PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of 2012

Reck
January 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Do you think December 21, 2012 will be the end of the world like the Mayans Say it will be?

-What is 2012- (http://www.survive2012.com/)

-2012nostradamus- (http://2012nostradamus.com/)

In the Calender the year 2012 is said to be a time of great change. There is zero scientific evidence that anything will happen, but there are numerous things that could easily threaten the human species in the year 2012, such as a geomagnetic reversal, asteroid strike or redgiant. Or something more intimate, like a flu pandemic, or a nuclear war.

Scary Eh! Thant domes day for you.

According to the Universal Book of Astronomy, Eta Carinae is:
One of the most massive and remarkable known stars; it lies in the constellation Carina. Surrounded by the largest diffuse nebula in the sky, the Eta Carinae Nebula, it is an S Doradus star with a mass of over 100 Msun and a luminosity of about 4 million Lsun, putting it close to the theoretical limit of stellar stability. Only by shedding matter at the prodigious rate of 0.1 Msun per year has it managed to stay in one piece so far. Its variability is extraordinary.
In 1843, it reached a visual magnitude of -1, making it, briefly, the second brightest star after Sirius, despite its distance of some 7,500 light-years. Accompanying this visual brightening was an expulsion of 2 to 3 Msun of material from the star’s polar regions. This material, spewed from the star at speeds close to 700 km/s, formed two large, grayish, bipolar lobes, nicknamed the Homonculus Nebula, that have been photographed in spectacular detail by the Hubble Space Telescope. Each lobe currently expands at a rate of 2.4 million km/hr and spans about 6.4 trillion km.
After the great eruption of the mid-nineteenth century, Eta Car faded in spurts to below naked-eye visibility, settling at about seventh magnitude. Recently, it has started to brighten again, gaining a full magnitude from 1950 to 1992 and is continuing its ascent. Eta Car emits powerfully across a range of wavelengths. At some infrared wavelengths, the star and its nebula are the brightest objects in the sky beyond the Solar System. The mid-infrared emission originates in dust ejected by the star during giant mass-loss events within the past several hundred years. X-rays come from an outer, horseshoe-shaped ring with an electron temperature of about 3 million K, that is about 2 light-years in diameter and was probably caused by an outburst that happened more than a thousand years ago. Regular, small-scale variations in the star’s ultraviolet and X-ray output, with a period of 5.5 years, have led to the suggestion that Eta Car is actually a binary star. According to this theory, previous eruptions may have been due to the orbital interactions of the two stars. As for the star’s powerful X-ray emission, most astronomers agree that this is the result of the collision of two dense stellar winds, but whether these emanate from the two stars of a close interacting binary system or from the fast and slow stellar winds of a single star remains unclear. One thing seems certain: Eta Carina is doomed to explode as a supernova in the not-too-distant future.
Here is picture of this star.
http://www.survive2012.com/images/Eta_Carinae_small.jpg
What do you think of this Real or Fake. Vote and post a comment.

icomeanon6
January 28th, 2009, 04:18 PM
After reading that quote and your post, I see very little cause to be worried.

Fallujah
January 28th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I sure hope not, I want to graduate high school.
Bad Scenario: Yay, I'm half way through my senior year! *world explodes*....
Well ****.....

matt561
January 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Woop were all goin' to die

Oh wait...

Careful With That Axe, Pichu!
January 28th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I think 2012 is as false as my uncle Tom wearing underwear.

Oops.

Avey
January 28th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I used to brush theories about the world ending in 2012 off as ridiculous, but then I heard that Palin was going to run for president in the same year. The theory could be valid!

And yeah, I don't see much happening with your post, the website and the quote. It even said that no one knows why the Mayans decided to choose 2012 as the ending of the world. Maybe they just got bored writing dates in their calender.

Tater Tot
January 28th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I looked it up some more and did a lot of research.. it's bogus. 2012 isn't happening. What they're saying is going to happen is impossible. There is no way that the world can do all of those things by itself. The Mayans just made it up randomly, to see how much buzz it would get. They had a logical reason for 2000, didn't they? Did that happen? If it did, I must have slept through it all. 2000 myth = wrong. 2012 = not happening either.

