• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Over 512 RAM?

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    I have 2 leftover RAM cards (256 each, so 512) from my old XP Pro and I'm assuming they are compatable with my new XP Pro (which already has 512 RAM with just 1 card). I haven't actually checked inside the computer case yet to see how many slots I have left open, but can I add more RAM to my XP?

My old XP couldn't go over 512 for some reason so I had to stash my 3rd RAM Card away (and now the 3rd 512 RAM Card is in my new XP).

If my system specs matter, here they are based on the EASY program from EA.

1334 Mhz (1.34 GHz)
    Authentic AMD
    AMD Family 6 Model 8 Step 1
    512MB RAM
    1046MB out of 1250MB Virtual RAM Used
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 with 128MB Video Memory
    CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device-(C-Media)
    115.03GB on Drive C, 109.02GB Unused

And how do I increase my MHz/GHz (processor speed??)? And the Video Memory? What's Virtual RAM? Why does my computer use all those letters and numbers as the name for my C-Media sound card???

Gr8person62.2

*Insert_Evil_Music_Here*
    Years
  • If you could just tell me your motherboard, then I could most likely confirm that you could. From what you just told me, yea, you can have more than 512. It's just up to how many slots your motherboard has, and how much it can handle.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    *Old Post deleted by me*

My old RAM cards don't work with my current computer. I opened up the case and looked at the RAM card I have right now and I wrote down what it said to try to search around for a similar model but I found hundred and half the stuff it says I don't understand. So if anyone know what kind of RAM card I'm looking for, please help me. Here's what it said on one side (the other side just ranted about warranty)

PC2100
    DDR SDRAM
    64Mx64
    512MB

And right on the very coner of all that it said DDR DIMM. My motherboard...

ESC EliteGroup
    K7TVA3 via KT333
    (this part I have no idea but it says K7FSB[333 under that] under the KT333)

EDIT: I found the manual to my motherboard and read the memory installation section. It says it supports up to 2 184-pin 2.5v unbufferedDDR SDRAMM, each RAM module can have from 32MB RAM to a limit of 1GB RAM, and a maximum of 2GB installed with all modules togethor. Then it says somrthing about my system running at 333MHz CPU FSB and auto-setting the modules to DDR333, I don't know what this means but I have a vague guess. So after reading all of this, I went on to Kingston and searched aorund and found this.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator/partsinfo.asp?ktcpartno=KVR266X64C25/512

So will that work with my motherboard/system/whatever the heck these things are called?

And if someone has time...could he/she/they explain to me what stuff like FSB, 64x64, CL2.5, 184-pins, and SDRAM mean??? Plus the questions I had at the bottom of my first post of this thread?

*searches for 100 bucks while waiting for answer*

Last edited:

Gr8person62.2

*Insert_Evil_Music_Here*
    Years
  • To check if RAM is compatible, theres this 1 website you need to know. www.crucial.com . Search for your motherboard and it will tell you.

Now, definitions!

FSB = Front Side Bus. The speed of that (in your case 333mhz) is the speed in which your processor communicates with your RAM.

CL2.5 (can also be CL2 and CL3) = That is the latency of the RAM. The lower the better.

DDR SDRAM = Theres a lot of types of RAM. the two newest and best are DDR and SDRAM. DDR is better than SDRAM though.

PC2100 = Thats the speed of that RAM. 2100 is slow. 3200 is good.

Virtual Memory = Instead of using the RAM, your computer will store data on your hard drive (in the "pagefile") and use it as if it where RAM.

Hey, look, I know I missed a lot. I too lazy. If you want to know what all these terms are, make me a list. Or search google!

Back