• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime and Adertising

Is animé more reliant on sex for advertising?

• Total voters

Vernikova

Banned
Years
  • Well, I have been thinking for a while and I've heard enough things about animé. Do you think that animé today is being more sex driven than the shows of yesterday? Or could it be the fact that Japanese animé is more available so it is noticed more.

A side note: I know that all of the pictures below are of women. I used mainly women because they are generally used more in advertising things around of the World.

Some examples of animé being advertised by more questionable means:
    Some things from Code Geass. One of the pictures though is extremely, um, disturbing so just skip over it.
    A lesser one sure, but come on.
    A Ghost in the Shell example

Last edited by a moderator:

otaku-dono

Merkabah
    Years
  • This one is just... stupid. I agree with you on that one.
    Typical anime. I'm assuming that's in a magazine or something? Really, it's typical. There are always ecchi takes on anime.
    Again, innuendo is typical in anime. Well, innuendo like that at least. Have you ever seen Maburaho?
    That's Ghost in the Shell for you though. And really, it's aimed at a more mature audience, so it's not inappropriate.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Well, I have been thinking for a while and I've heard enough things about animé. Do you think that animé today is being more sex driven than the shows of yesterday? Or could it be the fact that Japanese animé is more available so it is noticed more.

A side note: I know that all of the pictures below are of women. I used mainly women because they are generally used more in advertising things around of the World.

Some examples of animé being advertised by more questionable means:
    Some things from Code Geass. One of the pictures though is extremely, um, disturbing so just skip over it. Or digi-kun can just take it off.
    A lesser one sure, but come on.
    A Ghost in the Shell example

A lot of that is just fan service. It's meant to draw in a larger crowd. I'm not sure where the first picture is from, but lots of animes have things like that, take Yoko from Gurren Lagann, I know people who watched the show because "Yoko is so busty o3o".

Another example would be the Chaos;Head opening. The part where all the girls are naked and looking up, that's what I'm talking about. I'm not saying it works, but that's the point in most cases like the Code Geass image. Unless it's hentai, then everything I just said is wrong and doesn't apply at all xD;

Bah I'm sick of typing. I'll clarify later if anyone cares D;

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    Hey, Don't you be raggin' up on meh Kallen from Geass D:<

Eh, Animes have been that way for a long time, but there are some great Animes which don't have OMFGYAYSEXAY girls. ( Mobile Suit Gundam Wing for example )

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    If you think that's too much, then you've obviously never seen stuff like Kanokon or To Love-Ru.

Also, not all anime series rely on pantsu/fanservice for popularity; there are series such as Eureka Seven and Samurai Champloo that have zero(?) fanservice.

But, eh, I guess it depends on your tastes and stuff.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    What's really amusing is actually not necessarily the fanservice, but how drastically the advertising changes from Japan to Dub XD

Ok, just for the record, that first one definitely looks like it's advertising for an eroge, so i really don't think that qualifies into "anime" advertising

but anyways, ya, it IS kinda easier to get people in with the whole fanservice, and honestly, it's what gets them money (even if there may not actually be service, and whichever gender they may be targeting)

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • TO be honest I sorta agree.
    Sailor Moon Anime is very childish and does not include what you mean.
    the Sailor Moon Manga is oppisite includes what you mean.
    Pokemon:I have no idea as i skipped a couple of series!
    errrrr i have no other idea's but toyko mew mew looks kind of-. . ..

Years
    • Age 33
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 13, 2009
    It kinda bothers me though, I mean I kno sex appeal here is different then what it is over there but some anime push it just way too much. Of course, I dont kno whos at fault, the guy the makes it or the guys that enjoy it. And since I dont live in japan (yet :-P) it doesnt really effect me much so I guess I'll live. ( but those ridiculously busty high school girls get on my nerves...I've been to school; its not like that! XD)

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    In 95% of anime, the high school uniform for females will include a miniskirt

The amount and quality of eye candies are getting out of hand

Years
  • To put it simply: There are a lot of people out there who like that aspect of the anime, shall we say. If anything, it's clever advertising in that the companies have seen this niche in the market and are now exploiting it. As for other forms of advertising anime... Well, I'll admit that you don't see it as much as the sexually-orientated stuff, but it is out there. The companies do rely a little heavily on this form of advertising, but that's what's making them money, to be frank.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
  • Also, people are more likely to view it f it has sexual-related content. That is the 21st century. There are a lot of wierdos out there.

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
    Years
  • It isn't called a boob-tube for nothing.

It's just pandering to what designers think will work and sell best. No big surprise: what is considered or thought to be attractive is going to more likely to sell better, so designers just go from there. Not every show does it, of course, but it's nothing new. Cutie Honey is from the 70s, so it isn't all that old, but it's still probably a little older than most people on the forums -- and that show is ripe with fan-service. It's been a part of animanga for a long, long time. (Have you ever looked at some of those drawings from hundreds of years ago? A lot of them are much more risque than a short skirt or tight top.)

TO be honest I sorta agree.
    Sailor Moon Anime is very childish and does not include what you mean.
    the Sailor Moon Manga is oppisite includes what you mean.
    Pokemon:I have no idea as i skipped a couple of series!
    errrrr i have no other idea's but toyko mew mew looks kind of-. . ..

I hate to ruin it for you, but have we watched the same show? The costumes can be pretty revealing; the skirts barely do anything and if I recall, a lot was taken or edited when it came over seas. As for the other shows you mentioned...Pokemon has some fan service in it, but not all much -- that isn't what their strongest demographic is after. And Tokyo Mew Mew isn't that bad, no more than your average show, I'd guess, even if the garters are more uncommon touch. None of these shows are full of it, but they all have it in some degrees.

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • Well,I disagree.
    So if the skirts are kinda short? I dont care,my lil' brother does not care either!Plus most Anime like rumbling hearts is quite good for this thread i'll tell you that!

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
    Years
  • I'm not trying to pick a fight, just make a point: fan service is all over the place. It doesn't make a show bad, it's just a fact of life.

Back