• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Transferring Licensed Software

moments.

quixotic
Years
  • Hey everyone, so I recently got a new laptop and I need some help.
    On my old computer, I have Adobe Photoshop but I do not have the CD or serial key anymore as I borrowed it from a friend.
    Is it possible for me to transfer this software over to my new computer? Can I like drag all the program files and everything, or do I need the CD?

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • to install it again, you would have to have the cd, however I've had luck running a copy of the original program files from a flash disc before. you might try seeing if you can see the serial number in the lower left corner in the About Photoshop dialog, if you can get a cd that will install photoshop (or even an old trial version installer would work) then you could effectively install and activate with the key from the about box of the program on your former computer.

Years
  • They intentionally leave off the last 5 digits of the serial number when you do Help > About so this method will not work. In addition to that, depending on your version, that help window may not even display any of the serial number any more (CS3 Extended, at least as part of the Design Suite Premium doesn't).

Unfortunately, without at least the serial number in its entirety, you can't reinstall the software. If you could get a hold of the serial number though and the version you're using is new enough to still have a trial version available from Adobe, you should be able to reinstall without a problem.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Ok I can't find the key in Photoshop.
    I read somewhere that it is stored in the registry of the computer, but I don't know where to look or how to get to the registry...
    I also heard that by using a product key finder program you could find it but I had had no such luck...

So my options are either to locate the key through the registry, load all the program files onto a flash drive and re install it (maybe with a trial version) or to create an image of my old laptop and transfer it to my new one.

How can I transfer the whole image of my old laptop to my new one? Do I need software to do so?

Thanks in advance guys!

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Thanks a lot Gerri!
    So I can create a copy of my Hard Drive and then how do I transfer it? Do I like put the copied version onto a flash device like a portable hard drive, and then just proceed to copy and paste?

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • provided the external disc is as large or larger than the amount of data you have on your old computer's hard drive, and has enough space on it, yeah.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Alright, thanks a lot Gerri, you have been of great help and have saved me!
    So when I make my copy of it, all the programs will remain installed and I can just up and go from the moment it finished transferring to the new computer?

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • Alright thanks a lot, I will have a play around a little later and tell how it all goes!
    Thanks so much Gerri for all your help!

Back