PDA

View Full Version : Lizardon or Charizard??

fade101
April 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Zenigame or Squirtle? Hitokage or Charmander? Fushigidane or Bulbasaur? Japanese name or English name?? Which one suits the pokemon?? As for me... english is good... LoL

DragonairKing2000
April 23rd, 2008, 06:25 PM
Alright, I don't know but I think the japanese name for Squirtle is bad, the japanese name for Charmander is okay, and the long japanese name for Bulbasaur is way to long, and by the way, your thread name is kinda confusing.

fade101
April 23rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Alright, I don't know but I think the japanese name for Squirtle is bad, the japanese name for Charmander is okay, and the long japanese name for Bulbasaur is way to long, and by the way, your thread name is kinda confusing.LoL!! :P It is??? How?? The Lizardon thingy or the japanese / english name thread name thingy??

DragonairKing2000
April 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM
The "Lizardon or Charizard" thread name is kinda awkward and can get people confused, it will think it's pertaining to Charizard.

fade101
April 23rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
Owh... can i change the thread name?? is it possible?? dang...

DragonairKing2000
April 23rd, 2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah you can, you can change it by editing the first post from the thread, but i think you have to change up the texting in it also.

fade101
April 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
Yeah you can, you can change it by editing the first post from the thread, but i think you have to change up the texting in it also.Sweet!!! Thanks dude!! I hope the thread name is clear enough... LoL!!

hothead
April 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM
the english names are heaps better maybe cause i grew up with but they just sound right i don't like the japanese names

Jude Mathis
April 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Well, I got used to their Japanese names alittle before I saw the dub. Because I found out about Pokemon shortly before it came to the US, so I was more used to Zenigami, Fushigidane, Hitokage, Kyuukon, ect.. but really, what name I'm more used to depends on the Pokemon. I didn't know the Japanese names to ALL 150 at the time, so with some of them I'm more used to their english names.

Gunn
April 23rd, 2008, 09:15 PM
I like the English names for Pokémon. English is my native tongue so its easier for me to pronounce. Plus, I don't want to sound like a weeaboo for calling all the Pokémon by their Japanese names.

DaiLinn
April 24th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I've noticed that Pokemon is one fandom where it seems almost.. 'better' to stick with the English names, of course, in the English-speaking fandom, I mean.

I don't even know the Japanese names of most of the newer ones, but I recently started rewatching the first anime--although the Japanese version, and started to get quite fond of the Japanese names.

It's kind of annoying to have to keep up with two sets of names, but not so bad.

I do prefer Barriad to Mr Mime though. Simply cause uh. Female Mr Mime = wut? XD The English name is just stupid in that regard.

[3am post, apologies if it makes no sense!]

WaluigiRedclaw91
April 24th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I enjoy english but if we were japanese we would all say japanese

XaRhS
April 24th, 2008, 05:23 AM
i agree with you my friend.it's more easy for us to like the english names because we have get used to them

rusticolus
April 25th, 2008, 04:30 PM
For many pokemon of generations II - IV, I'm more familiar with the Japanese names just cause those are the ones you know first when they're released in japan.
Turtwig will always be Naetoru to me, and Skarmory is still Eamuddo…

Decypher
April 25th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Personally I prefer the most of japanese names to english names, there are some names though that I prefer the english ones.

Moonlit Umbreon
April 25th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Charizard is the pokemon's name I was brought up with, the only name I've known it as. To the Japanese, they would choose Lizardon, simply because it's the name they were brought up with. To me, Charizard suits it better too.

Gummy
April 25th, 2008, 07:16 PM
For the Pokemon, english names all the way. For the anime characters, I prefer the japanese names.

Berlitz
April 25th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Really depends on the which of the 400 and somemore we're talking about. I mean, Barriad is better than Mr.Mime ,but...Lizardon doesn't go over Charizard.

Yours so eager to read more Pokémon Manga and Watch More Pokémon Anime (when the epis are good.)

Berlitz Ojyou-sama. <3

Andelc
April 26th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I prefer english because thts what I speak.

Night Soul
April 26th, 2008, 12:17 PM
For me the Japanese names are mostly really hard to pronounce. Although I'm from Germany I definetly prefer the Engish names. They sound not as stupid as the German ones. The German names seem to get more stupid with every generation (e.g. "Bamelin" for "Buizel").

Toblerone
April 27th, 2008, 03:27 AM
I agree. They are very hard to pronounce in my opinion. Even though Lizardon is a good name for Charizard. I think it fits it's appearance.

Peanutassailant
April 27th, 2008, 03:31 AM
i would say the english name.

1, english names are more desireable and rarer than japanese names
2, this was what i was accustom with as a kid, "charmander" "bulbasuar, "Squirtle"
3, i just plain think they sound better, lol, the japanese names seem to long winded

Acrutheo
April 28th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Changing now would obviously be infeasible because the vast majority of the English fandom has always had these names, and to change now would cause problems. Even if we could go back in time and change it, I wouldn't want to. This is because all the English ones have etymologies that can be traced more easily, whereas some of the Japanese etymologies wouldn't make sense. I will concede that some Japanese names are better, for example, as Berlitz said, "barrier'd" over "Mr. Mime", as far as females are concerned.

austin00081
April 29th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Pochama is cuter than Piplup in the anime.
;3

Tsuroerusu
April 29th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I think the English names for this generation of starters were really good, but then we got to "Blaziken" which I thought was pretty bad.

zilla103
April 29th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I like the english names better because it fits the pokemon better and most of us grew up with the english names so the jappanese names for me are weard.

SBaby
April 29th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I'll be honest with you. I favor the English names, because those are the names I remember the most. Those are the names I heard back before I had Internet access and could go on message boards where people wondered why I used the dub as a reference. And thus, those are the names I familiarized myself with. I don't have the patience, nor the incentive to familiarize myself with 4 entire Editions of Japanese names. So dub it is.

On another note, I just watched the dub version of the Cynthia episode (where she battles Paul) and I have to say, I'm now a firm believer that she is the Pokemon version of a Druid. She seems to stay neutral in everything (such as the way Paul treats his Pokemon), and talks about Legends and nature almost on a constant basis.

Cherrim
April 30th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I prefer the English names. Unfortunately I don't know Japanese well enough to understand any puns or references in them but at least in English I can do that much. It makes it more enjoyable, not to mention a little easier to remember, which is great considering the sheer amount of Pokémon now.