• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Golden sun rom hack.... need info great peeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2014
    okay im came to this forum as i know there is alot of talent with patching games and rom hacks and what not.

I was just wondering does anyone know were to start when wanting to make a patch for the game. Its a game i would love to get into and mess with and hopefully make something of it.

I know this is a Pokemon site so please dont flame me as Golden sun rocks

lol

thanks for any info in advance

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    well yeah golden sun rocks but i honestly don't think that there is a program that hacks golden sun.But then again the internet is a big place.
    i'll try to check for golden sun programs and tell you what i've got.
    but if there aren't any GS programs,then i suggest you try to make one yourself.

Teh Baro

In my times...!
    Years
  • Maybe there aren't tools, but you'll probably find stuff on how to edit the stuff or how is the rom built.
    You'll find some graphics in tilemolester.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2014
    i haven't a clue were to start.. ive opened it up in a Hex and just see alot of numbers. dont know were to start.

I found a program called GStoolkit which allows you to edit text in the first golden sun.. but couldnt get it working

and Megiddo, i,ll hold you to that ^^

Last edited:

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    well you are just one step closer to making your own GS hack once you get it working.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2014
    erm thanks... so.............. these numbers, in Hex..... ahh never mind haha, i,ll get it working then i am gonna do a golden sun Parody .... remember the name MaxiPower90

something like i done here but better youtube.com/watch?v=6_vRUoACYhk

aerowolf

Beginning Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2009
    *blinks* Of all the...why didn't I think of that idea?! Although, I could really see some problems in adding new summons and the like...Good luck, though, that's really ambitious

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    MaxiPower already knows, but I thought I'd tell the rest of you I'm working on it.

I've made a lot of good progress with pulling data out of the game, haven't bothered reversing the process quite yet though. The game uses compression a lot, and I'm working on figuring out how things can safely be moved around to make more room if it's needed.

So far I've got:
    Sprites & Animations, Tilesets, Tile Data for areas, and am making progress with item data, some NPC & event data for areas (Not quite sure how much it controls yet), and some other various data for areas.

I'd like to post links to stuff to prove what I've done, but apparently I can't do that until I have 15 posts or more...

dewie68

Avalanche Mercenary
    Years
  • hey BTW does anyone know of a 3rd golden sun? ANY info plz give a site or something. thx and sorry to off-topic on your thread but i know your pain in hacking lol. like i said ANY info?

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    IIMarckus, thanks. I've already done a lot of looking around for info on hacking Golden Sun, so I've already seen it. If possible I'd actually like to keep the compression intact though.

dewie68, nothing concrete yet. They want to make another one, Nintendo wants them to make another one, but it's a small company and they've been busy with other games. The best they've said is that they're working on design documents for RPG stuff, but there's no specific confirmation of anything GS related other than that they do want to make another one.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    Mario Golf/Tennis games, and "We Love Golf"

They aren't 'officially' working on anything right now though, hopefully we'll hear something about what they're doing at E3 this year.

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2012
    well, i must ask, what are you planning on doing with this game? the game is already awesome as it is.....are you adding more summons or what? anyways good luck with it.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    I'm not really intending to do anything with the game myself right now, I'm just planning on making tools so it's easier for other people to edit the game.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I'm not really intending to do anything with the game myself right now, I'm just planning on making tools so it's easier for other people to edit the game.

Good, because the first and second were amazing games. Me and my friends played them religiously when they first came out, and even went as far as cosplaying at a few events <_<

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Dec 30, 2011
    I don't want to promise anything yet, I'm busy with other stuff so I don't really have a whole heck of a lot of time to devote to it.

If I do manage to get around to it they'll more than likely be for The Lost Age. It's ROM is a lot more nicely organized so it's easier to mess around with, also it's engine is basically an upgraded version of the original Golden Sun's so it'd be better for editing anyway. I dunno though, from what I've compared so far their data formats look pretty much identical, it might not be too difficult to get things working for both of them.

Back