PDA

View Full Version : [Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Roconza
June 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
Check this out:

http://www.rpg-palace.com/downloads/details.php?id=2

I'm not asking for the mode-7 script, I'm asking how and if you use it with this starter kit.

~JV~
June 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
the mode 7 script is already included with the kit, just change the view option in game on the options menu.

Alexandre
June 23rd, 2009, 03:31 PM
I was curious, are mode 7 scripts compatible with this kit? If so what steps would be needed to integrate it? Would it be very heavy scripting?
The mode 7 included with Essentials is extremley buggy, I wouldn't suggest using it. The newer mode 7 scripts need to be modified in order to be used with Essentials, both Luka (Drago_Champ) and I have tried modifing it, with not much success.

Soul.//Silver
June 23rd, 2009, 07:42 PM
How do I set Cave encounters in Pokemon Essentials? It isn't listed when defining encounter types in a map.
EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out

Roconza
June 23rd, 2009, 08:22 PM
The mode 7 included with Essentials is extremely buggy, I wouldn't suggest using it. The newer mode 7 scripts need to be modified in order to be used with Essentials, both Luka (Drago_Champ) and I have tried modifying it, with not much success.

Yay, noticed that too. I get some really weird glitches. I have very limited scripting skills so I may drop the idea altogether.

Zephyra
June 23rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
If I want to make a city that takes up two tiles on the region map, would I separate the city into two maps? If so, how do I make it so if you use fly on the tile without the Pokemon Center, it goes to the map with the Pokemon center?

Fraot
June 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM
I was play testing and... wtf? There's no female sprite when on bike: there's only 1, actually i can make it female but i need 2 bike sprites! How should i name the female bike sprite sprite?

I meant, the OverWorld on-bike sprite...

batale
June 24th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Sorry if this has been answered already but I couldn't find anything about it!

For some reason I don't know, when i try to playtest my game I now get this error:

Exception: Errno::EACCES
Compiler:611:in `initialize'
Compiler:611:in `open'
Compiler:611:in `pbCompileTownMap'
Compiler:3504:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:3636

I have tried everything I can think of to fix it, but with no luck.

Any help would really be appreciated!

videogamemaster
June 24th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Why can't I add sounds to the Pokemon's battle moves? I'm using the Animation Editor thing, and when I save the sound to the attack, it always deletes the sound when I exit the Editor! What am I doing wrong?

thepsynergist
June 25th, 2009, 01:08 PM
use the built in editor in RMXP. Set teh sound to frame 1 or something.

I have a question, I can't seem to get the ledges to work one way. In my game, the ledges let you jump from the top and the bottom. How can I fix it so that you can only jump from the top.

Maruno
June 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
If I want to make a city that takes up two tiles on the region map, would I separate the city into two maps? If so, how do I make it so if you use fly on the tile without the Pokemon Center, it goes to the map with the Pokemon center?
As I understand it, you look at each square of the region map in turn, and say which map it belongs with. I assume it's possible to make multiple squares belong to a single map; otherwise, how would larger Routes work?

And since you've made the city squares all point to the same map, Flying to any one of them will take you to the PokéCentre in that city.

Zephyra
June 25th, 2009, 04:58 PM
As I understand it, you look at each square of the region map in turn, and say which map it belongs with. I assume it's possible to make multiple squares belong to a single map; otherwise, how would larger Routes work?

And since you've made the city squares all point to the same map, Flying to any one of them will take you to the PokéCentre in that city.
My only problem with that is getting the player on the town map to change its location depending on which part of the city that you are in.

Alternatively, I could make it so that the town map location is centered on the city, but that would require the Town map grid to be 16x16 rather than 32x32 for the square and L shaped cities

Wichu
June 26th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I have a question, I can't seem to get the ledges to work one way. In my game, the ledges let you jump from the top and the bottom. How can I fix it so that you can only jump from the top.
In the tileset tab in the database, you can set tiles to be passable only from certain directions. Simply make your ledge tiles only passable from above (only one of the 4 arrows should be on).
My only problem with that is getting the player on the town map to change its location depending on which part of the city that you are in.

Alternatively, I could make it so that the town map location is centered on the city, but that would require the Town map grid to be 16x16 rather than 32x32 for the square and L shaped cities
In Amethyst, each tile on the world map is equivalent to a fixed number of tiles on the OW map. D/P use this system too. This means it's possible to modify the script to incorporate this, if your maps follow the same rule; simply find the script which checks the world map tile you're on, and then increase it by the player's X and Y divided by the number of tiles each world map tile corresponds to. For example, if you have 32 tiles per world map tile (like D/P), you'd find the X and Y of the world map tile normally, then add $game_player.x/32 and $game_player.y/32. This would give you the correct world map tile.

thepsynergist
June 26th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Thank you Wichu. That helped me a bunch, even the simplest things can be hard to figure out.

Surf
June 26th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I have a question.
Is it possible to have a double battle, like the one with Steven in Emerald, in Pokemon Essentials?

Pokemon Pyrite
June 26th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I think this has already been asked but how do I get the pokemon overworlds from D/P/PT to work on pokemon essentials and the overworld trainer sprites?

BlazingLink
June 26th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Ok, I've seen a lot of perspective questions, so I'm gonna do this.

I'm currently working on a project to turn some tiles into a DP style layout in the game.

Megiddo-san
June 26th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I'm receiving the following error when I try to leave the first map of the game. Directory Game\Data is corrupted. It was working fine until now. I only edited a warp on another map and an overworld.

Ty 101
June 27th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I'm receiving the following error when I try to leave the first map of the game. Directory Game\Data is corrupted. It was working fine until now. I only edited a warp on another map and an overworld.

If you have a backup I would just add the new files and use the backup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a question.
Is it possible to have a double battle, like the one with Steven in Emerald, in Pokemon Essentials?

This is addressed in the notes.

It is called Partner trainers.

Here is a quote from the notes:

"
Partner Trainers

In Pokémon Essentials, a partner trainer can be registered so that he or she will appear as the player's partner in Pokémon battles. To register a partner, use a Script event command:
pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::PkMnTRAINER_Cheryl,"Cheryl",0) The first parameter is the internal name of the partner's trainer type, and the second parameter is the partner's name. The parameter shown here as 0 is optional, it indicates which party to use for the partner trainer. To define the partner, choose "Edit Trainers" from the Pokémon Essentials Editor (editor.exe).
The partner will be registered as long as the player remains on the same map. To deregister the partner, use a Script event command:
pbDeregisterPartner Special rules apply when the player is accompanied by a partner. First, the entire party will be healed at the end of the battle; and second, all opposing trainers must have at least two Pokemon with them. It is interesting, though, to make sure two opposing trainers face each other on the map.
This feature can be used in combination with Dependent Events (file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Kids/Desktop/Poccil%27s%20Starter%20Kit/notes.html#dependentevents).
The back of the trainer is to be placed in Graphics/Pictures/ and has a filename of trbackXXX.png, where XXX is the trainer type's ID number (see [[Trainer Backs]]). Trainer backs for partner trainers and other trainers are defined in the same way.
"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for my question.

How come when I walk up to the water on the island auto tile I can walk on the tiles around the edges of the 3X3 tile section.
This causes a problem if you are using the kyledove island tiles.

How can I fix this.

If I need to explain this better just tell me.

Nyu~♥!
June 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Hey peoples, I need help with the Rival name script:

$ game_variables [25] =
pbEnterText("Rival's name?",1,7,"Gary")

I got this staright from the notes. When I try to play the game and get to the name entry, it says this:

Interpreter:258:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1652:in `command_355'
Interpreter:496:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:190:in `update'
Interpreter:104:in `loop'
Interpreter:195:in `update'
Scene_Map:100:in `update'
Scene_Map:98:in `loop'
Scene_Map:111:in `update'
Scene_Map:67:in `main'
Exception: RuntimeError
(eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'compile error
(eval):2: syntax error
("Rival's name?",1,7,"Gary")
^
***Line '("Rival's name?",1,7,"Gary")' shouldn't begin with '(', try putting '(' at
the end of the last line
***Full script:
$game_variables[25]=pbEnterText
("Rival's name?",1,7,"Gary")

This is the EXACT error log it gives me... can someone please help? I tried what it says but it doesn't work..

masterboog
June 28th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Ok, now I don't actually have RMXp yet and neither do I have the illegal one. I was going to get the legal one but you said it does not work with the legal one. Has that been changed? Can I buy the real one and still use the kit or do I have to get the illegal one? Sorry for me being a noob.

ArthurMaker
June 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hello!

I have a question.
I would like to know how to do it for a selected menu of Pokémon Pokemons walk behind the Hero / Heroine, as in the remake.

Example:
You Take the option on when I select a Pokémon on my team in the Menu of pokemons. Next select the option and leave the menu. The Pokémon commeça selected me to follow. When I do not want to follow me no more Pokémon, I pokemons from the menu again and choose a Pokémon who is walking behind me. Instead of appearing to follow option now appears not to follow. Select this option, leave the menu disappears and the Pokémon back to the Hero / Heroine.

I ask for you to help me solve this question.
Thanks already!
Goodbye!

Nyu~♥!
June 28th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Hello!

I have a question.
I would like to know how to do it for a selected menu of Pokémon Pokemons walk behind the Hero / Heroine, as in the remake.

Example:
You Take the option on when I select a Pokémon on my team in the Menu of pokemons. Next select the option and leave the menu. The Pokémon commeça selected me to follow. When I do not want to follow me no more Pokémon, I pokemons from the menu again and choose a Pokémon who is walking behind me. Instead of appearing to follow option now appears not to follow. Select this option, leave the menu disappears and the Pokémon back to the Hero / Heroine.

I ask for you to help me solve this question.
Thanks already!
Goodbye!

I might be able to help, but your english isn't too good. ^^; Could you please restate that? I think I know what you're saying but I'm not sure...

Ty 101
June 28th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Ok, now I don't actually have RMXp yet and neither do I have the illegal one. I was going to get the legal one but you said it does not work with the legal one. Has that been changed? Can I buy the real one and still use the kit or do I have to get the illegal one? Sorry for me being a noob.

I have the legal version of rmxp and I am using the starter kit.

----------------------

I keep getting a message saying that a trainer type does not exist and when I run the editor to add it the error comes up and the editor stops.
how can I get around this.
If you want the error just ask.

Atomic Reactor
June 28th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Try adding the trainer manually on the notepad file?

Wichu
June 29th, 2009, 02:29 AM

Of course it works with the legal one. Who said that it wouldn't work? They either made a mistake, or you read it wrong... It's designed for the legal version; using the illegal version is what might cause problems.

Ty 101
June 29th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Try adding the trainer manually on the notepad file?

It is in the notepad file but, for some reason the game does not think so.

Fraot
June 29th, 2009, 07:06 AM
I might be able to help, but your english isn't too good. ^^; Could you please restate that? I think I know what you're saying but I'm not sure...

He/She said that he/she wants to know how to make the pokémon to follow you, like on HeartGold and Soulsilver. I only know about the dependency script but it only works with events, not with pokémon(like Brawly on the starter kit)... i think.

But if you can help him/her, i'd be glad, because i want little help on that too.

videogamemaster
June 29th, 2009, 07:08 AM
use the built in editor in RMXP. Set teh sound to frame 1 or something.

thank you! i was really stuck on that for some reason and this helps a lot!

Nyu~♥!
June 29th, 2009, 11:03 AM
He/She said that he/she wants to know how to make the pokémon to follow you, like on HeartGold and Soulsilver. I only know about the dependency script but it only works with events, not with pokémon(like Brawly on the starter kit)... i think.

But if you can help him/her, i'd be glad, because i want little help on that too.

Okay, this might work:

Script: pbAddDependency2(@event_id,"POKEMON",2)
pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::POKEMONNAME,
"POKEMON")

Well, actually I'm using pokestarter, so this may not work if you're not. What I would do is grab the bitmap for the pokemon, but use it as a trainer. But, you would not be able to choose a pokemon. (I guess this is why D/P has only a few qualifying).

You would have to add it to the trainers.txt. thingy, but it would say it was a trainer. So, no, I don't really know if this would work.

Sorry.

And someone, please answer the question I posted earlier. I really need help!!

Surf
June 29th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Okay, this might work:

Script: pbAddDependency2(@event_id,"POKEMON",2)
pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::POKEMONNAME,
"POKEMON")

Well, actually I'm using pokestarter, so this may not work if you're not. What I would do is grab the bitmap for the pokemon, but use it as a trainer. But, you would not be able to choose a pokemon. (I guess this is why D/P has only a few qualifying).

You would have to add it to the trainers.txt. thingy, but it would say it was a trainer. So, no, I don't really know if this would work.

Sorry.

And someone, please answer the question I posted earlier. I really need help!!

You don't need the register partner, if the event is a Pokemon, that makes every battle a double battle.

Minorthreat0987
June 29th, 2009, 07:25 PM
So I am going to ask this once again (expecting the same response) but they is a code that you can put in a call script function to mid event turn a self switch on for another event, which is very useful, can some one tell me what that code is?

Please help, I know it can be done, I have used it many times during Golden Heights and Iridium, but in all the hard drive crashes I lost all of my scripts and game files So its difficult to find everything I had before.

Fraot
June 29th, 2009, 09:00 PM
So I am going to ask this once again (expecting the same response) but they is a code that you can put in a call script function to mid event turn a self switch on for another event, which is very useful, can some one tell me what that code is?

Please help, I know it can be done, I have used it many times during Golden Heights and Iridium, but in all the hard drive crashes I lost all of my scripts and game files So its difficult to find everything I had before.

According to my experience it's not possible and also unnecessary activating self swtiches by foreign(just to give them a name) events, by simply calling it "SELF Switch" you can notice. Self Switches are used for events to do something to themselves if you want to activate things, activate Switches that's what you should do, they were made for that cause.

OAK
June 30th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Hello together! ^^
I have a question and it would be really nice if you can help me.

I have started to make a game with poccils amazing starter kit. ( The lastet version: February 3, 2009.)
But the scripts are a bit difficult for me. :(
I've tried to make a Celebi Event, but for this, I need a WildBattle script.
So I looked into the advanced topics, that is in the starter kit.
I've found this under PokemonField :
pbWildBattle(species,level,variable=nil,canescape=true)

I thought thats easy. I've made an event with this script.
The script was: pbWildBattle(CELEBI,30,variable=nil,canescape=true)
But the only thing what I got was a ERROR...

Could anyone help me?
( Sorry if my english is bad, I'm from germany...)

Maruno
June 30th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hello together! ^^
I have a question and it would be really nice if you can help me.

I have started to make a game with poccils amazing starter kit. ( The lastet version: February 3, 2009.)
But the scripts are a bit difficult for me. :(
I've tried to make a Celebi Event, but for this, I need a WildBattle script.
So I looked into the advanced topics, that is in the starter kit.
I've found this under PokemonField :
pbWildBattle(species,level,variable=nil,canescape=true)

I thought thats easy. I've made an event with this script.
The script was: pbWildBattle(CELEBI,30,variable=nil,canescape=true)
But the only thing what I got was a ERROR...

Could anyone help me?
( Sorry if my english is bad, I'm from germany...)
That's what you need, yes. Your problem probably comes from the limited width of the "insert script" text box where you put that script in. What that would do is cut the script into two halves, and if it's cut in the wrong place then it won't work.

When you've got the window open to type in that script, look in your main game folder and run "extendtext.exe". That should help things to work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question.

How do multiple regions work? Specifically, I want to have multiple Regional Dexes, and I'm asking about how a pokémon can be given a list of Regional Dex numbers. I tried putting in lines like the following, and came up with the error message below.

RegionalNumbers=60,81,100,0

This means the pokémon is regional number 60 in Region A, number 81 in Region B, number 1000 in Region C and is not in Region D. That's what the Notes say (see below).

