• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

College students and sharing notes

Years
  • This is mostly directed to those college students out there. I am wondering what you guys think of the "ethics" of selling notes. I for one, think it is wrong, and would even go to say that it is morally wrong. Instructors don't profit off of notes, so why should a student? Not to mention that you already spent hundreds of dollars on the class! I bring this up because I am currently involved with some drama centered around free notes vs. pay notes.

Thoughts?

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • It's fine. I never take notes :x so it doesn't concern me though. :x

Nacon

Item Trafficker
    Years
  • This is mostly directed to those college students out there. I am wondering what you guys think of the "ethics" of selling notes. I for one, think it is wrong, and would even go to say that it is morally wrong. Instructors don't profit off of notes, so why should a student? Not to mention that you already spent hundreds of dollars on the class! I bring this up because I am currently involved with some drama centered around free notes vs. pay notes.

Thoughts?

if you know someone willing to fork money over for notes, it's a way more legit way of making money in a campus over selling drugs... rofl.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Some courses in my school will print and bind the notes for you and then if you want them, you can buy them. My calculus and computer science classes had that. And honestly, I wouldn't mind paying a small fee to copy decent notes either. They'd probably be better than the ones I take, at any rate. :|

What kind of price are we talking about though? I don't think I'd pay more than about ~$13 for notes.

Years
  • Borrowing notes, I'm totally okay with. No one profits, and it's not like you're cheating, so everyone wins, right? Paying? I... don't know, to be honest. On one hand, I can't blame the student for charging, because college isn't cheap. They might want or need the extra money to spend. On the other, I can understand what you're saying about the instructor not profiting. Unless their instructor-made, of course, in which case, I'd probably go "GAAH THEY'RE SUCKING MORE MONEY OUT OF US D:"

I like the instructors that put some notes online. It rocks! But only two of mine do that. XD; It's not the same as being in the class to listen to the lecture, but it'll suffice if you have to skip that class.

Overall, why can't we just share? :) *shot*

Years
  • This class (personality psychology) does not post anything online resembling notes, or a study guide. So it's pretty easy to see why someone would sell notes. But I think it's wrong to sell student made notes, when the notes are just copies of the instructor's powerpoint slides! I think it's ridiculous though that people will charge like 20 dollars for a set of notes for one exam, and then 5 dollars for one day's worth. I personally don't agree with it, everyone misses a class every now and then, and to be honest, I don't pay attention to mass emails where people request notes. It just sucks that if you miss one day and don't know anyone in the class, someone will charge you 5 dollars for the notes.

I definitely believe in sharing, and that's why I'm sending everyone in the class notes for free.

Years
  • I don't see a problem with it. Over here you actually have organised shops selling notes for a lot different studies. I have made use of it sometimes, although I usually also take notes myself. Of course you can also just ask fellow students to copy notes for free, but meh. We also use blackboard a lot where people sometimes upload entire summaries, which is for free obviously.

BlueLunarAngel

Borg Queen In-Training
    Years
  • I actually don't see a problem with it. It's nothing that I myself would participate in, but I don't oppose its practice.

The individuals who attend class "own" their personal notes (and have the option of free-sharing or charging). Those who skip out on class (especially ones who do it casually) are at the mercy of the note-takers. It is reasonable to say that if you miss a day of class, then you must work to make up that day (whether it means studying the textual material twice as hard, or paying someone to give you the day's notes if you can't find someone kind enough to share them for free).

Back