ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old February 7th, 2013 (3:35 PM).
What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by makayta View Post
    Thank you for the response. However, I don't think the animations are the problem, since when I change what the effect of the attack does the animation works fine and doesn't crash. The actual effects of the attack editor i use (absorbs half of inflicted damage; double damage on pokemon using Dig; user faints; recover half of maximum hp) are the ones that seem to not be working. I can switch the effect of an attack to a similar working one. like replacing the effect of Recover with the effect of Moonlight, but not every move has an alternative.
    Oh, well, you still have corruption of data. If you can, find the section of the gam where the effects are stored and compare it to a clean copy of the game and make the necessary repairs. It could be bad pointers in the effect table, or corrupted data at the locations the pointers point to.

I don't know where the table is so you will have to find it. Personally, it might be easier to start your hack over if you aren't too far in. Always compile dynamically to prevent this from happening.

Paired with Simba

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 7th, 2013 (4:53 PM).
    Now too much of a life.

Nature: Timid
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
      Oh, well, you still have corruption of data. If you can, find the section of the gam where the effects are stored and compare it to a clean copy of the game and make the necessary repairs. It could be bad pointers in the effect table, or corrupted data at the locations the pointers point to.

I don't know where the table is so you will have to find it. Personally, it might be easier to start your hack over if you aren't too far in. Always compile dynamically to prevent this from happening.
      That, or you could just find where the image was, and overwrite all the different data including the image with that of a clean rom until you get to something that hasn't been changed.. It might save a good bit of time.
      Old February 7th, 2013 (4:58 PM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by sab View Post
        That, or you could just find where the image was, and overwrite all the different data including the image with that of a clean rom until you get to something that hasn't been changed.. It might save a good bit of time.
        Same thing. It was finding the image that took the time I just replaced all of the hex code in that general area with the corresponding area in the clean rom.

Also, the problem has now turned into it being the actual effects, such as causing poison or one-hit KO that are the problem. You wouldn't happen to know where those were stored, would you?

Edit: and it has been years since I have had to read pig-latin:p took me a while how to remember how to do it.

Paired with Simba
        Old February 7th, 2013 (5:51 PM).

I'm a beginner hacker, Can someone please tell me where I can find a tutorial for hacking the battle graphics, background.., I've searched but couldn't find..., I'm using ruby.
          Old February 7th, 2013 (6:04 PM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by HyperXhydra View Post
            I'm a beginner hacker, Can someone please tell me where I can find a tutorial for hacking the battle graphics, background.., I've searched but couldn't find..., I'm using ruby.
            I feel you, I am a Ruby hacker also. The tutorial will be the same for FireRed and Ruby, just different locations I'm the rom.

Here is one by a great hacker who goes by thethethethe: http://thethethethesromhacking.weebly.com/battle-background-hacking.html

It is for FireRed, however, so you will need to just find the proper locations.

This is a seperate one for just general graphics: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=186125

The tile set (the mashed up image) contains everything in the tile map, just no duplicates. These can be created in Sphere fairly easily if needed.

Paired with Simba
            Old February 7th, 2013 (8:20 PM).

Quote:

Alright I guess I'll start over, then. I am only having one serious problem now. A-trainer won't work with my rom. I have seen the question asked multiple times but could never find an answer. Anyway, this is what it says:

Subscript out of range.
              [email protected]

I have struggled with this for a few days, and it seems to happen with every Emerald rom I try. Any suggestions?
              Old February 7th, 2013 (8:31 PM).

Quote:
                Alright I guess I'll start over, then. I am only having one serious problem now. A-trainer won't work with my rom. I have seen the question asked multiple times but could never find an answer. Anyway, this is what it says:

Subscript out of range.
                [email protected]

I have struggled with this for a few days, and it seems to happen with every Emerald rom I try. Any suggestions?
                My clean BPEE rom works fine. Just tested it now. You are using 0.9.1, right?

I feel bad that you have to start over, hopefully you can recover any maps and such by saving them. Also, this is why it helps to save your scripts, just so you only have to insert them again later. Remember, dynamic or make sure you have well more than enough free space.