Here's the error:

---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Message: Regional Pokédex number cannot be 0 (section {2}, PBS/pokemon.txt)
Compiler:2335:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2298:in `each'
Compiler:2298:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2296:in `loop'
Compiler:2367:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2284:in `each'
Compiler:2284:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2283:in `each'
Compiler:2283:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2269:in `pbEachFileSection'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.
Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

I had a look at the part of the script that generated that error message (from "Compiler"):

elsif key=="RegionalNumbers"
raise _INTL("Regional Pokédex number cannot be 0 (section {2}, PBS/pokemon.txt)",currentmap) if value==0
regionals[valueindex]=[] if !regionals[valueindex]
regionals[valueindex][currentmap]=value

It seems there's no specific problem here (i.e. I didn't do things wrong); it just doesn't want regional numbers of zero. This is exactly not what the Notes say:

RegionalNumbers - The order of this Pokémon in one or more regional Pokedexes; for example, Treecko is number 1 in the Hoenn Pokedex. This is a comma-separated list of numbers. If at least one of the numbers is 0, then a species doesn't exist in at least one regional Pokedex. This setting is optional. To manipulate regional and national Pokedex numbers, use the functions pbAllRegionalSpecies, pbGetNationalNumber, and pbGetRegionalNumber in the script section PokemonUtilities. See the comments within those functions for more information.
So are regional numbers implemented or not? And if not, how do I put them in? I assume the changes would be done to that bit of script I quoted

OAK
June 30th, 2009, 11:38 AM
That's what you need, yes. Your problem probably comes from the limited width of the "insert script" text box where you put that script in. What that would do is cut the script into two halves, and if it's cut in the wrong place then it won't work.

When you've got the window open to type in that script, look in your main game folder and run "extendtext.exe". That should help things to work.

Thank you Maruno! It worked!! :D
Oh and there was a mistake in my script...
It should be: pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::CELEBI,30,veriable=nil,canescape=true)

Ty 101
June 30th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I wanted to know how to delete a pidgey from my party.
I was given $Trainer.party.delete_if {|pkmn|pkmn.species==PBSpecies:PIDGEY}
I get an error message when I run it.
I could not find any worthwhile info in the error but, if you want to see it just ask.

I tried extendtext.

Minorthreat0987
June 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Alright, new question...

Anyone have any idea what this error is about?

It has to do with the erase event command...

Interpreter:881:in `command_116'
Interpreter:332:in `execute_command'
Game_Event_:230:in `update'
Game_Map_:309:in `update'
Game_Map_:307:in `each'
Game_Map_:307:in `update'
Scene_Map:34:in `updateMaps'

Pokemon Pyrite
June 30th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I need to know how to make it so when you get an item you can go to the pokemon storage from the menu(Like when you get the pokedex the pokedex shows up in the menu and you can use).I cant find it anywhere.

Wichu
July 1st, 2009, 02:50 AM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My question.

How do multiple regions work? Specifically, I want to have multiple Regional Dexes, and I'm asking about how a pokémon can be given a list of Regional Dex numbers. I tried putting in lines like the following, and came up with the error message below.

RegionalNumbers=60,81,100,0

This means the pokémon is regional number 60 in Region A, number 81 in Region B, number 1000 in Region C and is not in Region D. That's what the Notes say (see below).

Here's the error:

Pokemon Essentials
Message: Regional Pokédex number cannot be 0 (section {2}, PBS/pokemon.txt)
Compiler:2335:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2298:in `each'
Compiler:2298:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2296:in `loop'
Compiler:2367:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2284:in `each'
Compiler:2284:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2283:in `each'
Compiler:2283:in `pbCompilePokemonData'
Compiler:2269:in `pbEachFileSection'

OK

I had a look at the part of the script that generated that error message (from "Compiler"):

elsif key=="RegionalNumbers"
raise _INTL("Regional Pokédex number cannot be 0 (section {2}, PBS/pokemon.txt)",currentmap) if value==0
regionals[valueindex]=[] if !regionals[valueindex]
regionals[valueindex][currentmap]=value

It seems there's no specific problem here (i.e. I didn't do things wrong); it just doesn't want regional numbers of zero. This is exactly not what the Notes say:

So are regional numbers implemented or not? And if not, how do I put them in? I assume the changes would be done to that bit of script I quoted
Yeah, just delete or comment out the second line. I've done that, and it works fine. Also, you might want to change the result of the pbGetPokedexRegion method to a variable, instead of the current region, so you have more control over which regional dex is displayed.
I wanted to know how to delete a pidgey from my party.
I was given $Trainer.party.delete_if {|pkmn|pkmn.species==PBSpecies:PIDGEY}
I get an error message when I run it.
I could not find any worthwhile info in the error but, if you want to see it just ask.

I tried extendtext.
There should be two colons in between PBSpecies and PIDGEY, like so: PBSpecies::PIDGEY
Alright, new question...

Anyone have any idea what this error is about?

It has to do with the erase event command...

Interpreter:881:in `command_116'
Interpreter:332:in `execute_command'
Game_Event_:230:in `update'
Game_Map_:309:in `update'
Game_Map_:307:in `each'
Game_Map_:307:in `update'
Scene_Map:34:in `updateMaps'

You appear to be trying to erase a non-existent event... I have no idea of how you managed to do this :P Mind showing me the entire event?

Minorthreat0987
July 1st, 2009, 04:45 AM
Oh...XD lol Well then XD No I know how I did it I made a flub on my codeing...I put a blank event page that had just the erase event comand, and made it run if a certain switch was activated! As soon as I deleted those instances (there were like at least 10 XD) everything worked fine! lol Whoopsy!

Fraot
July 1st, 2009, 08:02 AM
Oh...XD lol Well then XD No I know how I did it I made a flub on my codeing...I put a blank event page that had just the erase event comand, and made it run if a certain switch was activated! As soon as I deleted those instances (there were like at least 10 XD) everything worked fine! lol Whoopsy!

Yep, that was too simple, i was on the opposite situation: i thought everything needed to be activated by switches, not self switches.

OAK
July 1st, 2009, 08:16 AM
Hello there again^^
I've again a problem with a script and I need help.
So...My situation is this:
A Team Aqua Person comes to the player and he wants to battle.
For this I've found this script:
pbTrainerBattle(trainerid,trainername,endspeech)

My trainerid was 112 and the name of the Trainer was Ben,so I thought this should be right:
pbTrainerBattle(112,TEAMAQUA_Male Ben,"Grr")
Hmm, but when the battle should start I get a syntax error...

Could anyone help me with this?

Meowth
July 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm having an annoying little issue.

Okay, so I'm editing the animations. They keep reverting, til I realize the problem was because I had the editor AND RMXP open at the same time... so I do one at a time.

Playtest game.exe, works fine.

Then, I open the program, and playtest in there...

Get this. The Quick Attack animation I set doesnt load, and the Fire Blast gives this error.

POKéMON Mewtwo Strikes Back

BitmapCache:365:in `load_bitmap'

BitmapCache:390:in `animation'

PBAnimation:541:in `update'

PBAnimation:490:in `update'

PokeBattle_ActualScene:2425:in `pbAnimationCore'

PokeBattle_ActualScene:2380:in `pbAnimation'

PokeBattle_Battle:2360:in `pbAnimation'

PokeBattle_Move:581:in `pbEffect'

PokeBattle_Battler:1233:in `pbProcessNonMultiHitMove'

PokeBattle_Battler:1472:in `pbUseMove'

OK

Help, please? D:

Mortifiier
July 1st, 2009, 06:51 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows all the steps to editing the encounter array. The standard array follows these rules, which you can find in the notes:

Depending on the encounter type, the number of entries required varies:

Land/Cave: 12 entries (20, 20, 10, 10, 10, 10, 5, 5, 4,4,1,1)
Water/RockSmash: 5 entries (60,30,5,4,1)
OldRod: 2 entries (70, 30)
GoodRod: 3 entries (60, 20, 20)
SuperRod: 5 entries (40, 40, 15, 4, 1)
HeadbuttHigh/HeadbuttLow: 8 entries (30,25,20,10,5,5,4,1)

However, I'd like to change every encounter type to a 20 entry system using different percentages to make more detailed maps.

I found and edited the original array in lines 287 to 302 of PokemonMap, but I'm not sure how to edit the compiler and editor so that it works correctly in the game. Has anyone done this before, or does anyone know enough to walk me through it?

Atomic Reactor
July 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Alright. I'm having some trouble with the trainers.txt or whatever.
I'm made a battle were you battle the same person, but the 2nd time. With different pokemon and such.
It says in the notes that if there's more than one, then i need to add a coma and a number after it.
so in the notepad it looks like this.

#------------------------
PKMN TRAINER
Joey,1
CHARMANDER,20,31
CHARMELEON,20,31
CHARIZARD,20,31

So then how do i set it up in the actual event?
Do I have to put a ",1" after his name?
Cause i tried that, and it just says "Joey,1" doesnt exist. :(
If someone can please clear this up for me i'd be very happy :P

shinylugia249
July 2nd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Alright. I'm having some trouble with the trainers.txt or whatever.
I'm made a battle were you battle the same person, but the 2nd time. With different pokemon and such.
It says in the notes that if there's more than one, then i need to add a coma and a number after it.
so in the notepad it looks like this.

#------------------------
PKMN TRAINER
Joey,1
CHARMANDER,20,31
CHARMELEON,20,31
CHARIZARD,20,31

So then how do i set it up in the actual event?
Do I have to put a ",1" after his name?
Cause i tried that, and it just says "Joey,1" doesnt exist. :(
If someone can please clear this up for me i'd be very happy :P
Ok first thing don't use the pbs notepad because it can get messy (I found this out myself). Use the editor in the game folder.
In the editor go to edit trainers. The original joey should be in there. Make another one with the same trainer type and name and it should automatically give it a battle id of 1 with the original having a battle id of 0. Now when setting up the battle use the conditional brach as usual make this the script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::PKMN TRAINER,"Joey",_I("Losing Statement"),false,BattleID)

Hope this helps!

Atomic Reactor
July 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
Thanks a bunch man. I didn't have that option in the editor..
But i realized that I just had to put the battle id at the end of that conditional branch script.
Thanks for the help ^_^

PokemonOI
July 2nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Exception: NameError
PokemonItems:11:in `pbTopRightWindow'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:2446:in `pbLevelUp'
PokeBattle_Battle:2174:in `pbGainEXP'
PokeBattle_Battle:2154:in `loop'
PokeBattle_Battle:2190:in `pbGainEXP'
PokeBattle_Battle:2072:in `each'
PokeBattle_Battle:2072:in `pbGainEXP'
PokeBattle_Battle:2039:in `each'
PokeBattle_Battle:2039:in `pbGainEXP'
PokeBattle_Battler:1494:in `pbUseMove'

could somebody help me with this error?

sonic smash down
July 2nd, 2009, 06:03 PM
Heh, I had to laugh at that AR. I made that mistake a while ago. and it took me forever to get pbs notepad back to where i knew where everything was....XD.

Anyways i wonder if that error deals with scripting problems, or is it dealing wit the pbs pokemon data. you may have to check the pbs stuff. but thats all i can think of right now. srry man DX. It may help more if you show wat the event is.

Maruno
July 4th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah, just delete or comment out the second line. I've done that, and it works fine. Also, you might want to change the result of the pbGetPokedexRegion method to a variable, instead of the current region, so you have more control over which regional dex is displayed.
Is that all? I thought it'd be more complicated, such as assigning a heap of map IDs to different regions or something.

Yes, I'll be editing the pbGetPokedexRegion to use a variable to decide which Region I want to be looking at. This comes as part of a "menu" page that pops up when the Pokédex boots up, with options to look at each Regional Dex. I imagine such a design would work similarly to the Pokégear, so it's mostly a matter of copy/paste.

Speaking of which, though, how are regions defined, anyway? In townmap.txt, where each section corresponds to a region? Makes sense, but then, only towns and other "can Fly to here" places are actually noted in that file, so how can it check which region you're in if you're on a route? (Yes, I won't be using pbGetCurrentRegion here, but I'm curious as to how it works - and for that matter, where pbGetCurrentRegion is in the first place; I can't find it).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another question, and a bit of an odd one. What's wrong with scarves?

A picture will demonstrate the problem:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Maruno/Scarfproblem.png

I disabled the use of the Pokémon fonts, because I want to use Arial instead. I also don't want to use all caps everywhere, so amongst other things, I edited the item names.

When looking in the Bag, I notice the above. Namely, that any item that contains "Scarf" (with that arrangement of cap and lower case letters) will have its name squashed horizontally. This doesn't happen if I use "SCARF" instead. It also doesn't happen for any of the other items, just the ones with "Scarf" in their name (e.g. "Blue Shard" and "Thick Club" work normally).

So... what's going on here? Why the dislike for scarves?

Surf
July 4th, 2009, 08:52 PM
How can I have a light on a lamp post of in a house window?

Ty 101
July 5th, 2009, 09:03 AM
How can I have a light on a lamp post of in a house window?

I think you name the event Outdoorlight.
I might be wrong but, it says how in the notes.

--------------------------------------------------

How come when I walk up to the water on the island auto tile I can walk on the tiles around the edges of the 3X3 tile section.
This causes a problem if you are using the kyledove island tiles.

How can I fix this.

If I need to explain this better just tell me.

-------------------------------------------------

This error appears when I get to the part of a battle where the what to do part appears.
What script controls this?

Pokemon Sandstone Version
Exception: RuntimeErrorMessage: Script error within event 27, map 1 (Seaside Village):Section065:432:in `pbSpeed'uninitialized constant PBItems::CHOICESCARFInterpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'PokeBattle_Battle:2056:in `pbPriority'PokeBattle_Battle:2055:in `each'PokeBattle_Battle:2055:in `pbPriority'PokeBattle_Battle:1103:in `pbOnActiveAll'PokeBattle_Battle:729:in `pbStartBattleCore'PokeBattle_Battle:563:in `pbStartBattle'PokemonTrainers:491:in `pbTrainerBattle'PokemonTrainers:490:in `pbSceneStandby'PokemonTrainers:492:in `pbTrainerBattle'Interpreter:250:in `pbExecuteScript'Interpreter:760:in `command_111'Interpreter:293:in `execute_command'Interpreter:190:in `update'Interpreter:104:in `loop'Interpreter:195:in `update'Scene_Map:100:in `update'Scene_Map:98:in `loop'Scene_Map:111:in `update'Scene_Map:67:in `main'This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

If you would like a scrennshot, just ask.

------------------------------------------------------

All help is greatly appreciated
Thanks for Reading.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/images/templates/pokecommunityplaza/misc/progress.gif

venom12
July 5th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I have question can i start double battle with wild pokemons, i want to get this with groudon and kyrogue.

Zephyra
July 5th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Where do I edit to change the height and weight entries in the Pokedex to feet and pounds? I was trying to find where the script that writes it is, but I can't find it.

Surf
July 5th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I have question can i start double battle with wild pokemons, i want to get this with groudon and kyrogue.

You have to register another trainer to battle with you.

goteamrocket!
July 5th, 2009, 10:24 PM
i have rg maker xp with pokestarter and im trying to work out the scripting for using key items in the field ie using an s.s. ticket in order to get on a boat or a squirt bottle to squirt a Sudowoodo etc can anyone help with a scripting example?

i should explain more i think...i have-
Conditional Branch:Script:Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField(::PBItems::LABKEY) with the desired effect of unlocking a door that is otherwise locked without a lab key in the key items pocket.
i have an action button trigger on the door with that script and thats as far as i can get...

Trikeboy
July 6th, 2009, 09:56 AM
i have rg maker xp with pokestarter and im trying to work out the scripting for using key items in the field ie using an s.s. ticket in order to get on a boat or a squirt bottle to squirt a Sudowoodo etc can anyone help with a scripting example?

i should explain more i think...i have-
Conditional Branch:Script:Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField(::PBItems::LABKEY) with the desired effect of unlocking a door that is otherwise locked without a lab key in the key items pocket.
i have an action button trigger on the door with that script and thats as far as i can get...

You could name a switch along these lines:

s:$PokemonBag.pbQuantity(PBItems::LABKEY)>0

Then put the desired code in an event.

mastermudkip
July 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Is there a thing that pokemon folow you like Heart Gold & Soul Silver ?

Maruno
July 6th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Where do I edit to change the height and weight entries in the Pokedex to feet and pounds? I was trying to find where the script that writes it is, but I can't find it.
PokemonPokedex, lines 550 onwards. You'll want to look at the lines there that are commented out, and uncomment them. Comment out the corresponding lines that are currently not commented out instead.

Why you'd use non-metric, though, I don't know...

Is there a thing that pokemon folow you like Heart Gold & Soul Silver ?
That's what's known as a dependant event. There was some talk about exactly this a couple of pages ago (well done for searching this thread for words like "follow" and "dependant", by the way). Do a search in this thread for words like "follow" and "dependant", and you should find some nice information.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Just in case someone notices this. A new post would've been more noticeable, but that would be double posting.

Is that all? I thought it'd be more complicated, such as assigning a heap of map IDs to different regions or something.

