• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Trading from FR to LF on DS?

Autaven

Gamer Girl
Years
  • Sorry if this question has been asked before, but my boyfriend and I have been playing Leaf Green and Fire Red on our DS Lites, and we're wondering how exactly/if we can trade to eachother? Anytime we go to the Direct Link, or the Wireless Adapter upstairs in the Pokemon Centre, it says we're not connected. Does this basically just mean these won't work over the DS Wireless Connection like Diamond and Pearl? Do we need some kind of cable to do this? We don't have/can't find our GameBoy Advances to actually trade over them, and I can't find my cable for it anyway. So is there no other possible way?
    Thanks in advance.

Did you ever get a wirless adapter that came with your leafgreen/firered games? It was a sort of boxy semicircle that pluged into the top? I don't know if it would fit onto a DS though, I'm stuck on SP till christmas...

But I'm guessing that the WIFI link does not have backward compatability. So older games won't work over it because its a different system and can't apply backwards.[/speculation]

You could try seeing if you could connect to pearl or diamond with the Wirless, trade them onto that, and then trade them to the other game from there...

EDIT: I just did a google search on the subject, and apparently its not possible to use the DS wireless capability on FR/LG/R/S/E. Sorry, but you will either need a link cable, the advance wireless adapter (You should have one, unless you got the games used). You could probably pick up an old advance cable for something like 5 bucks. Shouldn't be to costly. Good luck with your problem!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    You could try seeing if you could connect to pearl or diamond with the Wirless, trade them onto that, and then trade them to the other game from there...
    I've heard you cannot trade from DP to older games. Once you trade them to DP, you cannot trade them back.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I know you can trade from the GBA games to DP (but you'll have to catch the Pokemon in a kind of park). But I know no way of trading them back. I asked someone, but he said you can't trade back.

To trade between the GBA games and DP you must have the GBA cartridge and the DS card in you DS and go to that park in DP.

I have never done it, so hopefully someone will post a better explanation.

EmpoleMew

Lunatic Lunar Rabbit
    Years
  • I have the better explanation.
    Using the DS, you cannot use multiplayer functions on any GBA game. It is actually stated in the panphlet(sp?) for DS that you "also enjoy your favorite GameBoy Advance games in single-player mode". Also on this GBA to D/P thing. It is called Pal Park migration. Once per day, you can select the migrate option on the D/P main menu. You select six Pokemon from the GBA cartridge and they are written into the DS card. They count as released on the GBA cartridge. Then you go to Pal Park which is on the route south of Sandgem Town and you catch the Pokemon. The six chosen Pokemon CANNOT sent back on the GBA cartridge in which case you may want to abuse the Emerald Cloning Glitch.

Autaven

Gamer Girl
    Years
  • Yeah, I already know how to trade from 3rd Gen to 4th Gen, I was just wondering if it was possible to trade 3rd gen to 3rd gen on a DS instead of a GBA. I've googled it also, but couldn't find any answers. That's alright anyway, thanks for your input :)

Exokriz

Delete.
    Years
  • There is no way you can trade 3rd Gen to 3rd Gen on the DS itself. You will need to find your GBAs or you would have to transfer what you want to trade to D/P and trade from there.

Once you transfer 3rd Gen to 4th Gen, there is no way you can send them back.

Zowayix

hi
    Years
  • can you use wireless adapter on DS?

also I have used walmart.com and amazon.com and nintendo.com and I can't find a GBA Link Cable anywhere.

Lyra.

Usagi Small Lady Serenity
    Years
  • u can't link a GBA cable to a Nintendo DS. there's no way it will fit.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    can you use wireless adapter on DS?

also I have used walmart.com and amazon.com and nintendo.com and I can't find a GBA Link Cable anywhere.

...have you even read the thread? No, you can't use any multiplayer device on the DS because it simply doesn't fit.

Back