• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dub or Sub?

Which do you prefer, dubbed anime or subtitled anime?

• Dubbed

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Subtitled

Votes: 22 78.6%

• Total voters

swordkirby537

Captain of the Cheese
Years
  • Well I like it dubbed unless its dubbed by a crappy company like 4kids. I'd rather see it subtitled than butchered to ****.

(EDIT: Why is H-E-L-L censored? Just curious.)

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Oh, subbed definitely. Some of the dubs done these days?mostly by CN on Adult Swim aren?t bad perse?I?ve just grown to dislike English voices, especially in video games. I?m already quite comfortable with closed captions for regular TV anyways. Reading doesn?t bother me at all.

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
    Years
  • Subbed all the way! Down with the dub! *lol* Anyway as you can see, I chose subtitled because I think most dubs either make too edits, their voice actors completely suck or they can't act 1/2 as good as the Japanese ones and the characters emotion isn't protrayed properly. And of course 4Kids is like the master of doing all of the above. :P Sometimes there is also the case of bad translation like 4Kids did with Mewtwo Strikes Back and Pokemon Heroes.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • Subbed. I mean, the only 2 dubs that aregood are InuYasha and Gundam Wing...whereas subs they're all good.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • A lot of members are uptight about stuff like that, so it's probably just best that we keep it censored. @_@;

But anyway, I love subs. ^_^; Something about being able to listen in another language and read translations fascinates me. Plus, you can pick up new words and it helps me with my listening in Japanese. ;p

._. And most subs are actually *gasp* translated properly. I've been poisoned by seeing several animes side-by-side with their TV Dub versions and their original subtitled versions and... I'm just happier with the subs. x.o;

*had more to add, but completely forgot it* @_@

Seoul

diiirr!
    Years
  • I dont have much experience in this, but i have overall found that the constant text that needs to be read keeps my eyes too occupied.. thus i cannot watch the animation etc, which is what i want to stare at.. not text necessarily. But japanese voices are funnuh. (:
    I hear that 4Kids butchers.. but.. how exactly is it they do it? by cutting out much dialog, rearranging things, and cutting scenes that they dont feel are necessary/appropriate?.. [if they dont cut some scenes, atleast in pokemon, then some american company just bands the episode.. ><]

[Ok. I totally dont belong in this forum. ^__^]
    *leaves as randomly as he entered*

Evil Togepi

Yu-Gi-Oh GX owns my SOUL!
    Years
  • Well I can be half and half on it, I actually enjoy the dub of Pok?mon I guess cos it's the dub I'm more used to although that wasn't the case with Yugioh once I started watching the raws of that I saw how evilly bad the dubbed version of that show is X_x; (*Although I still enjoy watching it cos I'm a fangirl of the Shadow Realm...best place ever XD*)

So I will choose subbed mostly due to the fact it's great to see an anime in tact with it's Original Japanese sound over it, the japanese actors are so much more better at doing emotion, when a character screams with emotinal pain....you really do feel like crying, plus as Lightning said you do start picking up on words and such while watching subs :)

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Oh GOD!!! How dare dubbers cut evrything out all the time!!! It just annoys me so >_<

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • are you guys CRAZY!?!

Dubbed all the way (unless of course, the voices are completely off, like a hulking brute being dubbed by the voice of a little girl)

If it's subbed, then you're always focusing on the words and not the action of the screen...shizzah mama!

BOO ya!

aaaaaa

I can tollerate the dubs for Tekkaman, and Mononoke Hime.
    But thats about the extent of it all.
    Subs > Dubs

fudge01

Uzumaki Naruto!
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    DUBS OWN they are the best 0_o more acturate than the subs i watch o_0 o lve the dub of pokemon yugioh and final fantasy unlimited i have never watched a dub where there voces are off

TechieT

The Techie Master
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 26, 2006
    Subbed, just because I can do two things at once and it's really funny when someone can't read very fast.

aaaaaa

DUBS OWN they are the best 0_o more acturate than the subs i watch o_0 o lve the dub of pokemon yugioh and final fantasy unlimited i have never watched a dub where there voces are off

All I can say is..are you stupid?
    Have you ever SEEN a subbed anime? Seems to me you haven't.
    Compare Mononoke.
    Ashi-taka, explaining his curse

Sub: "Even now, it rots my flesh, and burns at my soul."
    Dub: "It's killing me, slowly, but surely"

Um..yeah, the dub does *great* justice

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Dakota said:
    If it's subbed, then you're always focusing on the words and not the action of the screen...shizzah mama!
    Actually, the more subs you watch, the better you get at reading subtitles. You learn to read them extremely fast, then you still get the time to concentrate on everything else in the scene. ^_^;

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
  • Subs. They rock. A lot of anime clubs I've visted once watch dubs, and that's why I've never returned. Something about dubs just weirds me out a bit. Maybe there's some mischaracterazation in there, or something, but I never really liked them.

Back