Yes, I'll be editing the pbGetPokedexRegion to use a variable to decide which Region I want to be looking at. This comes as part of a "menu" page that pops up when the Pokédex boots up, with options to look at each Regional Dex. I imagine such a design would work similarly to the Pokégear, so it's mostly a matter of copy/paste.

Speaking of which, though, how are regions defined, anyway? In townmap.txt, where each section corresponds to a region? Makes sense, but then, only towns and other "can Fly to here" places are actually noted in that file, so how can it check which region you're in if you're on a route? (Yes, I won't be using pbGetCurrentRegion here, but I'm curious as to how it works - and for that matter, where pbGetCurrentRegion is in the first place; I can't find it).

Another question, and a bit of an odd one. What's wrong with scarves?

A picture will demonstrate the problem:

I disabled the use of the Pokémon fonts, because I want to use Arial instead. I also don't want to use all caps everywhere, so amongst other things, I edited the item names.

When looking in the Bag, I notice the above. Namely, that any item that contains "Scarf" (with that arrangement of cap and lower case letters) will have its name squashed horizontally. This doesn't happen if I use "SCARF" instead. It also doesn't happen for any of the other items, just the ones with "Scarf" in their name (e.g. "Blue Shard" and "Thick Club" work normally).

So... what's going on here? Why the dislike for scarves?
I noticed the same thing happening in the "add pokémon" menu of the debug screen, to a couple of pokémon. This lead me to determine that the problem is caused by a lower case "f" at the end of a displayed name (item/pokémon/presumably other things too). The internal names don't contribute to this effect, and the "f" must be lower case and it must be at the end of the displayed name for this bug to appear.

So what's the "f" doing to the name? It should be part of a string, not part of the coding (and indeed it is in the string, because it's still displayed in the name).

Any ideas?

Nickalooose
July 9th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Grr, someone please help me.

im trying to make a battle, but i get this error (this ia pasted from error log coz i need to ost 15 times b4 i can put a picture, but there is an attatchment)

Interpreter:249:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:753:in `command_111'
Interpreter:292:in `execute_command'
Scene_Map:99:in `update'
Scene_Map:97:in `loop'
Scene_Map:110:in `update'
Scene_Map:66:in `main'
Section089: 15:in `pbLoadTrainer'uninitialized constant PBTrainers::RIVAL
Section019:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
Section089: 8:in `each'
Section089: 8:in `pbLoadTrainer'
Section089:220:in `pbTrainerBattle'
(eval)1 :in `pbExecuteScript'
Section019:753:in `eval'
Section019:753:in `command_111'
Section019:292:in `execute_command'
Section019:190:in `update'

wat can i do to fix this?

oh and for some reason, it says PBTrainers:RIVAL, its not a rival im tryin to battle, i dont have a rival in my game yet... ive only got 2 trainers in trainers.txt, its the same trainer, but i want them to be battled twice, 1 has name + id the other doesnt...

Maruno
July 9th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Grr, someone please help me.

im trying to make a battle, but i get this error (this ia pasted from error log coz i need to ost 15 times b4 i can put a picture, but there is an attatchment)

Section089: 15:in `pbLoadTrainer'uninitialized constant PBTrainers::RIVAL
Section089: 8:in `each'
Section089: 8:in `pbLoadTrainer'
Section089:220:in `pbTrainerBattle'
(eval)1 :in `pbExecuteScript'
Section019:753:in `eval'
Section019:753:in `command_111'
Section019:292:in `execute_command'
Section019:190:in `update'

wat can i do to fix this?

oh and for some reason, it says PBTrainers:RIVAL, its not a rival im tryin to battle, i dont have a rival in my game yet... ive only got 2 trainers in trainers.txt, its the same trainer, but i want them to be battled twice, 1 has name + id the other doesnt...
The error occurs because you don't have "RIVAL" set up. We can't really help you until we see what you do have (i.e. the contents of the "trainers.txt" PBS file, and the contents of the event(s) that is triggering the battle). A few screenshots of those things will do nicely.

lx_theo
July 9th, 2009, 03:31 PM
does anyone one know how to, with a transparent background, edit the script so that you can still see the in game world as the background when you enter you Bag or Pokemon Selection Screen?

Alexandre
July 9th, 2009, 06:18 PM
does anyone one know how to, with a transparent background, edit the script so that you can still see the in game world as the background when you enter you Bag or Pokemon Selection Screen?
No need for a transparent background, just remove the pbFadeout{} thing, (the word and the bracket before .he scene call and the bracket after the scene call.

Nickalooose
July 9th, 2009, 10:59 PM
The error occurs because you don't have "RIVAL" set up. We can't really help you until we see what you do have (i.e. the contents of the "trainers.txt" PBS file, and the contents of the event(s) that is triggering the battle). A few screenshots of those things will do nicely.

Okay, here's a couple attatchments of what i got, the trainers.txt,and the error is there too... Hope this helps you, coz its not helping me at all :(

lx_theo
July 10th, 2009, 04:19 AM
Okay, here's a couple attatchments of what i got, the trainers.txt,and the error is there too... Hope this helps you, coz its not helping me at all :(

I see the problem. The name you have set for the trainer that you want to face's class is MISTY, not RIVAL. Make sure that you change MISTY to RIVAL (caps matter) in both the traners.txt and the trainersnames.txt files. That OR you can change the script in the game so it says PBTrainers::MISTY and so on.

No need for a transparent background, just remove the pbFadeout{} thing, (the word and the bracket before .he scene call and the bracket after the scene call.
I do have another question of my own. Where can I find (and change) the coordinates of the placement of the box and stuff in the PkMn Selection Screen?

jadored
July 10th, 2009, 01:06 PM
This project is getting so frustrating.

I get my first couple maps done. Finally get all my events working the way I want. Learn to sprite, everything's good. Then I attempt to use a script, and the whole game crashes.

1st Problem: I need to have Mr. Pokemon give the player a pokemon to deliver to Falker. I went to the upokemoncenter notes to learn how to do this.

I followed directions and inserted:
@>Conditional Branch: Script: pbAddForeignPokemon(PBSpecies::PIDGEOTTO,15,_I("FALKNER"),_I("ACE"))
@>Text: Received a Pokémon from Mr. Pokemon.
@>
: Else
@>Text: You have no room to store the Pokemon.
@>
: Branch End

When in game I got up to this point, and it said there was a problem with the script and the game crashed.
At first I thought I did something wrong and copied the example. This is what was inserted:

@>Conditional Branch: Script: pbAddForeignPokemon(PBSpecies::SHUCKLE,20,_I("MARK"),_I("SHUCKIE"))
@>Text: Received a Pokémon from Mark.
@>
@>Text: You have no room to store the Pokemon...
@>
@>

Then I went back to this part of the game and once again it crashed.

2nd Problem: A old lady in a pokemon center gives you an egg because her son keeps trying make omelets out of it. I used the same site and once again followed directions and inserted this:
@>Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party.length>=6
@>Text: You have no room to store the Egg...
@>
@>Script: Kernel.pbGenerateEgg(
: : PBSpecies::PONYTA,5
: : )
@>Text: Received a Pokémon Egg.
@>
@>

Just like before, when I got to this point the game crashed. So i put in the original:

@>Text: You have no room to store the Egg...
@>
@>Script: Kernel.pbGenerateEgg(
: : PBSpecies::TOGEPI,5
@>Text: Received a Pokémon Egg.
@>
@>

Annnnd it still crashed.

I don't know why this is happening! I wasn't a spelling error because I copied and pasted everything. =[ Help?

ALSO, I am having trouble with battling, mostly setting up the trainers, and starting the battle, but I have not spent much time on this so might be able to figure this one out but any tips would be appreciated.

Sorry if this has already been answered but there's to many pages to read through them all x.x

-Jay

Jirachi's Gift
July 10th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hi, I was wondering if someone could please help me.

How do I set the location to FLY to?
When I select the town I wanna fly to on the map, nothing happens.

Please I really need to know how to FLY.
-Thanks.

lx_theo
July 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Hi, I was wondering if someone could please help me.

How do I set the location to FLY to?
When I select the town I wanna fly to on the map, nothing happens.

Please I really need to know how to FLY.
-Thanks.

I can answer this.

there is a text file called townmap.txt. You'll have to input All the info for each area.

EX:
Point=7,4,"City of the Isle",,2,040,038,

The first two numbers are cooderinates where on your map you'll find the place, the name is the name of course, and the last three number are more specific.

The first of those last three numbers is the the map's ID, which you should be able to find in the map's properties.

The last two are the coordinates that you would fly to on that map. If you're flying to the outside of a building, the transfer script on the inside of that building should have two numbers that would be those coordinates.

Jirachi's Gift
July 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Thank allot lx_theo.
I was quite easy.

Now....
Uhm, why if I use surf the player walks on the water?
How do I correct that?

Does anyone know a good site to get sprites and overworld sprites?

lx_theo
July 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Thank allot lx_theo.
I was quite easy.

Now....
Uhm, why if I use surf the player walks on the water?
How do I correct that?

Does anyone know a good site to get sprites and overworld sprites?

The metadata must be set to use the sprite you normally use for walking as a surf sprite as well. Once you get a surf sprite you can change in the "GLOBAL " part of the "Set Metadata" in the Editor.exe file

Maruno
July 10th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Here's a simple question, but it's for those of you who know some scripting:

How can I put a bit of text into a screen?

To elaborate, I want to be able to change the colour and alignment of the text, and have it appear just as text (i.e. not in a comment box thing). Obviously I also want to be able to place it wherever I want.

I found this, and while it puts text in wherever I want, I can't change the main/shadow colour or alignment of the text.

@sprites["somename"]=Window_UnformattedTextPokemon.newWithSize("",87,396,160,160,@viewport)

. (later)

@sprites["somename"].text=_ISPRINTF("Text goes here")
I've been trying to mimic other methods that do what I want (there's one that involves "textpos.push" in it, followed by "pbDrawTextPositions(self.bitmap,textpos)"). However, no matter what I set up and what I define earlier on, I just get errors (mostly along the lines of it not being able to define self.bitmap or somesuch).

I know with languages like this you have to define a box for things to go in, and it seems I'm just having trouble defining a box here (make it full screen size for simplicity). Whatever code I copy from other scripts in Essentials just doesn't seem to be the full picture.

Thanks for your help.

Surf
July 11th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Is their anyway to add more players that can be utilized by the changeplayer script?

Vaskituh
July 11th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Can someone tell me how to take PokeGear out of the Menu, and take the Map from the Summary ?

Jirachi's Gift
July 11th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Thanks again lx_theo!
I appriciate your help.
:D

Maruno
July 11th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Can someone tell me how to take PokeGear out of the Menu, and take the Map from the Summary ?
The Pokégear will only appear in the pause menu if the player has it. That is, if you've set "$Trainer.pokegear=true" at any point. Just don't do that, and the Pokégear option won't appear in the pause menu.

If you just want to disable the Pokégear option for a short while, set it to false at the start of that while, and make it true again at the end of it. Easy enough.

Note that keeping this setting as false doesn't mean you can never use the Pokégear. The setting is only used to determine whether it can be accessed from particular places, i.e. from the pause menu. You can make your own things (like a Key Item) to access it instead, and it'll work.

I don't know what you mean about the map in the summary. You mean remove it from the Pokégear menu? If so, then you'll have to edit the Pokegear script to remove the parts relating to the map. Those parts include the selectable option (line 22; comment out), the map icons (lines 37-40; comment out), line 104 (comment out), what happens when each option is selected (lines 130-153; change these), what happens when you click on an option (lines 176-194; change these) and what information is shown when you select each option (lines 200-207; change these).

All you really need to do is comment out/change all those lines as directed, and it should work.

For the "change these" lines, the radio is now command 0, the phone is command 1 and exit is command 2 (instead of being 1, 2 and 3 respectively, as the map used to be command 0). Make sure that when you highlight/select one of those options, it does the appropriate thing.

I also assume you'll have some other way to open the Pokégear, since you asked how to disable it from the pause menu, e.g. a Key Item.

Vaskituh
July 11th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Thank you Maruno : )

Well, my game is getting to a point, where it's close to being finished, and i wanted some help from someone a bit experienced to make the Map for the game as i don't know how to make it.

Anyone that wants to help (will be credited obviously) contact me via PM, thank you !

dracodreth
July 12th, 2009, 12:08 AM
hey, well i just went to your sire poccil, to get essentials again, but everything i press a link to it besides the mail one i get a page of a bunch of letters and symbols, do you know whats wrong. If anyone else has noticed this and has a solution i would be grateful for ever. thx. -dino

Nyu~♥!
July 12th, 2009, 08:58 AM
hey, well i just went to your sire poccil, to get essentials again, but everything i press a link to it besides the mail one i get a page of a bunch of letters and symbols, do you know whats wrong. If anyone else has noticed this and has a solution i would be grateful for ever. thx. -dino

This happened to me too, but I guess the site is down. And I don't think you're supposed to post this here, just stuff about a game made with the starter pack.

Jirachi's Gift
July 12th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Does anyone now of a tool I can use to enhance the quality of my sprites, overworldsprites and tilesets?

Like to make it smoother like in Pokemon D/P style?

Atomic Reactor
July 12th, 2009, 02:09 PM
You just use paint. That's how most sprites are made.

Jirachi's Gift
July 13th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Okay, I have these tiles (located below):

But, they are smaller than the pokemon essentials starterkit's tiles.
I try to make them bigger but they lose their quality.

Can anyone help?
Or does anyone know a place where I can get simmilar larger tiles?

BlazingLink
July 13th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Okay, I have these tiles (located below):

But, they are smaller than the pokemon essentials starterkit's tiles.
I try to make them bigger but they lose their quality.

Can anyone help?
Or does anyone know a place where I can get simmilar larger tiles?

Just go 200x200 in Paint.

It'll be an even increase and not lose quality.

Nickalooose
July 13th, 2009, 04:58 PM
need some help with pbregisterpartner... it comes up with an erorr, `pbRegisterPartner'undefined method `[]' for nil : NilClass...
wat does that mean?

jadored
July 14th, 2009, 08:28 PM
POKEMART ISSUES!

*sigh*
OKAY!
Here's what's going on, I made a Pokemart (Technically, Jill's Organics) and I copied my script from a previous WORKING PM. Now I wasn't sure which items I could sell so i opened the items text document and copied and pasted items over. A few worked, but until I took out some (MOST!) I would keep getting an error message and my game would crash.

AS FOR MY ABOVE POST:
(At te top of page 194)
I solved the egg issue, but the foreign pokemon thing i can't seem to get working still!

Maruno
July 15th, 2009, 10:40 AM
POKEMART ISSUES!

*sigh*
OKAY!
Here's what's going on, I made a Pokemart (Technically, Jill's Organics) and I copied my script from a previous WORKING PM. Now I wasn't sure which items I could sell so i opened the items text document and copied and pasted items over. A few worked, but until I took out some (MOST!) I would keep getting an error message and my game would crash.
I think the obvious answer is not to mess around with everything. You haven't given nearly enough information for a more detailed answer.

Moreover, you haven't actually asked for help. You've only implied you've got a problem you still need fixing.

jadored
July 15th, 2009, 12:57 PM
OKAY.
I NEED HELP GETTING THIS POKEMART WORKING.

Details:
I copied over the script from my other pokemart (the one that works) It looks like this:
@>Script: pbPokemonMart([
: : PBItems::POKeBALL,
: : PBItems::POTION,
: : PBItems::ANTIDOTE,])
@>
Then I opened up items.txt and then in RMXP opened up the mart I needed to edit. I inserted the script the same way and then copied and pasted items from items.txt in to the script. It looks like this:
pbPokemonMart([
PBItems::FRESHWATER
PBItems::ZINC
PBItems::CALCIUM
PBItems::CARBOS
PBItems::IRON
PBItems::PROTEIN
])
(Insert -> script, not just typed in that BTW)

When I go in the game and try to shop here an error message pops up that says there was an error and it will display 2 of the items, I take away items until only fresh water remains, it seems to be the only one it doesn't have a problem with.

I need help getting this to work right.

venom12
July 15th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hey, how can i use PokemonRoaming? For Raikou, Entei and suicune?

Maruno
July 15th, 2009, 02:03 PM
OKAY.
I NEED HELP GETTING THIS POKEMART WORKING.