Lawl, there should be a sticky thread about this, since a new one gets made every two months. XD;

Capt. Couch
January 28th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I used to brush theories about the world ending in 2012 off as ridiculous, but then I heard that Palin was going to run for president in the same year. The theory could be valid!

And yeah, I don't see much happening with your post, the website and the quote. It even said that no one knows why the Mayans decided to choose 2012 as the ending of the world. Maybe they just got bored writing dates in their calender.
It's supposedly the end of their calendar. It's a habit of the human race to predict catastrophic and even asinine things when we can no longer allot ourselves time. I'm sure that most of us are old enough to remember Y2K...

Nutcase "prophets" have been proclaiming events like these for as long as we can remember. As a matter of fact, people claimed that the world would end on New Year's Eve of 2008... We're still here and we're still waiting with no fruitful results.

In other words, there's no need to fear.

Aether
January 28th, 2009, 05:08 PM
Hmmm, it reminds me a lot of all the speculation of Y2K in '99....

Frostbiteकर्म
January 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I doubt we're all going to die that year. At least I hope not, 'cuz that's close to the year I'll be graduating...plus I don't want to die young.

.inLOVE
January 28th, 2009, 05:11 PM
We're not. It's a dumb myth.

icomeanon6
January 28th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I doubt we're all going to die that year. At least I hope not, 'cuz that's close to the year I'll be graduating...plus I don't want to die young.
It's a good thing I'm going to graduate in the year 2011, then. I'm going to get a full year to party before we all die per mandate of the Mayans!

Stronkadonk
January 28th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Seems highly unlikely, I've heard that the Earth will simply cease to exist, that we will line up with the Milky Way and be devastated by comets and meteors, and now this.
It is definitely far-fetched.

Reck
January 28th, 2009, 05:58 PM
lol. i just wanted to make a conversation. Anyway i think its folklore too. I'm graduating in 2013...just throwing that in there. Just wondering who voted it was true...just wondering

Wish
January 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Someone HAD to get tired of writing the whole Mayan calender for thousands of years later. >.>

It's been said before, and I have chosen to believe it's all a myth, just like 2000 and 666.

Spinor
January 28th, 2009, 07:24 PM
December 21 2012 is simply the date were the sunrise will seem to align with the heart of the Milky Way.

It is based on a 25,000 year cycle, the Mayans had extreme faith in astrology.

If the world ends, then I'll just try to survive and repopulate the human race...

Wow, that'd be too much work even for me @~@.

Tokin
January 28th, 2009, 07:42 PM
much like every other "doomsdate" it will be proven to be fake when it gets here, and a new one will arise, like 2035 or 2050, pick one.

Rioku_Zanketa
January 28th, 2009, 08:03 PM
I think it is merely a coincidence..

....but on the off chance I'm wrong, I hope it is something we can physically fight. I'd much rather go down taking out remnants of Hell than a darn heatwave or something.(Greenhouse effect, right?)

Which would be ironic. Because I love fire and heat.

Capt. Couch
January 28th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I think it is merely a coincidence..

....but on the off chance I'm wrong, I hope it is something we can physically fight. I'd much rather go down taking out remnants of Hell than a darn heatwave or something.(Greenhouse effect, right?)

Which would be ironic. Because I love fire and heat.

And if you've played Doom 3, then you've already done that. :)

If it were to happen, I'd imagine it being an asteroid slamming into earth for a colossal explosion. I doubt that's happening any time soon though.

Mario The World Champion
January 28th, 2009, 08:18 PM
2012 is all just a bunch of hogwash made by fearmongers to make everybody panic and do crazy stuff so they can live.

We lived through that Y2K crap and got out fine. I'd like to give my own apocalypse theory to those nutcase prophets!!

parallelzero
January 28th, 2009, 08:45 PM
If we survived Bush's term in office, we'll survive 2012.

...and that's all I have to say about that. XD

Callandor
January 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Im supprised no one's brought up Yellowstone.

icomeanon6
January 28th, 2009, 09:03 PM
What's going on at Yellowstone?

Spinor
January 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM

Oh yeah, I saw that on Discovery... or Science─ erm History? Don't remember.

