ROM Hacking Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread

Old March 24th, 2013 (12:13 PM).

Nature: Quirky
    So I'm using this thread to edit the type-effectiveness chart in FR. I need more room than it has, so I'm trying to repoint it, which I have virtually no experience doing.

So I turned the offset 24F050 (the beginning of the chart) into a pointer-> 50F02408 (right?)
    I then searched this pointer to replace it with my new pointer for the type chart...but it doesn't exist in the ROM...am I missing something?

Thanks to SilverGrey for the awesome banner! Click to see!
    Current as of 1/31/14: I updated again!

Relevant Advertising!

Old March 24th, 2013 (2:54 PM). Edited March 24th, 2013 by karatekid552.
    What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
      Quote:
      Originally Posted by Reygok View Post
      I used the Pokémon Editor in 0xRH's Pokémon Game Editor to add new attacks to a Pokémon I created and put in the Slot after Celebi. I took a 1000 byte big free offset, and added 11 new moves.
      In-game, it worked fine, my pokémon learned what I hat intended. But yesterday, after a few days of mapping and scripting, it reached level 7 after a battle, and the game froze.

So I headed over to the Pokémon editor and -WTF- it now has like, 200 moves, but they are all glitchy, have weird symbols as names and are learned at level 107 and 0 and 200...

Has anybody had this problem before?
      Did you, by any chance, open the rom with YAPE?

If you didn't, then my guess is that the area right after you placed the moves was filled with data from maps and scripts. The game then tried to read these as moves.

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Noossab Blue View Post
      So I'm using this thread to edit the type-effectiveness chart in FR. I need more room than it has, so I'm trying to repoint it, which I have virtually no experience doing.

So I turned the offset 24F050 (the beginning of the chart) into a pointer-> 50F02408 (right?)
      I then searched this pointer to replace it with my new pointer for the type chart...but it doesn't exist in the ROM...am I missing something?
      That would be the correct pointer, if you are using HxD, your most likely mistake is not checking the "search all" button in the Find window. I forget to do it all the time.

Paired with Simba
      Old March 24th, 2013 (3:19 PM). Edited March 24th, 2013 by tajaros.
      Hi I'm dawg

Nature: Timid
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Noossab Blue View Post

If the search all thingy doesn't work for you maybe you haven't set it up as Hex Values. Try changing that, also I'll try to find the location of that pointer to ease things up.

EDIT:

There are multiple pointers so I guess you have to change all of those pointers.

1st Pointer - 0x1E944
        2nd Pointer - 0x1EA84
        3rd Pointer - 0x1EB58
        4th Pointer - 0x1EEBC
        5th Pointer - 0x1EFC0
        6th Pointer - 0x1F0C0
        7th Pointer - 0x23CD8
        8th Pointer - 0x29F90
        9th Pointer - 0x39E38

So basically there are 9 Pointers that points out to 0x24F050

Yeah Eminem rulz rom jacking.
        Old March 24th, 2013 (9:51 PM). Edited March 24th, 2013 by BlackWhiteRobin.

Hey guys! You know how to remove Pikachu on the top-left from the "In the world blah..blah..blah.." intro?

I tried to remove it using NSE's bookmarked offsets and managed to remove Pikachu's body and eyes but the ears are still there! Does anybody know the offset? Please help!

Old March 24th, 2013 (11:50 PM). Edited March 25th, 2013 by U.Flame.
          Suuuper Busy
          • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
          I've been experimenting with decoration placing recently. So far, I've duplicated your house's normal floor tile, but gave it the behavior byte, B5 (I believe this is what Secret Bases use to allow decoration placement). The behavior actually worked, the home PC allowed me to place dolls and cushions on that tile. The problem however, is keeping the decorations visible.

For some odd reason, right after the decoration is placed, it disappears! I can walk over that spot too so it isn't simply invisible. However, the PC still recognizes it as being placed on that spot, and I can still remove it.

