Game Development Your number one stop for anything related to creating games (except ROM hacks). You can even make your own!

TrollandToad.com
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1    
Old March 2nd, 2007 (8:45 AM). Edited March 18th, 2007 by Dawson.
Dawson's Avatar
Dawson Dawson is offline
The Rebirth Is Upon Us
     
    Join Date: Apr 2004
    Location: Rising From The Ashes
    Gender:
    Nature: Naughty
    Posts: 9,728
    Neo-Dragon PMed me a suggestion for the area, as this idea has been brought to mind before, we're gonna try and give it a go just to see how it turns out. So, here we have PC's first Map Making Contest. Being the first contest, I'm a little unsure as to how many participants we are going to have, so this contest is going to just be a general, un-themed contest. Should this work out and prove quite popular, monthly editions will be run with more specified themes. If not, well, we'll have to try something else to get people interested. Anyway, onto the rules:

    -Rules-

    • Produce a map, in any game making program, using any tileset you want.
    • You may enter a maximum of two different maps.
    • There is only one restriction on the type of map you may submit. Indoor maps/gyms etc are prohibited. Anything else is fine; towns, routes, forests, caves are all fine.
    • Maps must be your own work, no plagiarism.

    -Awards-
    • Bragging rights. The winning map will be displayed in the first post for all to see.
    • Should this prove successful and worthy of doing once a month, a "Contest Hall of Fame" will be created, listing the winners and their entries for all to see and for the winners to boast about.

    You have until Sunday 18th March to submit all entries. After that, entries will be closed and voting will commence. Voting will last a week, until Sunday 25th March, with the winner and runners up being announced that day. Voting will be done via an anonymous poll in this thread.

    And that's all I have to say now. The contest is open, lets see if we can get this to be a success. The area could use some better forms of active participation.

    Either post your entries here or PM them to me, I'll then add them into the first post so they're all in the same place. Discussion is allowed here too, just keep it on topic.

    --ENTRIES--
    Riverdale by Don Patch
    Lazy Freeway by DeM0nFiRe
    Untold Legends Map by j.a
    Untitled Map by Glitchfinder
    Train Station Model by Ruyin
    Pokemon Route/Town by Rm2k3kid
    Zelda Map by Rm2k3kid
    Futura City by Ruyin
    Chromeshore City by Crazy Weavile
    Route 301 by Crazy Weavile

    Relevant Advertising!

      #2    
    Old March 2nd, 2007 (9:57 AM).
    Avatar's Avatar
    Avatar Avatar is offline
    Savant
    • Silver Tier
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: Denmark
    Age: 28
    Gender: Male
    Posts: 2,419
    It is a good idea, but I disagree on the fact that the voting will be anonymous as this will in the end be ineffective.
    It is easy for a participant to get his/her friends to vote for their entry thus defeating the purpose of choosing the best map.

    I'd rather know who voted what and the reason why they did so (a valid reason, not just "because it's cool")
      #3    
    Old March 2nd, 2007 (1:07 PM).
    The Dash's Avatar
    The Dash The Dash is offline
    Hurr.
    • Silver Tier
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: Lurking in the shadows of the Games Development fourms.
    Age: 25
    Nature: Timid
    Posts: 1,858
    I have to agree with Avatar here. How about instead of using the standard poll, have users PM one of you with their votes. Don't allow votes from accounts under 10 days old either, it is all to easy to make accounts to just vote.
    __________________

      #4    
    Old March 2nd, 2007 (2:02 PM).
    Alistair Alistair is offline
    • Silver Tier
     
    Join Date: Mar 2005
    Age: 26
    Nature: Quirky
    Posts: 2,243
    Well, here is my entry. Please don't whine about it being an RTP map.



    Also, this is a map of my game called Tales of Virtue. This is Riverdale.
    __________________
    No signature to be found here...
      #5    
    Old March 3rd, 2007 (4:06 AM). Edited March 9th, 2007 by Ruyin.
    Ruyin's Avatar
    Ruyin Ruyin is offline
    Skilled RMXP Mapper
       
      Join Date: Dec 2006
      Location: Australia
      Age: 23
      Gender:
      Nature: Calm
      Posts: 73
      Sure I'll give it a go:

      I am no longer entering this map, look further in the thread to see my new maps.