Anyways, there is a volcanic monster under Yellowstone and some say it could erupt in 2012 and release mass amount of heat and ashes that it will kill us off like dinosaurs.

Yeah, what a theory. I'm more impressed with a Meteor theory.

Callandor
January 28th, 2009, 09:08 PM
Oh yeah, I saw that on Discovery... or Science─ erm History? Don't remember.

Anyways, there is a volcanic monster under Yellowstone and some say it could erupt in 2012 and release mass amount of heat and ashes that it will kill us off like dinosaurs.

Yeah, what a theory. I'm more impressed with a Meteor theory.

you stole my spot light. T-T

Spinor
January 28th, 2009, 09:14 PM
you stole my spot light. T-T

That theory wasn't impressive anyways. I could probably just move to Mexico at the first warning.

I think a change in the magnetic field charges would end the world. No appliances would work wirelessly...EVER!

"The hell with the human race! I have no internet!"

jasonresno
January 28th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I haven't read this whole thread yet, and I probably won't, but the only thing that scares me about 2012 is the possibility of Sarah "Dontcha Know" Palin running for Presidency.

edit:someone beat me to it

Ancient Mayan Calendar Maker: Annnnnnnd 2012 looks like a good place to stop.
Ancient Mayan Guy: Are you sure we should just, you know, stop like that?
Ancient Mayan Calendar Maker: Yeah, I don't see what the big deal is. If they want it to go longer they can themselves..
Ancient Mayan Guy: Good point. I hope future people don't think our stopping at an arbitrary number might somehow signify the end of times.
Ancient Mayan Calendar Maker: Yeah, that'd be absurd.

Ivysaur
January 29th, 2009, 01:18 AM
My opinion about 2012? Michael Phelps will win another pack of medals and leave swimming.

About the end of the world, uh, not like the old Mayans would know when the world will end XD

If we survived Bush's term in office, we'll survive 2012.

...and that's all I have to say about that. XD

I haven't read this whole thread yet, and I probably won't, but the only thing that scares me about 2012 is the possibility of Sarah "Dontcha Know" Palin running for Presidency.

Quoted for the truth.

Astinus
January 29th, 2009, 02:16 AM
It's not only the Mayans who have predicted the world ending in 2012. Nostradamus has also said the same, or something close to it. The problem with Nostradamus is the fact that his predictions can be held true to a lot of different events that happened, and believers look deep into his predictions in order to make them seem true. Also, his language is not specific to anything at all.

And all of those predictions on that survive2012 website could happen at any time. It's not like a random powerful flu virus is just chillaxing until 12/21/2012 rolls around and then suddenly decides to spring itself around massively.

Besides, we all remember Y2K. "Oh noez! Our computers are going to explode and everything will die!" Yet, here we are.

So, in my opinion, 2012 won't happen. There's just not a lot of hard evidence proving that anything will explode in that year, on that day.

*insert Palin joke here*

ErickaVolt
January 29th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I can't tell whether Year 2012 the end of the world is fake or real. Time will tell.

♣Gawain♣
January 29th, 2009, 04:34 AM
No it's fake. For your information Eta Carinae will not blow of sooner than that year. If it ever blows, it's dangerous cosmic rays and radiation will reach earth after approx. 7500- 8000 years from 2012 because of it's distance, which is 7500-800 light-years. Electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light.

*Note, Eta Carina exploded at the past(as the quote above suggest), but not as a supernova. It blows up it shells.

Kaiyori
January 29th, 2009, 04:45 AM
2012 Ending Is Bullplop? I know nothing about anything though XD. But still so many predictions of the ending of the world have been made and I'm still here sitting on my butt waiting for something to happen.

I was like so little in 2000, If Y2K happened I'd be one little scared child o.O.

My opinion about 2012? Michael Phelps will win another pack of medals and leave swimming.

