• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think this is funny?

Jirachi

is made of gold
Years
  • Pokemon aired two episodes featuring Santa, Jynx, and Stantler before.
    It seems funny to me because Japanese are not christians.
    Or maybe those where English-only shows complemented by the Japanese?

Iveechan

based on a paperclip
    Years
  • I've heard that the Japanese still enjoy Christmas, even if it isn't celebrated in the same way Christians do. And your signature is like really, really long.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • I think they've picked up (and greatly enjoy) the material aspects of Christmas and the whole Santa Claus deal...in Japan I think it's just an excuse to buy things for other people *shrug*

Berkut Nightwolf

"From Russia with Love"
    Years
  • I had heard that that particular episode was aired only in the States because it would have little relevance to the audience in Japan. I believe that about 1-2% of the Japanese population is Christian, though, so there's got to be some frame of reference to go on...Oh, well.

But I think Chairman Kaga's probably correct. Although in terms of the way Japanese children take Christmas, I think it's more like "Japanese kids are grateful, American kids are greedy."

Years
  • Yup. Gotta love them corrupt Americans! (what am I saying, I'm one too!)

I believe those two episodes were released in Japan as well. The thing is, the producers wanted Pok?mon to be an international hit, not just in Japan. Therefore, since many countries around the world are Christian, they have to make these episodes to hopefully catch their attention, especially the United States.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
  • Santa's a dumb idea though. I mean he's not real. I never thought it made sense to lie to your kids about this big fat man who gives presents and just ignore the true meaning of Christmas. Why not talk about Jesus? That's what Christmas is about. Oh well, nothing I can do about it. :P

Evil Togepi

Yu-Gi-Oh GX owns my SOUL!
    Years
  • Yeah I remember reading somewhere that yes, the Japanese DO celebrate Christmas but as it's been said they celebrate it a bit differently. Even though Christmas tecniqully IS a religious holiday in a fashion I celebrate it even though I'm not religious in any shape or form, I just think many people have many different ideas on how to celebrate it...
    ...to me it's a holiday in which you acknolwage the people around you and give them gifts ^^ Oh and it's a good excuse for putting up shiney decorations in the house X3

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Odd thing is, on other shows I've seen that are from Japan (Iron Chef for example) there have been Christmas editions, and not only just mentions Christmas but these shows have included many things that would seem traditional to us. I've even heard it referenced to as the "Holy Night", referring to the religious side of Christmas, but I'm not sure if that was the literal dub or made that way by the english dubbers.

And the Japanese don't have to understand a holiday for it to be included on pokemon...they made that Boys' Day episode likely knowing it would eventually go to America, and I doubt that 1% of America knows that Boys' Day is (the celebration of boys becoming samurai)...then again, they just pass a lot of things off on the American version as festivals ^_~

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Oh, it's been way too long since I've seen it...it's Kanto, I know that for sure... *thinks*

The Purr-fect...something...

Ah! The Purrfect Hero, that's the name.

Years
  • Chairman Kaga said:
    Oh, it's been way too long since I've seen it...it's Kanto, I know that for sure... *thinks*

The Purr-fect...something...

Ah! The Purrfect Hero, that's the name.
    I thought that was kids day...so you're saying that even though Kids w.b doesn't mind advertising a day where girls get to have boys do stuff they want to do but doesn't want to advertise a day where boys can become samurais...I guess it'd scare some boys about being forced to become samurais, but boys would also be scared of the concept of 'princess day'
    Like this-
    Boy:It's princess day. Girl: yes, it is.
    Boy:I hate it. Girl: Go jump off a cliff.
    Boy:Okay.*Jumps off cliff*

To the Christmas thing, lots of animes really do celebrate Christmas.
    Even Hamtaro does! Santa Claus may not be real, but parents may think
    the true story is too complicated, besides, it's a funny idea to bounce off, lots of american cartoons have Santa Claus appear too. Actually, Santa Claus is real, there was a person named Nicholas, and when he died people of his religion made him a 'saint' Making him 'St.Nicholas' I don't really know what religion it is that makes people 'saints' when they die, I think it's catholic or something. Well, it may not be true he did become a 'saint' if you're not Catholic, but still, there was a man named 'Nicholas' which is where Santa Claus came from, I don't know how he became associated with Christmas though. Does anyone know?

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
  • Saint Nicholas just became wrapped up in a legend that originally didn't involve him somehow...kinda like how people associate Saint Patrick with Leprechauns and four-leaf clovers all that nowadays when in reality he brought Christianity to Ireland.

And I don't think boys' day was meant to FORCE boys to become samurais, I think it was just a celebration for the boys who were becoming samurais (kind of like a graduation day or something maybe? ) I'm just sort of guessing though ^_^;;

100marios

Reigning Dork Champion of PC
    Years
  • Jeikobu said:
    Santa's a dumb idea though. I mean he's not real. I never thought it made sense to lie to your kids about this big fat man who gives presents and just ignore the true meaning of Christmas. Why not talk about Jesus? That's what Christmas is about. Oh well, nothing I can do about it. :P
    What?
    Sorry to disagree, but what's so bad about Santa? It's all just for harmless fun anyway. It gets people into the Christmas spirit!
    Also, for people who don't believe in Jesus, Santa is the symbol (for some of them at least). It's not like they can teach about Jesus in schools either, when that time of year comes around.
    I have to agree with you about the true meaning though. Sometimes, people let the whole Christmas shopping thing take hold of them so much, they forget about what Christmas is about.

Uh, anyways hehe....

I never thought of that before.....
    Maybe they're trying to widen their show to more audiences....
    Who knows!

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
    Years
  • Berkut Nightwolf said:
    I had heard that that particular episode was aired only in the States because it would have little relevance to the audience in Japan. I believe that about 1-2% of the Japanese population is Christian, though, so there's got to be some frame of reference to go on...Oh, well.

But I think Chairman Kaga's probably correct. Although in terms of the way Japanese children take Christmas, I think it's more like "Japanese kids are grateful, American kids are greedy."
    Actually it did air in Japan, but I doubt many of them saw it. See, it aired the week after the Porygon episode in Japan when parents were concerned if the episode would cause seizures to their kids, heh. Maybe it was just ironic or maybe they aired it then on purpose, one can only wonder....

Years
  • They celebrate Christmas in Japan...
    It's just not as big as it is here.
    They give out presents on Christmas Eve and have some decorations up.
    But By the middle of Christmas Day they're already taking the decorations down ><

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Umm..have you even spent a x-mas there? It's huge the decor is up for a really long time there are parades and ton's of stuff...I really dont like *** the ameriocan's took the saint nickoles thing out of context i mean c'mon before he was a respectable saint now he's a jolly fat man...thank you very much coke...

sdp

raver
    Years
  • Chairman Kaga said:
    I think they've picked up (and greatly enjoy) the material aspects of Christmas and the whole Santa Claus deal...in Japan I think it's just an excuse to buy things for other people *shrug*
    It's just an excuse to buy gifts here too.

Back