• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen term: "Shiny"

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Fans made it.
    in the guides, they just call them differently coloured pokemon.
    i can't explain why they are called because the graceful assassin already got here before me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    I think they are called "alternate colour Pokemon" or something like that. However, in the card game they were called "Shining". That's replaced by a star now.

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2009
    My Cousin, used to call them specaily colored pokemon, until Pokemon Diamond and pearl, were if its a "Shiny Pokemon" Is sparkles at the begining, I think nintendo, put in that little extra for the fans, I dont really know though

Golden Shaymin

Taking a short break
    Years
  • Shiny is fanbased, It's named this because of the glittering stars that surround a pokemon making it look shiny, as in: OOOh it Sparkles or: That's Shiny!
    They are very rare but have no extraordinary powers

Quote from Lucas/Dawn:
    Sometimes a patch of grass sparkles when you use the Pokéradar. People say a different-colore Pokémon is hiding there! Could that be true?

Their reference to the Pokéradar doesn't matter but They say: Different-colored instead of: shiny

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
  • Well now, I have no input to add,

but it did answer my question about Shiny Pokemon :D

Thanks.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • The Pokemon fanbase coined the name 'shiny'.

So yay for the fanbase! \o/

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • This has been a question on my lips for ages. I think it is just that fans have spread the term shiny through forums and such, and have gotten used to calling it that.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    As already said, nintendo have been known to call them "alternate colour pokemon". Shiny is easier to say :)

Back