Paired with Simba
                Old February 7th, 2013 (8:45 PM).

Quote:
                  My clean BPEE rom works fine. Just tested it now. You are using 0.9.1, right?

I feel bad that you have to start over, hopefully you can recover any maps and such by saving them. Also, this is why it helps to save your scripts, just so you only have to insert them again later. Remember, dynamic or make sure you have well more than enough free space.
                  I'm using whatever version came with the GBA Pokemon Game Editor. I tried downloading a-trainer seperately and it still isn't working. I tried the same rom you said works, but it still doesn't work. Can you provide a link to the version you are using?
                  Old February 7th, 2013 (9:03 PM).
                  Free supporter
                  • Silver Tier

Quote:
                  I'm using whatever version came with the GBA Pokemon Game Editor. I tried downloading a-trainer seperately and it still isn't working. I tried the same rom you said works, but it still doesn't work. Can you provide a link to the version you are using?
                  Re-download A-trainer. Also I'm not sure if it's compatible on a MAC, if that's what you're using.
                  Old February 7th, 2013 (9:05 PM).

Quote:
                    Go into help in A-trainer and click about. There you will see the version number on the right. I am using the one in HackMew's toolbox I believe.

Paired with Simba
                    Old February 7th, 2013 (9:19 PM).

Quote:
                      Go into help in A-trainer and click about. There you will see the version number on the right. I am using the one in HackMew's toolbox I believe.
                      Well, it is 0.9.1, and I went back to Hackmew's toolbox and redownloaded it. The program refuses to accept any rom I want to edit. Are there any other decent trainer editors?
                      Old February 7th, 2013 (9:37 PM).

Quote:
                        Well, it is 0.9.1, and I went back to Hackmew's toolbox and redownloaded it. The program refuses to accept any rom I want to edit. Are there any other decent trainer editors?
                        You can try P.E.T. But it is ancient. You wouldn't happen to have another computer you could use it on? That would be the best way to go. Also, give you registry and temp files a clear with Ccleaner. Might get rid of something blocking it's use.

Other thing to try is make sure you have all of the .net frameworks installed and both comdlg.ocx things registered. They are required for some tools.

Paired with Simba
                        Old February 8th, 2013 (6:57 AM).
                        problematic
                        • Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
                        How would I go about creating a script that only allows the player to access an area once a badge has been obtained? It's for blocking off the Pokemon Tower in FRLG until the player has obtained the Fourth Badge. I've had a look and I know it's something to do with setting the flags, I have an idea but I can't get it quite right.
                        Old February 8th, 2013 (7:00 AM).
                        Free supporter
                        • Silver Tier

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
                        How would I go about creating a script that only allows the player to access an area once a badge has been obtained? It's for blocking off the Pokemon Tower in FRLG until the player has obtained the Fourth Badge. I've had a look and I know it's something to do with setting the flags, I have an idea but I can't get it quite right.
                        Isn't it just a simple checkflag? Or you mean like the door not opening till the fourth badge?
                        Old February 8th, 2013 (8:06 AM).
                        MrGarroz

Nature: Serious
                          I'm using the hack tool "Pokemon Editor", that is in Pokemon Game Editor (PGE), and I can't manage to add a new attack to a Pokemon. For example, how can I add "Frenzy Plant" in Bulbasaur's learnable attacks at level 55?
                          It's the first time I use this tool, I always used YAPE in the past...
                          Old February 8th, 2013 (8:37 AM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by 95gemello7 View Post
                            I'm using the hack tool "Pokemon Editor", that is in Pokemon Game Editor (PGE), and I can't manage to add a new attack to a Pokemon. For example, how can I add "Frenzy Plant" in Bulbasaur's learnable attacks at level 55?
                            It's the first time I use this tool, I always used YAPE in the past...
                            Do you see the level-up attack pointer? Right above it, click "insert attacks at offset". Then point it to a good chunk of free space, type the number of attacks you want, then click inset. Do not touch the Jambo51 hack unless you know what you are doing!

Now, remember that point we typed in for the new attack bank? Type it into the level-up attack Pointer box and hit repoint. Have fun!

