• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pronunciations

Ichida

The Zealous Blue Partizan
Years
  • Any Pokemon's name pronunciations surprise you? I just destroyed Taylor's Bibarel, and the announcer pronounced it "Bee-barrel." Before then I had always said "Bib'a-rell." Same with Rotom. I was saying "wrote-om," but the announcer said "Row-Tom." Anyone else get surprised like this?

Scyther5

One DEAD GUTTED Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 19, 2011
    Yeah! I was hoping to see how the announcer would say Pachirisu. One of the ones I noticed was Fortress, I said it like Fort-tress and the announcer said Foret-tress. Its happened alot with other pokemon too, thats just the only one I can recall.

Ichida

Years
  • Yeah, I always said "Pa'cheer-E-su," then he calls it "Pah-chi'ree-su." Weird. I never liked Pachirisu that much anyways.

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
    Years
  • My sister gets annoyed whenever the announcer says "muh-rill", and accent on the "ril", instead of "mair-il", with the long A and accent on the "mair" (sorry, pronunciations are hard for me to explain).

I was hoping this would be a good way to hear the correct pronunciations of the less common or already passed Pokémon, with regards to the anime, but now I don't think it will be as reliable as I would want. -_- Still nice though, so can't complain much.

Caleb290

Pokemon Master!
    Years
  • Yeah I dont have the game yet but on the tv show they dont even say it right... err unless I say it wrong.. but I wish the names would be more simple like "Bob" or 'Fred" haha now they come up with hippipodon or something

RSL

RaikouSpecialLover
    Years
  • I pronounce:
    Pachirisu PAH-chih-riz
    Ekans EE-cans
    Misdreavus MISS-dree-vuss
    Mismagius MISS-mag-us
    Linonne LIE-oon
    Grotle GROW-tle

Yet apprantly Gates hasn't gotten the drift.

I know there are multiple pronounciations for the word Pokemon (in my case, Gates is saying it wrong; it's KAH, not KEY or KAY.), and there may be multiple sayings for some Pogeys too. Remember, you can always turn that option off if you're pissed.

OffRoadSP

Still working on Sun & Moon...
    Years
  • Here's one I noticed yesterday... the announcer says "Pon-NE-ta" instead of "PON-ne-ta". But yeah, minor gripes for an overall cool game.

NocturnLeader

Team Nocturn Leader
    Years
  • The announcer get annoying a times, but ya he does say the names wierd. I was like... um dude you Pronounced it wrong, say it with me now Pony-TA!

I hate when he says "PPPPPPP is slowly losing health..." and he saounds kind of geeky towards the end.

Ichida

Years
  • I know there are multiple pronounciations for the word Pokemon (in my case, Gates is saying it wrong; it's KAH, not KEY or KAY.)

It is supposed to be Poh-kay-mon, since the e is accented, as with the word anime. The only reason anyone thinks otherwise is because the actors read it wrong. I'm guessing their scriptwriters don't bother to insert an accented e into the scripts.

Zyph

Game developer. Hax0rz!
    Years
  • Kyogre

I pronounce it Kio-grey. He pronounces it Kai-oger

And Ponyta. I prononce it like Pony-ta. He says Ponita.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I noticed this too. Normally, for pronounciations I just go with the anime, which makes it annoy me when the announcer pronounces Togetic as "Toh-ge-tik" with an emphasis on the "ge", as opposed to the "Toh-guh-tick" in the show.

However, the accented e is at the END of anime. If it's in the MIDDLE, it's anyone's guess.

...?? Um, Ichida's right...

ThatInsaneKid

Imma PokeNerd!!! lol :B
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2009
    One Pokemon I hate most is Roserade. I pronounce it "Roser-odd". He pronounces it "Rose-rade". I can't stand it.

That's really the only one I've noticed so far ((seeing as how I don't actually own the game... Or a Wii...)), but there's a few others that bugged me that I can't remember.

Mizer

That a Banana in Your Pocket?
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 27, 2007
    Feraligatr

What does that sound like according to the announcer?

RSL

RaikouSpecialLover
    Years
  • I noticed this too. Normally, for pronounciations I just go with the anime, which makes it annoy me when the announcer pronounces Togetic as "Toh-ge-tik" with an emphasis on the "ge", as opposed to the "Toh-guh-tick" in the show.

...?? Um, Ichida's right...

How so? The accented e is in the MIDDLE, not the END. Besides, if I hear anyone say it as KEY or KAY, I will litterally ask them "What year is it?" Answer that question correctly, then I'll say that your pronounciation is still stuck in the '90's, because it changed after the fad died down.

от_Ian

Original Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2007
    it's possible the announcer has a messed up accent.

also, I have not been surprised by the pronounciations that I've read, including the OP.

Pkmn Trainer Alex

K i n g // of Knights
    Years
  • Pokémon is just Pocket Monsters put together, as that is a common occurrence in Japanese. Pocket Monster would be pronounced "Po-ke-to Mon-sta", with emphasis put on the "ke". So the "kay" pronunciation is what makes sense, though more subtle.

Po-keh-mon. ^^;

Back