• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime or Classic Animation?

Anime or Classic animation?

• Classic Animation

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Anime

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

Fox♠

Banned
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I don't mean today's western cartoons, I mean the classics from the 30s to the early 80s.

I'd have to go with classic animation, a lot of anime tries to be funny, but fails miserably. I don't see why big heads and small bodies with a rain drop are considered humorous.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Every man to his own.
    There are some animes i do like, but very few. Most have nothing on say, Looney Toons.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
  • I prefer anime by far. Here are some reasons.
    1. Those classics I hate because they're as old as the hills and lately, I just want to try something new and fresh.
    2. The characters in anime are usually hot (unless it's like DBZ where the women are drawn kinda.... rough
    3. The comedy is less cliche and it's more in depth

As for the art style preference
    I must point out, that when I was little, I liked to draw. However, I was mostly exposed (and knew only of) American cartoons. I didn't like to draw them however. It trapped me because I sucked at realism and I wanted to let my creativity out on paper and my current dotty faces could only express so much. I didn't draw stick figures, I drew a regular figure (or tried to) and put a head with two dots for the eyes, a curved line for the mouth and scribbled hair in a way to make it look realistic.
    However, come the influence of Zelda and Pokemon's art style, my characters now had triangle eyes (Team Rocket) and also began sporting anime faces (Team Rocket). I kept evolving with the help of many other art styles. The Toshihiro Ono chibi style really influenced my drawing at one point. But it wasn't just his chibi. My anime eyes were heavily influenced from his artstyle. However, the eye style somwhat resembles Pokesho's art style so people think that whenever I draw the eyes in the Ono influenced style, it's actually Pokesho influenced even though I dont mean it.

But overall, anime (and parts of the Japanese culture like it's language) saved my sorry American butt so I vote for anime.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I like both for what they stand for.
    Anime, though some being children entertainment, tend to tackle issues that apply to real life, or have more in depth story telling.
    Western cartoons, both classic and modern, are more uplifting in a way, and I love comedy (slapstick or otherwise).

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Put against anime of today, older American cartoons win, easily. The anime field is in a slump just catering to whatever the current otaku, moe or tsundere fad is. Most of today's anime tries to look smart with pseudo political commentary, but it just fails almost all of the time, especially the last few Gundam series and almost any mech that tries the real robot thing. It's ironic that the most recent super robot show, Toppa Tengen, was better than the last three Gundam series. As for comedy? Yeah, older American cartoons win that one too. There are a few good anime in that field, but it's usually just going to be really exaggerated (in a bad way) attempts at comedy.

But put against anime of the early new millennium, 90s and 80s, anime would easily win, that's when anime was at its zenith, nowadays its a failing genre that would rather pump out 20 substandard shows for every two or three good shows.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I've watched most of Excel saga and have two volumes of it on DVD, and it isn't a scratch on Popeye.

Anime's anatomy is nearly always rubbish, admittedly Popeye looks like he has tumours for arms, but that is the art of exaggeration. My old art teacher and current Graphics tutor say anime is the worst art style of all.

In all fairness, older animes like Akira and Fist of the North Star are pretty good, but again, they are classics of the genre.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I've watched most of Excel saga and have two volumes of it on DVD, and it isn't a scratch on Popeye.

Anime's anatomy is nearly always rubbish, admittedly Popeye looks like he has tumours for arms, but that is the art of exaggeration. My old art teacher and current Graphics tutor say anime is the worst art style of all.

In all fairness, older animes like Akira and Fist of the North Star are pretty good, but again, they are classics of the genre.
    But isn't the "anime style" an art of exaggeration too?

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Anime has some of the worst drawings!
    Old cartoons set the grounds for a lot of humor these days, weather you want to admit it or not.

The Humor could be a lot worse, like they could have big heads and sweat drops when something is supposed to make the audience laugh but doesn't.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    502.jpg

WOAH YEAH I COMPLETELY SEE HOW THAT IS BETTER DRAWN!!!!!!!!!
    Srsly older anime is better drawn, look at Fist of North Star and Dragonball. Today has a load of bull, things like Bleach and Cowboy Bebop are drawn well, but a lot of others aren't. So you don't like Tom and Jerry, looney Toons or Popeye at all?

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Where are her teeth?
    I hardly see how that is better drawn than most Western cartoons to be honest =/

Back