Details:
I copied over the script from my other pokemart (the one that works) It looks like this:
@>Script: pbPokemonMart([
: : PBItems::POKeBALL,
: : PBItems::POTION,
: : PBItems::ANTIDOTE,])
@>
Then I opened up items.txt and then in RMXP opened up the mart I needed to edit. I inserted the script the same way and then copied and pasted items from items.txt in to the script. It looks like this:
pbPokemonMart([
PBItems::FRESHWATER
PBItems::ZINC
PBItems::CALCIUM
PBItems::CARBOS
PBItems::IRON
PBItems::PROTEIN
])
(Insert -> script, not just typed in that BTW)

When I go in the game and try to shop here an error message pops up that says there was an error and it will display 2 of the items, I take away items until only fresh water remains, it seems to be the only one it doesn't have a problem with.

I need help getting this to work right.
The script that works has commas in it. Your script that doesn't work doesn't have commas in.

A comma separates two items. At the moment your shop is looking to sell one item with the huge name PBItems::FRESHWATERPBItems::ZINCPBItems::CALCIUMPBIte... etc. etc. This item, quite clearly, doesn't exist.

I'm surprised there's a comma after the final item in the working script, because usually there wouldn't be one after the final item in a list like that. But if it works, don't knock it.

Hey, how can i use PokemonRoaming? For Raikou, Entei and suicune?
I haven't tried this myself, but it seems fairly simply to implement. You need to look in the scripts at PokemonRoaming. At the top you'll find this:

module PokemonRoaming
RoamingAreas={
# Keys indicate the Pokémon's current map;
# Values indicate one or more maps that the Pokémon
# will move to
# Example:
# 20 => [21, 22],
# 21 => [22, 20]
}
RoamingSpecies={
# Example:
# (Species, level, switch number)
# PBSpecies::LATIOS => [40,50],
# PBSpecies::LATIAS => [40,51]
}
end

The comments explain what to do. For the RoamingAreas, you can have any quantity of numbers in the square brackets - in the example, a pokémon currently on map 20 has a 50% chance of moving on to map 21 and a 50% chance of moving to map 22. Each map indicated here has an equal chance of being chosen to be moved to. The pokémon will move to a different map each time you do, or after you battle it and either of you flee or you're beaten (i.e. the pokémon is still free and conscious).

Make sure that, for RoamingAreas, each map that can be moved to has at least one map to move onto from there.

If you're on a particular map and more than one roamers are due to appear on that map at the same time, the game randomly chooses one of them as your encounter.

I'm not sure how to have regional roamers, but I'll bet for one that such a thing isn't included in Essentials - it's something to be added by oneself. I can see how to make the roaming circles (several lots of maps that only interconnect with themselves and not each other), but the new bit will be the ability to put a roamer into one circle or the other. Said new bit involves a modification of line 58 (the line that chooses a random map to be called the current area if the roamer doesn't already have a current area, i.e. it's newly unlocked), but maybe that's too much of a hint already to those people wanting to implement region roamers (including those who decide they want to after reading here that it's possible).

For RoamingSpecies, you have one line per roaming pokémon. You need to pick a level and a switch number for each of them. Turning the associated switch on (e.g. as part of the "unfrozen from statues" event) will mean the pokémon begins roaming. Turning it off for whatever reason (e.g. you've caught it, you've sealed it back into a statue, etc.) will stop that roaming encounter. You can have multiple switches on or off at the same time.

All pokémon change their positions at the same time, even if it's caused by a battle and you only faced one of them.

See where the commas are in the brackets (at the end of each line except the final line of each section), and between each number within each line. Well, you can see where they are. Keep that trend going.

Jirachi's Gift
July 15th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Okay...

When I start my game and I obtain FLY I'm able to fly to any town (even ones I've never been to).

What do I need to do to set it that when I first visit the town then I'm only able to fly to it?
(In other words: only if I visit the town, then I'm able to FLY to it).

Hope someone can help,
Thanks.

Nickalooose
July 15th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Here's my problem, i want to register a double battle, check attatchment.

thanks in advanced.

Maruno
July 16th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Okay...

When I start my game and I obtain FLY I'm able to fly to any town (even ones I've never been to).

What do I need to do to set it that when I first visit the town then I'm only able to fly to it?
(In other words: only if I visit the town, then I'm able to FLY to it).

Hope someone can help,
Thanks.
I can only assume that this is a feature of the Debug mode (which would make sense), and that you've been using Debug mode when getting this response. Do you have this problem when playing the game normally (i.e. not as a play test from within RPG Maker XP)?

What you ask for is, according to the notes, exactly what should happen.

?Alistair?
July 16th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hey. I have two things i would like help with please, any help is appreciated.

1. I've seen lots of games in the showcase which have that really cool feature in forest maps where there is the shadows of clouds/trees on the screen (if that's not explaining well then i'll go link to a thread with a game which has what i mean. I was wondering, how do you do this?

2. At night time I would like the windows of pokémarts and pokémon centres to light up. I know you can use the Outdoor light command for lamppots or w/e but I wanted to know how to make a custom one. presumably it would be a case of making a custom tile and then when it is night time switching the day tile with the night tile. I just don't know how to do this.

Thanks muchly (Y)

atanil
July 16th, 2009, 02:46 PM
You can set Fog graphic in Database -> Tilesets.

PokemonOI
July 16th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Pokemon Malachite
Script 'PokemonScreen' line 1272: NameError occurred.
uninitialized constant PokemonScreen::HiddenMoveHandlers
OK

Does anyone knw y I'm getting this error?

Jirachi's Gift
July 17th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hey,
If you use the PokeDex it is filled with blank spaces and some filled spaces (depending on if you have seen the pokemon or not).

But all of the Pokemon are listed in the Pokedex.
I don't want all of the pokemon to be listed. Eg. I only want 100 pokemon on the pokedex, but there is like 493 listed.

How can I customize the listed Pokemon on my pokedex?

Thanks,
In advance

iitZz An Omen
July 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/3286/capture006.png
How do I change the gender symbol to that of the fire red font?
Thanks!

Wichu
July 17th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Wait, route -8.2? Anyway, have you updated to the newest version of the Pokémon fonts? I know the version I'm using has the correct symbols. Try uninstalling the FR/LG font, then reinstalling it from the Fonts folder.
Nice job on the FR/LG-style Summary screen, though. Did you script that?

iitZz An Omen
July 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Wait, route -8.2? Anyway, have you updated to the newest version of the Pokémon fonts? I know the version I'm using has the correct symbols. Try uninstalling the FR/LG font, then reinstalling it from the Fonts folder.
Nice job on the FR/LG-style Summary screen, though. Did you script that?
Yeah lol :P
Can you provide a link?
I wish I did but no :( I used the Pedapp basic kit and recoloured the summary screen provided, but i'm happy that you like it!

lx_theo
July 17th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Are there any tutorials on how to customize menus. If there is could someone please post a link? If not could somebody who understands it all well enough make a quick one? Either would be highly appreciated.

Wichu
July 18th, 2009, 01:09 AM
Yeah lol :P
Can you provide a link?
I wish I did but no :( I used the Pedapp basic kit and recoloured the summary screen provided, but i'm happy that you like it!

I really need to get up-to-date with the D/P moves project; I even worked on it a bit :P

Anyway, I've attached the font I'm using, so it should have the symbols in it. You'll have to remove your current FR/LG font, and replace it with this one.

iitZz An Omen
July 18th, 2009, 02:13 AM
I really need to get up-to-date with the D/P moves project; I even worked on it a bit :P

Anyway, I've attached the font I'm using, so it should have the symbols in it. You'll have to remove your current FR/LG font, and replace it with this one.
Wichu, thanks a lot!
I wish you all the best for your amazing game! :D
EDIT: Wichu that font is blank :/

Nickalooose
July 18th, 2009, 03:04 AM
anyone know how to use the pbRegisterTrainer script? its not working for me!

Wichu
July 18th, 2009, 03:16 AM
Wichu, thanks a lot!
I wish you all the best for your amazing game! :D
EDIT: Wichu that font is blank :/

Huh? It works for me... It's the right font; did you install it correctly?

iitZz An Omen
July 18th, 2009, 03:38 AM
Emm...I installed it in C:\\WINDOWS\FONTS and the fonts folder in my game folder with no luck :(
When I load the game change the font to FR/LG, the font looks like Arial or something :'(

OblivionMew
July 18th, 2009, 03:51 AM
You need to uninstall the Pokemon fonts (delete them from the WINDOWS/Font folder) then re-install them.

iitZz An Omen
July 18th, 2009, 04:12 AM
You need to uninstall the Pokemon fonts (delete them from the WINDOWS/Font folder) then re-install them.
Yeah thanks that worked perfectly!

Jirachi's Gift
July 18th, 2009, 12:33 PM
How do you give a map a woods/forest effect? how do you make it darker?

?Alistair?
July 19th, 2009, 04:47 AM
Would much appreciate help with this please. My town map has towns right at the bottom of the map, but the cursor doesn't reach them. I recently moved the information bar to the top so you could see the towns- but the cursor still won't go lower than before I moved it. (i moved it by changing the coordinates of the mapbottom.png graphic.)

Here is what I mean

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/Belgarath313/mapshot.png

Can anyone one tell what areas of scirpt I need to edit?

tImE
July 19th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Would much appreciate help with this please. My town map has towns right at the bottom of the map, but the cursor doesn't reach them. I recently moved the information bar to the top so you could see the towns- but the cursor still won't go lower than before I moved it. (i moved it by changing the coordinates of the mapbottom.png graphic.)

Here is what I mean

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/Belgarath313/mapshot.png

Can anyone one tell what areas of scirpt I need to edit?

It seems like the cursor won't go nearer than two tiles from the bottom, so move the whole
(in paint/PS etc.) 2 tiles up, and sprite a new bottom below "the old one".

Otherwise I don't know, as I'm not especially good at RGSS.

Hope it helped ;)

//44tim44

Wichu
July 19th, 2009, 08:14 AM
As far as I can tell, it's this bit in PokemonRegionMap:
LEFT=0
TOP=0
RIGHT=28
BOTTOM=16
Just increase the BOTTOM constant by 2 (tiles), and it should work.

?Alistair?
July 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Thanks wichu, I should've spotted that myself I guess.

I know double posting is frowned upon, but this thread is rarely active and so to get notice I've posted twice-

I've ben trying to make a regional pokédex (i'm aware that this is something all people want to do and that it's a question that gets asked a lot) and so far I have managed to put regional numbers for all pokémon, (including 0 for pokémon that I don't want in the region) and I've been able to sort most issues (the error that says you can't have 0 for a regional number) but now I've come a cropper.

The numbers are set, the region town map is made (and is named Mirroh), but still I get the national pokédex. I presume it is something to do with defining a region, but I do not know where to start.

Colbex
July 19th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Hi hi.. I got a few (probably nooby :( ) questions...
1) How would I make a Battle Factory? Would I have to make a whole entire new script section? Or maybe have the Lab Lady take away your pokes, (similar to bug catching contests) and then make it with a lot of random choices, you given 6 to choose from? x_X

2) How do I make it where during trades, the in-game trainer you're trading with's pokemon is holding an item? Like when you trade a spearow for a farfetch'd, and that farfetch'd has a stick already equipped to it? (or, getting down to the point, letting that trainer's electabuzz already be holding an electrizer so you get electivire)

3) How do I make a PokeGear calling event, or more accurately, registering Mom and Prof Elm, but in a way where they don't have random trainer messages but rather the "Omg help, a 10 year old child broke into the lab and stole a pokemon despite the fact the place was being watched over by two grown men over the age of 30. O_O"

Ty 101
July 20th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I have an error that comes up every time I battle, right after you through out your pokemon.
I posted it earlier but, did not get any help.
I am in desperate need of the fixing of this issue because, I have tried every thing and it still comes up.
I will give rewards to those who help.
All help is greatly appreciated.

See the attachments for the error message.

iitZz An Omen
July 20th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I have an error that comes up every time I battle, right after you through out your pokemon.
I posted it earlier but, did not get any help.
I am in desperate need of the fixing of this issue because, I have tried every thing and it still comes up.
I will give rewards to those who help.
All help is greatly appreciated.

See the attachments for the error message.
looking at the error message I would delete the Item Choice scarf as it seems to be the key to this problem, if you dellete it or fix it your came should work again.
Hope I helped...

PokemonOI
July 20th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Um how do I change the color of the Light? like the ones you would see in lamp posts? i wanna change it from the yellow to something like a blue

Tiamo
July 21st, 2009, 01:18 AM
Hi guys, im new at this forum and i use RPG Maker XP for my pokémon-hack and im pretty far now but there are a few things i need.
I have only reflected water now, i need good water autotiles and i need good grass autotiles (Or good tilesets) i've searching for weeks now and maybe could somebody here help me?

Thanx.
P.S: Sorry for my bad english i'm dutch and just 11 years old. :)

Alexandre
July 21st, 2009, 01:22 AM
Hi guys, im new at this forum and i use RPG Maker XP for my pokémon-hack and im pretty far now but there are a few things i need.
I have only reflected water now, i need good water autotiles and i need good grass autotiles (Or good tilesets) i've searching for weeks now and maybe could somebody here help me?

Thanx.
P.S: Sorry for my bad english i'm dutch and just 11 years old. :)
NEIN! Its not a hack >_<

Try Kyledove's public tilesets.

PokettoMonsuta
July 21st, 2009, 06:17 AM
One question regarding move animations.

The notes says to make moves, you need to put Move:XXX, right?

Well, what about other enemies. I see stuff like Ultra Beam Hero, but is it supposed to be Move:UltraBeam?

Wichu
July 21st, 2009, 06:22 AM
The animations included are from when the kit was still being made by Flameguru, so they don't use the new format. The game should automatically display the animation in the right direction.

Tiamo
July 21st, 2009, 08:02 AM
NEIN! Its not a hack >_<

Try Kyledove's public tilesets.

Where can i find it i've searched like an hour now. :P

?Alistair?
July 21st, 2009, 08:09 AM
So I still need help with regional dex issue.

Here are examples of what i've done so far-

[0]
Name=Mirroh
Filename=Map.png
Point=1,19,"Maplebranch Town",,1,35,15,
Point=1,17,"Honeydew Town",,25,25,24,
Point=1,18,"Route 231",,,,,
Point=2,17,"Route 232",,,,,
Point=3,16,"Serenity Woods",,,,,
Point=3,17,"Brendan's House",,33,26,19,
That's the townmap txt for my region map so far.

[1]
Name=BULBASAUR
InternalName=BULBASAUR
Kind=SEED
RegionalNumbers=0

[509]
Name=SUCOIR
InternalName=SUCOIR
Kind=Fierce Ant
RegionalNumbers=19

And those are examples from my Pokemon file.

What else do I need to do to get a regional dex working?

UltramasterBDX
July 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hey ..
I wondered How can I change the battle-bg on night?

Rileyslucario
July 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
Error:
Undefined value OVERGROW in PBAbilities
File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 1, key Abilities
OVERGROW
WTF!

Colbex
July 21st, 2009, 06:13 PM
Hi hi.. I got a few (probably nooby :( ) questions...
1) How would I make a Battle Factory? Would I have to make a whole entire new script section? Or maybe have the Lab Lady take away your pokes, (similar to bug catching contests) and then make it with a lot of random choices, you given 6 to choose from? x_X

2) How do I make it where during trades, the in-game trainer you're trading with's pokemon is holding an item? Like when you trade a spearow for a farfetch'd, and that farfetch'd has a stick already equipped to it? (or, getting down to the point, letting that trainer's electabuzz already be holding an electrizer so you get electivire)

3) How do I make a PokeGear calling event, or more accurately, registering Mom and Prof Elm, but in a way where they don't have random trainer messages but rather the "Omg help, a 10 year old child broke into the lab and stole a pokemon despite the fact the place was being watched over by two grown men over the age of 30. O_O"

I don't really intend to be pessimistic, but will someone please answer at least one of my questions. x_X

lx_theo
July 21st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Error:
Undefined value OVERGROW in PBAbilities
File PBS/pokemon.txt, section 1, key Abilities
OVERGROW
WTF!

You're asking what is wrong, right? Well to me it looks like OVERGROW is not a move in your moves.txt PBS file

Flameguru
July 21st, 2009, 09:59 PM
Poccil, it is possible for people playing compiled (and encrypted) releases of games using the Essentials kit to access the Pokemon Debug Menu. Here is how to do it:

1) Go to the Bill's PC in any Pokemon Center.
2) Go to move Pokemon.
3) Click on any Pokemon.
4) Choose Cancel.

