• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

To evolve or not to evolve?

Pineapi

Must. Have. Cute. Pokemon.
Years
That is my question! I did a search but didn't find anything, I never really knew if stopping your pokemon from evolving prohibits it from reaching full potential and everything..? I have some I don't want to see evolve but I'm obviously not going to stop the process if it means I'm stuck at level 15 or they suck for the rest of the game or something.

Storm-DC

Dance Instructor
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Dec 2, 2019
good question. i actually dont know.. i guess i tried it out in RBY and every time you will level up it will be evolving again. i guess there are two reasons to not let a pokemon evolve. one: you really like the pokemon the way it is. two) it might still learn a move (altough this is mainly when you evolve a pokemon with a fire/water/etc stone too fast).

Acrutheo

The boundless night~
Years
They still level up, just, as Storm-DC said, you have to cancel evolution every time it does. Unless of course your pokemon is holding an Everstone. However, not evolving will mean in the majority of cases its stats will be worse, but you will have the opportunity to learn new moves earlier.

Years
It still levels up and everything but like Acrutheo said but it will have horible stats it might not learn all the moves that it can like if u keep a mudkip a mudkip forever it will not learn mud shot earthquake or other moves like that so in the end evolving wins because there is more pros to evoving then cons and if you really think about it the only con is they get less cute

ShadowofTime01

Pokemon Professor
Years
Also in the case of pokemon that evolve by stones, some of them don't learn more attacks, like when you evolve pikachu into Raichu, it becomes worthless because you can no longer learn moves through leveling up.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
Years
i have mixed feelings. Primarily, im a yes on evolution. Better stats, better moves, fuller pokedex... its generally a good thing. I do have exceptions though. ie: my Dragonair, I haven't evolved it because a) I like it's appearance better than Dragonite; b) It only has a x2 weakness to ice as opposed to Dragonite who is 4x and gains weakness to electrcity; c) its personal preference. I also do this for pokemon i keep as "pets"

Pineapi

Must. Have. Cute. Pokemon.
Years
Yeah that's mostly what I prefer to keep the pokemon for. I don't care about having the strongest or anything, I run around tall grass to level them all up and I choose the ones I like to keep around, the others I store. That stinks though that they won't learn all their moves though.... Ugh! Kinda torn now hmm..

Thanks everyone for the input :)

Years
Yeah that's mostly what I prefer to keep the pokemon for. I don't care about having the strongest or anything, I run around tall grass to level them all up and I choose the ones I like to keep around, the others I store. That stinks though that they won't learn all their moves though.... Ugh! Kinda torn now hmm..

Thanks everyone for the input :)
Im in the same predicament with me elekid at the moment, i hate elctabuzz, but it is/wold be stronger. but i love elekid to much, it looks way cooler

Back