something with Dialga. If you check Farfetch'd's animation on Bulbapedia or Psydex, you'll see it hops about merrily, inappropriate for the Lord of Time. Find another Pokémon with a more appropriate animation e.g. Nidoran M. Then, by using Gamer2020's PGE, swap all data between Nidoran M and Farfetch'd. Nidoran M will have Farfetch'd's skipping animation, whilst your Dialga would have a much more suitable animation. Hope this helps!

Now I have yet another question. Does anybody have a better program than EggMoveEditor for editing Egg moves? I really don't like to use this program and it doesn't seem to work. After all, since when does Wynaut learn egg moves?
                                              Closed Thread

Quick Reply