• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

School

Years
  • Share with us what your opinions on school are.

Like...
    Do you deem it necessary?
    If yes, to what extent?
    What classes are/were mandatory in your school years, other than Social Studies, English, Mathematics, and Science?
    What classes would you like to have been or not been mandatory?
    What are your views on Gym Class?
    Health Class?
    And finally...
    What were your favorite/least favorite years in school?

Do you deem it necessary? - Yes
    If yes, to what extent? - At least through High School.
    What classes are/were mandatory in your school years, other than Social Studies, English, Mathematics, and Science? Health, Keyboarding.
    What classes would you like to have been or not been mandatory? Keyboarding.
    What are your views on Gym Class? It should be forced; either that or every year at that school must have at least one sport season in it.
    Health Class? It should be in place; kids need to learn important things, although shoving the 'don't do drugs' crap down the throats of the students is a bit over the top, as I think that many people would get the point after years of that preaching.
    And finally...
    What were your favorite/least favorite years in school? So far, I have really enjoyed my youngest years, fifth grade, and my Freshmen year in High School.
    I didn't like sixth grade, though.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • 1&2. Yes, school is necessary - otherwise, y'all would just be running around being more foolish than you already are. And for the second question - what is this? Great Expectations?

3. Foreign Language, Sex ED, CPR, Health, Swimming, Art, Music.

4. Not answering. cbf.

5. Fine.

6. Fun. No sarcasm, but I'm feeling peachy right now. Sarcasm in that second bit.

7. I'm not done yet. I can't properly select a year(s).

Snow Phoenix

The transient snowman
    Years
  • I guess I do feel that it would seem necessary, however, a lot of people just waste thier time going through school and really why do they come to school if it's not to learn. If they don't come to school to learn then they don't care and most of it is wasted. There are also a couple of points of school that well I don't think help much or don't necessarily help/should dictate intelligence.

The program that I'm in requires me to take a Foriegn Language, a Math Class (Every Year), an english class (Every Year), a history class (Every year), and a science class (Every year). In return I get to not do somethings required to get my high school diploma and I take advance classes.

I can't anwser much else though, but I'll awnser the last one. I personally think elementary classes and High school were my favorite simply because middle school was just like a prequisite for the knowledge I pocess today. Honestly all of those classes taught basics that I feel could have been and should should have been taught together with my high school classes. I really didn't learn anything there that I wouldn't have learned in high school and I'm only in my Freshman year. It is said that in Elementary school that people are said to change the most and really I feel that only those basics were needed in High school for me. I think it might just be because I'm a quick learner though XD.

Years
  • Do you deem it necessary?-Yes.
    If yes, to what extent?-Through college, if you want a job in the future...
    What classes are/were mandatory in your school years, other than Social Studies, English, Mathematics, and Science?- French, Health
    What classes would you like to have been or not been mandatory?- I would have like Spanish or Dutch to be mandatory...That way we could have a better hold on diversity.
    What are your views on Gym Class?- It should not be forced. I know kids who like and who do not like gym class. Yes, it's good for your health, but school is for studies.
    Health Class?- Yes. I think we need to know how our own bodies work, and it relates to science
    And finally...
    What were your favorite/least favorite years in school? Meh, sixth grade. A.K.A. the years you need to try ALOT harder...

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
  • Do you deem it necessary?
    Grudgingly, yes. I know there are things you'll use in the world, but they have to surround it with useless junk. (Pythagorian Theorem, anyone?)

What classes are/were mandatory in your school years, other than Social Studies, English, Mathematics, and Science?
    Health Ed (worst class ever. It's Broadie Time!), 2 tech classes, and foreign language.

Health=Bad. Me and two other people fainted in that class due to a very disgusting STD powerpoint

It's fun if you're in a class like team sports, where you get to mess around with floor hockey or soccer. If you're in the remedial class like 'fit for life' expect to do Tai Bo for a semester. It's vital to get you moving, especially since you're stuck sitting down in a building for 8 hours a day

Health Class?
    Unnecessarily Disgusting

And finally...
    Least favorite years were definately middle school. The best/favorite was last year (sophmore year) my junior year is ok...

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    It's needed to mature and nurture the intelligence children are able to use, but certain aspects of it are unnecessary. If you want to work in pharmacy, what's the point of studying geography or writing an English essay? The education is flawed in that way, but it covers by making sure there's something for everyone so it's okay.

We don't even have Social Studies in my year, or if we do, we refer to it by a different name. I was forced to do Business, Irish, History, Geography and CSPE. We have hardly any choices in my school.

What classes would you like to have been or not been mandatory
    CSPE was an absolute waste of time, and everything do with business is vapid. Oh, and don't get me started on Irish. Probably the hardest subject I have.

It's awesome. We get to kill eighty minutes a week playing soccer or whatever, and everyone in my class is seriously competitive so the games we play are deadly. It also helps unfit people do some exercise.