      __________________
      Hey everyone I'm Ryruyin now!
        #6    
      Old March 3rd, 2007 (11:35 AM). Edited March 4th, 2007 by DeM0nFiRe.
      DeM0nFiRe's Avatar
      DeM0nFiRe DeM0nFiRe is offline
      Running for Supreme Ruler :)
         
        Join Date: Aug 2006
        Age: 26
        Gender:
        Nature: Adamant
        Posts: 176
        Ok then here's my map. I used a Tileset that is a combination of pokemon graphics, RTP auto tiles, And my own graphics I made:
        EDIT:Map needs a name so i'll call it...Lazy Freeway
        Attached Thumbnails
        Contest Map.png‎  
        __________________

        Just because DeathNote Is great
          #7    
        Old March 3rd, 2007 (1:34 PM).
        The Dash's Avatar
        The Dash The Dash is offline
        Hurr.
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Aug 2005
        Location: Lurking in the shadows of the Games Development fourms.
        Age: 25
        Nature: Timid
        Posts: 1,858
        Can I use Hammer? (Map maker for Half Life 2) cause I'm starting to learn it and shiz.
        __________________

          #8    
        Old March 3rd, 2007 (1:44 PM).
        Alistair Alistair is offline
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Mar 2005
        Age: 26
        Nature: Quirky
        Posts: 2,243
        My guess would be no, but that is just a guess. I would like to see what you come up with, though.
        __________________
        No signature to be found here...
          #9    
        Old March 3rd, 2007 (1:47 PM).
        The Dash's Avatar
        The Dash The Dash is offline
        Hurr.
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Aug 2005
        Location: Lurking in the shadows of the Games Development fourms.
        Age: 25
        Nature: Timid
        Posts: 1,858
        Well he did say that the only restriction on what kind of map you can make is that it can't be inside.. I'll have a go anyway.
        __________________

          #10    
        Old March 3rd, 2007 (3:18 PM).
        ~Azura's Avatar
        ~Azura ~Azura is offline
        Alright, purple is good.
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Apr 2006
        Nature: Relaxed
        Posts: 511
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Dawson
        Produce a map, in any game making program, using any tileset you want.
        Game makers != Map makers
        Game makers > Map makers

        =D
        __________________
        [ Support: ]

        [ Game | Previews | Screenshots ]

        Thread returning soon, don't worry!


        Need help with something? Send me a PM!
          #11    
        Old March 3rd, 2007 (4:00 PM).
        The Dash's Avatar
        The Dash The Dash is offline
        Hurr.
        • Silver Tier
         
        Join Date: Aug 2005
        Location: Lurking in the shadows of the Games Development fourms.
        Age: 25
        Nature: Timid
        Posts: 1,858
        The Source SDK is generally a game maker :O
        __________________

          #12    
        Old March 3rd, 2007 (5:56 PM).
        DeM0nFiRe's Avatar
        DeM0nFiRe DeM0nFiRe is offline
        Running for Supreme Ruler :)
           
          Join Date: Aug 2006
          Age: 26
          Gender:
          Nature: Adamant
          Posts: 176
          My map isn't all that complicated or anything but I can almost guarantee it'll be like noone elses map.('cuz noone else likes to make tilesets o.O )

          Anyway I think I know who i'm votin for but since he said anomynous i prolly shudn't say who huh?
          __________________

          Just because DeathNote Is great
            #13    
          Old March 3rd, 2007 (6:52 PM).
          Dawson's Avatar
          Dawson Dawson is offline
          The Rebirth Is Upon Us
             
            Join Date: Apr 2004
            Location: Rising From The Ashes
            Gender:
            Nature: Naughty
            Posts: 9,728
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
            It is a good idea, but I disagree on the fact that the voting will be anonymous as this will in the end be ineffective.
            It is easy for a participant to get his/her friends to vote for their entry thus defeating the purpose of choosing the best map.