After you choose Cancel, the Debug Menu appears automatically. It has the following options:

Set Level
Set Species
Set Gender
Set Nature
Teach moves
Duplicate
Cancel

Hopefully you will provide a fix in the near future ;)

PS: I wanted to send this in a PM, but your Inbox is full.

Wichu
July 22nd, 2009, 12:40 AM
Poccil, it is possible for people playing compiled (and encrypted) releases of games using the Essentials kit to access the Pokemon Debug Menu. Here is how to do it:

1) Go to the Bill's PC in any Pokemon Center.
2) Go to move Pokemon.
3) Click on any Pokemon.
4) Choose Cancel.

After you choose Cancel, the Debug Menu appears automatically. It has the following options:

Set Level
Set Species
Set Gender
Set Nature
Teach moves
Duplicate
Cancel

Hopefully you will provide a fix in the near future ;)

PS: I wanted to send this in a PM, but your Inbox is full.

Haha, that's quite a bug :P

Anyway, I don't think poccil is updating the kit any more (at least not for a while); the last release was in February. I'll work on a fix instead.

EDIT: The fix is quite simple. After line 616 in PokemonStorage, which should be:
when 6
add:
if $DEBUG
Then, duplicate line 904, which should be:
end
This should fix the bug.

?Alistair?
July 22nd, 2009, 12:43 AM

[0]
Name=Mirroh
Filename=Map.png
Point=1,19,"Maplebranch Town",,1,35,15,
Point=1,17,"Honeydew Town",,25,25,24,
Point=1,18,"Route 231",,,,,
Point=2,17,"Route 232",,,,,
Point=3,16,"Serenity Woods",,,,,
Point=3,17,"Brendan's House",,33,26,19,

pokemon.txt[/B]"]
[1]
Name=BULBASAUR
InternalName=BULBASAUR
Kind=SEED
RegionalNumbers=0

[509]
Name=SUCOIR
InternalName=SUCOIR
Kind=Fierce Ant
RegionalNumbers=19

Wichu
July 22nd, 2009, 01:09 AM

You need to set each map's map position in the metadata. It's nothing to do with townmap.txt. After that, it should work.

?Alistair?
July 22nd, 2009, 01:46 AM
Thanks wichu, all sorted now (Y)

nmorr
July 22nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
Poccil, whenever I sprite something using paint, it show the back ground image, which I don't want it to, and I put it in as a PNG file.

PLEASE! HELP!!

s0v
July 22nd, 2009, 07:59 AM
OK, I may be missing something...

but when I press on the link to 'Pokemon Essentials' in your sig, Poccil, the webpage comes up. On this webpage I can only click on the links on the left hand side of the page and very few on the right. I can't click on the download link, making it impossible to download. Is there anyway I can get it?

Luka S.J.
July 22nd, 2009, 08:27 AM
@nmorr: All you have to do while importing the images into RMXP is to select the transparency colour.

@s0v: The link to the download should work perfectly. Click here (http://www.upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/pokestarter.zip) to download.

Rileyslucario
July 22nd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Um-I wanted to know how to fix it too! '.'
'

nmorr
July 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks Luka S.J! I'll try that!

nmorr
July 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Sorry for the double post...I don't understand how to make connected maps

Stratega
July 23rd, 2009, 10:33 PM
Hope can help me, my English is bad, but I hope my understanding is
trouble. When I add a Partner in the battle against coaches
works well, but in the battles against wild Pokemon, Partner
can't send to your second pokemon, and if all my Pokemon are fainted, the
battle is never over. He also tried to just putting only one Pokemon to
Partner, but still lost against wild Pokemon, the
battle never ends.

sournote103
July 24th, 2009, 09:30 AM
How do you change the text shadow on the battle H.U.D.? I'm pretty useless at scripting, so I couldn't figure it out. :'(

Fraot
July 24th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Sorry for the double post...I don't understand how to make connected maps

Run the Editor.exe, and then select "Visual Editor". It's on the main folder, where the Game.exe is.
Press F5(it tells you there) and then you'll see instructions or help, whatever you wanna call it. Once the maps are on the screen, just drag the maps in order to make the connections.

I hope you to understand, my english is poor, i can't explain myself better.

~PokeJosh~
July 24th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Ok...I have been editing the scripts for various things ever since I changed the resolution to DS size, and I have been having trouble finding where some things are located in the scripts. I haven't looked at every script, but help would be nice as I am busy editing and importing all 493 pokemon sprites and editing the PBS pokemon.txt file accordingly. I don't know where to find the script that manages the scene in the beginning where you enter in your name, and It desperately needs attention. Also, I wondered if anyone has added all the pockets in the bag from DPPt, and if so, I wondered if that person would be willing to give me the script for it, with credit of course. Thanks for helping, it would mean a lot.

And I just though of something else. Is there a way to make a new option in the visual editor that only incorporates running? Hence, running inside buildings would be possible without setting it to outdoor and making the tints change? That would be amazing if some one could help with that.

AND...sorry I just thought of something again.
How do you change the placement of the circle of light inside any dark cave so that it is centered on the DS size screen?

-PokeJosh

PS Does anyone have a problem with the PokeDex's search engine? I have been having a few glitches.

thepsynergist
July 24th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Ok, so I have this issue where I want to make a conditional branch of a wild Pokemon battle where it branches off when you either kill the Pokemon, catch it or escape. The code I have is as it appears in the attachment.

I want to make it so that the event resets if Celebi is knocked out, or if the character escapes. The caught script is already handled, but this is a big issue for me. Please help someone.

Wichu
July 25th, 2009, 12:54 AM
The 4 in your pbWildBattle method call is actually a variable ID. That variable will then contain the result of the battle, and you can use standard conditional branches for each case. The possible results are:
1: Win
2: Loss
3: Run
4: Capture

Trikeboy
July 25th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Hi, I'm trying to set up a script so it changes the sprite for Nidoran depending on whether it is male or female. I have the female sprite (024.png) set as the default and the following code in PokemonUtilities:

elsif isConst?(species,PBSpecies,:NIDORAN)
d=pokemon.gender==0
begin
return BitmapCache.load_bitmap(
sprintf("Graphics/Battlers/%03d%s%smale.png",species,
pokemon.isShiny? ? "s" : "",
back ? "b" : "", d)
)
rescue
# Load plain bitmap as usual
endHowever all this code does is make the male sprite which is named 024male.png always appear in battle and the default female sprite only appears in the dex. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Luka S.J.
July 25th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Ok...I have been editing the scripts for various things ever since I changed the resolution to DS size, and I have been having trouble finding where some things are located in the scripts. I haven't looked at every script, but help would be nice as I am busy editing and importing all 493 pokemon sprites and editing the PBS pokemon.txt file accordingly. I don't know where to find the script that manages the scene in the beginning where you enter in your name, and It desperately needs attention. Also, I wondered if anyone has added all the pockets in the bag from DPPt, and if so, I wondered if that person would be willing to give me the script for it, with credit of course. Thanks for helping, it would mean a lot.

And I just though of something else. Is there a way to make a new option in the visual editor that only incorporates running? Hence, running inside buildings would be possible without setting it to outdoor and making the tints change? That would be amazing if some one could help with that.

AND...sorry I just thought of something again.
How do you change the placement of the circle of light inside any dark cave so that it is centered on the DS size screen?

-PokeJosh

PS Does anyone have a problem with the PokeDex's search engine? I have been having a few glitches.

The beginning scene is handled in the first map of the whole game called "Intro". There is an autorun even in the top left corner of the map which is the one that handles the event, so that's where you want to edit.

To enable running in indoor places you should set cave encounters into that map. Just leave everything to Bulbasaur and set the encounter density of all to 0. So now that you have cave encounters in an indoor map, you should be able to run. (Also check that entering of the doors doesn't disable running shoes)

As for your last question, somewhere around line 856 in the script PokemonField you should find a code like this:
class DarknessSprite < SpriteWrapper
attr_reader :radius
def initialize(viewport=nil)
super(viewport)
@darkness=Bitmap.new(Graphics.width,Graphics.height)
@radius=48
self.bitmap=@darkness
self.z=9999
refresh
end
def dispose
@darkness.dispose
super
end
def radius=(value)
@radius=value
refresh
end
def refresh
@darkness.fill_rect(0,0,Graphics.width,Graphics.height,Color.new(0,0,0,255))
cx=240
cy=160
cradius=@radius
for i in cx-cradius..cx+cradius
diff2 = (cradius * cradius) - ((i - cx) * (i - cx));
diff = Math.sqrt( diff2);
@darkness.fill_rect(i,cy-diff,1,diff*2,Color.new(0,0,0,0))
end
end
end
Edit the cx and cy values to change the position of the radius of the light circle. The first @radius changes the size of the radius of the circle.

?Alistair?
July 25th, 2009, 06:07 AM
So earlier I was fiddling about with the TrainerCard area of the script in an attempt to make it so it appears ona transaprent background (so yo ucan see the game behind it) during this i was deleting bits a nd bobs, but when it went to put them back in- it didn't work. cna anyone tell me what this should look like.

@sprites["background"]=Plane.new(@viewport)
@sprites["background"].bitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/trcardbg.png")
@sprites["card"]=Sprite.new(@viewport)
@sprites["card"].bitmap=BitmapCache.load_bitmap("Graphics/Pictures/trcard.png")
@sprites["overlay"]=Sprite.new(@viewport)
@sprites["overlay"].bitmap=Bitmap.new(Graphics.width,Graphics.height)
pbSetSystemFont(@sprites["overlay"].bitmap)

if $PokemonGlobal.trainerRecordingEven if you don't know much about scripting you could just look in your script (and c+p it here so i know where things should go.)

lx_theo
July 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM
How can I set the players name to something specific without using the name entry screen. Like how the games would have Red or Gold or all those other choices that you can just press and have it set to that name.

Tekiru
July 25th, 2009, 07:35 AM
hi im new here
i have a problem with adding a shiny pokemon straight into the party, i copyed the script in notes to an event but i get an error like

Exception: SyntaxError
(eval): 5: syntax error
Interpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1615:in `eval'
Interpreter:1615:in `command_355'
Interpreter:467:in `execute_command'

and the event looks like
@>Text: You have no room to store the Pokemon...
@>
@>Script: Kernel.pbAddPokemon(
: : PBSpecies::MAGIKARP,10
@>Script: # Get the Pokémon just added
: : p=$Trainer.party[
: : $Trainer.party.length-1]
: : # Make it shiny
: : p.makeShiny
@>

can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

ghare
July 25th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Hey guys i need help !!!

How can i make one event??? in the internet like Darkrai in D/P/PT

(sry for my stupid question --')

Another question

When i put my log and pass , i wait and then it says: cannot connect to the server (timed out) what do i do now?

~PokeJosh~
July 25th, 2009, 02:57 PM
The beginning scene is handled in the first map of the whole game called "Intro". There is an autorun even in the top left corner of the map which is the one that handles the event, so that's where you want to edit.

Thanks, all the other stuff worked, but what I really wanted to know about the name entering script is how to edit things like the placement of letters and the icons where you enter you name. Where is the script that deals with pbTrainerName?

thepsynergist
July 25th, 2009, 08:00 PM
The 4 in your pbWildBattle method call is actually a variable ID. That variable will then contain the result of the battle, and you can use standard conditional branches for each case. The possible results are:
1: Win
2: Loss
3: Run
4: Capture

The problem with that is that I do not know the ID number of the variable...If I did I would probably not have this problem. Does the result of the win stay in the variable after battle? Because if it does, I'll be able to find the value of the variable in the debug menu and find the ID that way based on the win... If not, then I hope Flameguru or Poccil can tell me what ID the variable is for a wild battle win condition...

PokemonPlatnum
July 26th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I made a new script, first testing it in a blank project it works perfectly but when imported into RMXP it gives me the following error:
Script 'AchievementScript' line 34: TypeError occurred.
undefined superclass 'Window_Base'
Please Help!

Wichu
July 26th, 2009, 06:37 AM
The problem with that is that I do not know the ID number of the variable...If I did I would probably not have this problem. Does the result of the win stay in the variable after battle? Because if it does, I'll be able to find the value of the variable in the debug menu and find the ID that way based on the win... If not, then I hope Flameguru or Poccil can tell me what ID the variable is for a wild battle win condition...
It's variable 4 in your instance. The variable ID is the third argument to pbWildBattle.
I made a new script, first testing it in a blank project it works perfectly but when imported into RMXP it gives me the following error:
Script 'AchievementScript' line 34: TypeError occurred.
undefined superclass 'Window_Base'
Please Help!
Poccil replaced the standard Window scripts with SpriteWindow scripts. Change line 34 of your script to say SpriteWindow_Base instead of WindowBase.

PokemonPlatnum
July 26th, 2009, 06:42 AM
That got that problem out of the way so thanks!
But now, I get another error...:
Script 'AchievementScript' line 121: NameError occurred.
undefined method 'command_new_game' for class 'Scene_Title'

Here is line 121:
class Scene_Title
alias re_new_game command_new_game
def command_new_game
$achieve = Achievements.new
re_new_game
end
end

Help again, lol.

Wichu
July 26th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I'm guessing you got that script from RMXP.org or something. Most scripts won't work with Essentials, since Essentials redefines many of the classes and functions in standard RMXP scripts. If you post the whole script, I might be able to help...

ghare
July 26th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Hey guys i need help !!!

Another question

When i put my log and pass , i wait and then it says: cannot connect to the server (timed out) what do i do now?

PokemonPlatnum
July 26th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Hey guys i need help !!!

Another question

What?
I'm confused...are you using Pokémon Essentials?

ghare
July 26th, 2009, 07:28 AM
yes,is like this,

when i go to the woman tha connects me to the internet, i put my log, and pass, then it says "server timed out" something like that...

Wichu
July 26th, 2009, 08:01 AM
You have to set up the server settings first. And to make a Mystery Gift system, you'll need some good knowledge of RGSS and network programming (probably), which (no offense) you seem to lack.

ghare
July 26th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Hey but i use hamachi, and i alredy set up the server settings....

Now can you please me explain the mystery gift plz...

PokemonPlatnum
July 26th, 2009, 08:24 AM
A mystery gift system requires scripting, learn rgss or get someone who is willing to help you.

ghare
July 26th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Can someone here give me the script and a little tuto because i need thi very fast....
TY

PokemonPlatnum
July 26th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Can someone here give me the script and a little tuto because i need thi very fast....
TY
No offense but:
1. No one, I mean no one is going to give a complicated script away for nothing.
2. This should be posted in the help and request thread
3. Please don't use text speak :D

This feels like mini-modding but I felt I had to get my point across.
~PP

castro1691
July 26th, 2009, 10:23 AM
So, I'm completely new to this scene, so I'm going to try and keep any asking to a minimum, at least until I've read through the topic to find my problems and solutions, and actually spent some time trying to get it working, but it looks like everything you've done is amazing, and it's especially cool to find a topic that's still going, and hasn't been dead, unfinished, and unreleased for several years.

Hope to see even more awesome work, and whatever I use your work for, will be put up here on pokecom first(if it's ever worth being put anywhere, maybe after a years work lol)

Thanks for sharing all your amazing work!

Luka S.J.
July 26th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Hey guys i need help !!!

Another question

Are you by any chance using Pokemon Essentials : Online? Because it sounds to me like you are. In order to load a game in PE:O you have to go to the server folder and run server.exe, than you shouldn't have that error anymore (but thhat's only if you are using the Online starter kit). Also other questions regarding that online kit should be posted here (http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=182552).

?Alistair?
July 26th, 2009, 01:03 PM
In the PokeBattle_ActualScene area of the script, i added (lines 1409-1413)

if @outdoor
pbDayNightTint(@sprites["battlebg"])
pbDayNightTint(@sprites["enemybase"])
pbDayNightTint(@sprites["playerbase"])
endto the end of the pbBackdrop section, but when it's night the background doesn't change. Am I missing something blindingly obvious, because this is one of my first time adding bits to the script. I haven't added in any graphics for the night time backgrounds, because I assumed that's what the tint would do.

nmorr
July 26th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I have a trainer with the same Name and Type. The ID is 2. How do I call that trainer into battle?

ghare
July 26th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Hey thank you for the link :D "luka"

It now worked :D

thepsynergist
July 26th, 2009, 09:19 PM
It's variable 4 in your instance. The variable ID is the third argument to pbWildBattle.

KK thx, fixed. Thank you Wichu, that problem has been bugging me for quite a while.

Rezah
July 26th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hrmm...