So, what am I doing wrong? How can I get decorations to work properly?
          (On a related note, is there a way to remove the restriction on what type of decoration can be placed on your room? I'd like to be able to place anything.)
          Attached Files
          File Type: avi Decoration Testing2.AVI‎ (5.96 MB, 3 views) (Save to Dropbox)
          Pokemon Cursed/Creepy White - Group project, on hiatus for now with plans to return eventually.
          Animal Crossing Wild World playing as an animal - experimental, messing with models and textures

Hacks I've worked on in the past:
          Pokemon Ruby Destiny Broken Timeline (pre-reboot) - Assisted with maps
          Pokemon HeartGold Prince Boo Edition - Experimental project with three small changes. Made at the request of YouTube LPer PrinceBoo21.

Been super busy with work, life, and laptop problems. Hopefully I can get back into it soon, I fear I'm already rusty. Meanwhile I'm considering writing some of my hacks as a series of fanfics.

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
          Times I've ninja'd people: 3
          Old March 25th, 2013 (1:49 AM).
          Beginning Hacker

Quote:
            Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
            Did you, by any chance, open the rom with YAPE?

If you didn't, then my guess is that the area right after you placed the moves was filled with data from maps and scripts. The game then tried to read these as moves.
            Well, in fact I did open it with YAPE, too, to see if there was e difference, and no, there isn't. In YAPE, there are the same random "moves" after the 11 I set.

So I'll just search a new free Offset? Perhaps smaller than 1000 bytes? Because if, with 11 moves, there is still space for like 200 odd ones, I feel like 1000 bytes is way too much.

Anyway, thanks, for the answer
            Old March 25th, 2013 (2:40 AM). Edited March 25th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
              Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
              I've been experimenting with decoration placing recently. So far, I've duplicated your house's normal floor tile, but gave it the behavior byte, B5 (I believe this is what Secret Bases use to allow decoration placement). The behavior actually worked, the home PC allowed me to place dolls and cushions on that tile. The problem however, is keeping the decorations visible.

For some odd reason, right after the decoration is placed, it disappears! I can walk over that spot too so it isn't simply invisible. However, the PC still recognizes it as being placed on that spot, and I can still remove it.

So, what am I doing wrong? How can I get decorations to work properly?
              (On a related note, is there a way to remove the restriction on what type of decoration can be placed on your room? I'd like to be able to place anything.)
              The problem is the one I encountered in my OW editing tutorial. There is a set of 16 or so Dynamic OW's in every room that you can place decorations. These OWs "morph" or "change" into your decorations after you place them. Go into a secret base and you will notice the OWs lined up on the side of the room. Mimic them exactly and you should be in buisness.

Quote:
              Well, in fact I did open it with YAPE, too, to see if there was e difference, and no, there isn't. In YAPE, there are the same random "moves" after the 11 I set.

So I'll just search a new free Offset? Perhaps smaller than 1000 bytes? Because if, with 11 moves, there is still space for like 200 odd ones, I feel like 1000 bytes is way too much.

Anyway, thanks, for the answer
              I just know that if you save while YAPE is open, it will move all of your moves around into one big pool.

After you repoint to some new free space (still use the 1000 bytes) goto that offset in a hex editor. Count over 22 bytes, (moves take up 2 bytes each) then you should be looking at the beginning of a ton of FFFFs. This is free space. Go over two more bytes, and then fill with random numbers for about 2 or 3 bytes. This should prevent A-map or XSE from writing in the area where your movesets are.

Paired with Simba
              Old March 25th, 2013 (2:56 AM).

Umm..... Why isn't anyone answering my questions? Did I turn into a ghost without me noticing? Ooooooohhh...... Spooky.

Quote:
                Hey there! Another question how about this:

How do I edit it? I tried 2013 in Unlz gba and it looked like that but when I edited it, it remain unchanged. I guess that number isn't right. Do you know the right offset?

Quote:
                Hey guys! You know how to remove Pikachu on the top-left from the "In the world blah..blah..blah.." intro?

I tried to remove it using NSE's bookmarked offsets and managed to remove Pikachu's body and eyes but the ears are still there! Does anybody know the offset? Please help!