            I'd rather know who voted what and the reason why they did so (a valid reason, not just "because it's cool")
            Hmm, you do have a point. Although, I don't expect that many entrants for cheating to really be an issue. surely nobody is that sad. But, I shall change that rule just to avoid any problems.

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by The Dash
            Can I use Hammer? (Map maker for Half Life 2) cause I'm starting to learn it and shiz.
            I'd prefer you not to, since modding a PC game is a lot different to mapping in an RPG engine, so it's best to keep things fair and even.
              #14    
            Old March 3rd, 2007 (7:57 PM).
            DeM0nFiRe's Avatar
            DeM0nFiRe DeM0nFiRe is offline
            Running for Supreme Ruler :)
               
              Join Date: Aug 2006
              Age: 26
              Gender:
              Nature: Adamant
              Posts: 176
              So Dawson, When the voting starts we PM u with our vote and reason?
              __________________

              Just because DeathNote Is great
                #15    
              Old March 3rd, 2007 (9:18 PM).
              SephirothX's Avatar
              SephirothX SephirothX is offline
              a.k.a. Shadomew
                 
                Join Date: May 2005
                Location: Portland, Oregon
                Age: 25
                Gender: Male
                Nature: Lonely
                Posts: 443
                Quote:
                Originally Posted by The Dash View Post
                Hacks don't count.. This is the Games Development forum.
                Aww... Darn. I was hoping I could enter...
                __________________
                PM me if you'd like to hear some of the ideas I have for ROM hacks. I've got some subplot ideas and Fakemon that I really want in a hack... as long as I don't have do the whole hack. xD

                Poke my eggs?
                Linkin Park - Blackout | Pendulum - Watercolour
                  #16    
                Old March 4th, 2007 (4:29 AM).
                ~Azura's Avatar
                ~Azura ~Azura is offline
                Alright, purple is good.
                • Silver Tier
                 
                Join Date: Apr 2006
                Nature: Relaxed
                Posts: 511
                Are we allowed to make comments about posted maps?

                =x
                __________________
                [ Support: ]

                [ Game | Previews | Screenshots ]

                Thread returning soon, don't worry!


                Need help with something? Send me a PM!
                  #17    
                Old March 4th, 2007 (4:37 AM).
                The Dash's Avatar
                The Dash The Dash is offline
                Hurr.
                • Silver Tier
                 
                Join Date: Aug 2005
                Location: Lurking in the shadows of the Games Development fourms.
                Age: 25
                Nature: Timid
                Posts: 1,858
                Ah well, *Scraps New Bark Town deathmatch map*
                __________________

                  #18    
                Old March 4th, 2007 (4:42 AM).
                强有力's Avatar
                强有力 强有力 is offline
                Powerful
                   
                  Join Date: Oct 2006
                  Location: In Your Dreams
                  Age: 24
                  Gender:
                  Nature: Brave
                  Posts: 358
                  Dash... if you make maps... can you send them to me in pm and tell me how to put them on my counter strike. It would be funny
                    #19    
                  Old March 4th, 2007 (5:00 AM).
                  Dawson's Avatar
                  Dawson Dawson is offline
                  The Rebirth Is Upon Us
                     
                    Join Date: Apr 2004
                    Location: Rising From The Ashes
                    Gender:
                    Nature: Naughty
                    Posts: 9,728
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by DeM0nFiRe View Post
                    So Dawson, When the voting starts we PM u with our vote and reason?
                    Nah, you'll be making your votes in the thread, with your reasoning as to why you voted for the map.
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by ~Azura View Post
                    Are we allowed to make comments about posted maps?

                    =x
                    Sure, I don't see why not. As long as it's constructive, comments are always useful.