In metadata, I have 4 characters. I've assigned each of them to their own IDs (0, 1, 66, 67) and I've added corresponding back sprites. (trback066.png etc) and their own front sprite image for the trainer card.
I've saved it and compiled it, but yet the 3 characters redirect the trainer sprite and back sprite back to the first '0' character.
I'm using the latest version... Any ideas?

elliot292
July 27th, 2009, 12:55 AM
how do i make a trainer battle for rpg maker xp (pokemon essentials)

?Alistair?
July 27th, 2009, 02:08 AM

if @outdoor
endto the end of the pbBackdrop section, but when it's night the background doesn't change. Am I missing something blindingly obvious, because this is one of my first time adding bits to the script. I haven't added in any graphics for the night time backgrounds, because I assumed that's what the tint would do.

Bruno1440
July 27th, 2009, 03:31 AM
i am sorry but the link for de download in the website is not working , can somebody give me the updated link for the starter kit?
thank you

TuRbO-LuT
July 27th, 2009, 06:58 AM
Hi people. You know in R/S/E how you pick your pokemon from the bag? How would i go about making that event in RMXP?
I have tried to do it but im new to this so i wasn't able to get it working.

Thanks~

thepsynergist
July 27th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I have a problem with getting flashing to work in the battle animations. If I select the flash as a target, the flash color stays with the Pokemon. If I select screen for the flash, it has no effect, no flash whatsoever. How do I get this to work? My battle animations are kind of bland with out flashes.

Patrick1463
July 27th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Hi, I have some ( I think ) easy questions.

1. I made a tree, that can be cut down. And I don't know how use the Badgeforcut function....
My other question to "Hidden moves" is, how can I proove that a pokemon in the party
knows this hidden move "Cut", or "Surf".
When I use Surf, it didnt matter wether there is a badge, or a pokemon, who knows this move. :(

2. I have some grunts in a building, as normal trainers. When the boss was defeated, they
should dissapear. But with an normal switch they don't.
How can I make them dissapear?

I hope someone copuld help me with this...It would be very nice.

KieronGames
July 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM
i need help with events how do you make a warp to in my 032:pokemon league inside (008,013

Maruno
July 27th, 2009, 01:21 PM

if @outdoor
That looks somewhat different to what's commented out in my version. I have this:

if outdoor
tone = $HourlyTones[Time.now.hour]
@sprites["battlebg"].tone=tone
@sprites["enemybase"].tone=tone
@sprites["playerbase"].tone=tone
end
Does that work instead?

Hi, I have some ( I think ) easy questions.

1. I made a tree, that can be cut down. And I don't know how use the Badgeforcut function....
My other question to "Hidden moves" is, how can I proove that a pokemon in the party
knows this hidden move "Cut", or "Surf".
When I use Surf, it didnt matter wether there is a badge, or a pokemon, who knows this move. :(

2. I have some grunts in a building, as normal trainers. When the boss was defeated, they
should dissapear. But with an normal switch they don't.
How can I make them dissapear?

I hope someone copuld help me with this...It would be very nice.
1. When interacting with a tree, rock, boulder or water's edge, a check is done automatically to see if any of your pokémon know the appropriate move (Cut, Rock Smash, Strength, Surf respectively). I believe this also happens for Dive when interacting with deep water. The script pbCheckMove is used (Pokemon Field, line 1591 onwards), and just below that script is what happens when you interact with a tree.

I presume you're wondering how to tell whether you have a pokémon that knows the move, or whether the tree is being cut down, etc. just because you're in Debug mode. The way to tell is the message that shows up: if it says "Scyther used Cut!" then you have a Scyther that knows the move. If it says "??? used Cut", then you have no pokémon with the required move ("???" is actually the name of the pokémon with National Dex number 0).

Note that it'll only find the first pokémon with that move, and use it. If you have a Scyther and a Charmeleon that both know Cut, but Scyther is before Charmeleon in your party, Scyther will always be used to cut down trees. It can't tell you how many of your pokémon knows a particular move - the pbCheckMove script only checks to see if at least one of your party knows it.

Alternatively, you can play the game on its own (i.e. not in Debug mode) and see if you can still do the same thing.

2. When you defeat the boss, make his event turn on a switch called "Boss at Silph Co defeated" or similar. In each grunt event, make a new page and have it completely blank (i.e. you can walk through it, there's no picture and it does nothing if you interact with it), and that page is activated only when that switch is turned on.

Note that the switch is a global one, not a self switch.

Stratega
July 27th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Hope can help me, my English is bad, but I hope my understanding is
trouble. When I add a Partner in the battle against coaches
works well, but in the battles against wild Pokemon, Partner
can't send to your second pokemon, and if all my Pokemon are fainted, the
battle is never over. He also tried to just putting only one Pokemon to
Partner, but still lost against wild Pokemon, the
battle never ends

thepsynergist
July 27th, 2009, 02:15 PM
i need help with events how do you make a warp to in my 032:pokemon league inside (008,013

When you want to create a warp from an event, just use the transfer player button in the events page, then click when you want the transfer point to go.

Patrick1463
July 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Thank you, Maruno. It worked. :)
But I still don't know, how to use the function : BADGEFORCUT.
It say I should write there a value from 0 - 7, but I don't know how.
I tried BADGEFORCUT(0), or BADGEFORCUT (0), or BADGEFORCUT0.
( In a conditional branch ).
Does anyone know how to use this? Help would be really nice...

Colbex
July 27th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Thank you, Maruno. It worked. :)
But I still don't know, how to use the function : BADGEFORCUT.
It say I should write there a value from 0 - 7, but I don't know how.
I tried BADGEFORCUT(0), or BADGEFORCUT (0), or BADGEFORCUT0.
( In a conditional branch ).
Does anyone know how to use this? Help would be really nice...

In the script editor, locate PokemonField. There you should be able to rearrange badges required as you want. If you want to be able to use an HM w/o a badge, I think it's either you leave it blank, or give it a -1, I can't remember... Maybe neither, but try that first. Anyway, once you have that completed, after you defeat a gym leader, make sure you have a command that should look like...

Script: $Trainer.badges[0]=true

It's also recommended to create a switch for these badges, to simplify getting past certain areas. For example, after beating the gym leader, turning a switch on named [####: First Badge] = ON. That way if you had an event like.... A man guarding a house.

EVENT PAGE ONE:

(No conditions)

Text: Sorry, but there was a break in and we're in the middle of an investigation. Please come back later.

EVENT PAGE TWO:

Conditions: Switch [####: First Badge] = ON

And then have the entire page, including graphic blank, indicating the person left, or like wise, you could make a second event, very similar, except have it backwards, page one being blank, and page 2 being the man who was originally guarding walking around some place else...

Was that good enough of advice/help? o.o

thepsynergist
July 28th, 2009, 12:00 AM
I still need help with my battle animations problem. The annoying part is that if you select "flash target" the pokemon retains the color of the flash for the duration of the battle. Is there a way to fix this?

KieronGames
July 28th, 2009, 01:50 AM
When you want to create a warp from an event, just use the transfer player button in the events page, then click when you want the transfer point to go.
Yes I know that but I have to press spacebar just to go through there!

Luka S.J.
July 28th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Yes I know that but I have to press spacebar just to go through there!

In the lower left corner of the event page select the option "player touch".

Patrick1463
July 28th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Thank you Garnet.
My question was a bit stupid, I think...

KieronGames
July 28th, 2009, 07:32 AM
One more question how do you make an event happen only once?

Colbex
July 28th, 2009, 08:04 AM
One more question how do you make an event happen only once?
at the end of an event, add a self switch. the next page condsition should be self switch (a,b,c,d) = On
on that second page, add what you want the event to say after it's completed, or leave it blank if the event is to no longer exist.

KieronGames
July 28th, 2009, 08:24 AM
ok hopefully my last questions how do you make a giving pokemon event?
and how do you make a trainer battle?

lx_theo
July 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM
My question still stands, how do u give the player character a set name without using the name entry screen?

Trikeboy
July 28th, 2009, 10:34 AM
My question still stands, how do u give the player character a set name without using the name entry screen?

Go to PokemonUtilities and search for pbTrainer name. Change: trname=pbEnterText("Your name?",0,7)to:
trname=pbEnterText("Your name?",0,7,"X")Where X is the default name for the trainer.

Then in the Intro event remove:
pbTrainerNameThat will not allow you to enter a name and will use the default name.

Torai
July 29th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I tried to add a new Pokémon after Arceus, but the game says it doesn't exist. I put it into pokemon.txt and made some icons for it, but it doesn't work. Can anyone please tell me where I'm going wrong with this?

[494]
Name=RAGUL
InternalName=RAGUL
Kind=Tiger Cub
Pokedex=It is a POKéMON known for its fighting spirit and sharp fangs.
Color=Red
TYPE1=NORMAL
Height=0.5
Weight=9.5
GenderRate=Female50Percent
BaseStats=45,75,60,50,40,30
Rareness=155
BaseEXP=89
Happiness=70
GrowthRate=Fluctuating
StepsToHatch=5120
Compatibility=5,5
EffortPoints=0,1,0,0,0,0
Abilities=INTIMIDATE
Moves=1,SCRATCH,1,LEER
EggMoves=
Evolutions=

TuRbO-LuT
July 29th, 2009, 07:19 AM
I tried to add a new Pokémon after Arceus, but the game says it doesn't exist. I put it into pokemon.txt and made some icons for it, but it doesn't work. Can anyone please tell me where I'm going wrong with this?

[494]
Name=RAGUL
InternalName=RAGUL
Kind=Tiger Cub
Color=Red
TYPE1=NORMAL
Height=0.5
Weight=9.5
Rareness=155
BaseEXP=89
Happiness=70
GrowthRate=Fluctuating
StepsToHatch=5120
Compatibility=5,5
EffortPoints=0,1,0,0,0,0
Abilities=INTIMIDATE
Moves=1,SCRATCH,1,LEER
EggMoves=
Evolutions=

In your game are you trying to make it a Wild encounter like what it is like when you battle a legendary or just like wild in the grass? Or getting given it from somebody else? Do you get an error when you try one of them?

Try this : Make a new event called whatever you want. Give it a graphic. Then insert a new script command (Bottom right on the 3rd page of commands). Type in there

pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::RAGUL,X) replace the X with what level you want it to be. Then insert a Self switch A. Make a new event page and see where it says Conditions? Tick the Self Swith box and set it to A. This will make the event only happen once. Then go up to the event, activate it and get back to us with what happens. As in an error or what.

Trikeboy
July 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM
pbTrainerNameThat will not allow you to enter a name and will use the default name.

Ignore that part. Keep it in. It takes you too the entry screen but will have the default name already entered.

Torai
July 29th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I try to start a battle against my custom Pokémon, but the game cannot start the battle, because RAGUL apparently doesn't exist in the game at all. Do I need to do anything besides edit pokemon.txt and add graphics?

To be exact, when I even try to start a battle or somehow obtain this Pokémon, this is the error message.

Pokemon Essentials

(eval):1:in `pbExecuteScript'uninitialized constant PBSpecies::RAGUL

***Full script:

pbWildBattle(PBSpecies::RAGUL,5)

Interpreter:1652:in `eval'

Interpreter:279:in `pbExecuteScript'

thepsynergist
July 29th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I guess no one can help me with my animations problem.

Trikeboy
July 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM

[494]
Name=RAGUL
InternalName=RAGUL
Kind=Tiger Cub
Color=Red
TYPE1=NORMAL
Height=0.5
Weight=9.5
Rareness=155
BaseEXP=89
Happiness=70
GrowthRate=Fluctuating
StepsToHatch=5120
Compatibility=5,5
EffortPoints=0,1,0,0,0,0
Abilities=INTIMIDATE
Moves=1,SCRATCH,1,LEER
EggMoves=
Evolutions=

It is possible that the "TYPE1" should be "Type1". Also, it is possible that you get the error because the parts that make up the Pokemon are not in the correct order. Try entering the Pokemon using the following template from the original .txt file.

[XXX]
Name=
InternalName=
Kind=
Pokedex=
Type1=
Type2=
BaseStats=
Rareness=
BaseEXP=
Happiness=
GrowthRate=
StepsToHatch=
Color=
Habitat=
EffortPoints=
Abilities=
WildItemRare=
Compatibility=
Height=
Weight=
GenderRate=
Moves=
EggMoves=
Evolutions=
BattlerPlayerY=
BattlerEnemyY=
BattlerAltitude=

TuRbO-LuT
July 29th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah trikeboy your probably right about that. I answered the question asuming that all that stuff was just correct :D

FinalOne
July 29th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hey, I've been lurking around these fourms for awhile getting help, trying to learn how to script a little. But i have a few questions that i havn't found while i've been looking around.

1.Where in the script can you change the encounter rate for shiny pokemon? I havn't been able to find it anywhere.

2.Where in the script can i change the postion of the pokemon in battle? I havn't been able to find this either.

That is all i need help with for right now. Answers would be much apperciated. :)

lx_theo
July 29th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Go to PokemonUtilities and search for pbTrainer name. Change: trname=pbEnterText("Your name?",0,7)to:
trname=pbEnterText("Your name?",0,7,"X")Where X is the default name for the trainer.

What if I wanted to give a choice? Like how the main games have New Name, Generic Name, Generic Name, Generic Name.

FinalOne
July 29th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Edit: i just tested That and when i kept the pbtrainername there, it showed X,Y,Z as the default name. you would need to make a choice branch, which i'm learning how to do. xD

Edit2:Ok now i think i've almost got it, but whenever i call the pbTrainerName event i get a error, what did i do wrong?

Edit3: I Think i'm starting to get a little closer, even without help, but now i'm getting i'm getting a different error with this script.

Edit4: just had to put the "end"'s somewhere else, but now, when i call pbTrainerName, it just gives you the name, /PN.

def pbTrainerName

def pbTrainerNameCommands
commands=[
_INTL("New name"),
_INTL("X")
]
command=pbShowCommands(
_INTL("What do you want to do?"),commands)
case command
when 0
trname=pbEnterText("Your name?",0,7)
when 1
trname=pbEnterText("Your name?",0,7,"x")

I'm pretty much lost now, as i've said before, i'm not a master at scripting or anything, but i'm pretty good at understanding it, just not writing it.
Also, i don'y think i'm going to try to atempt to make this work, because i have no idea what the problem is right now, xD. But at least i tried.

Btw, i have some questions above your post that i need answered. :/

?Alistair?
July 30th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Ok, so here is what the area of script that i changed (un-commented) looks like.

1407 if outdoor
1408 tone= $HourlyTones[Time.now.hour]
1409 @sprites["battlebg"].tone=tone
1410 @sprites["enemybase"].tone=tone
1411 @sprites["playerbase"].tone=tone
1412 end

And here is the error message

Exception: NoMethodError
Message: undefined method `nextBattleBack' for #<PokemonGlobalMetadata:0x597a760>
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1381:in `pbBackdrop'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1483:in `pbStartBattle'
PokeBattle_Battle:570:in `pbStartBattleCore'
PokeBattle_Battle:542:in `pbStartBattle'
PokemonField:413:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:412:in `pbSceneStandby'
PokemonField:414:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:411:in `pbBattleAnimation'
PokemonField:411:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:721:in `pbOnStepTaken'

Luka S.J.
July 30th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Ok, so here is what the area of script that i changed (un-commented) looks like.

1407 if outdoor
1408 tone= $HourlyTones[Time.now.hour]
1409 @sprites["battlebg"].tone=tone
1410 @sprites["enemybase"].tone=tone
1411 @sprites["playerbase"].tone=tone
1412 end

And here is the error message

I recommend deleting that script, and changing the parts where you load the acctual sprites so that it checks if it's night and just loads the normal sprite that has an extension of n. All you have to do now is make the images with the extension "n". That's how i did it.

dragoon944
July 30th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I have a problem i try to load outside off your starter kit and it freezes and ends with some error code? Anyone know why?

Torai
July 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM
It is possible that the "TYPE1" should be "Type1". Also, it is possible that you get the error because the parts that make up the Pokemon are not in the correct order. Try entering the Pokemon using the following template from the original .txt file.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

BTW: It worked!

FinalOne
July 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Hey, I've been lurking around these fourms for awhile getting help, trying to learn how to script a little. But i have a few questions that i havn't found while i've been looking around.

1.Where in the script can you change the encounter rate for shiny pokemon? I havn't been able to find it anywhere.

2.Where in the script can i change the postion of the pokemon in battle? I havn't been able to find this either.