Too true -.-

Forever
January 29th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I often get caught up in believing things for no reason because everyone talks about it, then wonder why I believe it in the end. This is one of those instances. However, logically, I don't think it will happen... but even recently, most people were saying that the LHC machine was going to end the world because of all the possible black holes. After seeing 'black holes' on TV, I've realised that most phenomenons such as that are exaggerated and not as bad as they seem. Now this star, the intensity is most likely exaggerated too, as things such as the 'big bang' which somehow supposedly created the world... well, no star besides the sun would be able to end all life on earth unless it has had a lot longer to build up enough power to cause a catastrophe such as the end of the world. Science may be good, but it can't possibly specify a date that all life will end, especially that far ahead in the future.

Though thinking back to that day the LHC was supposed to cause black holes... what was supposed to happen, were little circles supposed to appear all around the room and all of us being dragged into those? I could just imagine a star exploding and ending life. "I see a light!" "Here, take my sunglasses-- oh damn, it's 2012? Oh well, better make the most of it." Yeah, don't see that happening. However, this gets me thinking about death... was everything we've done here and seen worthwhile? What impact would it make? What happens to our spirits? I don't know, but to me, thinking about a star exploding makes me wonder what death is like... which... really doesn't relate. XD;

But the point is, no, I don't think it's going to happen.

HoneyBubbles
January 29th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I half-belive the theory.
Part of my wants to dismiss the 2012 thing as utter BS, but the other part of me tends to buy into those sort of things. D:

>Feelings<
January 29th, 2009, 05:34 AM
I would vote something in between, but since it doesn't exist, I didn't vote.
Before I say anything, I'd like to inform that none of the things below are of my own opinion, they're not necessarily true, and I don't necessarily believe them.

It is rumored that a number of events will take place in 2012 which might bring an end to this world:

1. The end of the Mayan Calendar will happen in December 21 2012. This gives a lot of people a belief that maybe the Mayans were pointing towards the end of the world, or a new age, or probably a change in world order.

2. 2012 is believed to be a year of spiritual transformation, when humanity might be elevated to a new level.

3. 2012 is believed to be the time for apocalypse's arrival according to some religious hints.

4. There are also theories that a currently unknown planet, sometimes referred to as Planet X or Nibiru, which supposedly has an odd orbit that only enters the local solar system every 3600 years will return in 2012 causing many problems.

5. Some scientists claim that an alignment will occur when the sun rises above the horizon on December 21 2012, at which point the sun will rise in the middle of the Milky Way Galaxy, thus causing an alignment between the earth, sun, and the galactic center.

6. There is supposed to be a huge solar flare in 2012, which will be very destructive.

7. A date predicted for the eruption of the Yellowstone Volcano, which might be great enough to send up a huge amount of smoke and ash, which will later cause the sun's rays being blocked and an Ice age to return, which will supposedly finish everyone.

8. Greenhouse Effect will become dramatically noticeable, and the melting of Greenland and the south pole might drown a huge part of the world.

9. There is a great possibility that in 2012 a shift of the Earth's magnetic poles may occur. This will leave the earth vulnerable to harmful radiations from the sun, and will cause all magnetic/electronic devices, or things that take help from them, to become haywire and eventually useless. This will bring down a huge part what we need to live.

10. Another possibility is that an actual physical shift in the Earth's magnetic poles may occur in 2012. Physical shift means the poles will actually move, and believed to happen at great speed. This movement, which actually has been researched to happen before, has been predicted to strike this 2012 with much greater force than ever before, enough to destroy all cities and maybe even open up huge fissures in the plates.

There are some more possibilities, I think. But I personally don't believe these much, and so am not sure if it is going to be the end of the world. It's all rumor after all.

But I do believe that there will be some great revolutionary changes in 2012, not necessarily destructive, but maybe good changes. I know it will bring a good change to my life :)

deliriouspurple
January 29th, 2009, 05:35 AM
of course not! mythmythmyth...

Cassino
January 29th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I believe not in any religious means by which the world should end, but I would like to see the end of us, since I obviously missed the start.

For scientific theories:
Meteors — destructible by nukes; aircraft with ASAT missiles, et caetera.
Mega-Tsunami/flooding — there are human populations living up in mountains that'll be untouched by the water.
Volcanoes — fungi grow in the dark, we could live on them and whatever else until the sky clears. Gas-masks were invented like a billion years ago so there's those in case the ash is at ground level.
Nuclear war — Isolated populations will survive. No country at war going to bother firing a nuke into the Amazon.

