• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime vs Manga?

Do you prefer the anime or manga?

• Anime

Votes: 21 47.7%
  • Manga

Votes: 23 52.3%

• Total voters

drarixio

Charging up since '89
    Years
    Which one is better? I just read 3 chapters of the manga today and I'm in love...
    The anime has dragged on too long to get anymore interesting.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    Aww, a really hard choice, I love both ! :pink_frown:
    Anime, it's my childhood, there is so much nostalgia when I think of it...
    And I begun to read the mange recently, it's simply awesome, and more suitable for older fans like me (I mean, as soon as you're about 12-13, anime become a little childish, even if you like it).
    But I have to choose the anime. The manga didn't make me love Pokémon, anime did. I was every morning in front of my TV not to miss the daily episode, I almost cry when I got my first Pokémon video tape... Anime is too many memories for me, I can't not to choose it.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I personally like the manga better, as some of the things in the anime frustrate me deeply at times such as how Pikachu conveniently becomes stronger or weaker to fit the plot.

Palladium

2012 FTW!
    Years
    Although nowadays I don't read neither, I think the manga is better, because they (characters) escape the boring routine of "Ash gets to the league, Ash loses,Ash travels, Ash's noob, Ash gets to the league, R&R" It's boring, and they (anime team) don't do anything to make it better

Neosquid

♦ Darkness ♦
    Years
    I remember the early episodes of the anime being okay, but Pokemon Adventures is just awesome.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    I enjoy both.

I love the anime for the nostalgia, and sometimes I like it because of characters that don't appear in the manga.

I absolutely love the manga, especially the Masked Man, but I feel that they absolutely ruined Silver's personality. They turned him into another Kai Hiwatari and he became nice once you got to know him... He had absolutely no temper at all and put up with too much crap from other people. He lost all the fire that he had in the games, which made him my favorite character since I was 12 and probably under. So. The manga was slightly ruined for me because of that.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    I feel that Anime is more directed towards kids (like... elementary school), because I even feel immature watching some of the recent episodes, and the way characters talk sound like it caters to children (but again, that's just me). The plots are not too bad for kids, though. I do feel differently about older episodes, because they were part of childhood and I felt it's much better than recent episodes. Manga is for more of mature audiences, I believe, and have a superior character development compared to that of anime's, old or new. Therefore I'll pick Manga.

tl;dr: Manga.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    Ehh, I have no particular liking for both. The anime has just grown out of me, while the manga (and even other mangas, not just Pokemon manga) bores me. But I suppose if I were a bit younger and less old, I'd choose the anime for a couple of reasons that relates to my childhood memories.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Unlike most people here, I prefer the anime because I grew up watching it. I still read the manga sometimes.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    My answer will be Pokemon Special of course. The character and their personality just make me obsessed to Pokemon.
    I don't care if they aren't moving, since most battles are enjoyable.
    If only they could give them at least voice actor in a form of drama cd or character song.

as for the anime, their problem is that the main character. nuff said.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    I love the anime. The manga I never really liked. I just never liked how serious they would make the plot with the possibility of characters and Pokemon dying, etc. Or the fact that the protagonist don't have actual names just the names of the version of the generations they're in.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
    To me the manga is better because it deals wiht the more serious nature nature of pokemon. People can die and it's not all goody-two-shoes like the anime. The anime is good but it's more focused on kids while the manga is for the older fans.

That girl!

Oopsie, my fault.
    Years
    Haven't read much of the manga but I say it's better. The anime bases their storyline from the manga anyway. Hmm or is it otherwise? The manga has more uniqueness into it and where Ash Ketchum is not the eternal protag

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    It really depends which manga you're talking about. People seem to forget there's more than one. If you're talking about Special/Adventures, you can't really compare that to the anime, because they're so different. They deal with different characters, different plots, different ideas and a different genre to appeal to a different audience. The only manga I'd go comparing to the anime is the Electric Tale of Pikachu, which I can't really comment on as I haven't read very much of it. On balance, I'd say anime over EtoP, though. The anime's actually not all that bad, especially the Japanese version. English dub is meh, take it or leave it.

If I was to consider the anime vs the Special manga, Special would win hands down. It's just so much more involved. It does everything fanfiction authors dream of doing to the canon.

Lockmaster24

Wise words of FizzyStardust
    Years
    Pokemon special any day. It just has awesome all over it and an actual concept of time. I mean I'm sure it's great and all but at least let Ash age to 11 or 12 just to show he actual has done something.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    To me the manga is better because it deals wiht the more serious nature nature of pokemon. People can die and it's not all goody-two-shoes like the anime. The anime is good but it's more focused on kids while the manga is for the older fans.
    Not all of it is goody two-shoes white washed stuff. Latios supposedly died in Pokemon Heros, and Hunter J and her crew were presumed dead after the crash. Ash and Pikachu were killed in The Tower of Terror, albeit it really wasn't anything serious in nature but none the less they did die for a brief period of time. Movies do portray a bit more of a serious side opposed to a majority of the anime episodes though.

As for the topic at hand I have a preference for the Anime. I have read part of the Manga I liked it, but for some reason I couldn't get into it like I do the Anime. I will admit there are some inconsistencies with the anime and I don't like it any more then the next person but I still have a huge passion for it none the less.

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
    I really liked the anime until some point in the Hoenn arc, when I just stopped watching. I still love that manga though. In my opinion, it has the best story in the franchise.

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
    I haven't been able to read any of the manga! :( I can't seem to find it anywhere...
    But I do like the anime too. Mostly just Seasons 1-5 though. Those were really good. I do watch the current episodes too, but I feel that they're lacking and don't really stick to me as well as the first episodes did. Maybe it's just because of childhood nostalgia?? I dunno...

Back