That is all i need help with for right now. Answers would be much apperciated. :)

Eh, i would still like some help please :)

Maruno
July 30th, 2009, 02:50 PM

1. A pokémon being shiny depends on some calculations that use that pokémon's ID number and the original trainer's ID number. The script that does it is in PokeBattle_Pokemon, line 282 onwards.

Very basically, if you change that (d<8) to, say (d<9), I imagine getting a shiny pokémon would be more likely. You could also include more options, such as code that makes all wild pokémon encountered on a particular map shiny (this very question was asked earlier in this thread and got answered).

I would suggest you figure out exactly what you want to do before attempting to mess with this (other than to comment it all out and "return false", in the case that you want to remove shininess from the game altogether) - it's rather conceptually complicated.

2. PokeBattle_ActualScene contains bits of code all over the place that determine the positions of pokémon in both single and double battles. As I recall, though, you can only easily set the horizontal position by editing the numbers here. Said numbers are scattered around, but there shouldn't be too many instances.

To edit how high up a pokémon is, you'll have to look in pokemon.txt for three lines entitled "BattlerPlayerY", "BattlerEnemyY" and "BattlerAltitude". The first two say how high up the sprite should be placed in the cases where it's your or your opponent's/a wild pokémon. BattlerAltitude further raises the opponent's/wild pokémon up off the ground, to make it look like it's levitating (e.g. for Magnemite).

Why does "BattlerAltitude" exist, when "BattlerEnemyY" already exists? Shadows. "BattlerEnemyY" determines where the shadow goes, and "BattleAltitude" determines how high up the pokémon is. You can't just change the picture itself to get a raised pokémon, because then the Pokédex image wouldn't be right, and you can't just make BattlerEnemyY different because then the shadow would be in the wrong place. You need both numbers to make it look right.

So horizontal positions can be changed throughout PokeBattle_ActualScene, and vertical positions can be changed in pokemon.txt.

I have a problem i try to load outside off your starter kit and it freezes and ends with some error code? Anyone know why?
You're going to have to give us some actual information here. Exactly where are you "loading", what are you "loading", what is the error (copy-paste it)?

Luka S.J.
July 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
You're going to have to give us some actual information here. Exactly where are you "loading", what are you "loading", what is the error (copy-paste it)?

I think he is trying to link files that are outside of the root folder, which is why he gets errors.

FinalOne
July 30th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Thank you very much. i'm going to go look into all of that now.

Also, lately, when i start my game up in a playtest, i'm getting a weird error for some reason. mind helpin me out?

BitmapCache:112:in `load_bitmap'
BitmapCache:130:in `character'
Sprite_Character:62:in `update_or'
PerspectiveTilemap:406:in `shadow_update'
Shadow:169:in `update'
PerspectiveTilemap:402:in `shadow_initialize'
Shadow:145:in `initialize'
Spriteset_Map:27:in `new'
Spriteset_Map:27:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
Spriteset_Map:26:in `each'

Thanks

~JV~
July 31st, 2009, 08:20 AM
Is there any way to change the wild battle bgm or trainer battle bgm sperately? (not the next battle bgm command)

lx_theo
July 31st, 2009, 08:33 AM
Is there any way to change the wild battle bgm or trainer battle bgm sperately? (not the next battle bgm command)

You can set those from the Global Metadata in the Editor.exe file

And my question from above above about the player's name is still unsolved

~JV~
July 31st, 2009, 08:36 AM
You can set those from the Global Metadata in the Editor.exe file

And my question from above above about the player's name is still unsolved

Yeah I know that... the thing is that I want to change the ones that were set to something else when you go to another area etc

thepsynergist
July 31st, 2009, 04:00 PM
I want to do this as well, IE if im going to another region, i want to change the global battle music, not change it every time i battle. I think the best way to my knowledge is to create a parallel process that changes the battle theme and place it on all the maps you want the music to change. And for a trainer, after the comments have been compiled into RPG Maker script, add a "change battle bgm" to the beginning of the event page. That's the best way I can think of, if you don't want to script.

~JV~
July 31st, 2009, 04:07 PM
I want to do this as well, IE if im going to another region, i want to change the global battle music, not change it every time i battle. I think the best way to my knowledge is to create a parallel process that changes the battle theme and place it on all the maps you want the music to change. And for a trainer, after the comments have been compiled into RPG Maker script, add a "change battle bgm" to the beginning of the event page. That's the best way I can think of, if you don't want to script.

Nah, I'm seeing you probably don't know about common events, all you need is one and you're done, the problem is that I dont want to change the global next battle bgm but only the trainer/wild one.

Luka S.J.
August 1st, 2009, 01:10 AM
@~JV~ and thespynergist: Why not go about and changing the script that loads the battle BGM for wild ones. I've done it in my game so that it changes the battle BGM to something else if you are batteling legendaries or boss pokemon. Go to line 241 in the script PokemonField. It should look something like this:

if bgm
$game_system.bgm_play(bgm)
else
$game_system.bgm_play("002-Battle02.mid",100,100)
end

Now change that code to this and edit as follows:

if #your condition#
$game_system.bgm_play("#your music#",100,100)
elsif bgm
else
end

And with that the game will check for the condition and load the music you have assigned. That way you can edit the wild battle BGM without the editor and set it to more music files.

Trikeboy
August 1st, 2009, 01:47 AM
@~JV~ and thespynergist: Why not go about and changing the script that loads the battle BGM for wild ones. I've done it in my game so that it changes the battle BGM to something else if you are batteling legendaries or boss pokemon. Go to line 241 in the script PokemonField. It should look something like this:

if bgm
else
end

if #your condition#
elsif bgm
else
end
And with that the game will check for the condition and load the music you have assigned. That way you can edit the wild battle BGM without the editor and set it to more music files.

To add onto that, if you want it to happen on a specific map, you could have your if statement looking like this:if $game_map.map_id==X. Where X is the map ID (you don't need the zero's for it to work). That way, it will play the different BGM on that specific map or else default to normal BGM.

tImE
August 1st, 2009, 03:23 AM
Hi, I need some help, xD

Does anybody know how to make certain pokemon "un-release-able",
And I'm not talking about species, I mean one pokemon i particular, one pidgey, not all pidgey for example.

Also, is there a way to make a Pokémon uncatchable, sort of like the Ghost Marowak in Lavender Tower?
Even though it's a wild battle.

Thanks in advance~

/44tim44

?Alistair?
August 1st, 2009, 06:08 AM
I get this error every time a wild battle starts. I don't know what's wrong, I even tried replacing my Pokebattle_ActualScene and PokeBattle_Battle with just the default essential's ones but still no change.

Message: undefined method `nextBattleBack' for #<PokemonGlobalMetadata:0x5982380>
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1381:in `pbBackdrop'
PokeBattle_ActualScene:1485:in `pbStartBattle'
PokeBattle_Battle:572:in `pbStartBattleCore'
PokeBattle_Battle:544:in `pbStartBattle'
PokemonField:413:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:412:in `pbSceneStandby'
PokemonField:414:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:411:in `pbBattleAnimation'
PokemonField:411:in `pbWildBattle'
PokemonField:721:in `pbOnStepTaken'

~JV~
August 1st, 2009, 08:27 AM

if bgm
else
end

if #your condition#
elsif bgm
else
end

Thx for helping, but I found a better way to solve my ´problem and forgot to post here telling I did. From the @nextBattlebgm I created two variables called @nextWildBattlebgm and @nextTrainerBattlebgm. That way I can organise better what I want and instead of scripts I can use events (which is probably my best area on rmxp seeing I can create really complex things using them) to make what I want.

Patrick1463
August 1st, 2009, 09:32 AM
Hi, I've a little question.
How can I use the runnig shoes in buildings?
When I set in the Editor Bicycle = true, I can, but then I can also use the bicycle.
And that isn't what I want. I want that the player can only use the runnig shoes in buildings.
I searched for an answer in this threat, but I didn't found anything. Could someone help me with this?

?Alistair?
August 1st, 2009, 01:02 PM
Fixed my previous problem (i had to put in the standard essentials scripts), but now i'm getting this new error. Any ideas?

Message: undefined method `pbGetDayNightMinutes' for #<LightEffect_DayNight:0x56fe088>
PokemonField:998:in `update'
AnimationSprite:94:in `update'
AnimationSprite:93:in `each'
AnimationSprite:93:in `update'
Spriteset_Map:44:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
AnimationSprite:55:in `shadow_initialize'
Shadow:207:in `initialize'
Scene_Map:26:in `new'
Scene_Map:26:in `createSpritesets'
Scene_Map:25:in `each'

FinalOne
August 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM
Thank you very much. i'm going to go look into all of that now.

Also, lately, when i start my game up in a playtest, i'm getting a weird error for some reason. mind helpin me out?

BitmapCache:112:in `load_bitmap'
BitmapCache:130:in `character'
Sprite_Character:62:in `update_or'
PerspectiveTilemap:406:in `shadow_update'
Shadow:169:in `update'
PerspectiveTilemap:402:in `shadow_initialize'
Shadow:145:in `initialize'
Spriteset_Map:27:in `new'
Spriteset_Map:27:in `_animationSprite_initialize'
Spriteset_Map:26:in `each'

Thanks

I Asked this question earlier, and it was never answered, i would just like some help please. Thank you.

wigmo
August 2nd, 2009, 01:49 AM
OK lots of questions.

1. Can I edit the Pokemon Info where it says 'Bulbasaur/Bulbasaur'?
2. Can I edit the Pokemon's type like Normal, Grass, Psychic?
3. Can I edit the Pokemon's nature?
4. Can I edit Pokemon attack names, properties, effects, and descriptions?
5. Can I put an animated sprite in the place of Prof. Oak during the intro?

Thanks in advance.

Tokoro
August 2nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Hi! I'm trying to use the pbIsEligible?(pokemon)...but I don't know how to :S...
Thanks =)

thepsynergist
August 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
Ok I have a big question that I really need answers to. I need to know how to make a "patch" for my demo release. I want to be able to fix minor issues without people needing to reinstall the whole game. Does anyone know of a program that can do this for me? I mean "patch" like Blizzard does for WoW. I really need to know this very soon. Can someone please help me? I would greatly appriciate it.

Colbex
August 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Ok, I was renaming all my audio files for more organization, and I kinda editted the song name for the main menu (where it says continue, new game, ect)... My game still works just fine, but it also shows this error message.
PokeMon Holy Garnet
"cannot convert nil into String"
["Section123:802:in `+'", "Section123:802:in `canonicalize'", "Section123:800:in `each'", "Section123:800:in `canonicalize'", "Section039:138:in `Audio_bgm_play'", "Section039:325:in `bgm_play'", "Section084:19:in `pbStartScene'", "Section084:228:in `pbStartLoadScreen'", "Section020:140:in `to_title_update'", "Section020:63:in `main'", "Section136:52:in `mainFunctionDebug'", "Section136:27:in `mainFunction'", "Section136:27:in `pbCriticalCode'", "Section136:27:in `mainFunction'", "Section136:63", "Section136:62:in `loop'", "Section136:71"]
OK

Does anyone know how I can fix this by either telling me the details of the song file used (name, KB size, ect)
or how to change the song to be played to begin with. ._. Thanks in advance.

Maruno
August 3rd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Hi, I need some help, xD

Does anybody know how to make certain pokemon "un-release-able",
And I'm not talking about species, I mean one pokemon i particular, one pidgey, not all pidgey for example.

Also, is there a way to make a Pokémon uncatchable, sort of like the Ghost Marowak in Lavender Tower?
Even though it's a wild battle.

Thanks in advance~

/44tim44
To make a pokémon unreleasable, I imagine you can create a new stat for an individual pokémon (like HP, IVs and so forther are stats) called "norelease". Set this to 1 for any pokémon you don't want to be able to release.

Then, find the scripts that correspond to wherever you can release a pokémon (just the PC, by default), and add in a little check to say that "if $pokemon.norelease==1", or however the syntax goes, then put a "show message saying you can't release this pokémon" bit of script there. The rest of the existing script then comes after an "else".

So "if norelease" then say you can't do it; otherwise, carry on as standard.

I'm not sure whether you'd have to change anything else to make it save the value of "norelease"; ask someone more knowledgable than I. If you don't need to, that's great news (for this and for other things, such as recording the capture level/location of each pokémon, ahem).

As for uncatchable, you could probably adapt the "trying to capture another trainer's pokémon" part of the script. Basically, copy and paste that short section, but have the trigger for it be a switch, such that when it's on, that little section ("It can't be caught!") will run instead of a capture. Turn the switch on just before the battle (presuming it's an evented battle, not a wild one), and turn it off afterwards.

Having re-read your question, this is a little tougher. I'll assume you want to make certain species on certain maps uncatchable (or all wild pokémon on a map uncatchable, which turns out to be a little easier). Replace the switch above with a check to see which map you're in, and what species the wild opponent is (if Mr. Mime or Magmar or Mantine or Pachirisu, etc.). If it's one of the black-listed ones, perform "It can't be caught"; otherwise, catch as normal.

If you were going to have literal ghosts, I'd suggest making a separate pokémon for them and not including it in the Pokédex; then you can just replace the switch with a check to see what the opponent's species is ("if PBSPECIES::LITERALGHOST" then "It can't be caught!", else carry on as normal).

Doing the latter method would mean that you'd need two copies of each Cemetery map, one with Literal Ghost encounters and one with Gastly encounters. Switch between the two depending on whether you have a Silph Scope.

You don't make it clear under what circumstances you want the uncatchable state to be in, so I can't be more specific here.

Hi, I've a little question.
How can I use the runnig shoes in buildings?
When I set in the Editor Bicycle = true, I can, but then I can also use the bicycle.
And that isn't what I want. I want that the player can only use the runnig shoes in buildings.
I searched for an answer in this threat, but I didn't found anything. Could someone help me with this?
Walk_Run, lines 22-28 dictate where you can and cannot run around. By default, you can only run if you're outside or you're in a cave where you can encounter pokémon.

def pbCanRun?
return Input.press?(Input::A) && $PokemonGlobal.runningShoes &&
pbGetMetadata($game_map.map_id,MetadataIndoor)
endThis should allow you to run only if you're inside. I think.

Hi! I'm trying to use the pbIsEligible?(pokemon)...but I don't know how to :S...
Thanks =)
What should that script do? I'm having trouble finding it.

If it's deciding whether a pokémon can learn a move, you want "pbSpeciesCompatible?". It comes with two variables:"(species,move)". Both of those should be obvious.

pbSpeciesCompatible?(MAGIKARP,HYPERBEAM) should equal "no" (or 0 or false or whatever).

If you wanted to display "eligible" or "not" for when using evolution stones or Rare Candy, that doesn't happen by default, and it'd take a bit of fiddling to make it happen. (Basically, you'd need to copy "pbSpeciesCompatible" and change a few relevant things.)

.:Sam:.
August 4th, 2009, 01:57 AM
Hello, It has been a very long time since I posted in this thread. I've hit a bit of a snag and thought one of you kind members might be able to point me in the right direction. At the beggining of the the game, how would I go about creating a scene in which the player selects his desired Pokemon from a briefcase? (As seen in Ruby/Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond/Pearl and Platinum.)

TuRbO-LuT
August 4th, 2009, 05:13 AM
Hello, It has been a very long time since I posted in this thread. I've hit a bit of a snag and thought one of you kind members might be able to point me in the right direction. At the beggining of the the game, how would I go about creating a scene in which the player selects his desired Pokemon from a briefcase? (As seen in Ruby/Sapphire, Emerald, Diamond/Pearl and Platinum.)

Yeah i need to know this too. :D
I have another question. How do i make it so that somebody will escort me from one place to another and when there is wild battles the person who is escorting me uses there pokemon? The player won't have a pokemn yet thats why.

Tah~

?Alistair?
August 4th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Fixed my previous problem (i had to put in the standard essentials scripts), but now i'm getting this new error. Any ideas?

Message: undefined method `pbGetDayNightMinutes' for #<LightEffect_DayNight:0x56fe088>

Fraot
August 4th, 2009, 07:42 AM

Some times, the problems have to be anwered by ourselves. I've fixed many errors on my game on my own, and I'm still a n00b on programming, but I've built little scripts for my use, I mean, on my game.

You should try to solve it by yourself, maybe you should use my process:

Press Ctrl+F on the script window and then paste "pbGetDayNightMinutes". After that, a script, or scripts containing that method, (the "pb") will appear. Then use your logic to solve it.

tImE
August 4th, 2009, 11:21 AM
To make a pokémon unreleasable, I imagine you can create a new stat for an individual pokémon (like HP, IVs and so forther are stats) called "norelease". Set this to 1 for any pokémon you don't want to be able to release.