Wait, this will create a new empty bank of just "pounds". So, if you want to just add one move, use YAPE. Otherwise you will have to reinsert all of the old attacks.

Paired with Simba
                            Old February 8th, 2013 (8:59 AM).
                            MrGarroz

Nature: Serious
                              Quote:
                              Do you see the level-up attack pointer? Right above it, click "insert attacks at offset". Then point it to a good chunk of free space, type the number of attacks you want, then click inset. Do not touch the Jambo51 hack unless you know what you are doing!

Now, remember that point we typed in for the new attack bank? Type it into the level-up attack Pointer box and hit repoint. Have fun!

Wait, this will create a new empty bank of just "pounds". So, if you want to just add one move, use YAPE. Otherwise you will have to reinsert all of the old attacks.
                              Thank you a lot!!! Really, you saved my life!!!
                              Old February 8th, 2013 (9:58 AM).
                              problematic
                              • Platinum Tier

Nature: Relaxed
                              Quote:
                              Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
                              Isn't it just a simple checkflag? Or you mean like the door not opening till the fourth badge?
                              Yeah, I wanted to make it so that the Door was locked until you receive the fourth badge.
                              Old February 8th, 2013 (10:34 AM).
                              Free supporter
                              • Silver Tier

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
                              Yeah, I wanted to make it so that the Door was locked until you receive the fourth badge.
                              Oh OK, in FireRed they had a green script tile infront of the door that made you walk down after a small message. Either that or you can use setmaptile. Have one tile be use warp + door animation and have the second tile not have those properties. Then you can either have a level script that checks and sets the tile depending on the flag or a screen script tile infront of the door.
                              Old February 8th, 2013 (10:55 AM).

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by FBI agent View Post
                                Oh OK, in FireRed they had a green script tile infront of the door that made you walk down after a small message. Either that or you can use setmaptile. Have one tile be use warp + door animation and have the second tile not have those properties. Then you can either have a level script that checks and sets the tile depending on the flag or a screen script tile infront of the door.
                                I have also done it with a hidden NPC on the door, that goes away when the flag is set.

Paired with Simba
                                Old February 8th, 2013 (9:59 PM).
                                Mew!

is there a simple way to change the chance of getting a shiny in firered...

its like 1 in 16 some odd thousand.. id like to set it at a sterdy 1%... 1 in 100

something sothat you WILL see some shiny playing thru the game... weather you catch a shiny ratatta or lugia is still random tho..
                                  Old February 8th, 2013 (10:18 PM).
                                  巨大なトロール。
                                  • Silver Tier

Nature: Modest
                                  Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by LocksmithArmy View Post

its like 1 in 16 some odd thousand.. id like to set it at a sterdy 1%... 1 in 100

something sothat you WILL see some shiny playing thru the game... weather you catch a shiny ratatta or lugia is still random tho..
                                  The way shiny pokemon work is that its Trainer ID and Secret ID are XOR'd, which is then XOR'd with its Personality Value which is XOR'd with its lower and higher bits.

So it's really not so easy to make it more likely without breaking that.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Personality#Shininess
                                  Old February 9th, 2013 (6:47 AM).
                                  Let's Keep It Simple

Nature: Lonely
                                    Anyone has an idea where I can find the Poke Center animation?

The TV that changes the animations while Nurse joy(Above her head) is healing your Pokemanz, since almost all animations of those tiles (Ex. Pc's, TV's) aren't in animeditor, but are in the tileset itself, with theyre animation too, but the PC TV seems to not have the animation in the tileset nor in animeditor.

Thank you.

Anbuja~
                                    Old February 9th, 2013 (6:50 AM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by LocksmithArmy View Post

I used shinyizer by HackMew on my rom and then place a couple s-tiles around on different maps which would cause the next Pokemon (both wild and trainer:D) seen to be shiny. It takes some time, but it does raise the shiny rate.

Paired with Simba
                                      Old February 9th, 2013 (12:28 PM).
                                      Unegged Hatch

Nature: Sassy
                                        Would it be okay to recruit people for artistic help on a rom hacking project? This is important because I've lost my ability to sprite well due to years of stagnation and art direction is the entire point of the project I have in mind.

Quick Reply