~MasterMind~
January 29th, 2009, 06:50 AM
FAKE!
of course it's fake.

jasonresno
January 29th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I was honestly wondering why can't the Mayans have stopped the calendar at 2012 because, well, they had to stop making a damn calendar sometime?

Razer302
January 29th, 2009, 08:02 AM
I think this is all fake. Either way it doesn't bother me, if the world end it ends if it carries on going it carries on going. I don't really care either way.

I prefer the Yellowstone exploding theory. Loved the show on discovery channel and if it did kill us at least it would just explode and you wouldn't get any warning to think about all the things you could have done, better than having a meteor coming at you and being able to reminisce over your life. (which is what I would hate much more than dieing)

Artemis
January 29th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I think it could be real...I mean honestly three years from now ANYTHING can happen...and to correct the original poster, it is the 22nd of December not the 21st...I learned this in History already (high school budz...u gotta love it) but I do not doubt it is real and I do not doubt it is fake, because like I saif b4 "anything can happen..."

EDIT: Also, if it does end, that'll be good news for all of us actually, because not everyone takes care of out planet earth and is just making the world suffer because of it!

~Kavin~
January 29th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Y2K was so funny to me. A lot of people I knew was so worried but I was extremely calm. Everyone were buying tons of can food. I just blatantly stared. When 2000 hit, I had a ton of I told you so's stored up in my bag. Seems like I need to restore some for 2012.

♣Gawain♣
January 29th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I really can't forget about the year 2000. Lots of people gone nuts 'cause they say the world's gonna end. I hope in the year 2012, I would look up at the opposite of that experience 9 years ago.

.emerald
January 29th, 2009, 08:23 AM
IMHO, I am one of the few who believe in these. But not from the Mayan's prediction. I was convinced due to Nostradamus' predictions. And within three years (2012) maybe the last.

If my memory serves me right:
When Scorpio's stingerhttp://www.psychicguild.com/images/starsign/about/scorpio.gif and http://www.psychicguild.com/images/starsign/about/sagittarius.gifSagittarius' arrow align perfectly to a star. It will all end. I think it will form a 8-spoke wheel or something...

It's up to you to believe, 3 years seems long although there is little time to prepare. ..

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
January 29th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Well, I'll tell you what. If the world does indeed end in 2012 then I will pay every person on PC $25 million. Just ignore the fact that everyone must be dead for me to make the payout. And even then, I'll be dead too XD

JakeyBoy
January 29th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Oh, I DO love a good apocolypse.

6th of June 2006, 1906, etc.
2020, hubungous meteor will hit, either destroying Britain, or missing and causing a huge tsunami.
1998. Bruce Willis saves the world... for now.

Let's face it, the world will only end in a few millions of years, when the sun comes kaput.

Reck
January 29th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Okay i just thought i would set some things straight...at least i think their right(my science teacher told me:knockedou)Magnetic reverses are caused by sea floor speeding and occur approx. every 5000years. And yes they will mess with electronics but it won't destroy cities. It will cause a power outage though. Yellowstone...forgot about that but, it is possible but who could put a date on that. Global Warming has been happening since the end of the ice age. Hell creatures coming out of the ground...well...ummm...do you really believe that? Any way that's what I think. I don't think it will be the end of the world ether...According to the last book in the bible"Revelations"the end of the world is unpredictable. It does stat it will be destroyed by man...If it is the end of the world id say a nuclear war will do us in...

Volkner's Apprentice
January 29th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Ummm, no. The world didn't go into chaos when the new millennium came about, why in the world would this theory hold any more weight? The world won't end until I say it does, when I die in 2150. >_> That's right, I said it, I'm going to die at age 160. ^___^

Netto Azure
January 29th, 2009, 11:13 AM
This is a bunch of Hogwash. There's so many fake "prophecies' out there that it's redundant to hear such "ominous' claims. If the "End of the World" is upon us...accept it!

LethalTexture
January 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM
What do I think of 2012? Yeah, I'm very excited about the Olympics coming to my home country.