Then, find the scripts that correspond to wherever you can release a pokémon (just the PC, by default), and add in a little check to say that "if $pokemon.norelease==1", or however the syntax goes, then put a "show message saying you can't release this pokémon" bit of script there. The rest of the existing script then comes after an "else".

So "if norelease" then say you can't do it; otherwise, carry on as standard.

I'm not sure whether you'd have to change anything else to make it save the value of "norelease"; ask someone more knowledgable than I. If you don't need to, that's great news (for this and for other things, such as recording the capture level/location of each pokémon, ahem).

As for uncatchable, you could probably adapt the "trying to capture another trainer's pokémon" part of the script. Basically, copy and paste that short section, but have the trigger for it be a switch, such that when it's on, that little section ("It can't be caught!") will run instead of a capture. Turn the switch on just before the battle (presuming it's an evented battle, not a wild one), and turn it off afterwards.

Having re-read your question, this is a little tougher. I'll assume you want to make certain species on certain maps uncatchable (or all wild pokémon on a map uncatchable, which turns out to be a little easier). Replace the switch above with a check to see which map you're in, and what species the wild opponent is (if Mr. Mime or Magmar or Mantine or Pachirisu, etc.). If it's one of the black-listed ones, perform "It can't be caught"; otherwise, catch as normal.

If you were going to have literal ghosts, I'd suggest making a separate pokémon for them and not including it in the Pokédex; then you can just replace the switch with a check to see what the opponent's species is ("if PBSPECIES::LITERALGHOST" then "It can't be caught!", else carry on as normal).

Doing the latter method would mean that you'd need two copies of each Cemetery map, one with Literal Ghost encounters and one with Gastly encounters. Switch between the two depending on whether you have a Silph Scope.

You don't make it clear under what circumstances you want the uncatchable state to be in, so I can't be more specific here.

xD, I understand I should have been more clear in my question.
But I actually managed to figure out the "non-catch" myself, (it was the same as your idea about
editing the "try-to-catch trainer-pokemon", tough)

But I'm having problems with it;
Since no one bothers answering questions in the Essentials thread, I post my error here.

Pokemon Essentials

PokeBattle_Battle:138:in `pbThrowPokeBall'

PokeBattle_Battle:1653:in `pbRegisterItem'

PokeBattle_Battle:2453:in `pbCommandPhase'

PokeBattle_Battle:2412:in `loop'

PokeBattle_Battle:2467:in `pbCommandPhase'

PokeBattle_Battle:2401:in `each'

PokeBattle_Battle:2401:in `pbCommandPhase'

PokeBattle_Battle:736:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokeBattle_Battle:735:in `logonerr'

PokeBattle_Battle:735:in `pbStartBattleCore'

OK

This happened after I added this:

def pbThrowPokeBall(ball,rareness=nil)
if pbIsSnagBall?(ball)
pbSnagPokeBall(ball,rareness)
return
end
itemname=PBItems.getName(ball)
pbDisplayBrief(_INTL("{1} threw one {2}!",self.pbPlayer.name,itemname))
if @opponent
@scene.pbThrowAndDeflect(ball,1)
pbDisplay(_INTL("The Trainer blocked the Ball! Don't be a thief!"))
elsif $game_switches[31]
@scene.pbThrowAndDeflect(ball,1)
pbDisplay(_INTL("The Pokémon is too strong, it blocked the Ball!"))
else
battler=self.battlers[1]
if battler.hp<=0
battler=battler.pbPartner
end
if battler.hp<=0
pbDisplay(_INTL("But there was no target..."))
return
end

Thanks in advance~

//44tim44

(It was posted in help and requests, but was ignored xP)

Anyway if some one can figure this out, I'd be really grateful.

//44tim44

Maruno
August 4th, 2009, 12:17 PM
xD, I understand I should have been more clear in my question.
But I actually managed to figure out the "non-catch" myself, (it was the same as your idea about
editing the "try-to-catch trainer-pokemon", tough)

But I'm having problems with it;

(It was posted in help and requests, but was ignored xP)

Anyway if some one can figure this out, I'd be really grateful.

//44tim44
Which is line 138? It help to know exactly where your problem is.

Since you've just done a copy-paste, your code shouldn't be wrong. However, I think I've had this kind of silliness happen to me a few times. Try copy-pasting the original code again, but this time to and from Notepad (i.e. paste into Notepad, then copy the stuff in Notepad and paste it back in). That worked for me.

I have no idea why that happened to me. Somehow it didn't recognise one of the characters, I suppose (the "at" symbol?). That's the only (albeit still nonsensical) explanation I can think of.

On a related note, I see pbThrowAndDeflect has nothing in it. The animation needs to be defined for it - the ball getting lobbed and the trainer sliding in to knock it away (one of the many missing features of Essentials).

lx_theo
August 4th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I was wondering, is there a way to have more options when choosing abutton to be pressed in regards to conditional branches? Like is there a small script that I could use right away or edit essential's scripts to have a script command where I could just insert what button I want to use rather from choosing from the small amount unused it shows?

Maruno
August 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
This is a repeat of a question I asked 7 pages ago.

When looking in the Bag (and other places), I notice the above. Namely, that any item whose display name ends with a lower case "f" will have its name squashed horizontally.

This bug has been observed in the Debug "Add Pokémon" menu, the Bag (see picture) and in the Pokédex Summary screen. Each seems to use a different method of displaying the text, as far as I'm aware.

This bug does NOT appear in the Pokédex list (which uses yet another different text display method).

Any ideas why this bug is popping up, and how to fix it? It's driving me nuts.

tImE
August 5th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Which is line 138? It help to know exactly where your problem is.

Since you've just done a copy-paste, your code shouldn't be wrong. However, I think I've had this kind of silliness happen to me a few times. Try copy-pasting the original code again, but this time to and from Notepad (i.e. paste into Notepad, then copy the stuff in Notepad and paste it back in). That worked for me.

I have no idea why that happened to me. Somehow it didn't recognise one of the characters, I suppose (the "at" symbol?). That's the only (albeit still nonsensical) explanation I can think of.

On a related note, I see pbThrowAndDeflect has nothing in it. The animation needs to be defined for it - the ball getting lobbed and the trainer sliding in to knock it away (one of the many missing features of Essentials).

Here is line 138 through 144:
x=(((a*3-b*2)*rareness)/(a*3)).floor
if battler.status==PBStatuses::SLEEP||
battler.status==PBStatuses::FROZEN
x*=2
elsif battler.status!=0
x=(x*3/2).floor
end
The strange thing is, it isn't related to my newly added script at all... o.O

EDIT: Oh, and the notepad thing, didn't work, sadly...

milleniumcat
August 5th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Me and Fangking were just discussing that this could potentially ruin all Fangame making. For the good of the community this should be taken down and out of reach by super noobs.

Thats our opinion though. What should happen is regulated releases. Like in order for people to obtain this, they should already have a lot of Maps and Details of their game.

Great storyline and i like the tiles you put in your game ..but comparing you to veteran hackers you are a noob so your saying you shouldn't use the tools!!!11 bland mapping im sorry but you act high and mighty Zel, crket, and Neti are way better!!!11 they create awesome games!!!11 the mapping sells the game!!!11 That and a storyline.:D:D:D:D:D

lx_theo
August 5th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Great storyline and i like the tiles you put in your game ..but comparing you to veteran hackers you are a noob so your saying you shouldn't use the tools!!!11 bland mapping im sorry but you act high and mighty Zel, crket, and Neti are way better!!!11 they create awesome games!!!11 the mapping sells the game!!!11 That and a storyline.:D:D:D:D:D

You do realize this is a starter kit, not a game...

Pika Storm
August 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM
is there a way to temporarily change your player's sprite?
I tried using the assign sprite script at the begining of the game but it doesn't work

If you want to know why, I am making a torn world like map, I have the upsidedown, and sideways sprites and I'm working on the tiles, but I can't seem to change the sprite for the different gravity fields, could someone please help me?

thepsynergist
August 5th, 2009, 10:02 AM
There are 4 characters that you can choose in the beginnning of the game, you can use one as a temp character and you can change it via script later in the game, check out the notes.html file in your game folder.

P.S yay 5,000th post in this thread woot!

Maruno
August 5th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Here is line 138 through 144:
x=(((a*3-b*2)*rareness)/(a*3)).floor
if battler.status==PBStatuses::SLEEP||
battler.status==PBStatuses::FROZEN
x*=2
elsif battler.status!=0
x=(x*3/2).floor
endThe strange thing is, it isn't related to my newly added script at all... o.O

EDIT: Oh, and the notepad thing, didn't work, sadly...
Incredibly odd. Did you do the copy-Notepad-paste thing for that line, even though it's not a new one.

The error message suggests it doesn't recognise what an asterisk is. Try replacing all of them in that line with Shift+8 (just type them in again; no need to retype the rest of the line).

If that doesn't work, you're some kind of stuffed. I haven't a clue.

is there a way to temporarily change your player's sprite?
I tried using the assign sprite script at the begining of the game but it doesn't work

If you want to know why, I am making a torn world like map, I have the upsidedown, and sideways sprites and I'm working on the tiles, but I can't seem to change the sprite for the different gravity fields, could someone please help me?
The Notes contains a short section on how to change between different character images (http://upokecenter.com/projects/pokestarter/notes.html#miscellaneous). That's probably the easiest way to do it, but remember that surfing/fishing also temporarily changes your sprite. You could have a look at how that happens, and adapt as appropriate.

But maybe that's being overly complicated. Still, it's what you'll need to do (assuming you want all four orientations) if you want more than one player character (boy/girl, for instance).

tImE
August 5th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Incredibly odd. Did you do the copy-Notepad-paste thing for that line, even though it's not a new one.

The error message suggests it doesn't recognise what an asterisk is. Try replacing all of them in that line with Shift+8 (just type them in again; no need to retype the rest of the line).

If that doesn't work, you're some kind of stuffed. I haven't a clue.

Well, thanks anyway, but it isn't really a big problem as the game can continue after this problem.
I guess I'll have to deal with it, in due time...

But i'll try copy pasting the specific line anyway.

Thanks anyway~

//44tim44

.:Sam:.
August 6th, 2009, 03:06 AM
Guys, when I try to register a trainer so she battles with the trainer I recieve the following:

Pokemon Meadow: The Game

Message: Script error within event 18, map 44 (Cyroon Forest):

(eval):2:in `pbExecuteScript'compile error
NER,"Rui",0)
^
NER,"Rui",0)
^

***Full script:

pbRegisterPartner(PBTrainers::PkMnTRAI
NER,"Rui",0)

Interpreter:258:in `pbExecuteScript'

OK

Could someone diagnose this for me and give me a remedy please. :)

Alexandre
August 6th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Put it in the script thing in the event so it it looks like this:

pbRegisterPartner(
PBTrainers::PkMnTRAINER,"Rui",0
)

thepsynergist
August 6th, 2009, 09:06 AM
or if that doesn't work, use entendtext.

Pier
August 6th, 2009, 10:37 AM
I added 2 new types to PBTypes: Light and Space.
As far as I know, I have done this as it is said in the comments in PBTypes.
So this is my script now:

class PBTypes

NORMAL=0
FIGHTING=1
FLYING=2
POISON=3
GROUND=4
ROCK=5
BUG=6
GHOST=7
STEEL=8
FIRE=9
WATER=10
GRASS=11
ELECTRIC=12
PSYCHIC=13
ICE=14
DRAGON=15
DARK=16
LIGHT=17
SPACE=18
QMARKS=19

def PBTypes.getCount
# Change this number if you add a new type
# This number doesn't include QMARKS
return 19
end

PBTypeChart=[
# Rows indicate the attack's type
# Columns indicate the opponent's type
# 0 - Immune
# 1 - "Not very effective"
# 2 - Normal
# 4 - "Super effective"
# When you add a new type, add a number showing effect
# on opponents with that type to each line, then add a
# new line showing effect on attacks with the new type
# on opponents.
]

def PBTypes.getName(type)
types=[
_INTL("Normal"),
_INTL("Fighting"),
_INTL("Flying"),
_INTL("Poison"),
_INTL("Ground"),
_INTL("Rock"),
_INTL("Bug"),
_INTL("Ghost"),
_INTL("Steel"),
_INTL("Fire"),
_INTL("Water"),
_INTL("Grass"),
_INTL("Electric"),
_INTL("Psychic"),
_INTL("Ice"),
_INTL("Dragon"),
_INTL("Dark"),
_INTL("Light"),
_INTL("Space"),
_INTL("???")
]
return types[type]
end

def pbEffectiveness
end

end

To test this script, I changed the type of Cosmic Power to SPACE.
When starting the editor, it showed this error:

Pokemon Essentials
File PBS/moves.txt, line 4
Physical,85,15,0,0,0,abef,Tough,The foe is hit with a flurry of punches that strike two to five times in a row.

Compiler:1919:in `checkEnumField'
Compiler:1944:in `csvEnumField!'
Compiler:415:in `pbGetCsvRecord'
Compiler:365:in `each'
Compiler:365:in `pbGetCsvRecord'
Compiler:1005:in `pbCompileMoves'
Compiler:1004:in `pbCompilerEachPreppedLine'
Compiler:515:in `each_line'
Compiler:515:in `pbCompilerEachPreppedLine'
Compiler:512:in `open'

OK

What's wrong?

Trikeboy
August 6th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I added 2 new types to PBTypes: Light and Space.
As far as I know, I have done this as it is said in the comments in PBTypes.
So this is my script now:

class PBTypes

NORMAL=0
FIGHTING=1
FLYING=2
POISON=3
GROUND=4
ROCK=5
BUG=6
GHOST=7
STEEL=8
FIRE=9
WATER=10
GRASS=11
ELECTRIC=12
PSYCHIC=13
ICE=14
DRAGON=15
DARK=16
LIGHT=17
SPACE=18
QMARKS=19

def PBTypes.getCount
# Change this number if you add a new type
# This number doesn't include QMARKS
return 19
end

PBTypeChart=[
# Rows indicate the attack's type
# Columns indicate the opponent's type
# 0 - Immune
# 1 - "Not very effective"
# 2 - Normal
# 4 - "Super effective"
# When you add a new type, add a number showing effect
# on opponents with that type to each line, then add a
# new line showing effect on attacks with the new type
# on opponents.
]

def PBTypes.getName(type)
types=[
_INTL("Normal"),
_INTL("Fighting"),
_INTL("Flying"),
_INTL("Poison"),
_INTL("Ground"),
_INTL("Rock"),
_INTL("Bug"),
_INTL("Ghost"),
_INTL("Steel"),
_INTL("Fire"),
_INTL("Water"),
_INTL("Grass"),
_INTL("Electric"),
_INTL("Psychic"),
_INTL("Ice"),
_INTL("Dragon"),
_INTL("Dark"),
_INTL("Light"),
_INTL("Space"),
_INTL("???")
]
return types[type]
end

def pbEffectiveness
end

end

To test this script, I changed the type of Cosmic Power to SPACE.
When starting the editor, it showed this error:

Pokemon Essentials
File PBS/moves.txt, line 4
Physical,85,15,0,0,0,abef,Tough,The foe is hit with a flurry of punches that strike two to five times in a row.

Compiler:1919:in `checkEnumField'
Compiler:1944:in `csvEnumField!'
Compiler:415:in `pbGetCsvRecord'
Compiler:365:in `each'
Compiler:365:in `pbGetCsvRecord'
Compiler:1005:in `pbCompileMoves'
Compiler:1004:in `pbCompilerEachPreppedLine'
Compiler:515:in `each_line'
Compiler:515:in `pbCompilerEachPreppedLine'
Compiler:512:in `open'

OK

What's wrong?

Try this:

Physical,85,15,0,0,0,abef,Tough,"The foe is hit with a flurry of punches that strike two to five times in a row."You didn't put the move description in quotation marks.

Pier
August 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Try this:

Physical,85,15,0,0,0,abef,Tough,"The foe is hit with a flurry of punches that strike two to five times in a row."You didn't put the move description in quotation marks.

It doesn't matter. I still recieve the same error code.

Trikeboy
August 6th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Can you post the move from moves.txt?

Pier
August 6th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Can you post the move from moves.txt?

4,COMETPUNCH,Comet Punch,1D,18,SPACE,Physical,85,15,0,0,0,abef,Tough,"The foe is hit with a flurry of punches that strike two to five times in a row."