• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are your thoughts on over-hyped games?

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
Years
  • The title says it all really. What often goes through your mind whenever a game that is currently in development is getting hyped? Are you all like "Yay! I can't wait to play this!" or "God! Another hyped game. It's gonna be crap!"

I personally think that hyping a game (like hyping a movie), although exciting for the first part, it does get annoying after a month or so. Also, the majority of games don't tend to live up to the hype.

Although, I was excited during the hype of Smash Bros Brawl.

Discuss...

Kirakishou

*~Snowdrop Crystal~*
    Years
  • The buildup to them is nice, but in the end they're extremely disappointing. Halo 3 in particular is a good example. I was looking forward to playing that for quite some time, then I got it and finished it before I'd had it for even a week. Super Smash Bros Brawl was absolutely terrible. The only remotely good thing about the game was the music.
    The way people sing old game's praises, like Final Fantasy VII in particular, would make you think that they're amazing, but they're below average. People never seem to focus on the good games, and when they do, they hype those up to the point where they're no fun to play anymore, because you come to expect so much more from them than what you get. Fans these days practically deify the object of their adoration.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • I really dont hyoe up for a game. Only pokemon platinum. Anyweh i just really dont see the point. Oh lookie its smash bros! Lets buy it cause its graphics are shiny! No gys its the gameplay that makes it worhtwhile and it was(i really dont see how you hated it kirakishou)

OverlordMia

I'm absolutely CRAZY about it!
    Years
  • The hypes get really annoying, especially when it never dies down. I don't think I've hyped over anything, except maybe WotLK(Wrath of the Lich King) and Platinum but I don't bug everyone I know about it.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • It depends. I'm hypocritical when it comes to hype; I'll always trash anything for the 360 that's overhyped, but if it's on the Wii, I'll jump on the bandwagon of hype, like I did for Super Smash Bros., and how I'm doing for Sonic Unleashed and Tales of Symphonia 2.

This doesn't include Guitar Hero and Rock Band. I hate both of them. >:[
    Generally, I dislike the games that are more overplayed than overhyped.
    WORLD OF WARCRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFT >>>:[

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I just don't pay attention to hype, preferring to judge a game by myself rather than by the crowd it attracts. For example, I play Halo, and show particular interest in the Flood, but stand clear of the drooling mass of rabid fanperson zombies.

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
  • My thoughts on over-hyped games are that they better deliver. However, the way I see it the word over-hyped seems to imply that it didn't meet expectations, so maybe hyped would be a better word. Anyways, most of the time they deliver but sometimes they don't, just like every other game. Some games initially have a lot of hype to them but as hands-on previews continue to pile up they either lose that hype or it continues to grow so the games that are hyped a lot because of this generally end up pretty good games. Too Human is a perfect example of how a game was hyped a lot before it's actual development or very early during it but when the hands-on previews started coming in and they all said the game wasn't good it quickly lost that hype. So basically, if the game manages to make it all the way until it's released riding a wave of hype generally it's well deserved.

Last edited:

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I've been hyping about Fallout 3 ever since Van Buren, if that counts.
    And since the most recently released games I was hyping about (Pokemon Platinum, Dead Space) were up to my expectations, I'm optimistic right now about most common hyped games.

Still, whenever I hear "videogame" and "hype" in the same lines, a mental imagery of Daikatana keeps popping up in mind.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I usually hate over-hyped games the first time I play them and then love them the second time.

I'm not sure why I give them a second play through if I hate them so much to begin with. XD

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • I don't like hyped games, and I don't like to make a game go "OMG THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!!" (unless it's like one of the new Kingdom Hearts games, or Final Fantasy XIII or vs XIII). I try to set my standards low so when I get the game it'll be better then I expected. Like Halo or Gears of War. Everyone was "OMG it's the best thing since sliced bread" and when I got it I really didn't like it. But for Call of Duty World at War I set my standards low, I said it wasn't going to be better then CoD4, it wasn't going to be as flashy and such. And I was right (I got the Beta), and I can say "The game is ok, I'll still be getting it" without getting mad because I didn't hype it.

I can understand a game looking like it'll be good. But when you get to the point where the game is hyped to a point where everyone thinks it's going to be the best thing ever (like Halo 3), that's when downfall comes.

Back