• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gaining general knowledge...

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2016
    I've noticed that my friends seem to know more about general things than i do. For example, they know about current events, geographic locations, discoveries, ect. How can I start gaining general knowledge because it's starting to effect my school work.

Lusankya

The cake is a pie!
    Years
  • Watch the news (and other educational TV shows), read newspapers, and just plain old read books. A lot of my friends ask me how I know so much about random stuff like why glass in old windows is thicker on one side or that coffee creamer makes a great explosive. Just by reading and paying attention to the world around you.

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • If you just want sources of information, you might want to ask around for good websites or shows?

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • I find that reading the newspaper is a great way to gain general knowledge. Even skimming through will help...and it will help you stay up-to-date on current events. Five minutes every morning is not that much, but it can really help you in the long run.

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
  • I'm not really up-to-date with things happening in the word.

I don't have much time to watch the news anymore.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    If you're talking about Geographical locations, a good thing to do is to pay attention in history class, assuming you have that class at school (and assuming you still go to school). Everything else can really be done, as Lusankya has pointed out by watching the news and reading. There really isn't much more a person could to to get more knowledge about the world around you than doing all that. CNN.com seems to be the most active news site in all those general areas. So I suggest going there or doing a simple Google search on whatever you're wondering about at that point in time. Not very hard. And to answer your question, MSN does work; Simple search in Google.

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
  • ^ Yupp. If you want to be up to date with recent happenings around the world, the news should be the first place to look for it. News paper, any online news website, the television... it's almost impossible to not be able to get a hold of the news nowadays.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • It depends on the source of info. Me for example, I know a lot of things about Astronomy because I read books. Yes, reading books is the basic and best method of gaining knowledge.

Phixum

Little presence of insanity
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Sep 23, 2012
    I find it really helpful to stick to people who already have the kind of knowledge you're interested in. Have conversations about them, and look up some information related to those issues from time to another whenever you have time.

Also, join forums that already discuss such issues. Forums are one of the best ways.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I find it really helpful to stick to people who already have the kind of knowledge you're interested in. Have conversations about them, and look up some information related to those issues from time to another whenever you have time.

Also, join forums that already discuss such issues. Forums are one of the best ways.
    ^ This. If you hear them talking about something and what not, remember, you have the internet at the palms of your hand. Search what the talk about, that's what I used to do. If it's Sports, keep up to date with ESPN, general news, checks msn.com. Generally observing what they're talking about helps. Don't know some words and what not? Search it.

There are numerous ways to gain general knowledge, and getting involved in searching for it on the net works. News sites and what not.

Kirakishou

*~Snowdrop Crystal~*
    Years
  • No knowledge is "general knowledge"

Just think about what you would like to know more about and then look at the appropriate sources. What would you like to know more about?

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • All you need to do is consume various media texts. Watch the news, read newspapers and magazines, heck, if there's something you're not sure about, look it up on the internet.

Just start looking up some things and you'll be fine. Gaining general knowledge isn't a hard thing to do.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    General knowledge is knowing X did Y in random movie Z.
    You seem to be after what is called current knowledge.

Years
  • watch The History Channel, The Science Channel, news, and other educational networks and shows. Try reading online a lot if you dont like reading books. i find that Wikipedia and Googling things that interest you also helps in gaining knowledge.

watch your favorite show and try to identify what the characters do and use in their lives. or you could look up info on your favorite show. you might find interesting topics that could relate to the knowledge youre looking for.

get a map, use GPS or compass, or go online and search your home. it's fun ^_^

if your computer can tell you the weather, then use it. like mine (i got a laptop so i frequently use the Dashboard).
    try using online dictionaries.
    read newspapers and magazines (like Time or National Geographic).

you can also watch things online
    Forums also help a lot. you can probably meet people who have the same interests that you do. but you also meet other people and so you might gain something from reading what they say

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Pay attention. Questions have a good chance to spring up in your mind. When they do, do not ignore them. Jot them down at once (because thoughts formed your subconsciousness vanish quickly) and look for the answers when you have the free time. That way, you won't get bored with searching for the answers. It works for me, at least.

Sexycheese

Bye :)
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    The best way is to read, its how i did it. Anything from science, filmaking, litrature (Russian and english classics are important but old greek ones such as the illiad are as well) absolutly anything except pokemon really :)

Back