• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2D Pokemon or 3D pokemon?

indyfan

I want your Master Balls
Years
    • Seen May 6, 2008
    Would you rather have a 3D pokemon game (Same concept as 2D, except all in 3D, kinda like Zelda did it, and no, those horrible 3D pokemon games dont count)

or the classic 2D?

if they made the change would you happy? sad? mad?

My Opinion? a 3D pokemon adventure on the wii would be awesome...just sayin

Ionic

God of nothing
    Years
  • I wouldnt really like it.

I love pokemon for the fact i can take it with me anywhere.
    If they had to take that away for 3d id rather not.

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    i would like a 3d-mmorpg on the wii - with a really, really advanced anti-cheating system and also something that people who like to play a few hours a week have a chance against no lifes who play 24/7

Archayos

THEY KILLED THE PURPLE T_T
    Years
  • I wouldn't really mind either which way. Although I think that they'll end up killing the "RPG Feel" by making 3D, if you know what I mean. I'd sure love to give it a shot though.

About carrying pokemon around, yes, I'd prefer that if they were to make it 3D, it'd rather be on the DS or something. Or maybe they can come up with a new console or something? Ya never know. :P

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    I say if they were to make it 3D, they should make it somewaht similar to the Anime.

-Make ALL pokemon of that region available (including Legendaries, but they have to be obtained similar to the way they are obtained in handheld games)
    -Make missions and events similar to the Anime (For instance, a tag battle tournament, Pokemon Contests, rescuing a kidnapped Pokemon, beating Team Rocket {Jessie, James, Meowth}
    -Have a global Pokemon Tournament for trainers who have beaten the 8 Gym Leaders
    -Have a global Grande Festival for coordinators who have beaten 5 Contests
    -Allow NPCs to travel with your character giving them advice and helping them in tight situation.

This is most likely for Next-Gen consoles, lol.

Years
  • If they made Pokemon Main RPGs 3D, their goodness would be halfed. In fact, they would get tiring, slow, bad and nevertheless different. There is absolutely no reason for that to happen. Colosseum and XD failed bad. Just keep the battles on the classic 2D, Sprite style, the overworld 2.5D with the classic camera angle, and everything is ok. And for the sake of god, just don't make it as idiotic as an MMORPG. I don't want to sacrifice day hours of my life for a game that would put time consuming over strategy and the heat of the moment. This is the best characteristic of Pokemon. It does not require consuming as much time as possible in order to get good. Mostly strategy and sang-froid combined with readiness, devotion and action are what it takes. That's why I like Pokemon; it gives you the feel of action although it is a turn based game; it doesn't require your giving your life for the sake of a game; it gives you addiction without consequences.

Please, just keep the original style.

Years
  • I would kill for a 3D Pokemon MMORPG on the Wii. That would simply be the best. Also, if you can battle like how they battle in the Anime, that would ROCK!

Cid

Years
  • It's okay for me if they made a True Pokemon RPG in the Wii console in 3D, though it's fine with me if they don't, either...

The 2D effects are great already, so it's okay for me whether they change it to 3D or not...

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I'd like something like Golden Sun, lots of effects and animations, but still simply using two-dimensional sprites, and obviously still bound to a handheld console.

Last edited:

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
  • I think this would be a very good idea. I've been dreaming of this for a long time, now, actually :3.
    I know games like Colleseum and Pokemon Stadium failed, but it wasn't because they were 3D. It was because there was little to no freedom. In Colleseum, your starter Pokemon were chosen for you. And you had a mission you had to accomplish. The reason all the GB/GBA/DS games were so popular was because you could catch and train any Pokemon. It was a way to express yourself. The Pokemon you raised reflected on what type of trainer you were. And best of all, there was no point where the game ended. Sure, your main goal was to beat all the Gym Leaders and defeat the Elite Four, but unlike other games, it didn't end there. Infact, there was still more to do! You could go places you weren't previously able to go, obtain new Pokemon you weren't previously able to obtain. And once you'd done all those things, you could begin training every Pokemon to level 100. That kept ya busy for a long time. (In fact, I don't think anyone's ever done that).

So I think if Nintendo made a 3D style game based on a GBA/DS style game, it would do very well. Think of it; running through fields and fields with your trainer, in a behind view. xD I think it would be pretty nifty. Another thing Nintedo could add would be the option to custimize your trainer with different clothes, skin color, etc. Then, when you had a Wifi battle, you wouldn't show up as some random Bug Trainer or Ace Trainer on your opponents screen.

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
  • I also agree with UN. And who knows; by the time we're ready to have a 3D Pokemon adventure, we could have the Nintendo [insert cool name here], and be playing in virtual reality. That would be pretty neat-o, if you ask me ;3

Back