Noah Ridgewood
January 29th, 2009, 12:08 PM
That's the dumbest theory I've ever seen and sadly it won't stop popping up. Anyone who believes that really needs to get out more and.. not be so gullible.

The Hero Without a Name
January 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I read in Readers Digest that everything happening right now is the Apocalypse unfolding.

lol.

Eucliffe
January 29th, 2009, 12:49 PM
A theory is but a theory.

Remember the book, "I, Robot"? (it is VERY different from the movie, even though the movie is based off of it) It too place around 2000 roughly, and the book was first published in 1950. The book's assumption was that high-tech robots would be around in 2000, and they'd be everywhere. We only have few as of now, hmm?

And then, Orwell's "1984". That kind of stuff didn't really happen (I didn't read the book, but I've heard enough about it).

Although both are fiction, they still house their own theories. So, in my honest opinion, I have to say this is just a theory, and that we'll continue living (unless someone is crazy enough to blow us all up on that day, but let's not hope for that X_X).

I also don't want to die just after I start college, so... XD

JakeyBoy
January 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Wait...

2012 IS at the start of college! That can't be very useful.

By the way, am I right in thinking that someone is making a movie about this? IIRC, it is directed by someone who has an unhealthy obsession with the end of the world.

Not wanting to start a religious debate, but I think that the story in Revalations is very... interesting. I don't beleive it will happen, but it is suprisingly well interpertted, considering the number of wars in the last few years.

Honest
January 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I hate it when this is bought up. I really do not fear, but if is true, I hate Earth for it. *I want kids!*

Netto Azure
January 29th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I also don't want to die just after I start college, so... XD

I can't wait for College...so the "End of the World" should wait until 2020 or something after college, and when I start pulling hairs on how to pay bills. XD

Also can't wait for the London 2012 Olympics...I wonder how it'll fair with the Beijing 2008 Opening Ceremony. =P

Also to quote Magus:
If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it!
If my fate is to be destroyed, then I must simply laugh.
I'm coming, Lavos!

Jorah
January 29th, 2009, 01:12 PM
For thousands of years people have been making up random dates when the world will end. So, no.

Neety
January 29th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah, whatever happened to the 'Millenium bug'? Planes were supposed to fall out of the sky, life support machines were meant to stop working etc, etc.

I think everyone has a theory when the world will end, but there's not really a bona fide way of being certain.

Heart's Soul
January 29th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I believe in the fact of Nuclear Winter about 75% more than this. Even though that it is possible for it to explode, how can it affect us? Then again, I heard a giant meteorite is going to crash into the Earth, but we are trying to avoid that by making satelites with their own gravity that pull the meteorite away from Earth. Then, it pulls one of our own ships dressed as a meteorite for Halloween. If you couldn't tell, I was being sarcastic. I don't believe in this, I heard this since 2005!

Ice_Emperor
January 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM
It's bull. It's as likely to happen as me getting mauled to death by a tiger on the way to the bus tomarrow...

I don't wanna jinx anything though... >.>

God
January 30th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Sarah Palins running for president.
Period.

Stuff the Mayans.

s0nido
January 30th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I flamed a video on YouTube because they said that the world would end in 2012. I did it with a lot of swearing. Now all I can do is say "This is bogus! Who told you that! You deserve a butt-reddening spanking! I finish school in the same year!"

I liked it when I was able to swear...

Otherwise, I think that the whole theory is bogus. Many religions and cultures say the world will end on a certain date. Islam says that the universe will end when all signs of the Last Day have appeared. Apparently, 95% of them have happened.

Scarlet Weather
January 30th, 2009, 03:34 PM
What are you people saying? The Mayans are perfectly right about the date when the world will end!

Of course, it will start with an earthquake. And Lenny Bruce will not be afraid. But for some reason, I feel fine about that.

Seriously, people, there's no reason to accept the Mayans' word on the subject just because they made a calendar. I'm pretty sure we've all lived through at least one prophecy about the end of the world as we know it already. (If my link button were working right the word 'one' would link you to the wikipedia entry for Nostradamus, but right now you'll just have to use your imagination.)

As far as I'm concerned, the end of the world as we know it is just a happy little song at this point.