                    One further thing, guys. It'd be great if you could give your maps a name, making it easier to order and for people to decide which to vote for, especially if the same person enters more than one map.
                      #20    
                    Old March 4th, 2007 (5:12 AM).
                    ~Azura's Avatar
                    ~Azura ~Azura is offline
                    Alright, purple is good.
                    • Silver Tier
                     
                    Join Date: Apr 2006
                    Nature: Relaxed
                    Posts: 511
                    Dawson, Riverdale by Don Patch*.
                    __________________
                    [ Support: ]

                    [ Game | Previews | Screenshots ]

                    Thread returning soon, don't worry!


                    Need help with something? Send me a PM!
                      #21    
                    Old March 4th, 2007 (5:22 AM).
                    DeM0nFiRe's Avatar
                    DeM0nFiRe DeM0nFiRe is offline
                    Running for Supreme Ruler :)
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2006
                      Age: 26
                      Gender:
                      Nature: Adamant
                      Posts: 176
                      Comment for Ruyin: The part where the bridge thing crosses that railroad track and the stairs to get to it and the surrounding few tiles look a little awkward, Like the tiles aren't meant to go together.
                      __________________

                      Just because DeathNote Is great
                        #22    
                      Old March 4th, 2007 (5:46 AM).
                      ~Azura's Avatar
                      ~Azura ~Azura is offline
                      Alright, purple is good.
                      • Silver Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Apr 2006
                      Nature: Relaxed
                      Posts: 511
                      Yup, that's a common error: misuse of the tileset. That bridge was made for being over water, and shouldn't be used elsewhere.
                      Another thing too: the red sign was meant to be a red sign, not some kind of door lol

                      The last thing, more concerning the tileset you're using: the flowers and the sand should blend with the grass, however, I can see a light green square.

                      Oh, one more last thing... (sorry)

                      there are 5 tiles for grass in Pokemon, but you're using just one, making the floor look too repetitive, you know?

                      That's about it, I guess...
                      __________________
                      [ Support: ]

                      [ Game | Previews | Screenshots ]

                      Thread returning soon, don't worry!


                      Need help with something? Send me a PM!
                        #23    
                      Old March 4th, 2007 (9:05 AM).
                      The Dash's Avatar
                      The Dash The Dash is offline
                      Hurr.
                      • Silver Tier
                       
                      Join Date: Aug 2005
                      Location: Lurking in the shadows of the Games Development fourms.
                      Age: 25
                      Nature: Timid
                      Posts: 1,858
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Tyler-Chan View Post
                      Dash... if you make maps... can you send them to me in pm and tell me how to put them on my counter strike. It would be funny
                      Well I was making it for Half Life 2 : Deathmatch, not CSS.
                      __________________

                        #24    
                      Old March 4th, 2007 (3:48 PM).
                      DeM0nFiRe's Avatar
                      DeM0nFiRe DeM0nFiRe is offline
                      Running for Supreme Ruler :)
                         
                        Join Date: Aug 2006
                        Age: 26
                        Gender:
                        Nature: Adamant
                        Posts: 176
                        hmm... well this is goin a little off topic... lol

                        anyway, so far all these maps are lookin pretty good. It'll prolly be a close one
                        __________________

                        Just because DeathNote Is great
                          #25    
                        Old March 5th, 2007 (12:38 AM).
                        Ruyin's Avatar
                        Ruyin Ruyin is offline
                        Skilled RMXP Mapper
                           
                          Join Date: Dec 2006
                          Location: Australia
                          Age: 23
                          Gender:
                          Nature: Calm
                          Posts: 73
                          Yeah I know it looks funny. I made in like 10 minutes just for this comp so I'm not too stressed.
                          __________________
                          Hey everyone I'm Ryruyin now!
                          Closed Thread

                          Quick Reply

                          Join the conversation!

                          Create an account to post a reply in this thread, participate in other discussions, and more!

                          Create a PokéCommunity Account

                          Sponsored Links
                          Thread Tools

                          Posting Rules
                          You may not post new threads
                          You may not post replies
                          You may not post attachments
                          You may not edit your posts

                          BB code is On
                          Smilies are On
                          [IMG] code is On
                          HTML code is Off

                          Forum Jump


                          All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:34 AM.