Old March 25th, 2013 (3:39 AM).
                Beginning Hacker

And how much is "two bytes"? I tried what you sad, kid, but then I seem to add two glitched moves by myself.
                  Old March 25th, 2013 (3:46 AM).
                  • Crystal Tier

00 00 is two bytes.

It could be FF FF or FD 12, or any number of letter between A - F.

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
                  Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
                  Old March 25th, 2013 (4:14 AM). Edited March 25th, 2013 by Reygok.
                  Beginning Hacker

Then, one move takes more than 2 bytes, because starting at the offset where I inserted my moveset, there are 38 used bytes, and I set 11 moves. Well, I'll try again.

Okay, now it works. Thanks dudes.
                    Old March 25th, 2013 (6:01 AM).
                    Suuuper Busy
                    • Crystal Tier

Nature: Jolly
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
                    The problem is the one I encountered in my OW editing tutorial. There is a set of 16 or so Dynamic OW's in every room that you can place decorations. These OWs "morph" or "change" into your decorations after you place them. Go into a secret base and you will notice the OWs lined up on the side of the room. Mimic them exactly and you should be in buisness.
                    Makes sense, so I did exactly that. Mimicked everything, the sprite, the placement, the Person ID, the Event Number, etc. But instead of being invisible and doing their job, they show up as Brendan sprites and the problem still persists. I copied everything about them, so there must be more to it. What am I missing?
                    Attached Images
                    File Type: png event.png‎ (7.5 KB, 11 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                    File Type: png Pokemon Sapphire.png‎ (5.0 KB, 12 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                    Pokemon Cursed/Creepy White - Group project, on hiatus for now with plans to return eventually.
                    Animal Crossing Wild World playing as an animal - experimental, messing with models and textures

Hacks I've worked on in the past:
                    Pokemon Ruby Destiny Broken Timeline (pre-reboot) - Assisted with maps
                    Pokemon HeartGold Prince Boo Edition - Experimental project with three small changes. Made at the request of YouTube LPer PrinceBoo21.

Been super busy with work, life, and laptop problems. Hopefully I can get back into it soon, I fear I'm already rusty. Meanwhile I'm considering writing some of my hacks as a series of fanfics.

Times I've been ninja'd: 18
                    Times I've ninja'd people: 3
                    Old March 25th, 2013 (6:04 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by U_Flame View Post
                      Makes sense, so I did exactly that. Mimicked everything, the sprite, the placement, the Person ID, the Event Number, etc. But instead of being invisible and doing their job, they show up as Brendan sprites and the problem still persists. I copied everything about them, so there must be more to it. What am I missing?
                      The fact that they show up as brendan sprites means you are close. Make sure there aren't any map scripts that would hide them, and make sure you are using the same Hidden movement type. There are at least 3 different Hidden types. Make sure they are the right one.

Paired with Simba
                      Old March 25th, 2013 (8:48 AM).
                      Beginning Hacker

Well, I made my first trainer, and I appearantly failed hard.

The battle only works when I interact directly with the trainer, but when I walk in front of him, the script activates before I even cross his lign of sight, and it gets all glitchy. the same happens when I speak to him, and defeat him.

Could it be that the first 20 or so slots in A-trainer are left free for a reason ?

Or is a mistake in my script:
                        Quote:
                        #dynamic 0x800000

'---------------
                        #org @start
                        textcolor 0x2
                        trainerbattle 0x0 0x1 0x0 @string1 @string2
                        msgbox @string3 MSG_FACE '"You are good for a newbie!"
                        release
                        end

'---------
                        ' Strings
                        '---------
                        #org @string1
                        = Hey!\nI never saw you before.\lAre you a new trainer?

#org @string2
                        = Blown away!

#org @string3
                        = You are good for a newbie!
                        Old March 25th, 2013 (9:56 AM).

Quote:
                          Well, I made my first trainer, and I appearantly failed hard.

The battle only works when I interact directly with the trainer, but when I walk in front of him, the script activates before I even cross his lign of sight, and it gets all glitchy. the same happens when I speak to him, and defeat him.