Fata1Down
January 30th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I really don't believe that the world's going to end in 2012, but if it were to end, I guess I've had an okay life. But I'm definitely not losing sleep over it.

Marsh-Stomp
January 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM
It's most likely fake. I'd be afraid if the World would end, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to end that quickly.

Giratina ♀
January 31st, 2009, 06:18 PM
I think 2012 is a year that will be passed with people thinking, "Oh! It's Christmas! Hooray!"

Of course if I'm wrong, the song How Far We've Come had better be put on loop on every radio/TV station.

Sublime
January 31st, 2009, 06:18 PM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f163/Matt188_2008/Farfetchd.png

We lived through Y2K, 6/6/06, and the theory of New Year's Eve '08.

It will be an extreme coincidence if the world ends on Dec, 21st 2012.

EDIT:
Sarah Palins running for president.

I take back what I said.
We're doomed.

Mitchman
February 2nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
I have to say i believe it and also its a misconception. Our teacher(the astronomy nut he is)explained to us that the world isnt going to end but what will end is the way we knew the world. For about 100 years or more the gravity on earth and this solar system will change dramatically. That there i do believe not the crap of it ending just like that. I deleted to repost this cause well i forgot the important bit but who the hell cares i mean i dont need a reason behind my words. Do i? Yes i think i do...
He says this as well if i remember correctly an event called the alighnment of the planets is going to happen. That happnens it would be pretty cool to witnesss such a thing as well as i said gravity will go screwy and such. Imagine walking along the road and all the sudden you start floating. Or worse you fall and cant get up from the gravity pull. Yes i would think that would be bring the end.

ASG
February 2nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
I think I'll wait for the movie to come out.

Evilyn
February 2nd, 2009, 12:07 PM
Oh please, it's not like Mayans are gods. Are we supposed to be terrified because some stupid calender will end? Every calender has to run out of pages sooner or later anyway.

We were supposed to die in 2000 too and something tells me I'm still alive.

Clairissa
February 2nd, 2009, 12:28 PM
There's someone or something saying we'll die every year/month/week/day/hour/minute/second, I just think the 2012 thing is the Mayan's own beliefs saying the world ends, there isn't a lot of proof it will other then the days on their calendar stopping.

Shikon no Tama
February 2nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
2012? Dooms Day?

Pfft. As if.
It's more likely to see a pig fly and live on the moon. Y2K was supposed to be the end of the world, and nothing happened. 2012 won't be any different. I'll be 20 that year. It'll be a celebration.

Thomas
February 2nd, 2009, 04:18 PM
I think that it is gonna be a sick movie is what I think, but as for the end of the world? I don't think so...

Chloè
February 2nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
The Mayans just died before they could finish thier calender.... or they ran out of stone...
I don't believe in it. But, that also could be due to my religious stand points as well.
But, if it happens it happens, if it doesnt, it doesn't.

Arrmegedden
February 2nd, 2009, 06:13 PM
What if the mayans meant 20012? I personally think its fake. Maybe a meteor might hit but I dont think i will. The chances that 2012 is THE YEAR OF DHOOM is almost as likely as a giant flee invasion on canada. if i creep anyone out srry. So im just going to be careful on that year just in case. Sniffle Sniffle why is it so close to christmas XO

Raven-NAR-32450
February 2nd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Bah, so what if the Mayan calander ends at 2012? maybe they just didn't get to add more dates to it before they themselves were killed off by the conquistadors or soemthing, either way, this whole doomsday thing is just some fantasy that somone scientist made up because a small detail was picked out.

Shovel Knight
February 3rd, 2009, 05:56 AM
I try not to worry about it when other people talk about it, if it happens it happens :/

the bitter end.
February 3rd, 2009, 06:19 AM
Fake. honestly, what did the Mayans know that we didn't? That there gods told them that on a specific date the world would end? It's not likely that it means anything...

EmeraldSky
February 3rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
I don't believe it--the Bible says that "You will not know the hour or the day" the world ends.

Blue Kyogre
February 3rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
At first I watched it on the History Channel which I am never watching again, I believed it. But then one of my classmates asked about it to the teacher. She says she lived through like 5 of those "end of the world" dates.