Health Class?
    Ridiculous. It pretends to cover a lot of issues but it really doesn't. A complete waste of time.

Meh, every year I've had in both primary and secondary school have been great. My teachers are all brilliant; I don't have anything to complain about.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022

Yes

If yes, to what extent?

Only certain classes that one believes will benefit them in the future.

Art/Drama/Cooking(any of the three),a vocational class, gym class, a life management class.

Art/Drama/Cooking, whichever should not be mandatory if you are not planning on majoring any on the topics. Sciences such as chemistry should not be mandatory. I think physics and biology should be mandatory because they teach basic things that should be common knowledge.

I think it is great because I've seen plenty of obese people at school and they should really exercise lol
    Health Class?

Again, just basic things. I don't care how many calories does a can of coca-cola have.
    And finally...

Sophomore year at high school was terrible for me. Freshman year was okay. Right now I'm having another "okay" year.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Do you deem it necessary? Of course, if you want to be something in life.

If yes, to what extent? University.

What classes are/were mandatory in your school years, other than Social Studies, English, Mathematics, and Science? English wasn't, in my first school years, there was Portuguese and, in the fifth grade, we could select a foreign language to learn. I chose English. Never had Social Studies o.o'... but oh well. Other than those, Physical Education and History were mandatory until the 9th grade.

What classes would you like to have been or not been mandatory? I wish that Philosophy wasn't mandatory. Started having Philosophy classes this school year (10th grade) and they are SO damn boring. :[

What are your views on Gym Class? Either going into a gym or a certain sport classes during a whole year.

Health Class? I wish we had those. Some people over here need to learn some basic little things.

What were your favorite/least favorite years in school? I hated the 8th grade. Worst marks ever. My favourite grades were the 9th and the current one (10th). Best marks ever :D

Last edited:

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    Of course. School is a necessity for education and success in life. Even though we may hate it sometimes, it is for our benefit and future. No offense to those who drop out and think it's "cool" to wag and skip school, but it's a huge mistake considering this is the education that you're going to be relying on for the most part of your life in making your decisions and career.

If yes, to what extent?
    At least high school, university is a much safer bet for the majority of people wanting success though.

At junior levels, everything there and Phys Ed were compulsory. Social Studies and Sciences become optional for seniors. And at Year 12 (11th Grade), Maths is no longer compulsory and at Year 13 (12th Grade) English is no longer compulsory.

Although it is good to get a general understanding on a variety of things, Social Studies. Never enjoyed it much, regardless of my marks.

Fun - most of the time.

Health Class?
    Boring and a complete waste of time going over material that is simply common sense.

I miss my last year at primary school; that was a pretty good year. And most of my high school years have been pretty good, with this year probably going to be the best. My first years at primary were probably my worst years I've ever had at school.

Years
  • Do you deem it necessary? Yes for a successful ife.
    If yes, to what extent? To a point where you think it has and will not help you and your life, EVER.
    What classes are/were mandatory in your school years, other than Social Studies, English, Mathematics, and Science? Option and P.E
    What classes would you like to have been or not been mandatory? P.E not mandatory.
    What are your views on Gym Class? I HATE IT!
    Health Class? O.k. I learn how to live a healthy life.
    What were your favorite/least favorite years in school? 2007-2008.

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
  • Do you deem it necessary? I think it is, or else there would be no structure or formula to life and it sets people up to do the best job they can
    If yes, to what extent? Completely, I would be happy to see school mandatory up to 18.
    What classes are/were mandatory in your school years, other than Social Studies, English, Mathematics, and Science? Just those, and I think an Art (Music, Art or Textiles) might have been.
    What classes would you like to have been or not been mandatory? I think they had the right mix of mandatory and non-mandatory lessons at my school
    What are your views on Gym Class? Hated it. I'm physically weak and asthmatic, so aside from high jump, I hated it. However, it shoudl remain mandatory to get kids some exercise.
    Health Class? Didn't have it.
    And finally...
    What were your favorite/least favorite years in school? A-level years (ages 16-18) because the bullies left and I did lessons I loved.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Do you deem it necessary? Yes, but the authorities must ensure there are different types of schools to fit everyone
    If yes, to what extent? It has to be up to university.
    What classes are/were mandatory in your school years, other than Social Studies, English, Mathematics, and Science? Other languages, history, PE...
    What classes would you like to have been or not been mandatory? History is optional
    What are your views on Gym Class? Never had a gym
    Health Class? Needed, but not as an exam subject
    And finally...
    What were your favorite/least favorite years in school? No comment

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Of course it's necessary. I'd still go if I had a choice.

If yes, to what extent?
    We need education for future jobs and in everyday life, so up until University,

Physical Education and other languages are important, as well as Music, Art, etc.

Maths and Studies of Society and Environment.

I love it. It's good fun and it keeps me fit. :3

Health Class?

Don't have a health class. :o

Favourite subjects are P.E, English and Science.
    Least would be S.O.S.E and Mathematics.

Back