Could it be that the first 20 or so slots in A-trainer are left free for a reason ?

Or is a mistake in my script:
                          When a trainer is activated by walking in front of him, think of it like this: it doesn't even read the trainerbattle command, it just assumes and skips to the next part where it reads what trainer battle to start. This is why it didn't work. Now, it doesn't happen exactly that way, but it is a good way to remember to start with the trainerbattle first. No text color command. I believe you can do text color directly in the message itself, but I always used to hack Ruby (I recently switched) so I don't know much about working with text color. But, just remove the text color line and you should be fine.

Paired with Simba
                          Old March 25th, 2013 (10:34 AM).

Hi. Is there a list anywhere of 100% completed rom hacks? I'm interesting in finding some new ones to play. If it helps, I could even provide a list of hacks I've played to make answering this easier. I tried searching several key words, but was unable to find what I was looking for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
                            Old March 25th, 2013 (11:39 AM).
                            Beginning Hacker

Hm, well that sucks. But thanks again, kid
                              Old March 25th, 2013 (2:03 PM).

A page has passed so... Please I need your help. I'm currently stuck on my hack!

Quote:
                                Umm..... Why isn't anyone answering my questions? Did I turn into a ghost without me noticing? Ooooooohhh...... Spooky.

Quote:
                                Hey there! Another question how about this:

How do I edit it? I tried 2013 in Unlz gba and it looked like that but when I edited it, it remain unchanged. I guess that number isn't right. Do you know the right offset?

Quote:

Old March 25th, 2013 (2:33 PM).
                                • Crystal Tier

The Pikachu sprites are:

0x8462D34: The two frames for the animated ears.
                                0x8462E18: The two frames for the animated eyes.
                                0x8462B74: The base sprite of the whole body.

I have no idea about the little Poké Ball icons though, sorry.

Old March 25th, 2013 (3:06 PM).

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
                                  The Pikachu sprites are:

0x8462D34: The two frames for the animated ears.
                                  0x8462E18: The two frames for the animated eyes.
                                  0x8462B74: The base sprite of the whole body.

I have no idea about the little Poké Ball icons though, sorry.
                                  Okay! Thanks! You're a great dude!

Old March 25th, 2013 (3:16 PM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by inthenameofDT View Post
                                    Hi. Is there a list anywhere of 100% completed rom hacks? I'm interesting in finding some new ones to play. If it helps, I could even provide a list of hacks I've played to make answering this easier. I tried searching several key words, but was unable to find what I was looking for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
                                    Go into the Hacks Showcase sections of Emulation. Most of these hacks are complete or at least close enough for you to enjoy them. (I'm guessing you are not one of the beta tester types) Good luck!

Paired with Simba
                                    Old March 25th, 2013 (4:31 PM).

Hey guys, another question. For example, I would put a Lugia event where you battle him and because of the hidesprite command, he will disappear after the battle. My question is, how do I make it respawn like after beating it, the sprite will disappear, I leave the map and go back again and he will be there again. Is there a possible way to do this? How?

Old March 25th, 2013 (4:34 PM).
                                      • Crystal Tier

Make a level script on the maps outside where Lugia spawns and clear the flag that you set for his Person ID.

Old March 25th, 2013 (4:39 PM).
                                      BlackWhiteRobin BlackWhiteRobin is offline

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Spherical Ice View Post
                                        Make a level script on the maps outside where Lugia spawns and clear the flag that you set for his Person ID.
                                        Umm.... Can you make it a bit simpler?....

Old March 25th, 2013 (5:04 PM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                          Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by robin22gongon View Post
                                          Umm.... Can you make it a bit simpler?....
                                          When you made Lugia disappear, you set a flag that was the same as its person ID in A-map, correct? Now, create a map script outside of that room which clears that flag. This will make Lugia show up again the next time you go back into the room which Lugia resides in. This will be infinate unless you set another flag to prevent this script from happening again, or changing the var whcih is attached to the map script.

Paired with Simba
                                          Closed Thread

Quick Reply